Cooking Equipment (rec.food.equipment) Discussion of food-related equipment. Includes items used in food preparation and storage, including major and minor appliances, gadgets and utensils, infrastructure, and food- and recipe-related software.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

I purchased what I thought was a good quality Maytag electric stove about 10 years ago. It has coil burners which are getting slower and slower to heat up. Also, the electrical connectors on the coils sometimes do not make good contact and the coils do not come on until the coil is removed and then stuck back into the connector. What I am looking for is a better quality electric stove with higher power coils so that things heat up quicker. I also want a convection oven this time. Do you have any suggestions for well-built models? We do not have gas in our area.

Perhaps I should just replace all the coils (and their connectors) with new ones or perhaps you can get higher wattage replacement units--I just don't know. Coils (it seems to me) are more capable of rapid heatup than ceramic top ranges and will conform to my pots and pans which do not have perfectly flat bottoms. Perhaps the new induction stoves are the better way to go. I just don't know what to do.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance

Mike D
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 339
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

On Sun, 7 May 2006, Mike Danielson > wrote:

><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
><HTML><HEAD>
><META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
><META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2873" name=GENERATOR>
><STYLE></STYLE>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=#ffffff>

[rest snipped...]

Please do not post html encoded messages on Usenet. This is a text
newsgroup. Your software had a default of text. Please change it back.

Thanks, Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,442
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

In article >,
says...
> I purchased what I thought was a good quality Maytag electric stove about 10 years ago. It has coil burners which are getting slower and slower to heat up. Also, the electrical connectors on the coils sometimes do not make good contact and the coils do not come on until the coil is removed and then stuck back into the connector. What I am looking for is a better quality electric stove with higher power coils so that things heat up quicker. I also want a convection

oven this time. Do you have any suggestions for well-built models? We do not have gas in our area.
>
> Perhaps I should just replace all the coils (and their connectors) with new ones or perhaps you can get higher wattage replacement units--I just don't know. Coils (it seems to me) are more capable of rapid heatup than ceramic top ranges and will conform to my pots and pans which do not have perfectly flat bottoms. Perhaps the new induction stoves are the better way to go. I just don't know what to do.
>
>
>


We bought a Dacor flattop range 8 years ago and it has been a great
performer. The coils heat and cool faster than a standard open coil
range, and it has a dual-size element that is very handy. The oven
(convection and regular) is the best I have ever used. The only problem
has been cracking in the fascia (the plastic panel behind the knobs)
which was fixed free even though the warranty had expired.

You do not need perfectly flat pans. They are ideal, of course, but not
required. We use all kinds of pans - stainless, cast iron, aluminum,
enamelled, copper - all with good results.

It's pricey - about $2K as I recall - but an excellent product.



--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at
www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 933
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

Mike Danielson wrote:
> I purchased what I thought was a good quality Maytag electric stove
> about 10 years ago. It has coil burners which are getting slower and
> slower to heat up. Also, the electrical connectors on the coils
> sometimes do not make good contact and the coils do not come on until
> the coil is removed and then stuck back into the connector.


The "old" type with the coils will always have the problems
you describe sooner or later. More than likely, sooner.

> What I am looking for is a better quality electric stove with higher power coils
> so that things heat up quicker. I also want a convection oven this
> time. Do you have any suggestions for well-built models? We do not
> have gas in our area.


I bought a GE flattop (glass) electric about 5 years ago.
LOVE IT. The model that I bought isn't convection but my
combo convec/micro obviously is so I don't really miss it at
all.
>
> Perhaps I should just replace all the coils (and their connectors) with
> new ones or perhaps you can get higher wattage replacement units--I just
> don't know. Coils (it seems to me) are more capable of rapid heatup
> than ceramic top ranges and will conform to my pots and pans which do
> not have perfectly flat bottoms.


No way a coil is going to heat up as fast as our glass top.
It'd not convection but heat up is *very* fast. Obviously,
not as fast as instant on gas but it ain't bad.

As for replacing the coils, they're gonna go bad again, just
a matter of when.

Perfectly flat pans aren't required for flattops, although
preferable. If you have cookware with "serious" dents etc in
them then that may be an issue but it hasn't been a problem
for me yet. Thankfully, all of my good cookware is pretty
much flat because it has very thick bases. I do have some
"flimsy" aluminum pans that are kind of warped. They work,
but just heat slower. One of these days I really need to
toss 'em and get some Corningware or something similar to
replace them.

Perhaps the new induction stoves are
> the better way to go. I just don't know what to do.


Induction is fabulous, if... you've got the money. Be
prepared for sticker shock.


Oh, and BTW... yes, please "ditch" the HTML. It's a big-time
"no-no" in "usenet-land".


--
Steve
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
sd sd is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 138
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

In article >,
"Mike Danielson" > wrote:

> Do you have any suggestions for well-built
> models?


GE is supposed to make a good range (stove). I don't happen to care
much for GE, so I won't recommend them.

In lower price ranges, Electrolux's Frigidaire (and the ranges
Electrolux makes for Sears under their Kenmore and Kenmore Elite
brands) are good electric ranges; some of the more expensive models
have a fan-assisted convection oven.

Whirlpool also makes generally-good appliances, sold under the
Roper, Kirkland (Costco), Whirlpool, and KitchenAid brands. I
believe they also make some models for Sears. Convection is
available in the Whirlpool and KitchenAid lines.

sd


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 566
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:57:17 -0500, sd > wrote:

>GE is supposed to make a good range (stove). I don't happen to care
>much for GE, so I won't recommend them.
>
>Whirlpool also makes generally-good appliances, sold under the
>Roper, Kirkland (Costco), Whirlpool, and KitchenAid brands.


And Jenn-air and Maytag, after the merger

We're on our second GE Profile smoothtop, this one a two-oven tri-convection
model, and recommend them.

You will find a lot more information in the thread entitled "Smooth top ranges
vs coil" from the first week in March.

-- Larry

  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,313
Default Need a Better Electric Stove


"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
...
> On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:57:17 -0500, sd > wrote:
>
>>GE is supposed to make a good range (stove). I don't happen to care
>>much for GE, so I won't recommend them.
>>
>>Whirlpool also makes generally-good appliances, sold under the
>>Roper, Kirkland (Costco), Whirlpool, and KitchenAid brands.

>
> And Jenn-air and Maytag, after the merger
>
> We're on our second GE Profile smoothtop, this one a two-oven
> tri-convection
> model, and recommend them.
> -- Larry


Larry, pray-tell, what happened to the first GE Profile smoothtop? Did you
wear it out, or move, or just want a newer model?
Thanks,
Dee


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 566
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

On Wed, 10 May 2006 00:20:38 -0400, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>> We're on our second GE Profile smoothtop, this one a two-oven
>> tri-convection model, and recommend them.

>
>Larry, pray-tell, what happened to the first GE Profile smoothtop? Did you
>wear it out, or move, or just want a newer model?


The last. We're completely redoing the kitchen and bought all new stainless
steel appliances (I posted the blow-by-blow of the cabinets and granite being
installed, etc. a while back.) The 8-year old GE in white is now in the kitchen
of one of my friends, working just fine.

There are a few advantages to the new one, however:

1. It has two ovens, and convection in the main oven.

2. The oven racks are much heavier, and enameled instead of stainless, so they
can go through the self-cleaning cycles without deteriorating.

3. It has a hidden heating element -- a little slower to warm up, but much
easier to keep clean.

4. The lip around the cooktop is much lower, and thus interferes much less with
very large pans, like my huge old Cuisinart round stainless griddle.

It's nice to see that GE does improve their products. Of course, this one cost
twice as much too... 8

-- Larry

  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,313
Default Need a Better Electric Stove


"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
...
> On Wed, 10 May 2006 00:20:38 -0400, "Dee Randall" >
> wrote:
>
>>> We're on our second GE Profile smoothtop, this one a two-oven
>>> tri-convection model, and recommend them.

>>
>>Larry, pray-tell, what happened to the first GE Profile smoothtop? Did
>>you
>>wear it out, or move, or just want a newer model?

>
> The last. We're completely redoing the kitchen and bought all new
> stainless
> steel appliances (I posted the blow-by-blow of the cabinets and granite
> being
> installed, etc. a while back.) The 8-year old GE in white is now in the
> kitchen
> of one of my friends, working just fine.
>
> There are a few advantages to the new one, however:
>
> 1. It has two ovens, and convection in the main oven.
>
> 2. The oven racks are much heavier, and enameled instead of stainless, so
> they
> can go through the self-cleaning cycles without deteriorating.
>
> 3. It has a hidden heating element -- a little slower to warm up, but much
> easier to keep clean.
>
> 4. The lip around the cooktop is much lower, and thus interferes much less
> with
> very large pans, like my huge old Cuisinart round stainless griddle.
>
> It's nice to see that GE does improve their products. Of course, this one
> cost
> twice as much too... 8
>
> -- Larry


Geez, Larry, you must be made of money! (;-)))
Just kidding, I'm so glad you got what you want. Makes life a little nicer.
Thanks for steering me around to looking again and taking the time to
answer.
Dee


  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 530
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

On Wed, 10 May 2006 15:11:04 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>Geez, Larry, you must be made of money! (;-)))
>Just kidding, I'm so glad you got what you want. Makes life a little nicer.


Sometimes it feels like we're bleeding money on this project... 8

Late last year, we made the decision to stay in this 18-year-old
townhouse at least another five years, until I (probably) retire.
Since we've had a big housing boom around here, we decided it was time
to refinance the house, take out $50K, and re-do the kitchen, rec
room, and carpeting. I don't think we'll lose anything on the
investment.

Painful, yes, but we both like to cook, and we'll get to enjoy this
kitchen for a while. It's been a huge pleasure for the last month
having nothing but drawers -- no more bending down or kneeling to find
those well-hidden pans.

But we're already taking notes on what we'd do differently next time
-- maybe when we build a retirement home somewhere.

-- Larry



  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

A number of people don't seem interested in answering your question.

Some people don' t seem to understand that for some people, flat tops
are undesirable. They scratch, discolor, crack, don't accommodate
oversized pans and griddles, etc.

I'd just recommend looking for a cooktop with coils that have a higher
number of coils in each set. They perform better.

  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21
Default Need a Better Electric Stove


Steve Calvin wrote:

> I answered with a perfectly good recommendation. Your ideas
> of a flattop are totally without merit. None of the above
> apply to the unit that I have. Period. I suggest that you do
> some research prior to badmouthing what you obviously do not
> understand.
>


>
> --
> Steve


Do your own homework:

http://ellenskitchen.com/forum/messages/422.html

  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 566
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

On 11 May 2006 15:21:38 -0700, wrote:

>> I'm on my third smooth cooktop range, and I know many others with
>> smooth cooktops. Not one has had any of those problems.
>>to a bridge element? I haven't.

>
>Try this:
>
>
http://ellenskitchen.com/forum/messages/422.html

Wow! What a collection of low-IQ dips who can't follow written instructions!
They make USEnet look like a Mensa convention.

Wonderful tidbits like "Out of the 22 pots and pans we have - all calphalon or
Mauviel (very expensive copper that we received as wedding gifts last year) -
only 5 or 6 will FIT the burner size."

There's not one useful item of information on that entire page of misinformation
and old wives' tales.

-- Larry



  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 933
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

wrote:
> pltrgyst wrote:
>
>
>>I'm on my third smooth cooktop range, and I know many others with
>>smooth cooktops. Not one has had any of those problems.
>>

>
> to a bridge element? I haven't.
>
>>-- Larry

>
>
> Try this:
>
>
http://ellenskitchen.com/forum/messages/422.html
>


You really need to stop believing everything you read and
get some first-hand practical experience.

--
Steve
  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21
Default Need a Better Electric Stove


Steve Calvin wrote:

> >

> Believe me, I have. I've actually OWNED and USED all of the
> types. You wouldn't know a stovetop if it bit you.
>
> --
> Steve


Your sample size of YOU sucks. That's why I sent you to that site.
But I guess you won't be bothered by facts.

  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21
Default Need a Better Electric Stove


Steve Calvin wrote:

> >

> Go troll some group that you actually know something about
> asshole.
>
> amf
>
> --
> Steve


Trolls are the ones who feel the need to resort to foul language when
they're shown to be ignorant.



  #22 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 933
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>
>>Go troll some group that you actually know something about
>>asshole.
>>
>>amf
>>
>>--
>>Steve

>
>
> Trolls are the ones who feel the need to resort to foul language when
> they're shown to be ignorant.
>

Damn... I screwed up the entry in the ol' kf.

As a parting suggestion to you. Before you go in with
blinders on quoting some website, do some REAL research.
Actually USE the units you're talking about.

I've owned commercial and residential gas stoves. Coil
electrics and flattops. Convection and non-convection and
speak from personal experience. Can you say that?

Given my experience, I'd opt for one of the higher end
electric flattops in a home environment over any of the
above. As I said earlier, had you bothered to read, my GE
flattop works wonderfully. CI, griddles, etc no problem, IF
you get a quality range with the proper burner layout for
your requirements.

Professionals cooking in a resterant environment obviously
have different requirements but also have the room and
finances to foot the bill for high end commercial gas units.
These units serve no purpose in a home environment, unless
you're trying to impress someone with an appliance which you
probably don't know how to operate properly in the first place.

I needed large pan and griddle support so I made sure to get
one with a bridge burner (you'll have to look that up on
your internet sources to find out what that is). I also have
a warming zone as well as burners with multiple sized elements.

You sir, or ma'am, actually need to do some REAL-LIFE
homework before you attempt to spout that you know what
you're talking about, which is obviously not the case.

<off to fix that damn typo in the kf>
--
Steve
  #24 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,313
Default Need a Better Electric Stove


> wrote in message
ups.com...
>A number of people don't seem interested in answering your question.
>
> Some people don' t seem to understand that for some people, flat tops
> are undesirable. They scratch, discolor, crack, don't accommodate
> oversized pans and griddles, etc.
>
> I'd just recommend looking for a cooktop with coils that have a higher
> number of coils in each set. They perform better.
>


Crack?
Tell me more.
Thanks,
Dee


  #25 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,313
Default Need a Better Electric Stove


> wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>> I answered with a perfectly good recommendation. Your ideas
>> of a flattop are totally without merit. None of the above
>> apply to the unit that I have. Period. I suggest that you do
>> some research prior to badmouthing what you obviously do not
>> understand.
>>

>
>>
>> --
>> Steve

>
> Do your own homework:
>
> http://ellenskitchen.com/forum/messages/422.html


Thanks for this link.
Dee Dee




  #27 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 933
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

Dee Randall wrote:

>
> I've started being less careful with the smoothtop I bought -- since it was
> used -- and have seen that some use it asa counter top, but since it
> scratches so readily (so I've read), I wonder the wisom of doing that. A
> lot of time when I'm cooking I lay down a sheet of aluminum foil over it to
> lay nasty spoons and small cooking utensils so that I don't have to clean
> off the burner - just as I do with my countertops, but I still wonder if
> this is a good idea to get into the habit of doing.
> Thanks for any further advice.
> Dee
>
>


Dee,

I don't take any special care to avoid scratches. Think
about it a bit, what do you know of that will scratch a
window? A fork or spoon or pan? I don't think so.

--
Steve
  #29 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,620
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

On Thu 11 May 2006 08:06:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

>
> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> ...
>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Some people don' t seem to understand that for some people, flat tops
>>> are undesirable.

>>
>> An interesting opinion.
>>
>> In my opinion, after three years with a smooth top range, it is far
>> superior to any of the coil ranges I've owned over the last 35 years.
>> If it were only the equal, I would still recommend smooth top since
>> they can be used as counter tops when they aren't involved in cooking.
>>
>> Matthew

>
> I've started being less careful with the smoothtop I bought -- since it
> was used -- and have seen that some use it asa counter top, but since it
> scratches so readily (so I've read), I wonder the wisom of doing that.
> A lot of time when I'm cooking I lay down a sheet of aluminum foil over
> it to lay nasty spoons and small cooking utensils so that I don't have
> to clean off the burner - just as I do with my countertops, but I still
> wonder if this is a good idea to get into the habit of doing.
> Thanks for any further advice.
> Dee


I'm somewhat careful with the smoothtops I've had and try not to skate pots
all over it without lifting. However, they don't scratch that easily. The
only really visible scratch I ever had was from a Pyrex casserole dish that
fell onto the top from the cabinet above. I was amazed that it didn't
totally break the top.

--
Wayne Boatwright @@
_____________________
  #30 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,313
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

>
> I'm somewhat careful with the smoothtops I've had and try not to skate
> pots
> all over it without lifting. However, they don't scratch that easily.
> The
> only really visible scratch I ever had was from a Pyrex casserole dish
> that
> fell onto the top from the cabinet above. I was amazed that it didn't
> totally break the top.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @@
> _____________________


Now, since I have the smoothtop, when I put away my pyrex measuring cups
(six 2-cups) and (four 4-cups) over the stove, I now wonder when I'm going
to drop one onto the smoothtop. I did drop one previously onto electric
coils and it broke into smithereens. I do buy pyrex instead of the other
brand, as I feel it is sturdier, but it didn't keep it from breaking. I
don't know what it would do to the smoothtop. I'll be looking for someplace
else to put them, if and when I replace the range, as a hood will keep me
from dropping them unto the stove. This has been really useful space and
I'll miss it.
Dee Dee




  #31 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 286
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

Dee Randall wrote:

>
> Now, since I have the smoothtop, when I put away my pyrex measuring cups
> (six 2-cups) and (four 4-cups) over the stove, I now wonder when I'm going
> to drop one onto the smoothtop.


I will admit that I have cosigned the cupboard over the flat top to
rarely used items.

Matthew

--
I'm a contractor. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?
  #32 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,313
Default Need a Better Electric Stove



>
> We're on our second GE Profile smoothtop, this one a two-oven
> tri-convection
> model, and recommend them.
>


>
> -- Larry


Hi Larry,
What can you tell me about this particular featu Hi/Low Broil - and how
it works and its advantages.

I won't be purchasing the tri-convection, but I see that hi/Low Broil
feature is not the regular GE Profile or the similar Kenmore, which I am
considering probably the Kenmore.

Also it seems out-of-character not to have a hi/low broil feature on the GE
Profile or similar Kenmore, when I see a similar quality Fridgidaire does
have the feature.
Thanks, Larry,
Dee Dee



  #33 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 933
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

Dee Randall wrote:
>>We're on our second GE Profile smoothtop, this one a two-oven
>>tri-convection
>>model, and recommend them.
>>

>
>
>>-- Larry

>
>
> Hi Larry,
> What can you tell me about this particular featu Hi/Low Broil - and how
> it works and its advantages.
>
> I won't be purchasing the tri-convection, but I see that hi/Low Broil
> feature is not the regular GE Profile or the similar Kenmore, which I am
> considering probably the Kenmore.
>
> Also it seems out-of-character not to have a hi/low broil feature on the GE
> Profile or similar Kenmore, when I see a similar quality Fridgidaire does
> have the feature.
> Thanks, Larry,
> Dee Dee
>
>
>

I'm slightly confused Dee (but that's rather normal ;-) )

I have a freestanding GE Profile smoothtop with oven and it
dies in fact have a hi/low broil feature. Honestly, I
haven't really used it much because when I want that much
heat I usually do it on my Weber gas grill. I "assume" that
the difference between hi and low broil setting is the
temperature but I don't know what temps equate to the settings.

--
Steve
  #34 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,313
Default Need a Better Electric Stove


"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
...
> Dee Randall wrote:
>>>We're on our second GE Profile smoothtop, this one a two-oven
>>>tri-convection
>>>model, and recommend them.
>>>

>>
>>
>>>-- Larry

>>
>>
>> Hi Larry,
>> What can you tell me about this particular featu Hi/Low Broil - and
>> how it works and its advantages.
>>
>> I won't be purchasing the tri-convection, but I see that hi/Low Broil
>> feature is not the regular GE Profile or the similar Kenmore, which I am
>> considering probably the Kenmore.
>>
>> Also it seems out-of-character not to have a hi/low broil feature on the
>> GE Profile or similar Kenmore, when I see a similar quality Fridgidaire
>> does have the feature.
>> Thanks, Larry,
>> Dee Dee
>>
>>
>>

> I'm slightly confused Dee (but that's rather normal ;-) )
>
> I have a freestanding GE Profile smoothtop with oven and it dies in fact
> have a hi/low broil feature. Honestly, I haven't really used it much
> because when I want that much heat I usually do it on my Weber gas grill.
> I "assume" that the difference between hi and low broil setting is the
> temperature but I don't know what temps equate to the settings.
>
> --
> Steve


Thanks, Steve, for answering. Maybe someone will know something more.
Dee


  #35 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 286
Default Need a Better Electric Stove

Dee Randall wrote:

Snipped stuff about hi/lo broil.

>
> Thanks, Steve, for answering. Maybe someone will know something more.
>


If you don't have hi/lo broil you can simulate it by changing the
distance from the elements to the food.

My GE wall ovens have hi/lo broil. I've only used the hi setting. I
don't see a need for the lo setting.

Matthew (it's a gimmick, IMHO)

--
I'm a contractor. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?


  #36 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.equipment
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,313
Default Need a Better Electric Stove


"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
...
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
> Snipped stuff about hi/lo broil.
>
>>
>> Thanks, Steve, for answering. Maybe someone will know something more.
>>

>
> If you don't have hi/lo broil you can simulate it by changing the distance
> from the elements to the food.
>
> My GE wall ovens have hi/lo broil. I've only used the hi setting. I don't
> see a need for the lo setting.
>
> Matthew (it's a gimmick, IMHO)



I may have found the answer:
Hi-Lo Broil (Quick Set IV and up) gives you the capability of reducing the
oven temperature during the broil function. It is featured on most
electronic model ovens. Hi Broil functions at 550 degrees Fahrenheit. and
gives a quicker broiling to sear in natural food juices. Lo Broil functions
at 450 degrees Fahrenheit. and gives a slower broiling to ensure doneness
without drying out the food.



Ovens without this feature, (Quick Set III, II and I) broil at 550 degrees
Fahrenheit.



But I'm not sure what Quick Set is.

Dee Dee



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade electric stove EZ General Cooking 5 24-05-2007 12:08 AM
Electric stove controller for electric smoker catfish Barbecue 1 12-05-2006 07:56 AM
Electric Stove Not Hot Enough Niel Cooking Equipment 5 23-11-2004 01:27 AM
Changing from an electric stove to a gas stove sue General Cooking 17 02-08-2004 10:26 PM
Stove top grill - gas vs. electric Artisanwomyn Barbecue 8 16-06-2004 10:28 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"