Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's wrong with this cake recipe?

I was looking for a recipe for a substantial layer cake, and I found
one that I *almost* like. I've made it twice now, and instead of
using chocolate frosting once I frosted it with whipped cream and
coconut, and the 2nd time I used whipped cream and fresh
strawberries. (a pint of heavy cream and a cup of powdered sugar)

Both times the cake tasted great but was too dry. Do I need to add
more milk, or another egg, or some butter? Maybe 1/4 cup less
flour? I watched it really close this time to make sure I didn't
bake it too long (35 minutes at 325° in a glass 10x15" pan) and I
don't think that was the problem. Something is wrong with the
proportions:

Grandmother's Layer Cake
(I don't know whose grandmother)

2/3 cup shortening [I used coconut oil]
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cup milk
3 cups self-rising flour

Cream shortening with half the sugar, gradually add the remaining
sugar. Add eggs and beat. Stir in vanilla and milk. Add flour and
beat 300 strokes. Grease and flour 3 round cake pans. Pour in
batter and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Frost with Chocolate Frosting:

Chocolate Frosting
1 pound powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup)

Melt butter. Add cocoa; mix, then add sugar and milk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 10:07*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I was looking for a recipe for a substantial layer cake, and I found
> one that I *almost* like. *I've made it twice now, and instead of
> using chocolate frosting once I frosted it with whipped cream and
> coconut, and the 2nd time I used whipped cream and fresh
> strawberries. *(a pint of heavy cream and a cup of powdered sugar)
>
> Both times the cake tasted great but was too dry. *Do I need to add
> more milk, or another egg, or some butter? *Maybe 1/4 cup less
> flour? *I watched it really close this time to make sure I didn't
> bake it too long (35 minutes at 325° in a glass 10x15" pan) and I
> don't think that was the problem. *Something is wrong with the
> proportions:
>
> Grandmother's Layer Cake
> (I don't know whose grandmother)
>
> 2/3 cup shortening [I used coconut oil]
> 2 cups *sugar
> 2 eggs
> 1 tsp. vanilla
> 1 3/4 cup milk
> 3 cups self-rising flour
>
> Cream shortening with half the sugar, gradually add the remaining
> sugar. *Add eggs and beat. *Stir in vanilla and milk. *Add flour and
> beat 300 strokes. *Grease and flour 3 round cake pans. *Pour in
> batter and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. *Frost with Chocolate Frosting:
>
> Chocolate Frosting
> 1 pound powdered sugar
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1/3 cup cocoa
> 1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup)
>
> Melt butter. *Add cocoa; mix, then add sugar and milk.

I'm guessing it's the substitution of coconut oil for shortening. Is
that a 1 for 1 to crisco type shortening? I'm not familiar with how
coconut oil behaves in baking.
I would try it once with the shortening just to see if it's dry when
prepared as written. I just noticed the recipe is written for round
cake pans, but you made it in a 10 x 15 glass pan. You may be baking
it so long to get it done all the way through that it dries out.

Less flour will make it denser. I don't think you'd want that. I think
it's the shortening but honestly, you changed 2 variables so it's
really impossible to know which one is the culprit. I recomend making
it once as written (shortening and 3 round layer pans) to see how it
is supposed to turn out before tweaking a baking recipe.

People's tastes vary, so maybe that's just how the recipe works. If
anything, I would increase fat before I increased moisture. Maybe 2
tablespoons of butter will save it. (or 3/4 cup of coconut oil, rather
than 2/3)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

none of your business wrote:

> I'm guessing it's the substitution of coconut oil for shortening. Is
> that a 1 for 1 to crisco type shortening? I'm not familiar with how
> coconut oil behaves in baking.
> I would try it once with the shortening just to see if it's dry when
> prepared as written. I just noticed the recipe is written for round
> cake pans, but you made it in a 10 x 15 glass pan. You may be baking
> it so long to get it done all the way through that it dries out.
>
> Less flour will make it denser. I don't think you'd want that. I think
> it's the shortening but honestly, you changed 2 variables so it's
> really impossible to know which one is the culprit. I recomend making
> it once as written (shortening and 3 round layer pans) to see how it
> is supposed to turn out before tweaking a baking recipe.
>
> People's tastes vary, so maybe that's just how the recipe works. If
> anything, I would increase fat before I increased moisture. Maybe 2
> tablespoons of butter will save it. (or 3/4 cup of coconut oil, rather
> than 2/3)

I tried it with Crisco or lard the first time, I don't remember
which. I thought coconut oil would be moister because melts at a
lower temperature, but the cake turned out exactly the same as with
shortening.

I need to look at some other cake recipes to see the flour:fat
ratio. I think that is what's off. (3 cups of flour is a lot for a
cake) More sugar would also make it moister, but it's sweet enough
already.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> I was looking for a recipe for a substantial layer cake, and I found one
> that I *almost* like. I've made it twice now

> Both times the cake tasted great but was too dry. Do I need to add more
> milk, or another egg, or some butter? Maybe 1/4 cup less flour? I
> watched it really close this time to make sure I didn't bake it too long
> (35 minutes at 325° in a glass 10x15" pan) and I don't think that was
> the problem. Something is wrong with the proportions:

Dude, FIND ANOTHER CAKE RECIPE, lose this one, and use BUTTER.

Remember the definition of insanity--doing things the same way over and
over and expecting a different outcome!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:07:15 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Grandmother's Layer Cake
>(I don't know whose grandmother)
>
>2/3 cup shortening [I used coconut oil]
>2 cups sugar
>2 eggs
>1 tsp. vanilla
>1 3/4 cup milk
>3 cups self-rising flour

Use real butter and add another two eggs. Grandma must have been
trying to economise but it won't make a moist tender cake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:07:15 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> Grandmother's Layer Cake
>> (I don't know whose grandmother)
>>
>> 2/3 cup shortening [I used coconut oil]
>> 2 cups sugar
>> 2 eggs
>> 1 tsp. vanilla
>> 1 3/4 cup milk
>> 3 cups self-rising flour

> Use real butter and add another two eggs. Grandma must have been
> trying to economise but it won't make a moist tender cake.

I think I might use 1/2 cup of shortening plus 1/2 cup of butter or
salad oil, and 3 eggs next time I make it. I want this to be a
white cake, or at least pale, so I don't want a lot of yellow butter
and egg yolks. (I'm surprised how white it turns out with those 2
yolks)

Perhaps I need to start with a whole new recipe. At least I found
out that 3 cups of flour makes the size cake that I want.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 10:07*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I was looking for a recipe for a substantial layer cake, and I found
> one that I *almost* like. *I've made it twice now, and instead of
> using chocolate frosting once I frosted it with whipped cream and
> coconut, and the 2nd time I used whipped cream and fresh
> strawberries. *(a pint of heavy cream and a cup of powdered sugar)
>
> Both times the cake tasted great but was too dry. *Do I need to add
> more milk, or another egg, or some butter? *Maybe 1/4 cup less
> flour? *I watched it really close this time to make sure I didn't
> bake it too long (35 minutes at 325° in a glass 10x15" pan) and I
> don't think that was the problem. *Something is wrong with the
> proportions:
>
> Grandmother's Layer Cake
> (I don't know whose grandmother)
>
> 2/3 cup shortening [I used coconut oil]
> 2 cups *sugar
> 2 eggs
> 1 tsp. vanilla
> 1 3/4 cup milk
> 3 cups self-rising flour
>
> Cream shortening with half the sugar, gradually add the remaining
> sugar. *Add eggs and beat. *Stir in vanilla and milk. *Add flour and
> beat 300 strokes. *Grease and flour 3 round cake pans. *Pour in
> batter and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. *Frost with Chocolate Frosting:
>
> Chocolate Frosting
> 1 pound powdered sugar
> 1/2 cup milk
> 1/3 cup cocoa
> 1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup)
>
> Melt butter. *Add cocoa; mix, then add sugar and milk.

For one thing, you don't want to add all the flour all at once after
all the other ingredeients have been mixed together. You end up
developing too much gluten tryi to stir it all in and you end up with
a tough cake. The traditional method will mixing a cake is to cream
the butter and sugar. Then add the eggs, one at a time, and mix those
in. The flour and liquid, milk in this case, are added alternately in
three batches. First stir in 1/3 of the flour. This portion of the
flour will be coated with the butter in the batter and keep it from
developing too much gluten when the milk is added and the batter
stirred. Next, add half the milk and stir that it. That will loosen
up the batter to make it easier to stir in the next bit of flour. Add
half the rermaining flour and stir only until it's mixed in. Repeat
with the remaining liquid and remaining flour. If that doesn't help
then try this recipe.

yellow cake:
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
8 egg yolks
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 - 8
inch round pans. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set
aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and
fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
Beat in the flour mixture, alternately with the milk, in three
batches. Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick
comes out clean when inserted in the center. Cool 15 minutes before
turning out onto cooling racks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 5:14*pm, " > wrote:
> [...]

> 8 egg yolks
> 3/4 cup milk
> 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
> 2 cups cake flour
> 2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>
> Directions
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 - 8
> inch round pans. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set
> aside.
> In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and
> fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
> Beat in the flour mixture, alternately with the milk, in three
> batches. *Pour batter into prepared pans.
> Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick
> comes out clean when inserted in the center. Cool 15 minutes before
> turning out onto cooling racks.- Hide quoted text -

Oh my gosh, I can't believe all those typos I made. Oh well, I guess
that's what happens when your brain thinks faster than your fingers
can type.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 5:14*pm, " > wrote:
> yellow cake:
> 1 cup butter
> 1 1/2 cups white sugar
> 8 egg yolks
> 3/4 cup milk
> 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
> 2 cups cake flour
> 2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>
> Directions
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 - 8
> inch round pans. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set
> aside.
> In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and
> fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
> Beat in the flour mixture, alternately with the milk, in three
> batches. *Pour batter into prepared pans.
> Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick
> comes out clean when inserted in the center. Cool 15 minutes before
> turning out onto cooling racks.- Hide quoted text -

Here's a slight variation.
Instead of using 1 cup of butter, use 12 tablespoons of butter and 1
tablespoon vegetable oil. Since the oil is liquid at room temperature
it will make the cake seem more moist. Box mix cakes almost always
have oil added to them and that's what makes them so moist. The
butter needs to be decreased slightly because if you use the original
amount of butter in the recipe plus the oil it will make the cake too
heavy. One tablespoon of oil may not seem like much but it adds just
enough moisture without detracting away from the flavor of the butter.