Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default What's wrong with this cake recipe?

I was looking for a recipe for a substantial layer cake, and I found
one that I *almost* like. I've made it twice now, and instead of
using chocolate frosting once I frosted it with whipped cream and
coconut, and the 2nd time I used whipped cream and fresh
strawberries. (a pint of heavy cream and a cup of powdered sugar)

Both times the cake tasted great but was too dry. Do I need to add
more milk, or another egg, or some butter? Maybe 1/4 cup less
flour? I watched it really close this time to make sure I didn't
bake it too long (35 minutes at 325° in a glass 10x15" pan) and I
don't think that was the problem. Something is wrong with the
proportions:

Grandmother's Layer Cake
(I don't know whose grandmother)

2/3 cup shortening [I used coconut oil]
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cup milk
3 cups self-rising flour

Cream shortening with half the sugar, gradually add the remaining
sugar. Add eggs and beat. Stir in vanilla and milk. Add flour and
beat 300 strokes. Grease and flour 3 round cake pans. Pour in
batter and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Frost with Chocolate Frosting:

Chocolate Frosting
1 pound powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup)

Melt butter. Add cocoa; mix, then add sugar and milk.