Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food-chat
Sky Sky is offline

Default a couple of questions

Nomen Nescio wrote:

> What country/culture originated cucumber salad with sour cream?
> Why is tartar sauce called tartar sauce? Does it's name have
> something to do with the Tartar tribe of east Asia?

If it were any other day of the week and some other time of the evening,
I'd recommend doing your own research The local libraries have a lot
of resources!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Nomen Nescio wrote:
>>
>> What country/culture originated cucumber salad with sour cream?
>> Why is tartar sauce called tartar sauce? Does it's name have
>> something to do with the Tartar tribe of east Asia?

> If it were any other day of the week and some other time of the evening,
> I'd recommend doing your own research The local libraries have a lot
> of resources!
>
> Sky

<cross-posting snipped>

Google is always available. Times of day (obviously varies) and libraries
aside, must you reply to well-known trolls?

OB Food: Here's a recipe for a (microwave) Breakfast Casserole I posted
January, 2000, and I'm planning to make it this morning

Breakfast Casserole

2 Tbs. butter or margarine
1 Tbs. chopped onion
8 eggs, beaten
1/3 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 c. cubed cooked ham or browned sausage (well drained)
3/4 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

In 2 qt. casserole, combine butter, onion and mushrooms. Microwave on
Medium until butter melts and onion is clear, 2-3 minutes, stirring
frequently. In mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, parsley, rosemary and
cayenne. Beat until well blended. Pour into casserole with butter and
onion. Stir in ham or sausage, mushrooms and half the cheese. Microwave on
High 7-8 minutes, stirring 2-3 times, until eggs are set yet still moist.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 1 minute on Medium. Cover with
plastic wrap and let stand until cheese fully melts and eggs are a little
more set. Stir before serving.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> In 2 qt. casserole, combine butter, onion and mushrooms. Microwave on
>> Medium until butter melts and onion is clear, 2-3 minutes, stirring
>> frequently. In mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, parsley,
>> rosemary and cayenne. Beat until well blended. Pour into casserole
>> with butter and onion. Stir in ham or sausage, mushrooms and half the
>> cheese. Microwave on High 7-8 minutes, stirring 2-3 times, until eggs
>> are set yet still moist. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 1
>> minute on Medium. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until cheese
>> fully melts and eggs are a little more set. Stir before serving.

> I don't get all the "stirring" instructions.
>
> I have never seen a recipe or frozen product, for that matter, that
> needed such tending to, not to mention timing. A one time stir is common.
>
> "Stirring frequently" is something I'd be OK with in a frying pan, NOT in
> a microwave.
>
> It sounds too cumbersome, imho. I won't try this recipe.
>
> Andy

Andy, I really don't give a rip if you try this recipe. I have it prepped
and in the fridge ready to pop in the microwave when it's time for brunch.

It requires stirring because #1 you have to whisk the eggs and other
ingredients together. #2 Because unless you want the egg-based casserole to
be hard as a brick in some spots and gooey in others, you have to stir it
while it's cooking. This is not difficult to understand. Apparently you've
never actually cooked anything (other than a TV dinner) in a microwave oven.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OB Food: Here's a recipe for a (microwave) Breakfast Casserole I posted
> January, 2000, and I'm planning to make it this morning
>
> Breakfast Casserole
>
> 2 Tbs. butter or margarine
> 1 Tbs. chopped onion
> 8 eggs, beaten
> 1/3 c. milk
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
> 1/4 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
> 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
> 1 c. cubed cooked ham or browned sausage (well drained)
> 3/4 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
> 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
>
> In 2 qt. casserole, combine butter, onion and mushrooms. Microwave on
> Medium until butter melts and onion is clear, 2-3 minutes, stirring
> frequently. In mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, parsley, rosemary and
> cayenne. Beat until well blended. Pour into casserole with butter and
> onion. Stir in ham or sausage, mushrooms and half the cheese. Microwave on
> High 7-8 minutes, stirring 2-3 times, until eggs are set yet still moist.
> Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 1 minute on Medium. Cover with
> plastic wrap and let stand until cheese fully melts and eggs are a little
> more set. Stir before serving.
>
> Jill

This looks great Jill! I'm always looking for new ways to serve eggs to
dad. Will this work you think in the convection oven?
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Andy, I really don't give a rip if you try this recipe. I have it prepped
> and in the fridge ready to pop in the microwave when it's time for brunch.
>
> It requires stirring because #1 you have to whisk the eggs and other
> ingredients together. #2 Because unless you want the egg-based casserole to
> be hard as a brick in some spots and gooey in others, you have to stir it
> while it's cooking. This is not difficult to understand. Apparently you've
> never actually cooked anything (other than a TV dinner) in a microwave oven.
>
> Jill

Indeed... Eggs do cook quite well in the microwave but don't cook
evenly. Stirring them every minute or two (or sometimes every 30
seconds!) gives excellent results and it is a lot faster than baking. ;-)

I only asked because the convection oven would brown the top while
microwaving won't.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> OB Food: Here's a recipe for a (microwave) Breakfast Casserole I posted
>> January, 2000, and I'm planning to make it this morning
>>
>> Breakfast Casserole
>>
>> 2 Tbs. butter or margarine
>> 1 Tbs. chopped onion
>> 8 eggs, beaten
>> 1/3 c. milk
>> 1/2 tsp. salt
>> 1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
>> 1/4 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
>> 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
>> 1 c. cubed cooked ham or browned sausage (well drained)
>> 3/4 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
>> 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
>>
>> In 2 qt. casserole, combine butter, onion and mushrooms. Microwave on
>> Medium until butter melts and onion is clear, 2-3 minutes, stirring
>> frequently. In mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, parsley, rosemary
>> and
>> cayenne. Beat until well blended. Pour into casserole with butter and
>> onion. Stir in ham or sausage, mushrooms and half the cheese. Microwave
>> on
>> High 7-8 minutes, stirring 2-3 times, until eggs are set yet still moist.
>> Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 1 minute on Medium. Cover with
>> plastic wrap and let stand until cheese fully melts and eggs are a little
>> more set. Stir before serving.
>>
>> Jill

> This looks great Jill! I'm always looking for new ways to serve eggs to
> dad. Will this work you think in the convection oven?
> --
> Peace! Om

Sorry for the late reply, Om.... we were too busy enjoying the breakfast
I have no idea about a convection oven.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> > This looks great Jill! I'm always looking for new ways to serve eggs to
> > dad. Will this work you think in the convection oven?
> > --
> > Peace! Om
> >

> Sorry for the late reply, Om.... we were too busy enjoying the breakfast
> I have no idea about a convection oven.
>
> Jill

<lol> That's ok!

Rules for quich's would probably work.

Thanks!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 6:42*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Andy" > wrote in ...
> > "jmcquown" > wrote:

> >> In 2 qt. casserole, combine butter, onion and mushrooms. *Microwave on
> >> Medium until butter melts and onion is clear, 2-3 minutes, stirring
> >> frequently. *In mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, parsley,
> >> rosemary and cayenne. *Beat until well blended. *Pour into casserole
> >> with butter and onion. *Stir in ham or sausage, mushrooms and half the
> >> cheese. *Microwave on High 7-8 minutes, stirring 2-3 times, until eggs
> >> are set yet still moist. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 1
> >> minute on Medium. *Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until cheese
> >> fully melts and eggs are a little more set. Stir before serving.

> > I don't get all the "stirring" instructions.

> > I have never seen a recipe or frozen product, for that matter, that
> > needed such tending to, not to mention timing. A one time stir is common.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

>> Don't know about your convection oven, but a ham, mushroom and cheese
>> omlet is straight forward in my cast iron chicken fryer.

> What? You don't put inappropriate things into your microwave?

Putting a cast iron chicken fryer into the microwave *would* be
inappropriate. I don't see anything inherently wrong with the recipe Jill
posted. I know you have this sequoia up your ass about margarine, but it's
an alternate ingredient, and the recipe clearly says "butter" in the
directions. So what exactly do you find inappropriate?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 8:20*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
> >> Don't know about your convection oven, but a ham, mushroom and cheese
> >> omlet is straight forward in my cast iron chicken fryer.

> > What? *You don't put inappropriate things into your microwave?

> Putting a cast iron chicken fryer into the microwave *would* be
> inappropriate. I don't see anything inherently wrong with the recipe Jill
> posted. I know you have this sequoia up your ass about margarine, but it's
> an alternate ingredient, and the recipe clearly says "butter" in the
> directions. So what exactly do you find inappropriate?

Eggs in the microwave.

> Bob

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

>> what exactly do you find inappropriate?

> Eggs in the microwave.

What's wrong with eggs in the microwave?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
>
>>> what exactly do you find inappropriate?

>> Eggs in the microwave.

> What's wrong with eggs in the microwave?

Nothing, until you switch the microwave on

-j
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jack wrote:

>> What's wrong with eggs in the microwave?
>>

> Nothing, until you switch the microwave on

In the recipe, the eggs were not whole, they were scrambled with a bunch of
other stuff. There's nothing wrong with that cooking method. In fact, in
some ways it's superior to cooking in a pan, because many people find
browned bits of egg objectionable, and the microwave makes it easy to avoid
that.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> jack wrote:
>
>>> What's wrong with eggs in the microwave?
>>>

>> Nothing, until you switch the microwave on

> In the recipe, the eggs were not whole, they were scrambled with a bunch of
> other stuff. There's nothing wrong with that cooking method. In fact, in
> some ways it's superior to cooking in a pan, because many people find
> browned bits of egg objectionable, and the microwave makes it easy to avoid
> that.

True, but once the microwave is on, I can't stir anymore (unless the
microwave's door switches have been modified). So 20seconds MW, open
door, stir, close door, 20seconds MW becomes a bit tedious. A pan is
easier for me.

But I can see a market for a microwave stirrer. Sort of like the
turntable, but mounted from the top, and spinning a bit faster. Anybody
know if such a thing exists?

-j
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>
>>> OB Food: Here's a recipe for a (microwave) Breakfast Casserole I
>>> posted
>>> January, 2000, and I'm planning to make it this morning
>>>
>>> Breakfast Casserole
>>>
>>> 2 Tbs. butter or margarine
>>> 1 Tbs. chopped onion
>>> 8 eggs, beaten
>>> 1/3 c. milk
>>> 1/2 tsp. salt
>>> 1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
>>> 1/4 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
>>> 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
>>> 1 c. cubed cooked ham or browned sausage (well drained)
>>> 3/4 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
>>> 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
>>>
>>> In 2 qt. casserole, combine butter, onion and mushrooms. Microwave on
>>> Medium until butter melts and onion is clear, 2-3 minutes, stirring
>>> frequently. In mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, parsley,
>>> rosemary and
>>> cayenne. Beat until well blended. Pour into casserole with butter and
>>> onion. Stir in ham or sausage, mushrooms and half the cheese.
>>> Microwave on
>>> High 7-8 minutes, stirring 2-3 times, until eggs are set yet still
>>> moist.
>>> Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 1 minute on Medium. Cover
>>> with
>>> plastic wrap and let stand until cheese fully melts and eggs are a
>>> little
>>> more set. Stir before serving.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> This looks great Jill! I'm always looking for new ways to serve eggs to
>> dad. Will this work you think in the convection oven?
>> --
>> Peace! Om
>>

> Sorry for the late reply, Om.... we were too busy enjoying the
> breakfast I have no idea about a convection oven.
>
> Jill

"We"? You and the cat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Lew Hodgett" > wrote:

> "Omelet" wrote:
> This looks great Jill! I'm always looking for new ways to serve eggs
> >> dad. Will this work you think in the convection oven?

> ---------------------
> Don't know about your convection oven, but a ham, mushroom and cheese
> omlet is straight forward in my cast iron chicken fryer.
>
> Lew

Yes, and it works fine in my pan or the microwave omelet pan....

but I don't generally make an omelet with 8 eggs at a time like her
recipe called for! <g>

Most I've ever used in a single omelet is 4 eggs. I generally use only
2.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Food Snob® > wrote:

> So what exactly do you find inappropriate?
>
> Eggs in the microwave.
> >
> > Bob

> --Bryan

<shrugs> Works fine for me if done right.

Just 'cause you don't know how... ;-)

There are real techniques to microwave cooking to make food turn out
right. And it's not difficult unless one is too closed minded or too
stubborn and set in their ancient ways to learn!

Once I get off my procrastinating ass and get a food blog going, I'll
take a pic series of some very successful microwave egg cooking!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, jack > wrote:

> But I can see a market for a microwave stirrer. Sort of like the
> turntable, but mounted from the top, and spinning a bit faster. Anybody
> know if such a thing exists?
>
> -j

That is one HELL of a good idea!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Larry wrote:

>> Sorry for the late reply, Om.... we were too busy enjoying the breakfast
>> I have no idea about a convection oven.
>>

> "We"? You and the cat?

The casserole had eight eggs. It's only natural to make it for company. It
*is* summer; maybe John is in town. Or maybe she had Ailurophile over for
breakfast. Whatever; Jill's social life doesn't interest me all that much.
Why does it interest you?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 06:52:04 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Bryan wrote:
>
>>> what exactly do you find inappropriate?

>> Eggs in the microwave.

> What's wrong with eggs in the microwave?
>
> Bob

it's not so much the eggs, but finding out there are egg-laying creatures
harbored in your microwave *is* disconcerting.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 07:37:40 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> jack wrote:
>
>>> What's wrong with eggs in the microwave?
>>>

>> Nothing, until you switch the microwave on

> In the recipe, the eggs were not whole, they were scrambled with a bunch of
> other stuff. There's nothing wrong with that cooking method. In fact, in
> some ways it's superior to cooking in a pan, because many people find
> browned bits of egg objectionable, and the microwave makes it easy to avoid
> that.
>
> Bob

wavelengths shorter than a cubit are not in accordance with god's great
plan.

your pal,
noah
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> >> Nothing, until you switch the microwave on

> > In the recipe, the eggs were not whole, they were scrambled with a bunch of
> > other stuff. There's nothing wrong with that cooking method. In fact, in
> > some ways it's superior to cooking in a pan, because many people find
> > browned bits of egg objectionable, and the microwave makes it easy to avoid
> > that.
> >
> > Bob

> wavelengths shorter than a cubit are not in accordance with god's great
> plan.
>
> your pal,
> noah

LOL! What's a cubit? <duck and run>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Larry wrote:
>

>>> Sorry for the late reply, Om.... we were too busy enjoying the breakfast
>>> I have no idea about a convection oven.
>>>

>> "We"? You and the cat?
>>

> The casserole had eight eggs. It's only natural to make it for company. It
> *is* summer; maybe John is in town. Or maybe she had Ailurophile over for
> breakfast. Whatever; Jill's social life doesn't interest me all that much.
> Why does it interest you?
>
> Bob

I had a five word response. You chose to author six paragraphs.

He has no social life, BTW, and "John" is fictitious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Larry wrote:

>>> "We"? You and the cat?
>>>

>> The casserole had eight eggs. It's only natural to make it for company.
>> It
>> *is* summer; maybe John is in town. Or maybe she had Ailurophile over for
>> breakfast. Whatever; Jill's social life doesn't interest me all that
>> much.
>> Why does it interest you?
>>

> I had a five word response. You chose to author six paragraphs.
>
> He has no social life, BTW, and "John" is fictitious.

So you think the paragraph above is actually six paragraphs, and you think
Jill is a guy. Have you checked to see if your tinfoil hat is intact and
firmly attached? It sounds like the aliens have been able to implant false
things into your head.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>>> The casserole had eight eggs. It's only natural to make it for company.
>>> It
>>> *is* summer; maybe John is in town. Or maybe she had Ailurophile over for
>>> breakfast. Whatever; Jill's social life doesn't interest me all that
>>> much.
>>> Why does it interest you?
>>>

>> I had a five word response. You chose to author six paragraphs.
>>
>> He has no social life, BTW, and "John" is fictitious.
>>

> So you think the paragraph above is actually six paragraphs, and you think
> Jill is a guy. Have you checked to see if your tinfoil hat is intact and
> firmly attached? It sounds like the aliens have been able to implant false
> things into your head.
>
> Bob

OK. Sentences. The jury is out on Jill and here adam's apple.

a couple of questions Ed Pawlowski[_2_] General Cooking 16 06-07-2010 08:57 PM
A couple of questions Tim W Sourdough 10 23-11-2009 10:13 AM
a couple questions enigma[_2_] Preserving 4 22-08-2007 05:27 AM
A Couple Questions- JimnGin Barbecue 14 08-12-2005 11:21 PM
a couple of questions sprudil Preserving 13 21-07-2005 04:28 PM