Posted to alt.food.barbecue
JimnGin

Default A Couple Questions-

Hey, all- I hope you had a good Thanksgiving. I have a couple
questions- I live in Ohio, and now that winter weather is here, I'm
wondering how best to store my Char-Griller. Should I store it in a
cold area, or in a heated area? I was afraid to keep it in a warm area
for fear that mold, etc may grow inside it. Secondly, and slightly
off-topic: The wife is getting me a set of kitchen knives for
Christmas, and wants to know what kind I want. What brand/kind do you
recommend? I'm looking for some that are decent, but not too expensive-
under $250.00- even less is better!

Thanks,

Jim

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Edwin Pawlowski

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
> I'm
> wondering how best to store my Char-Griller. Should I store it in a
> cold area, or in a heated area?

Makes no difference. Wherever you have the space.

> The wife is getting me a set of kitchen knives for
> Christmas, and wants to know what kind I want. What brand/kind do you
> recommend? I'm looking for some that are decent, but not too expensive-
> under $250.00- even less is better!

Many good ones. Henckles, Wustof, F Dick, Forschner. . Buy what feels good
to you.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
tranch

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hey, all- I hope you had a good Thanksgiving. I have a couple
> questions- I live in Ohio, and now that winter weather is here, I'm
> wondering how best to store my Char-Griller. Should I store it in a
> cold area, or in a heated area? I was afraid to keep it in a warm area
> for fear that mold, etc may grow inside it. Secondly, and slightly
> off-topic: The wife is getting me a set of kitchen knives for
> Christmas, and wants to know what kind I want. What brand/kind do you
> recommend? I'm looking for some that are decent, but not too expensive-
> under $250.00- even less is better!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

I leave my Char-Griller outdoors all winter. I'm in the Chicago area so
it gets cold and we get snow. I use their cover and put a couple bungi cords
around it so it doesn't blow away.
I've had the same set of Chicago Cutlery knives for 15 - 20 years now
with no problems. Just sharpen them every once in a while and they're fine

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
TFM®

Eddie wrote:
> On 25 Nov 2005 22:20:54 -0800, "JimnGin" > wrote:
>

>>Hey, all- I hope you had a good Thanksgiving. I have a couple
>>questions- I live in Ohio, and now that winter weather is here, I'm
>>wondering how best to store my Char-Griller. Should I store it in a
>>cold area, or in a heated area? I was afraid to keep it in a warm area
>>for fear that mold, etc may grow inside it. Secondly, and slightly
>>off-topic: The wife is getting me a set of kitchen knives for
>>Christmas, and wants to know what kind I want. What brand/kind do you
>>recommend? I'm looking for some that are decent, but not too expensive-
>>under $250.00- even less is better!
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Jim

> Jim, we have been very happy with the Ronco Showtime Six Star Cutlery
> Set. I think I've had it for 3 or 4 years and except for one knife
> (the #1) that has the most usage we have had no problems. The #1
> handle came loose but was easily fixed with some good glue. The
> company said just send it back for free replacement, but I decided to
> fix it as I didn't want to wait for a replacement.
> I know this is not a true professional set but for every-day household
> use they can't be beat.
> $66.95 with block and a solid food injector.
> http://www.popeilfamilystore.com/kn25b.html
>
> Eddie

My mother has that set. Not too impressive. I'd pass.

TFM®
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On 25 Nov 2005 22:20:54 -0800, "JimnGin" > wrote:

>Secondly, and slightly
>off-topic: The wife is getting me a set of kitchen knives for
>Christmas, and wants to know what kind I want. What brand/kind do you
>recommend? I'm looking for some that are decent, but not too expensive-
>under $250.00- even less is better!

There have been a number of discussions here about knives. Google a
few likely keywords and you'll find enough opinion and information to
leave you thoroughly confused.

Yo, Monroe! Do you have a copy of the e-mail you sent me about your
knives? It's on another box, so I can't get to it right now, but you
might consider posting the relevant portions here. You can leave out
the stuff about me and your wife.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 08:26:11 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>Yo, Monroe! Do you have a copy of the e-mail you sent me about your
>knives? It's on another box, so I can't get to it right now, but you
>might consider posting the relevant portions here. You can leave out
>the stuff about me and your wife.

The edited out portions can go to alt.sex.stories...

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kenkozak

Default A Couple Questions-Knives

There's a discussion on ba.food titled "Cooking for Engineers" which has
lists of reviewed knives and tells how they were judged.

Ken

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> off-topic: The wife is getting me a set of kitchen knives for
> Christmas, and wants to know what kind I want. What brand/kind do you
> recommend? I'm looking for some that are decent, but not too expensive-
> under $250.00- even less is better!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
2fatbbq

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hey, all- I hope you had a good Thanksgiving. I have a couple
> questions- I live in Ohio, and now that winter weather is here, I'm
> wondering how best to store my Char-Griller. Should I store it in a
> cold area, or in a heated area? I was afraid to keep it in a warm area
> for fear that mold, etc may grow inside it. Secondly, and slightly
> off-topic: The wife is getting me a set of kitchen knives for
> Christmas, and wants to know what kind I want. What brand/kind do you
> recommend? I'm looking for some that are decent, but not too expensive-
> under $250.00- even less is better!

Imo don't buy knife sets--go find the individual knives that suit the job!
All that said usually use Forschner stamped knives when out cooking--sharpen
easily and hold a great edge--inexpensive also!

Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:11:25 GMT, "kenkozak" >
wrote:

>There's a discussion on ba.food titled "Cooking for Engineers" which has
>lists of reviewed knives and tells how they were judged.

Probably connected to the review of knives on
www.cookingforengineers.com

PS: Please don't top post.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Burnt Food Dude

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hey, all- I hope you had a good Thanksgiving. I have a couple
> questions- I live in Ohio, and now that winter weather is here, I'm
> wondering how best to store my Char-Griller. Should I store it in a
> cold area, or in a heated area? I was afraid to keep it in a warm area
> for fear that mold, etc may grow inside it. Secondly, and slightly
> off-topic: The wife is getting me a set of kitchen knives for
> Christmas, and wants to know what kind I want. What brand/kind do you
> recommend? I'm looking for some that are decent, but not too expensive-
> under $250.00- even less is better!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

I have a chargriller also. It might be a bit too late for you but here's
what I did.

First thing in the morning I washed the insides out with soap and water (my
wife's dish soap) and rinsed it out. I just used water and a brush on the
grates. Then let it air dry for a few hours. Then I coated everything down
(inside and out) with the cheapest cooking oil I could find. Fired her up
and ran her at 350 degrees for about an hour or so. I don't know if it made
a difference but I added some mesquite I had laying around. Let the fire
burn out and let the whole thing cool down. When cool, I emptied the fire
box, put the cover on and moved it next to the house.

That should hold it till next spring. If you have a garage, and feel better
about getting the chargeiller out of the elements, you could move it there.

As far as knives go, my wife bought the block set of Miracle Knife lll. I
went out and bought a 8" chef's knife with a granton edge by Chicago
Cutlery. Then my wife bought me a 9" from Cuisinart.

If you have a chance, and the bucks, get yourself a copy of Alton Brown's
Gear For Your Kitchen. He has a section titled "Sharp Things" that cover the
diferent types of knives and why you should buy the individually.

To make a long story short... Buy a knife that is comfortable in your hand.
If the store lets you (probably not) rock it on a cutting board. Some knives
feel good and some don't.

BFD

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
LewZephyr

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:11:25 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
"kenkozak" > :

>There's a discussion on ba.food titled "Cooking for Engineers" which has
>lists of reviewed knives and tells how they were judged.
>
>Ken
>
>"JimnGin" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>> off-topic: The wife is getting me a set of kitchen knives for
>> Christmas, and wants to know what kind I want. What brand/kind do you
>> recommend? I'm looking for some that are decent, but not too expensive-
>> under $250.00- even less is better!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jim

What is ba.food?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

JimnGin wrote:

> Hey, all- I hope you had a good Thanksgiving. I have a couple
> questions- I live in Ohio, and now that winter weather is here, I'm
> wondering how best to store my Char-Griller. Should I store it in a
> cold area, or in a heated area? I was afraid to keep it in a warm area
> for fear that mold, etc may grow inside it. Secondly, and slightly
> off-topic: The wife is getting me a set of kitchen knives for
> Christmas, and wants to know what kind I want. What brand/kind do you
> recommend? I'm looking for some that are decent, but not too expensive-
> under $250.00- even less is better!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Jim,
When I was living in Virginia, I would leave the BBQ on the deck and cover
it with one of those store bought black covers. The year round punishment
did not harm it any. Now that I am back in Texas (Austin to be more
precise), I still do the same with the gas and charcoal grills and the
upright smoker. Any kind of growth that may invade them between uses gets
burnt when I turn any one of them on.

As to the knives, I bought a 9 inch chef's knife at Tuesday Morning for
$35 about 5 years ago, best one yet. Three rivet handle, and made in Spain
- looks just like a Henckel. My other knife is one of those serrated
surgical steel ones you see being demonstrated at the supermarket that will
cut thru a 500 pound anvil, then will make perfectly cut 1/16th of an inch
tomato slices - it really does, of course I could not use the anvil again.
Actually I cut thru a can of Bud beer then did the number on the tomato.
About a month ago I bought a Henckels 7 inch Santoku. Very nice knife, but
a bit too much on the light side - my wife loves it even though she has a
panic attack when she uses it because of how sharp I keep it and the rest
of my knives. I have a small paring knife (about 7 inches long) I bought
at the supermarket for about $2.95 some 18 years ago and it is still paring
- keeps a sharp edge for quite a long time. And last but not least, when
my Dad passed away (1977), I took his Chinese cleaver - made in China. The
whole thing is about 9 inches long (excluding the handle) by 3.5 inches
high, and less than 1/16th of an inch thick and it tapers toward the
cutting edge. It keeps sharp and perfect for cutting meats for stir fry
plates.

You don't have to spend too much $$$$$ on a set of knives. Look around and
you will find something that will fit your hand just right and the pocket
too. Check around garage sales, estate sales and of course flea markets.

And the best two things (in my opinion) to help with keeping your knives
sharp:
1. use a wood cutting board and coat it with mineral oil about once a
month - to keep bacteria from developing;
2. store your knives individually - make a cardboard sheath for each one
of them, and spread olive oil or other vegetable oil on them before you
store them.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Ray
Austin, TX
===

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 13:27:04 -0800, Bill
> wrote:

>> What is ba.food?

> Lamb?

Grass?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg

LewZephyr wrote:

> What is ba.food?

<http://groups.google.com/group/ba.food?hl=en>

a couple of questions Ed Pawlowski[_2_] General Cooking 16 06-07-2010 08:57 PM
a couple of questions Sky General Cooking 26 05-07-2010 01:08 AM
A couple of questions Tim W Sourdough 10 23-11-2009 10:13 AM
a couple questions enigma[_2_] Preserving 4 22-08-2007 05:27 AM
a couple of questions sprudil Preserving 13 21-07-2005 04:28 PM