Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lemon Bar Cookie recipe

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 09:03:32 -0500, Becca > wrote:

> Sounds delicious! The lemon bar in her photo looked perfect. Do you
> have to chill these to get a cut that looks that clean and beautiful?
> Did you use superfine sugar? I never have that around.

Yes, I actually had a box of superfine on hand. I don't remember why
I bought it and have only used small amounts up to yesterday, but I
used up almost all I had left in the box... so now I can buy a new one
to store practically forever. LOL - unless I make lemon bars, that
is. Actually, I'm going to try making the recipe with regular sugar
soon.

As far as the finished product. It said to bake until just set, which
I did, but it was less set than I wanted it to be so I'll leave it in
a little longer next time. In any case, they tasted great!

PS: I suspect my oven will need an inspection soon because I've
noticed cooking times don't match recipes like they used to.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 09:03:32 -0500, Becca > wrote:
>
>> Sounds delicious! The lemon bar in her photo looked perfect. Do you >>
>> have to chill these to get a cut that looks that clean and beautiful?
>> Did you use superfine sugar? I never have that around.

> Yes, I actually had a box of superfine on hand. I don't remember why> I
> bought it and have only used small amounts up to yesterday, but I> used up
> almost all I had left in the box... so now I can buy a new one
> to store practically forever.

You can also make sweetea with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 09:03:32 -0500, Becca >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds delicious! The lemon bar in her photo looked perfect. Do
>>> you >> have to chill these to get a cut that looks that clean and
>>> beautiful? Did you use superfine sugar? I never have that around.

>> Yes, I actually had a box of superfine on hand. I don't remember
>> why> I bought it and have only used small amounts up to yesterday,
>> but I> used up almost all I had left in the box... so now I can buy
>> a new one to store practically forever.

> You can also make sweetea with it.

Ah - but she's not a Southerner!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dora" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:

>> You can also make sweetea with it.

> Ah - but she's not a Southerner!!

Nor I, but a northerner could make sweetea, they just think better of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:08:51 -0400, "Dora" > wrote:

> Giusi wrote:
> > "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> >> Yes, I actually had a box of superfine on hand. I don't remember
> >> why> I bought it and have only used small amounts up to yesterday,
> >> but I> used up almost all I had left in the box... so now I can buy
> >> a new one to store practically forever.

> > You can also make sweetea with it.

> Ah - but she's not a Southerner!!

Thank you, Dora! I'd never put icky white stuff in my tea. I want
lemon and nothing else.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> You really don't need to buy superfine sugar if you don't use it
> regularly. Put regular granulated sugar in the food processor and
> let 'er go for a few minutes. It will be superfine.

Thanks Wayne.

Becca

ObFood:

Potato and Artichoke Salad
Serves 8-10

1 can (14-oz.) artichoke hearts, drained and diced
1 lb. red potatoes, cooked and diced
1 bunch green onions, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
3 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup mayo
3/4 cup sour cream
2 tsps. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsps. fresh parsley
2 Tbsps. chopped fresh dill
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt & fresh ground pepper

Combine artichokes and potatoes. Combine remaining ingredients and add
to artichokes and potatoes. Toss well; add extra salt and pepper, if
desired. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:09:24 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>On 6/16/2010 12:48 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> You really don't need to buy superfine sugar if you don't use it
>> regularly. Put regular granulated sugar in the food processor and
>> let 'er go for a few minutes. It will be superfine.
>>

>Thanks Wayne.

Don't forget to thank him when your processor bowl is all frosted.
Powdered sugar is sold in every food store and is cheap, it's ignorant
to make your own from granulated.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz wrote:

>>> You really don't need to buy superfine sugar if you don't use it
>>> regularly. Put regular granulated sugar in the food processor and
>>> let 'er go for a few minutes. It will be superfine.

>>Thanks Wayne.

> Don't forget to thank him when your processor bowl is all frosted.
> Powdered sugar is sold in every food store and is cheap, it's ignorant
> to make your own from granulated.

Only an ignorant newbie doesn't know the difference between superfine sugar
and powdered sugar. Powdered sugar contains cornstarch; superfine sugar does
not.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:48:31 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>You really don't need to buy superfine sugar if you don't use it
>regularly. Put regular granulated sugar in the food processor and
>let 'er go for a few minutes. It will be superfine.

Attempted to make some tonight. I should have come back and reread
what you said first though. Maybe I let the FP go for a minute or
two, not any more than two. Sugar dust enveloped the FP but I didn't
think the granules were appreciably smaller when I stopped. How long
is a few minutes anyway? 5?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-06-17, brooklyn1 > wrote:

> Don't forget to thank him when your processor bowl is all frosted.
> Powdered sugar is sold in every food store and is cheap, it's ignorant
> to make your own from granulated.

Perhaps they do not want cornstarch in their sugar.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message

>>>Thanks Wayne.

>> Don't forget to thank him when your processor bowl is all frosted.
>> Powdered sugar is sold in every food store and is cheap, it's ignorant
>> to make your own from granulated.

> Only an ignorant newbie doesn't know the difference between superfine
> sugar and powdered sugar. Powdered sugar contains cornstarch; superfine
> sugar does not.
>
> Bob

Forget that FP trick. It just doesn't work. If you're local markets don't
have superfine, King Arthur does. And it's handy for so many things, because
it dissolves in cold liquids such as iced coffee.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote about superfine sugar:

> Forget that FP trick. It just doesn't work. If you're local markets don't
> have superfine, King Arthur does. And it's handy for so many things,
> because it dissolves in cold liquids such as iced coffee.

The person commenting on it was sf, who said she got a container of
superfine sugar which lasted years and years and years... So she wanted to
be able to get just a *little* superfine sugar on those rare occasions that
she wants it. Making it in the food processor seemed to be the answer to her
problem.

It seems like it would also be feasible to run a small amount of sugar
through a grain mill to make superfine sugar. An electric spice grinder
probably wouldn't work as well because it would be difficult to clean any
sticky residue inside. (And on a humid day it would be potentially
disastrous!)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:40:51 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> Your f/p may
> vary. Very small quantities seem to simply get tossed about the bowl
> and do not break down as well. You should use enough sugar to cover
> the blades.

That was probably the problem, thanks! I processed 3/4 cup in an 11
cup bowl.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.