Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wok - electric vs stovetop

On 6/1/2010 7:46 PM, isw wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> isw wrote:
>>
>>> In >,

>>> It's not how hot you can get it when it's empty -- it's how hot you
>>> can *keep it* after you toss the meat in; the steam carries away a
>>> HUGE amount of heat. And that's where an electric wok simply cannot
>>> keep up with a gas one.

>> That's what I meant when I said, (which you chose to snip)
>>
>> "The heat therefrom goes up to "more than hot enough" -
>> but it is not "constant" heat as the thermostat keeps kicking in and
>> out, so the heat varies"

> I cut it because it didn't matter. An electric wok, with the temperature
> dialed all the way up to "nuclear fusion", might get that hot when
> empty, but will still cool down a lot when you put food in it, and it
> will not recover until nearly all the water has been cooked out of the
> food (unless you cook in very small batches).
>
> Electric skillets and woks draw about 1,500 watts (about the maximum you
> can get out of a US electrical outlet), which is equivalent to about 85
> BTU per minute. The entire circuit that supplies an electric cooktop is
> probably 220 volts at 30 amps, or 6,600 watts. Which is still only about
> 375 BTU/minute. And that's if you could somehow use all four burners at
> once to heat your wok.
>
> An "ordinary" domestic gas stove will have a burner or two capable of,
> maybe 9,000 BTU. Professional cookstoves might be capable of about
> double that. A wok ring in a decent Chinese restaurant can probably do
> something north of 65,000 BTU.
>
> And that's why the Chinese dishes you cook at home, good though they
> might be, cannot be the same as what you get in a good Chinese
> restaurant, even if the owner gave you his secret recipe.

Oddly enough, I've found that a home electric range with a burner output
of about 2500W works fine. My guess the reason is that you're cooking
smaller portions. Of course it wouldn't work in a commercial setting.

> Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote:

> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:

>> > It's not how hot you can get it when it's empty -- it's how hot you
>> > can *keep it* after you toss the meat in; the steam carries away a
>> > HUGE amount of heat. And that's where an electric wok simply cannot
>> > keep up with a gas one.

>> That's what I meant when I said, (which you chose to snip)
>>
>> "The heat therefrom goes up to "more than hot enough" -
>> but it is not "constant" heat as the thermostat keeps kicking in and
>> out, so the heat varies"

> I cut it because it didn't matter. An electric wok, with the
> temperature dialed all the way up to "nuclear fusion", might get that
> hot when empty, but will still cool down a lot when you put food in
> it, and it will not recover until nearly all the water has been cooked
> out of the food (unless you cook in very small batches).

Of course my (preheated) wok cools down somewhat when I add (room
temperature) ingredients to it - as does any other (preheated) skillet,
pan etc. How much it cools down depends on its thermal mass. And yes,
when we're stir-frying meat/poultry on maximum heat we *do* cook it in
very small batches to try to minimize this problem.

How quickly it can recover from a drop in temperature depends on the
size of the element (and we use 240V appliances, so we don't have the
US restriction of 1500W per outlet max, and this particular wok has a
2000W element - and I don't even find that to have sufficient "oomph"
to recover quickly enough).

The problem I was talking about, which is what you also mentioned up
thread, is keeping a constant temperature without adding or removing
anything from the wok - and not only when it's set for maximum heat.
For example, if I'm letting something like coconut milk simmer on low
heat for a while to reduce it, I have the same problem. The thermostat
in an electric wok is an on/off switch, unlike the knob on a gas
burner, so the temperature drops to below where I want it to be, then
it heats up to almost boiling, switches off, and gradually cools down
again. With a gas burner and a suitable wok I could set it to stay at a
(more or less) constant temperature.

My wok is one of these (exact model) if you're interested:

http://www.kenwoodworld.com/en/Produ...ric-Wok/EW200/
or
http://tinyurl.com/32zlog4
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 22:46:18 -0700, isw > wrote:

>Electric skillets and woks draw about 1,500 watts (about the maximum you
>can get out of a US electrical outlet), which is equivalent to about 85
>BTU per minute...

Try 5,120 BTU. 1 watt = 3.413 BTU.

>... The entire circuit that supplies an electric cooktop is
>probably 220 volts at 30 amps, or 6,600 watts. Which is still only about
>375 BTU/minute.

Try 22,525 BTU.

>An "ordinary" domestic gas stove will have a burner or two capable of,
>maybe 9,000 BTU.

My GE Profile electric has a main burner of 3,200 watts, or 10,900 BTU.

The equivalent GE gas product has a high-output burner of 12,000 BTU.

That's not much of a difference.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst > wrote:

>My GE Profile electric has a main burner of 3,200 watts, or 10,900 BTU.
>
>The equivalent GE gas product has a high-output burner of 12,000 BTU.

The BTU ratings on gas burners is fudged by a fairly large ratio.
The actual heat output is less than the BTU stated by the manufacturer.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 10:53:35 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> On 6/1/2010 10:32 AM, blake murphy wrote:
>
>> i *much* preferred using a round-bottomed wok (with ring) on a gas stove to
>> using a flat-bottomed one on an electric. mush, much better heat contol.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> A round bottomed wok works great with an electric burner. We don't need
> no stinkin' heat control! All I need is full blast or off - I mean, we
> ain't making French toast here... :-)

i can't understand using a round-bottom wok without the ring not matter
what kind of stove. you'd have to have one hand on the wok at all times,
wouldn't you? one hand to stir, and suddenly you're out of hands.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
pltrgyst > wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 22:46:18 -0700, isw > wrote:
>
> >Electric skillets and woks draw about 1,500 watts (about the maximum you
> >can get out of a US electrical outlet), which is equivalent to about 85
> >BTU per minute...

> Try 5,120 BTU. 1 watt = 3.413 BTU.
>
> >... The entire circuit that supplies an electric cooktop is
> >probably 220 volts at 30 amps, or 6,600 watts. Which is still only about
> >375 BTU/minute.

> Try 22,525 BTU.

The conversions are pretty loosy goosy. There's an implied "hour" after
"watts" and "btu". Divide by 60 to get minutes. Of course, then you
should really divide both sides. I've never seen anybody use minutes,
but then, most wok cookery doesn't involve hours either.

OK, that doesn't make any sense!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/2/2010 10:05 AM, Dan Abel wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 22:46:18 -0700, > wrote:
>>
>>> Electric skillets and woks draw about 1,500 watts (about the maximum you
>>> can get out of a US electrical outlet), which is equivalent to about 85
>>> BTU per minute...

>> Try 5,120 BTU. 1 watt = 3.413 BTU.
>>
>>> ... The entire circuit that supplies an electric cooktop is
>>> probably 220 volts at 30 amps, or 6,600 watts. Which is still only about
>>> 375 BTU/minute.

>> Try 22,525 BTU.

> The conversions are pretty loosy goosy. There's an implied "hour" after
> "watts" and "btu". Divide by 60 to get minutes. Of course, then you
> should really divide both sides. I've never seen anybody use minutes,
> but then, most wok cookery doesn't involve hours either.
>
> OK, that doesn't make any sense!

BTU/minute is a pretty funky unit. I wouldn't know what to make out of
something like 43W/minute but I do know what a 2600W burner going at
full blast looks like.

I have a question about power. Does it take twice the power to cook
twice the amount of food?

>>> An "ordinary" domestic gas stove will have a burner or two capable of,
>>> maybe 9,000 BTU.

>> My GE Profile electric has a main burner of 3,200 watts, or 10,900 BTU.

I'll probably buy a stove or a cooktop soon. It will be the first one
I've ever bought in my life. I'll have to make sure I get one with a
3200W burner - that would be cool!

>> The equivalent GE gas product has a high-output burner of 12,000 BTU.
>>
>> That's not much of a difference.
>>
>> -- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote on Wed, 02 Jun 2010 10:33:42 -1000:

> I'll probably buy a stove or a cooktop soon. It will be the
> first one I've ever bought in my life. I'll have to make sure
> I get one with a 3200W burner - that would be cool!

I hope not!
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 10:33:42 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>I'll probably buy a stove or a cooktop soon. It will be the first one
>I've ever bought in my life. I'll have to make sure I get one with a
>3200W burner - that would be cool!

Well, the other part of that equation is the diameter of the burner. In
order to makefull use of that potential, your pan must be at least the
diameter of the burner, and those 3200 watt burners are 12 inches in
diameter. (My GE, for example, is switchable among 12, 9, and six
inches, but you don't get full power at the smaller diameters.)

One of the bigger frustrations in buying pots and pans is that
advertisers always tell us the volume, but rarely tell us the diameter
of the contact circle.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/2/2010 11:17 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 10:33:42 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> I'll probably buy a stove or a cooktop soon. It will be the first one
>> I've ever bought in my life. I'll have to make sure I get one with a
>> 3200W burner - that would be cool!

> Well, the other part of that equation is the diameter of the burner. In
> order to makefull use of that potential, your pan must be at least the
> diameter of the burner, and those 3200 watt burners are 12 inches in
> diameter. (My GE, for example, is switchable among 12, 9, and six
> inches, but you don't get full power at the smaller diameters.)
>
> One of the bigger frustrations in buying pots and pans is that
> advertisers always tell us the volume, but rarely tell us the diameter
> of the contact circle.
>
> -- Larry

I cook oatmeal for my mother-in-law every morning. I'm pretty much
resigned to the fact that I have to use a small saucepan on a big
burner. It's pretty wasteful but I really have to get to work - the
small elements just don't cut it. That's the breaks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I've used a regular wok and a fire ring on an electric stove with no
> problem. Since I like to cook at high heat, I wasn't expecting it to
> work but it did. Just make sure your burner gets pretty hot and you do
> your frying in parts.

Does this eliminate woks with nonstick coatings? Most of them say you
should use low-med heat, never high. That seems to contradict the
whole point of using a wok...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 12:30:21 -0700, Steve > wrote:

> > I've used a regular wok and a fire ring on an electric stove with no
> > problem. Since I like to cook at high heat, I wasn't expecting it to
> > work but it did. Just make sure your burner gets pretty hot and you do
> > your frying in parts.

> Does this eliminate woks with nonstick coatings? Most of them say you
> should use low-med heat, never high. That seems to contradict the
> whole point of using a wok...

Think about it....
wok cooking = use high heat
nonstick coating = don't use high heat

Can you do one with the other? Only if your intent is to come here
asking stupid questions.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-07-17, Steve > wrote:

> Does this eliminate woks with nonstick coatings? Most of them say you
> should use low-med heat, never high. That seems to contradict the
> whole point of using a wok...

It certainly does.

I've had both. I now use a steel wok on a turkey fryer burner.
Unless you have a large wok, 14" or larger, I suggest one with a large
saucepan style handle. Mine also has a loop handle on the opposite
side with a wood grip, but I expect the wood to burn off shortly.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve" > wrote in message
>> I've used a regular wok and a fire ring on an electric stove with no
>> problem. Since I like to cook at high heat, I wasn't expecting it to
>> work but it did. Just make sure your burner gets pretty hot and you do
>> your frying in parts.

> Does this eliminate woks with nonstick coatings? Most of them say you
> should use low-med heat, never high. That seems to contradict the
> whole point of using a wok...

If it has non-stick coating, it is not a wok, It is a strange cooking device
of poor quality and limited use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/17/2010 6:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Steve" > wrote in message
>>> I've used a regular wok and a fire ring on an electric stove with no
>>> problem. Since I like to cook at high heat, I wasn't expecting it to
>>> work but it did. Just make sure your burner gets pretty hot and you do
>>> your frying in parts.

>> Does this eliminate woks with nonstick coatings? Most of them say you
>> should use low-med heat, never high. That seems to contradict the
>> whole point of using a wok...

> If it has non-stick coating, it is not a wok, It is a strange cooking
> device of poor quality and limited use.

However if it is made of steel, and if you do not have a bird, you can
remove any wooden or plastic bits, run it through a self-cleaning oven,
brush out any powder that's left after the Teflon goes away, put the
wooden or plastic bits back, and _now_ it's a wok.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 08:00:08 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>>> Does this eliminate woks with nonstick coatings? Most of them say you
>>> should use low-med heat, never high. That seems to contradict the
>>> whole point of using a wok...

>> If it has non-stick coating, it is not a wok, It is a strange cooking
>> device of poor quality and limited use.

>However if it is made of steel, and if you do not have a bird, you can
>remove any wooden or plastic bits, run it through a self-cleaning oven,
>brush out any powder that's left after the Teflon goes away, put the
>wooden or plastic bits back, and _now_ it's a wok.

Actually not... the steel was chemically etched to a roughness for the
non stick coating to attach... all your method does is create scrap
metal... and the fumes will probably kill you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>> Does this eliminate woks with nonstick coatings? Most of them say you
>> should use low-med heat, never high. That seems to contradict the
>> whole point of using a wok...

>If it has non-stick coating, it is not a wok, It is a strange cooking device
>of poor quality and limited use.

Can't argue with that, but there sure are lots of people using these
strange cooking devices. Even in the local Chinatown, the vast
majority of "woks" on display are nonstick.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
>Can you do one with the other? Only if your intent is to come here
>asking stupid questions.

Do you feel better now? Back on your meds?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:31:11 -0700, Steve > wrote:

> sf > wrote:
> >Can you do one with the other? Only if your intent is to come here
> >asking stupid questions.

> Do you feel better now? Back on your meds?

You're an idiot.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:30:31 -0700, Steve > wrote:

>Can't argue with that, but there sure are lots of people using these
>strange cooking devices. Even in the local Chinatown, the vast
>majority of "woks" on display are nonstick.

There are high-temperature pan surfaces other than Teflon and the like
which are marketed as "non-stick." These include the hard black
coatings found on Le Creuset grill pans and, more to the point, Le
Creuset cast iron woks.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 31, 2010 at 4:37:50 AM UTC+3, Kalmia wrote:
> On May 30, 8:08Â*pm, Steve > wrote:
> > I have an electric stove, wondering if I'd be just as well off with an
> > electric wok rather than a stovetop model. Are the wattages high
> > enough on electric woks?

> Get the electric. I had a stovetop manual type - the wok just didn't
> get hot enough, even with the burner at its highest setting.
>
> Actually, I have had good success with wok recipes made in a plain old
> deep skillet. Save your money and storage space, maybe?

Hi,

I concur with you, electric woks are the best. You can use an electric gourmet wok anywhere as long as there is electricity. This makes them really convenient to use. I recommend you check on the top 6 best electric woks so as to get the best and understand their functionalities. https://itday.com/kitchen/top-6-best...-guide-buyers/

Regards.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 2:05:53 AM UTC-10, wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I concur with you, electric woks are the best. You can use an electric gourmet wok anywhere as long as there is electricity. This makes them really convenient to use. I recommend you check on the top 6 best electric woks so as to get the best and understand their functionalities. https://itday.com/kitchen/top-6-best...-guide-buyers/
>
> Regards.

I've never had an electric pan that ever got very hot. I can't imagine an electric wok would fare much better. OTOH, a wok that operates at 240V might work very well. Too bad we don't have such a thing in the US.

Heres what I made last night. Wokked in a wok.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...Jwwg62ArP4ISkz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2017 12:51 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 2:05:53 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I concur with you, electric woks are the best. You can use an electric gourmet wok anywhere as long as there is electricity. This makes them really convenient to use. I recommend you check on the top 6 best electric woks so as to get the best and understand their functionalities. https://itday.com/kitchen/top-6-best...-guide-buyers/
>>
>> Regards.

> I've never had an electric pan that ever got very hot. I can't imagine an electric wok would fare much better. OTOH, a wok that operates at 240V might work very well. Too bad we don't have such a thing in the US.
>
> Heres what I made last night. Wokked in a wok.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...Jwwg62ArP4ISkz

Â* Mine's a plain steel one with a small flat on the bottom . I use it
over a 14,000 BTU burner on my gas range . Seldom need full heat except
when browning the meats .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 12:45:14 PM UTC-10, Terry Coombs wrote:

> Â* Mine's a plain steel one with a small flat on the bottom . I use it
> over a 14,000 BTU burner on my gas range . Seldom need full heat except
> when browning the meats .
>
> Â* --
>
> Â* Snag

My wok is like that. Surprisingly, that thin metal works with an induction range. My son recently moved into some kind of hell hole. I bought him a wok to use with his gas range. It is my hope that he learns how to use the range, wok, and oven. My wife said he heated up a store bought pizza the other day. That's a good start.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2017 11:51 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 2:05:53 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I concur with you, electric woks are the best. You can use an electric gourmet wok anywhere as long as there is electricity. This makes them really convenient to use. I recommend you check on the top 6 best electric woks so as to get the best and understand their functionalities. https://itday.com/kitchen/top-6-best...-guide-buyers/
>>
>> Regards.

> I've never had an electric pan that ever got very hot. I can't imagine an electric wok would fare much better. OTOH, a wok that operates at 240V might work very well. Too bad we don't have such a thing in the US.
>
> Heres what I made last night. Wokked in a wok.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...Jwwg62ArP4ISkz

King Pao style sea scallops?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 3:04:59 PM UTC-10, Casa lo pensa wrote:

> King Pao style sea scallops?

Hoo boy, that would be great! This was merely spicy chicken. Scallops would be mighty tasty. I'll have to try that. Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/3/2017 7:22 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 3:04:59 PM UTC-10, Casa lo pensa wrote:
>>
>> King Pao style sea scallops?

> Hoo boy, that would be great! This was merely spicy chicken.

Some LARGE chunks!

> Scallops would be mighty tasty. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

You know they are great, just flash fry so very fast, which is a stir
fry 101 basic as you know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 3:37:12 PM UTC-10, Casa lo pensa wrote:
> On 10/3/2017 7:22 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 3:04:59 PM UTC-10, Casa lo pensa wrote:
> >>
> >> King Pao style sea scallops?

> > Hoo boy, that would be great! This was merely spicy chicken.

> Some LARGE chunks!
>
> > Scallops would be mighty tasty. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

> You know they are great, just flash fry so very fast, which is a stir
> fry 101 basic as you know.

I'll have to try that for sure. As it goes, I'll probably have to just bread it and deep fry. Stir frying scallops is tricky! Here's what I had for lunch: grilled chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, Okinawan sweet potatoes, and a tossed salad. Not bad for under $7.00!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...J6id0EObH9bk2q
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/4/2017 1:30 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 3:37:12 PM UTC-10, Casa lo pensa wrote:

>>> Hoo boy, that would be great! This was merely spicy chicken.

>> Some LARGE chunks!
>>
>>> Scallops would be mighty tasty. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

>> You know they are great, just flash fry so very fast, which is a stir
>> fry 101 basic as you know.

> I'll have to try that for sure. As it goes, I'll probably have to just bread it and deep fry.

That's a riff I can go for too!

>Stir frying scallops is tricky!

The key is an empty wok and smoking hot oil and then let them rest for 2
minutes before flipping and 2 minutes again.

It's less a stir fry than a flash fry.

After that veggies and sauce and a quick bath and all is done.

> Here's what I had for lunch: grilled chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, Okinawan sweet potatoes, and a tossed salad. Not bad for under $7.00!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...J6id0EObH9bk2q

Dang it!

Is it even possible to get a bad plate lunch on that rock??

Muy jealous!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-10-03, Terry Coombs > wrote:

> On 10/3/2017 12:51 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> I've never had an electric pan that ever got very hot. I can't
>> imagine an electric wok would fare much better.

I've yet to see an electric wok that gets hot worth a damn. I've had
both, an electric and a 14 ga steel w/ flat. I tossed the electric.

> Mine's a plain steel one with a small flat on the bottom . I use it
> over a 14,000 BTU burner on my gas range .

I usta use my steel wok ona turkey-fryer-burner (approx 20K BTU), but
now only use it on my propane range in the kitchen. Regardless, I'd
keep the steel wok and lose the electric, buying, instead, a burner
that will do a proper job. Gobble fer turkey-fryer prices. (hey, I
made a joke!)

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking