Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition,alt.home.repair
Elmo[_2_] Elmo[_2_] is offline

Default What is a good recipe for home made carbonated cola (with a similar kick as coca cola or pepsi)?

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:26:49 +0000 (UTC), Elmo wrote:

> Which is the "essential" ingredient in the above that gives it the
> satisfying cola kick you find in store-bought colas? (Note: Snopes thinks
> it the leaf ... http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/formula.asp )

Actually, I found LOTS of home made cola recipes (I should have googled
more extensively before I asked for a home made cola recipe).
http://www.alpharubicon.com/kids/makesoda.html
http://sparror.cubecinema.com/cube/c...stry/cola2.htm
http://www.tristanstephenson.com/wor...e-cola-recipe/
http://coffeetea.about.com/od/sodas/Soda_Recipes.htm
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...ola78603.shtml
http://www.askyourneighbor.com/recipes/364.htm
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/namebrand/coca-cola.html
http://recipecircus.com/recipes/Harp...made_Cola.html
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...a-at-Home.aspx
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...a_recipes.html
etc.

The main problem with these homemade cola soda forumulas is they all seem
to have quite a variety of presumably hard-to-find ingredients, petit
grain, coriander oil, coco, phosphoric acid, caffeine (legal limit is
65mg/12oz = http://coffeefaq.com/site/node/13), dried lavender flowers,
cola nuts, star anise, citric acid, etc..

What's useful is to find a single supplier for the various ingredients,
yet, perhaps, what's more interesting is to figure out what the secret
ingredient is that give it the essential mind-numbing bite.