Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Onion skin dyed eggs

I never took a photo series of the process, but I should.
Just the final result:

<http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...A?feat=directl
ink>

Take your raw whole eggs, wrap them in the papery dried skins of yellow
onions (those work best), then wrap that firmly in some cotton cloth
scraps or cheesecloth. Bind the fabric around the eggs with rubber
bands or cotton cord.

Hard boil the wrapped eggs as usual.

Let cool and unwrap. Let them dry then coat them lightly with a little
cooking oil. That enhances the colors and gives them a bit of shine. :-)

This is an annual family tradition to make these. Mom always made them
every year...
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:15:11 -0600:

> <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...VGVKWy7T49xA?f
> eat=directl

ink>>
> Take your raw whole eggs, wrap them in the papery dried skins
> of yellow onions (those work best), then wrap that firmly in
> some cotton cloth scraps or cheesecloth. Bind the fabric
> around the eggs with rubber bands or cotton cord.

> Hard boil the wrapped eggs as usual.

> Let cool and unwrap. Let them dry then coat them lightly with
> a little cooking oil. That enhances the colors and gives them
> a bit of shine. :-)

> This is an annual family tradition to make these. Mom always
> made them every year...

Just throwing in onion skins when hard boiling the eggs is simpler.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:15:11 -0600:
>
> > <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...VGVKWy7T49xA?f
> > eat=directl

> ink>>
> > Take your raw whole eggs, wrap them in the papery dried skins
> > of yellow onions (those work best), then wrap that firmly in
> > some cotton cloth scraps or cheesecloth. Bind the fabric
> > around the eggs with rubber bands or cotton cord.

> > Hard boil the wrapped eggs as usual.

> > Let cool and unwrap. Let them dry then coat them lightly with
> > a little cooking oil. That enhances the colors and gives them
> > a bit of shine. :-)

> > This is an annual family tradition to make these. Mom always
> > made them every year...

> Just throwing in onion skins when hard boiling the eggs is simpler.

Uh yeah, but you will just get rusty orange colored eggs. You will NOT
get that marbled patterning doing that. Did you look at the jpeg? It's
not the same at ALL.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:39:58 -0600:

>> Omelet wrote on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:15:11 -0600:
>>
> >> <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...mQ6VGVKWy7T49x
> >> A?f eat=directl

> ink>>>
> >> Take your raw whole eggs, wrap them in the papery dried
> >> skins of yellow onions (those work best), then wrap that
> >> firmly in some cotton cloth scraps or cheesecloth. Bind
> >> the fabric around the eggs with rubber bands or cotton
> >> cord.

> >> Hard boil the wrapped eggs as usual.

> >> Let cool and unwrap. Let them dry then coat them lightly
> >> with a little cooking oil. That enhances the colors and
> >> gives them a bit of shine. :-)

> >> This is an annual family tradition to make these. Mom
> >> always made them every year...

>> Just throwing in onion skins when hard boiling the eggs is
>> simpler.

> Uh yeah, but you will just get rusty orange colored eggs. You
> will NOT get that marbled patterning doing that. Did you look
> at the jpeg? It's not the same at ALL.

I'll admit that I did not and I just have vague memories from childhood
(rather long gone, I'm afraid!)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> In article >,
> "James Silverton" > wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:15:11 -0600:
> >
> > > <
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...VGVKWy7T49xA?f
> > > eat=directl

> > ink>>
> > > Take your raw whole eggs, wrap them in the papery dried skins
> > > of yellow onions (those work best), then wrap that firmly in
> > > some cotton cloth scraps or cheesecloth. Bind the fabric
> > > around the eggs with rubber bands or cotton cord.

> > > Hard boil the wrapped eggs as usual.

> > > Let cool and unwrap. Let them dry then coat them lightly with
> > > a little cooking oil. That enhances the colors and gives them
> > > a bit of shine. :-)

> > > This is an annual family tradition to make these. Mom always
> > > made them every year...

> > Just throwing in onion skins when hard boiling the eggs is simpler.

> Uh yeah, but you will just get rusty orange colored eggs. You will NOT
> get that marbled patterning doing that. Did you look at the jpeg? It's
> not the same at ALL.

I might also add that you get better results when you use white, not
brown eggs. Also, try to pick onion skins as splotchy as possible.

You can use other stuff to color eggs in this manner, for instance
berries (blueberries/bilberries will result in blue eggs), saffron etc

rgds,
netcat

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 9:45 am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> Omelet wrote on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:39:58 -0600:

> > ink>>>

> >> Just throwing in onion skins when hard boiling the eggs is
> >> simpler.

> > Uh yeah, but you will just get rusty orange colored eggs. You
> > will NOT get that marbled patterning doing that. Did you look
> > at the jpeg? It's not the same at ALL.

> I'll admit that I did not and I just have vague memories from childhood
> (rather long gone, I'm afraid!)
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Yep, those are pretty. I've only done it the lazy way was not
impressed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:15:11 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

> I never took a photo series of the process, but I should.
> Just the final result:
>
> <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...A?feat=directl
> ink>
>
> Take your raw whole eggs, wrap them in the papery dried skins of yellow
> onions (those work best), then wrap that firmly in some cotton cloth
> scraps or cheesecloth. Bind the fabric around the eggs with rubber
> bands or cotton cord.
>
> Hard boil the wrapped eggs as usual.
>
> Let cool and unwrap. Let them dry then coat them lightly with a little
> cooking oil. That enhances the colors and gives them a bit of shine. :-)

I've always wanted to do that and haven't yet. I remember years ago -
when they were showing it on TV they put pieces of fern and other
pretty leaves to make a design. The finished eggs were awesome!
http://www.instructables.com/id/East...Onion-Skins_1/

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 10:39*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> *"James Silverton" > wrote:
>

> > *Omelet *wrote *on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:15:11 -0600:

> > > <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...VGVKWy7T49xA?f
> > > eat=directl

> > ink>>
> > > Take your raw whole eggs, wrap them in the papery dried skins
> > > of yellow onions (those work best), then wrap that firmly in
> > > some cotton cloth scraps or cheesecloth. *Bind the fabric
> > > around the eggs with rubber bands or cotton cord.

> > > Hard boil the wrapped eggs as usual.

> > > Let cool and unwrap. *Let them dry then coat them lightly with
> > > a little cooking oil. *That enhances the colors and gives them
> > > a bit of shine. :-)

> > > This is an annual family tradition to make these. Mom always
> > > made them every year...

> > Just throwing in onion skins when hard boiling the eggs is simpler.

> Uh yeah, but you will just get rusty orange colored eggs. *You will NOT
> get that marbled patterning doing that. Did you look at the jpeg? *It's
> not the same at ALL.

Mine come out kind of brownish with stripes around them. I also use
tea bags from stuff I didn't like. Do the red onions give any more
yellow coloring? I've always used a mix.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 16:29:24 GMT:

>> In article >,
>> "James Silverton" > wrote:

> >> Just throwing in onion skins when hard boiling the eggs is
> >> simpler.

>> Uh yeah, but you will just get rusty orange colored eggs.
>> You will NOT get that marbled patterning doing that.

> We used to draw on the egg shell with a plain wax candle
> before cooking them with onion skin; the waxed areas stayed
> pale and you could have your egg with your initials, flowers,
> chickens etc on it

The wax technique can be used with other than onion skins. Food coloring
is fine to achieve bright colos.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2010 10:15 AM, Omelet wrote:
> I never took a photo series of the process, but I should.
> Just the final result:
>
> <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...A?feat=directl
> ink>
>
> Take your raw whole eggs, wrap them in the papery dried skins of yellow
> onions (those work best), then wrap that firmly in some cotton cloth
> scraps or cheesecloth. Bind the fabric around the eggs with rubber
> bands or cotton cord.
>
> Hard boil the wrapped eggs as usual.
>
> Let cool and unwrap. Let them dry then coat them lightly with a little
> cooking oil. That enhances the colors and gives them a bit of shine. :-)
>
> This is an annual family tradition to make these. Mom always made them
> every year...

I tried this one year, many years ago. They were lovely.
I was also trying other unconventional egg dyes but I can't
recall now exactly what the others were. I think there was
some green vegetable among other things.

I've also tea-dyed eggs. You crack the shells all over but
don't remove them then steep the eggs in the hot tea. When
done you remove the shells and you have a pattern of brown
lines where the cracks were. Very pretty.

And then one year I made pysanky. (This was probably 30 or
more years ago.) I think I still have the "pen"
for applying the bees wax. They were pretty cool but so much
work I never got around to trying them again.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2010 10:23 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> Omelet wrote on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:15:11 -0600:
>
>> <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...VGVKWy7T49xA?f
>> eat=directl

> ink>>
>> Take your raw whole eggs, wrap them in the papery dried skins of
>> yellow onions (those work best), then wrap that firmly in
>> some cotton cloth scraps or cheesecloth. Bind the fabric
>> around the eggs with rubber bands or cotton cord.

>> Hard boil the wrapped eggs as usual.

>> Let cool and unwrap. Let them dry then coat them lightly with
>> a little cooking oil. That enhances the colors and gives them
>> a bit of shine. :-)

>> This is an annual family tradition to make these. Mom always
>> made them every year...

> Just throwing in onion skins when hard boiling the eggs is simpler.

Yeah, that's the way I remember doing it. But there was
another technique I tried where you put a leaf or something
on the egg and then wrap it snuggly with an old stocking, cut
up to fit, or I guess you could use cheesecloth. But after
they are died and you remove the material and the leaf, or
whatever, there is a white pattern left on the colored
background. Neat!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2010 10:39 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> "James > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:15:11 -0600:
>>
>>> <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...VGVKWy7T49xA?f
>>> eat=directl

>> ink>>
>>> Take your raw whole eggs, wrap them in the papery dried skins
>>> of yellow onions (those work best), then wrap that firmly in
>>> some cotton cloth scraps or cheesecloth. Bind the fabric
>>> around the eggs with rubber bands or cotton cord.

>>> Hard boil the wrapped eggs as usual.

>>> Let cool and unwrap. Let them dry then coat them lightly with
>>> a little cooking oil. That enhances the colors and gives them
>>> a bit of shine. :-)

>>> This is an annual family tradition to make these. Mom always
>>> made them every year...

>> Just throwing in onion skins when hard boiling the eggs is simpler.

> Uh yeah, but you will just get rusty orange colored eggs. You will NOT
> get that marbled patterning doing that. Did you look at the jpeg? It's
> not the same at ALL.

Actually, no. The directions I have say to include some of the
white of the onion and so it's not all the colored skin. Gives a
mottled effect. Where the onion touches the dye from the skin
doesn't get through.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

> Yeah, that's the way I remember doing it. But there was
> another technique I tried where you put a leaf or something
> on the egg and then wrap it snuggly with an old stocking, cut
> up to fit, or I guess you could use cheesecloth. But after
> they are died and you remove the material and the leaf, or
> whatever, there is a white pattern left on the colored
> background. Neat!

My earlier post about this disappeared into the ether, I guess.

I mentioned that wrapping the egg in a red cabbage leaf the way
you say produces a blue marbled egg.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:39:58 -0600:

> > ink>>>

> >> Just throwing in onion skins when hard boiling the eggs is
> >> simpler.

> > Uh yeah, but you will just get rusty orange colored eggs. You
> > will NOT get that marbled patterning doing that. Did you look
> > at the jpeg? It's not the same at ALL.

> I'll admit that I did not and I just have vague memories from childhood
> (rather long gone, I'm afraid!)

I forgive you. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
netcat > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > In article >,

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...VGVKWy7T49xA?f
> > > ink>>

> > > Just throwing in onion skins when hard boiling the eggs is simpler.

> > Uh yeah, but you will just get rusty orange colored eggs. You will NOT
> > get that marbled patterning doing that. Did you look at the jpeg? It's
> > not the same at ALL.

> I might also add that you get better results when you use white, not
> brown eggs. Also, try to pick onion skins as splotchy as possible.
>
> You can use other stuff to color eggs in this manner, for instance
> berries (blueberries/bilberries will result in blue eggs), saffron etc
>
> rgds,
> netcat

I've wanted to try edible leaves of some sort some time. Maybe dried
spinach leaves or some such. I can dehydrate leafy stuff in the space
between filters in my furnace/ac area. Been doing that with extra basil
when a plant is fixin' to die.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
bulka > wrote:

> Yep, those are pretty. I've only done it the lazy way was not
> impressed.

Thanks. :-) It's a bit labor intensive, but I did this with my nephews
last year. The older one did a downright good job. After the younger
broke 3 eggs (crushed them in his powerful little grip!), we just had
him start handing us onion skins. <g> He was 3. I'm still not sure he's
ready to try this year, but I'll let him try anyway. I'm not going to
fuss over a few broken eggs!
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:15:11 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > I never took a photo series of the process, but I should.
> > Just the final result:
> >
> > <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...A?feat=directl
> > ink>
> >
> > Take your raw whole eggs, wrap them in the papery dried skins of yellow
> > onions (those work best), then wrap that firmly in some cotton cloth
> > scraps or cheesecloth. Bind the fabric around the eggs with rubber
> > bands or cotton cord.
> >
> > Hard boil the wrapped eggs as usual.
> >
> > Let cool and unwrap. Let them dry then coat them lightly with a little
> > cooking oil. That enhances the colors and gives them a bit of shine. :-)
> >

> I've always wanted to do that and haven't yet. I remember years ago -
> when they were showing it on TV they put pieces of fern and other
> pretty leaves to make a design. The finished eggs were awesome!
> http://www.instructables.com/id/East...Onion-Skins_1/

Thanks for posting those instructions sf. :-)

I've never tried using fern leaves. Place the fern leaves under the
onion skins or just use fern leaves by themselves on an egg? I may have
to try that, but I don't own a fern. :-(
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
maxine in ri > wrote:

> Mine come out kind of brownish with stripes around them. I also use
> tea bags from stuff I didn't like. Do the red onions give any more
> yellow coloring? I've always used a mix.
>
> maxine in ri

I played a bit with purple onion skins but they come out kind of a dull
bluish color without much pattern. Nowhere near as intense.

I've thought about trying shallot hulls if I can collect enough from the
bin at the grocery store. They never have minded me "cleaning" skins
from the bins at the store. Saves them the work. <g>

Plus, I put them in a bag and put them on the produce scale and stick a
price tag on them. A bag of them will cost me maybe 5 cents. I'm sure
they'd let me have them for free, but sometimes the produce guys get
involved and help me with the cleaning. :-)

They know me on site as I've been shopping there for many years.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Baraclough > wrote:

> The message >
> from Omelet > contains these words:
>
> > In article >,
> > "James Silverton" > wrote:

> > > Just throwing in onion skins when hard boiling the eggs is simpler.

> > Uh yeah, but you will just get rusty orange colored eggs. You will NOT
> > get that marbled patterning doing that.

> We used to draw on the egg shell with a plain wax candle before
> cooking them with onion skin; the waxed areas stayed pale
> and you could have your egg with your initials, flowers, chickens etc on it
>
> Janet

Yeah. Some of the older "paas" kits used to come with colored wax sticks
for the same effect.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> I tried this one year, many years ago. They were lovely.
> I was also trying other unconventional egg dyes but I can't
> recall now exactly what the others were. I think there was
> some green vegetable among other things.
>
> I've also tea-dyed eggs. You crack the shells all over but
> don't remove them then steep the eggs in the hot tea. When
> done you remove the shells and you have a pattern of brown
> lines where the cracks were. Very pretty.

Pastorio used to make those. They are cool for making deviled eggs.
I've not tried it yet but that's an idea for the next potluck I attend.
:-)

> And then one year I made pysanky. (This was probably 30 or
> more years ago.) I think I still have the "pen"
> for applying the bees wax. They were pretty cool but so much
> work I never got around to trying them again.
>
> Kate

Melba makes those! I think she posted some a couple of weeks ago. She's
got the hand for it for sure. I've never tried it.

I'm wondering if she'd like to try that with a clean Rhea egg if I ever
dig any out of storage again. I'm not sure exactly where they are...
but I have plenty of emu shells. The dark green coloring on those tho'
is not suitable for pysanki.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> On 3/23/2010 10:23 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> > Omelet wrote on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:15:11 -0600:
> >
> >> <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...VGVKWy7T49xA?f
> >> eat=directl

> > ink>>
> >> Take your raw whole eggs, wrap them in the papery dried skins of
> >> yellow onions (those work best), then wrap that firmly in
> >> some cotton cloth scraps or cheesecloth. Bind the fabric
> >> around the eggs with rubber bands or cotton cord.

> >> Hard boil the wrapped eggs as usual.

> >> Let cool and unwrap. Let them dry then coat them lightly with
> >> a little cooking oil. That enhances the colors and gives them
> >> a bit of shine. :-)

> >> This is an annual family tradition to make these. Mom always
> >> made them every year...

> > Just throwing in onion skins when hard boiling the eggs is simpler.

> Yeah, that's the way I remember doing it. But there was
> another technique I tried where you put a leaf or something
> on the egg and then wrap it snuggly with an old stocking, cut
> up to fit, or I guess you could use cheesecloth. But after
> they are died and you remove the material and the leaf, or
> whatever, there is a white pattern left on the colored
> background. Neat!
>
> Kate

Yeah. Barb mentioned using fern leaf for that. :-) It sounds interesting.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
>
> > Yeah, that's the way I remember doing it. But there was
> > another technique I tried where you put a leaf or something
> > on the egg and then wrap it snuggly with an old stocking, cut
> > up to fit, or I guess you could use cheesecloth. But after
> > they are died and you remove the material and the leaf, or
> > whatever, there is a white pattern left on the colored
> > background. Neat!

> My earlier post about this disappeared into the ether, I guess.
>
> I mentioned that wrapping the egg in a red cabbage leaf the way
> you say produces a blue marbled egg.
>
> nancy

I saw it... and I want to try it.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> My earlier post about this disappeared into the ether, I guess.
>>
>> I mentioned that wrapping the egg in a red cabbage leaf the way
>> you say produces a blue marbled egg.

> I saw it... and I want to try it.

Oh, it didn't show up for me until later. Whatever. I did that
once and the color blue really was pretty, with the white veining
showing through. I don't know what colors the other cabbages
would produce.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> >> My earlier post about this disappeared into the ether, I guess.
> >>
> >> I mentioned that wrapping the egg in a red cabbage leaf the way
> >> you say produces a blue marbled egg.

> > I saw it... and I want to try it.

> Oh, it didn't show up for me until later. Whatever. I did that
> once and the color blue really was pretty, with the white veining
> showing through. I don't know what colors the other cabbages
> would produce.
>
> nancy

Hey, I can always use hard boiled eggs. :-) And they keep awhile,
especially since the Hobart's been holding at 35 degrees lately. I'd
had some Romaine in there for 5 weeks here recently and finally used it
over the past couple of days and there was no spoilage...

Might be worth experimenting with!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:05:47 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

> I've never tried using fern leaves. Place the fern leaves under the
> onion skins or just use fern leaves by themselves on an egg?

It's an under thing, like wax resist.

> I may have to try that, but I don't own a fern. :-(

You have other leaves and grasses to try!

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:05:47 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > I've never tried using fern leaves. Place the fern leaves under the
> > onion skins or just use fern leaves by themselves on an egg?

> It's an under thing, like wax resist.
>
> > I may have to try that, but I don't own a fern. :-(

> You have other leaves and grasses to try!

True that. Johnson grass seed heads might be interesting.
Thanks for the ideas!
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Tue 23 Mar 2010 02:38:09p, Nancy Young told us...
>
> > Omelet wrote:

> >> I saw it... and I want to try it.

> > Oh, it didn't show up for me until later. Whatever. I did that
> > once and the color blue really was pretty, with the white veining
> > showing through. I don't know what colors the other cabbages
> > would produce.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> Another color and method is boiling the eggs with beet peelings, which
> gives a very pretty deep rose color.

Hm. Give me an excuse to purchase fresh beets for dad, and the fresh
beet greens for ME. ;-d

You have seen my pickled beets. They are a pleasant rose color from just
using canned beet juice. I may have to try it on the shells.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 23 Mar 2010 02:38:09p, Nancy Young told us...

>> Oh, it didn't show up for me until later. Whatever. I did that
>> once and the color blue really was pretty, with the white veining
>> showing through. I don't know what colors the other cabbages
>> would produce.

> Another color and method is boiling the eggs with beet peelings, which
> gives a very pretty deep rose color.

Hmmm ... wouldn't it be dangerous to cook the eggs with something
inedible? ... I suppose you could label them Do Not Eat.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Kate Connally wrote:
>
>> Yeah, that's the way I remember doing it. But there was
>> another technique I tried where you put a leaf or something
>> on the egg and then wrap it snuggly with an old stocking, cut
>> up to fit, or I guess you could use cheesecloth. But after
>> they are died and you remove the material and the leaf, or
>> whatever, there is a white pattern left on the colored
>> background. Neat!

> My earlier post about this disappeared into the ether, I guess.
>
> I mentioned that wrapping the egg in a red cabbage leaf the way
> you say produces a blue marbled egg.
>
> nancy

When the SBF first moved to the New World, she brought with her the old
world way of coloring Easter Eggs. She wrapped eggs in onion skins for
yellow, beet (UGH!) peels for red, and carrot peels for orange. Come to
think of it, why not use something that was just going to be composted
anyway.

Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Motzarella wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I mentioned that wrapping the egg in a red cabbage leaf the way
>> you say produces a blue marbled egg.

> When the SBF first moved to the New World, she brought with her the
> old world way of coloring Easter Eggs. She wrapped eggs in onion
> skins for yellow, beet (UGH!) peels for red, and carrot peels for
> orange. Come to think of it, why not use something that was just
> going to be composted anyway.

Carrot peels, never would have thought of that. At least I'd be
more likely to have those than beet peelings. Heh.

My family is actually doing Easter this year, maybe I'll get creative
with some eggs for fun.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 4:57*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *bulka > wrote:
> > Yep, those are pretty. *I've only done it the lazy way was not
> > impressed.

> Thanks. :-) *It's a bit labor intensive, but I did this with my nephews
> last year. The older one did a downright good job. After the younger
> broke 3 eggs (crushed them in his powerful little grip!), we just had
> him start handing us onion skins. <g> *He was 3. I'm still not sure he's
> ready to try this year, but I'll let him try anyway. *I'm not going to
> fuss over a few broken eggs!

How does he do with cats and other small animals? Our cat taught my
daughter to be gentle when she was 2, with a scratch on the wrist when
she got too rambunctious one time. After that, if we saw her getting
too rough, we'd tell her to be gentle, and she did. Little boys may
be less amenable to such, but the motor control between 3 and 4
improves markedly.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2010 11:42 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 23 Mar 2010 02:38:09p, Nancy Young told us...

>>> Oh, it didn't show up for me until later. Whatever. I did that
>>> once and the color blue really was pretty, with the white veining
>>> showing through. I don't know what colors the other cabbages
>>> would produce.

>> Another color and method is boiling the eggs with beet peelings, which
>> gives a very pretty deep rose color.

> Hmmm ... wouldn't it be dangerous to cook the eggs with something
> inedible? ... I suppose you could label them Do Not Eat.

Beet peelings are no more inedible than onion skins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:
> On 3/23/2010 11:42 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Tue 23 Mar 2010 02:38:09p, Nancy Young told us...

>>> Another color and method is boiling the eggs with beet peelings,
>>> which gives a very pretty deep rose color.

>> Hmmm ... wouldn't it be dangerous to cook the eggs with something
>> inedible? ... I suppose you could label them Do Not Eat.

> Beet peelings are no more inedible than onion skins.

It was just a little beet joke.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 08:48:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> > wrote:

>>> Hmmm ... wouldn't it be dangerous to cook the eggs with something
>>> inedible? ... I suppose you could label them Do Not Eat.

>> Beet peelings are no more inedible than onion skins.
>>

> They are if you can't stand beets.

(laughing) Well put.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 00:28:27 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Motzarella wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> I mentioned that wrapping the egg in a red cabbage leaf the way
>>> you say produces a blue marbled egg.

>> When the SBF first moved to the New World, she brought with her the
>> old world way of coloring Easter Eggs. She wrapped eggs in onion
>> skins for yellow, beet (UGH!) peels for red, and carrot peels for
>> orange. Come to think of it, why not use something that was just
>> going to be composted anyway.

>Carrot peels, never would have thought of that. At least I'd be
>more likely to have those than beet peelings. Heh.
>
>My family is actually doing Easter this year, maybe I'll get creative
>with some eggs for fun.
>
>nancy

For green use spinach. Various berries work well too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 08:48:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>On 3/23/2010 11:42 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Tue 23 Mar 2010 02:38:09p, Nancy Young told us...

>>> Another color and method is boiling the eggs with beet peelings, which
>>> gives a very pretty deep rose color.

>> Hmmm ... wouldn't it be dangerous to cook the eggs with something
>> inedible? ... I suppose you could label them Do Not Eat.

>Beet peelings are no more inedible than onion skins.

They are if you can't stand beets.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:41:31 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> The Cook wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 08:48:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> > > wrote:

> >> Beet peelings are no more inedible than onion skins.
> >>

> > They are if you can't stand beets.

> (laughing) Well put.

Are they planning to eat egg shells?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2010 11:42 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 23 Mar 2010 02:38:09p, Nancy Young told us...

>>> Oh, it didn't show up for me until later. Whatever. I did that
>>> once and the color blue really was pretty, with the white veining
>>> showing through. I don't know what colors the other cabbages
>>> would produce.

>> Another color and method is boiling the eggs with beet peelings, which
>> gives a very pretty deep rose color.

> Hmmm ... wouldn't it be dangerous to cook the eggs with something
> inedible? ... I suppose you could label them Do Not Eat.
>
> nancy

What exactly is inedible? Everything mentioned so far
seems edible. And it's on the outside anyway so what
difference would it make, unless it were something
really toxic.
Kate