Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default natural-dyed Easter eggs

So Carin made some really cool eggs today. It's the only part of
Easter she cares about, so we bought her a bunch of eggs and some
stuff to dye them with: beets, red cabbage, yellow onions, red
onions, and blueberries. She had fun doing it, and we like the
Victorian-simplicity look that came out. She may still paint them or
something.

And tomorrow, we're obviously having egg salad, and I think I'll
google that creamed-eggs-on-toast thing we talked about last Easter.

http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/0003syd5/

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 16 Apr 2006 09:48:42p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Serene?

> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/0003syd5/

They're lovely! I always wanted to do that.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Very nice. I did this one year after seeing my Mediterranean relatives'
efforts back in the ancestral village. They got a cool marbled effect
by wrapping the eggs in onion skins - stunning terracotta and orange
striations. I duplicated the effect by cutting up pantyhose and
rubberbanding it around the onionskin/egg concoction.

No pantyhose in the house so I didn't do it this year, but perhaps
next?

Leila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Maybe BARB would treat us to another look at her fabulous Easter
Eggs--Are you watching, Barb??

Pretty Please,

Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> So Carin made some really cool eggs today. It's the only part of
> Easter she cares about, so we bought her a bunch of eggs and some
> stuff to dye them with: beets, red cabbage, yellow onions, red
> onions, and blueberries. She had fun doing it, and we like the
> Victorian-simplicity look that came out. She may still paint them or
> something.
>
> And tomorrow, we're obviously having egg salad, and I think I'll
> google that creamed-eggs-on-toast thing we talked about last Easter.
>
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/0003syd5/
>
> serene

I love them! Very pretty!
I have done that for a number of years. This year I didn't dye any -
too sick to feel up to it.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> So Carin made some really cool eggs today. It's the only part of
> Easter she cares about, so we bought her a bunch of eggs and some
> stuff to dye them with: beets, red cabbage, yellow onions, red
> onions, and blueberries.
>
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/0003syd5/

Neato!

Do some with carrots, and some with spinach.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"nancree" > wrote:

> Maybe BARB would treat us to another look at her fabulous Easter
> Eggs--Are you watching, Barb??
>
> Pretty Please,
>
> Nancree

LOL. I've got one pic on my website - Church story #13, I think it is.

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-16-06, Church review #14

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article . com>,
> "nancree" > wrote:
>
> > Maybe BARB would treat us to another look at her fabulous Easter
> > Eggs--Are you watching, Barb??
> >
> > Pretty Please,
> >
> > Nancree

> LOL. I've got one pic on my website - Church story #13, I think it is.

And I just posted another note with several other pics.
Note to Sarah: My talents unbounded? Hah. I'm a crappy housekeeper.
I want everything within reach, so I don't put stuff away and I've got
too much stuff to start with besides! Light a candle. Maybe a torch.
To a stick of dynomite. Ugh!
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-16-06, Church review #14

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On 16 Apr 2006 23:07:03 -0700, "-L." > wrote:
>
> >I love them! Very pretty!
> >I have done that for a number of years. This year I didn't dye any -
> >too sick to feel up to it.

> Are you feeling *any* better? I've been fretting about you.
>
> Carol

Thanks, Carol. Yes, I am improving. I get hit hard with any cold -
goes in to asthma and then bronchitis - sometimes pneumonia. This all
started after a near-drowning incident in the Carribean in '96 - prior
to that I was healthy as a horse, but that incident screwed my lungs up
royally. That's why I get so damn made when I see snotty people
spreading germs in public.

The worst part is my little guy has been sick too - pretty much off and
on since the end of January. He's seemed to have finally turned the
corner, but as a first-time Mom seeing him sick (and fighting with the
doctors about it) has been harder for me than being sick myself.

Thanks for asking. It's been a rough 3+ weeks!

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> In article . com>,
>> "nancree" > wrote:
>>
>> > Maybe BARB would treat us to another look at her fabulous Easter
>> > Eggs--Are you watching, Barb??
>> >
>> > Pretty Please,
>> >
>> > Nancree

>> LOL. I've got one pic on my website - Church story #13, I think it is.

> And I just posted another note with several other pics.
> Note to Sarah: My talents unbounded? Hah. I'm a crappy housekeeper.
> I want everything within reach, so I don't put stuff away and I've got
> too much stuff to start with besides! Light a candle. Maybe a torch.
> To a stick of dynomite. Ugh!
> --
> -Barb
> <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-16-06, Church review #14
>
> "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

Oooooooo, ahhhhhhh, oh wow!! Those are just simply gorgeous!!

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Apr 2006 09:52:53 -0700, "-L." > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> Are you feeling *any* better? I've been fretting about you.

>Thanks, Carol. Yes, I am improving. I get hit hard with any cold -
>goes in to asthma and then bronchitis - sometimes pneumonia. This all
>started after a near-drowning incident in the Carribean in '96 - prior
>to that I was healthy as a horse, but that incident screwed my lungs up
>royally. That's why I get so damn made when I see snotty people
>spreading germs in public.

That must have bee frightening beyond belief! I'm glad you made it.
I'm so sorry to hear about your lungs - I have cought-variant asthma,
so I can empathize a *little*. Sounds like you get a lot worse than I
do, though.

>The worst part is my little guy has been sick too - pretty much off and
>on since the end of January. He's seemed to have finally turned the
>corner, but as a first-time Mom seeing him sick (and fighting with the
>doctors about it) has been harder for me than being sick myself.

Tell me about it! My daughter had things wrong with her that weren't
diagnosed until she hit her 20s. Her pediatritian just blew a lot of
her ailments off. And he was a highly respected doctor. Very
frustrating for the mom and the kid. I'm glad he's showing
improvement.

>Thanks for asking. It's been a rough 3+ weeks!

That long? That's terrible. With your permission, I'd like to pray
for the two of you. Please let me know.

Feel-better hugs,
Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> That must have bee frightening beyond belief! I'm glad you made it.
> I'm so sorry to hear about your lungs - I have cought-variant asthma,
> so I can empathize a *little*. Sounds like you get a lot worse than I
> do, though.

I have cough-variant asthma too - post-drowning. Took the docs 9 mos
to properly diagnose it. So many doctors don't even know what it is.

> >The worst part is my little guy has been sick too - pretty much off and
> >on since the end of January. He's seemed to have finally turned the
> >corner, but as a first-time Mom seeing him sick (and fighting with the
> >doctors about it) has been harder for me than being sick myself.

> Tell me about it! My daughter had things wrong with her that weren't
> diagnosed until she hit her 20s. Her pediatritian just blew a lot of
> her ailments off. And he was a highly respected doctor. Very
> frustrating for the mom and the kid. I'm glad he's showing
> improvement.

Thanks. I just think it's ridiculous that they have to be on death's
door before the docs will prescribe an antibiotic. I think if a 2 year
old has been sick *8* weeks, something needs to be done other than just
tell me "it's a virus". They finally gave him some Amoxi and lo and
behold - he's getting better. Only took me 4 straight nights of him
having 102 fevers to convince them (two different doctors).

> >Thanks for asking. It's been a rough 3+ weeks!

> That long? That's terrible. With your permission, I'd like to pray
> for the two of you. Please let me know.
>
> Feel-better hugs,
> Carol

Thank you, Carol. I am not a particularly religious person, but an
spiritual and welcome any prayers you have. I do believe in the
collective power of healing and postivie thought.

Thanks again for your kind thoughts and prayers,
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Apr 2006 17:24:50 -0700, "-L." > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>> That must have bee frightening beyond belief! I'm glad you made it.
>> I'm so sorry to hear about your lungs - I have cought-variant asthma,
>> so I can empathize a *little*. Sounds like you get a lot worse than I
>> do, though.

>I have cough-variant asthma too - post-drowning. Took the docs 9 mos
>to properly diagnose it. So many doctors don't even know what it is.

I totally agree. I also have cough variant asthma, which confused
doctors for so long. I don't wheeze, except when I am on death's door,
but I have a wheezy cough. And when my asthma is acting up (like
now) I cough a lot.
Anyone know how to get cigarette odor out of furniture and the carpet?
I just moved into a new apartment, and the place has a faint reek of
cigarettes. It is activating my asthma. My company is changing out
the sofa and chair tomorrow, but I am not sure if it is in the carpet
as well.....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 17 Apr 2006 08:06:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Christine
Dabney?

> On 17 Apr 2006 17:24:50 -0700, "-L." > wrote:
>

>>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>>
>>> That must have bee frightening beyond belief! I'm glad you made it.
>>> I'm so sorry to hear about your lungs - I have cought-variant asthma,
>>> so I can empathize a *little*. Sounds like you get a lot worse than
>>> I do, though.

>>I have cough-variant asthma too - post-drowning. Took the docs 9 mos
>>to properly diagnose it. So many doctors don't even know what it is.

> I totally agree. I also have cough variant asthma, which confused
> doctors for so long. I don't wheeze, except when I am on death's door,
> but I have a wheezy cough. And when my asthma is acting up (like
> now) I cough a lot.
> Anyone know how to get cigarette odor out of furniture and the carpet?
> I just moved into a new apartment, and the place has a faint reek of
> cigarettes. It is activating my asthma. My company is changing out
> the sofa and chair tomorrow, but I am not sure if it is in the carpet
> as well.....
>
> Christine

You may have to call a company like ServiceMaster that specializes in smoke
removal.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 17 Apr 2006 08:06:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Christine
Dabney?

> cough-variant asthma

Christine... How does one recognize this?

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 17 Apr 2006 08:06:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Christine
> Dabney?
>
> > cough-variant asthma

> Christine... How does one recognize this?

I'm not Christine, but basically you cough as your only symptom (or
nearly only symptom). Your lungs can inhale the air but have trouble
expelling it, so you cough...and cough...and cough...to try to expell
the air. It is often misdiagnosed as bronchitis or URI (viral) and
doctors don't know that what they are looking at is asthma.

For me, I get triggered by normal "asthma" triggers - smoke, perfumes,
hot or cold air, etc. Then I cough my head off until I can do a couple
of puffs of albuterol. I also am on Advair prophylactically during
cold season. When under the spell, I wheeze at night but not the
gasping wheeze of a normal asthmatic - it's more like a whistle. I
also am short of breath and tight at times, but not normally - normally
I just cough. My spirometry tests show almost normal patterns, but
trouble expelling air, especially at the end.

When I had my fist extended bout with it, the only thing that
eventually cured me was nebulized lidocaine, 10 minutes, 4 times
daily. Numbing the airway caused the coughing to cease, and the
inflammation eventually subsided. It took 6 weeks or so for it to
resolve competely. That's a treatment I never want to do again.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 17 Apr 2006 10:01:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Mon 17 Apr 2006 08:06:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Christine Dabney?
>>
>> > cough-variant asthma

>> Christine... How does one recognize this?

> I'm not Christine, but basically you cough as your only symptom (or
> nearly only symptom). Your lungs can inhale the air but have trouble
> expelling it, so you cough...and cough...and cough...to try to expell
> the air. It is often misdiagnosed as bronchitis or URI (viral) and
> doctors don't know that what they are looking at is asthma.
>
> For me, I get triggered by normal "asthma" triggers - smoke, perfumes,
> hot or cold air, etc. Then I cough my head off until I can do a couple
> of puffs of albuterol. I also am on Advair prophylactically during
> cold season. When under the spell, I wheeze at night but not the
> gasping wheeze of a normal asthmatic - it's more like a whistle. I
> also am short of breath and tight at times, but not normally - normally
> I just cough. My spirometry tests show almost normal patterns, but
> trouble expelling air, especially at the end.
>
> When I had my fist extended bout with it, the only thing that
> eventually cured me was nebulized lidocaine, 10 minutes, 4 times
> daily. Numbing the airway caused the coughing to cease, and the
> inflammation eventually subsided. It took 6 weeks or so for it to
> resolve competely. That's a treatment I never want to do again.

Thanks for the explanation. I asked because I have wondered if I have a
"mild" case of it. (That is, if one can have a "mild" case of it.) My
symtoms sound familiar but not as severe. I've not been tested, and I've
never had regular asthma. I know to the extent that I *may* have this
that it's really an awful condition. I can't imagine how a case as bad as
yours must feel.

I do hope you're feeling much better very soon.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 17 Apr 2006 11:23:03p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the explanation. I asked because I have wondered if I have
>> a "mild" case of it. (That is, if one can have a "mild" case of it.)

> I think you can. Mine "comes and goes" to varying degrees throughout
> the year.

Hmm... Then it may be so.

>> My
>> symtoms sound familiar but not as severe. I've not been tested, and
>> I've never had regular asthma. I know to the extent that I *may* have
>> this that it's really an awful condition. I can't imagine how a case
>> as bad as yours must feel.
>>
>> I do hope you're feeling much better very soon.

> Thanks, Wayne. Ask your doc about it. It never hurts to try an
> albuterol inhaler to see if you get symptomatic releif (assuming you
> can tolerate albuterol).

Thanks, again, Lyn. I should probably have it looked into the next time
it occurs. I think I'll pick up an inhaler to have on hand.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Mon 17 Apr 2006 10:01:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?
>

>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Mon 17 Apr 2006 08:06:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>>> Christine Dabney?

>>> Christine... How does one recognize this?

>> I'm not Christine, but basically you cough as your only symptom (or
>> nearly only symptom). Your lungs can inhale the air but have trouble
>> expelling it, so you cough...and cough...and cough...to try to expell
>> the air. It is often misdiagnosed as bronchitis or URI (viral) and
>> doctors don't know that what they are looking at is asthma.
>>
>> For me, I get triggered by normal "asthma" triggers - smoke, perfumes,
>> hot or cold air, etc. Then I cough my head off until I can do a couple
>> of puffs of albuterol. I also am on Advair prophylactically during
>> cold season. When under the spell, I wheeze at night but not the
>> gasping wheeze of a normal asthmatic - it's more like a whistle. I
>> also am short of breath and tight at times, but not normally - normally
>> I just cough. My spirometry tests show almost normal patterns, but
>> trouble expelling air, especially at the end.

Same here for me -- however, unbelievably, albuterol makes it even worse; my
body must think of it as smoke, perfume, hot and cold air, because it
triggers it under testing.

Are you saying that "cough-variant asthma" is the term for "trouble
expelling air"? If so, I will have to remember that so as be more
knowledgeable about this condition.
Thanks for taking the time to explain.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> Same here for me -- however, unbelievably, albuterol makes it even worse; my
> body must think of it as smoke, perfume, hot and cold air, because it
> triggers it under testing.

Pure albuterol, or certain inhalers? The reason I ask is because some
formulations of albuterol make me worse - Proventil HFA is the best as
the carrier is less irritating than others. "Generic" albuterol was the
worst for me.

> Are you saying that "cough-variant asthma" is the term for "trouble
> expelling air"?

Not exactly, but that's why you cough. You cannot get the "used" air
out of your lungs.

> If so, I will have to remember that so as be more
> knowledgeable about this condition.
> Thanks for taking the time to explain.

It's sort of a condition that most doctors don't know to diagnose or
treat so it can be difficult to get resolved.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks, Barb, for posting the photos again. They're even more beautiful
than I remembered.

Gratefully,
Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 17 Apr 2006 07:43:03a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
Jammin'?

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> In article . com>,
>> "nancree" > wrote:
>>
>> > Maybe BARB would treat us to another look at her fabulous Easter
>> > Eggs--Are you watching, Barb??
>> >
>> > Pretty Please,
>> >
>> > Nancree

>> LOL. I've got one pic on my website - Church story #13, I think it is.

> And I just posted another note with several other pics.
> Note to Sarah: My talents unbounded? Hah. I'm a crappy housekeeper.
> I want everything within reach, so I don't put stuff away and I've got
> too much stuff to start with besides! Light a candle. Maybe a torch.
> To a stick of dynomite. Ugh!

Barb, you must have the patience of Job to do those eggs. They are
beautiful.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Apr 2006 08:53:18 -0700, "-L." > wrote:

>Dee Randall wrote:
>>
>> Are you saying that "cough-variant asthma" is the term for "trouble
>> expelling air"?

>Not exactly, but that's why you cough. You cannot get the "used" air
>out of your lungs.
>
>> If so, I will have to remember that so as be more
>> knowledgeable about this condition.
>> Thanks for taking the time to explain.

>It's sort of a condition that most doctors don't know to diagnose or
>treat so it can be difficult to get resolved.

I went in and told my doctor that I had a cough that just wouldn' t go
away. She looked me dead in the eye and said one word. "Asthma."
She was right. The inhalers worked, at least for a time. Now, all
they do is make me light-headed.

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"nancree" > wrote:

> Thanks, Barb, for posting the photos again. They're even more beautiful
> than I remembered.
>
> Gratefully,
> Nancree

That's because these are just made this year. :-)
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-17-2006 with Easter stuffs.