Old 17-04-2006, 05:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default natural-dyed Easter eggs

So Carin made some really cool eggs today. It's the only part of
Easter she cares about, so we bought her a bunch of eggs and some
stuff to dye them with: beets, red cabbage, yellow onions, red
onions, and blueberries. She had fun doing it, and we like the
Victorian-simplicity look that came out. She may still paint them or
something.

And tomorrow, we're obviously having egg salad, and I think I'll
google that creamed-eggs-on-toast thing we talked about last Easter.

http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/0003syd5/

serene

Old 17-04-2006, 06:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 16 Apr 2006 09:48:42p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Serene?

http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/0003syd5/

They're lovely! I always wanted to do that.

--
Wayne Boatwright @@
_____________________
Old 17-04-2006, 06:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Very nice. I did this one year after seeing my Mediterranean relatives'
efforts back in the ancestral village. They got a cool marbled effect
by wrapping the eggs in onion skins - stunning terracotta and orange
striations. I duplicated the effect by cutting up pantyhose and
rubberbanding it around the onionskin/egg concoction.

No pantyhose in the house so I didn't do it this year, but perhaps
next?

Leila

Old 17-04-2006, 06:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Maybe BARB would treat us to another look at her fabulous Easter
Eggs--Are you watching, Barb??

Pretty Please,

Nancree

Old 17-04-2006, 07:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
So Carin made some really cool eggs today. It's the only part of
Easter she cares about, so we bought her a bunch of eggs and some
stuff to dye them with: beets, red cabbage, yellow onions, red
onions, and blueberries. She had fun doing it, and we like the
Victorian-simplicity look that came out. She may still paint them or
something.

And tomorrow, we're obviously having egg salad, and I think I'll
google that creamed-eggs-on-toast thing we talked about last Easter.

http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/0003syd5/

serene

I love them! Very pretty!
I have done that for a number of years. This year I didn't dye any -
too sick to feel up to it.
-L.

Old 17-04-2006, 02:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
So Carin made some really cool eggs today. It's the only part of
Easter she cares about, so we bought her a bunch of eggs and some
stuff to dye them with: beets, red cabbage, yellow onions, red
onions, and blueberries.

http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/0003syd5/

Neato!

Do some with carrots, and some with spinach.

Sheldon

Old 17-04-2006, 02:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"nancree" wrote:

Maybe BARB would treat us to another look at her fabulous Easter
Eggs--Are you watching, Barb??

Pretty Please,

Nancree

LOL. I've got one pic on my website - Church story #13, I think it is.

--
-Barb
http://jamlady.eboard.com Updated 4-16-06, Church review #14

Old 17-04-2006, 03:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article . com,
"nancree" wrote:

Maybe BARB would treat us to another look at her fabulous Easter
Eggs--Are you watching, Barb??

Pretty Please,

Nancree

LOL. I've got one pic on my website - Church story #13, I think it is.

And I just posted another note with several other pics.
Note to Sarah: My talents unbounded? Hah. I'm a crappy housekeeper.
I want everything within reach, so I don't put stuff away and I've got
too much stuff to start with besides! Light a candle. Maybe a torch.
To a stick of dynomite. Ugh!

Old 17-04-2006, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
On 16 Apr 2006 23:07:03 -0700, "-L." wrote:

I love them! Very pretty!
I have done that for a number of years. This year I didn't dye any -
too sick to feel up to it.

Are you feeling *any* better? I've been fretting about you.

Carol

Thanks, Carol. Yes, I am improving. I get hit hard with any cold -
goes in to asthma and then bronchitis - sometimes pneumonia. This all
started after a near-drowning incident in the Carribean in '96 - prior
to that I was healthy as a horse, but that incident screwed my lungs up
royally. That's why I get so damn made when I see snotty people
spreading germs in public.

The worst part is my little guy has been sick too - pretty much off and
on since the end of January. He's seemed to have finally turned the
corner, but as a first-time Mom seeing him sick (and fighting with the
doctors about it) has been harder for me than being sick myself.

Thanks for asking. It's been a rough 3+ weeks!

-L.

Old 17-04-2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article . com,
"nancree" wrote:

Maybe BARB would treat us to another look at her fabulous Easter
Eggs--Are you watching, Barb??

Pretty Please,

Nancree

LOL. I've got one pic on my website - Church story #13, I think it is.

And I just posted another note with several other pics.
Note to Sarah: My talents unbounded? Hah. I'm a crappy housekeeper.
I want everything within reach, so I don't put stuff away and I've got
too much stuff to start with besides! Light a candle. Maybe a torch.
To a stick of dynomite. Ugh!
--
-Barb
http://jamlady.eboard.com Updated 4-16-06, Church review #14

Oooooooo, ahhhhhhh, oh wow!! Those are just simply gorgeous!!

Ms P

Old 17-04-2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Apr 2006 09:52:53 -0700, "-L." wrote:

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

Are you feeling *any* better? I've been fretting about you.

Thanks, Carol. Yes, I am improving. I get hit hard with any cold -
goes in to asthma and then bronchitis - sometimes pneumonia. This all
started after a near-drowning incident in the Carribean in '96 - prior
to that I was healthy as a horse, but that incident screwed my lungs up
royally. That's why I get so damn made when I see snotty people
spreading germs in public.

That must have bee frightening beyond belief! I'm glad you made it.
I'm so sorry to hear about your lungs - I have cought-variant asthma,
so I can empathize a *little*. Sounds like you get a lot worse than I
do, though.

The worst part is my little guy has been sick too - pretty much off and
on since the end of January. He's seemed to have finally turned the
corner, but as a first-time Mom seeing him sick (and fighting with the
doctors about it) has been harder for me than being sick myself.

Tell me about it! My daughter had things wrong with her that weren't
diagnosed until she hit her 20s. Her pediatritian just blew a lot of
her ailments off. And he was a highly respected doctor. Very
frustrating for the mom and the kid. I'm glad he's showing
improvement.

Thanks for asking. It's been a rough 3+ weeks!

That long? That's terrible. With your permission, I'd like to pray
for the two of you. Please let me know.

Feel-better hugs,
Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
Old 18-04-2006, 01:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

That must have bee frightening beyond belief! I'm glad you made it.
I'm so sorry to hear about your lungs - I have cought-variant asthma,
so I can empathize a *little*. Sounds like you get a lot worse than I
do, though.

I have cough-variant asthma too - post-drowning. Took the docs 9 mos
to properly diagnose it. So many doctors don't even know what it is.

The worst part is my little guy has been sick too - pretty much off and
on since the end of January. He's seemed to have finally turned the
corner, but as a first-time Mom seeing him sick (and fighting with the
doctors about it) has been harder for me than being sick myself.

Tell me about it! My daughter had things wrong with her that weren't
diagnosed until she hit her 20s. Her pediatritian just blew a lot of
her ailments off. And he was a highly respected doctor. Very
frustrating for the mom and the kid. I'm glad he's showing
improvement.

Thanks. I just think it's ridiculous that they have to be on death's
door before the docs will prescribe an antibiotic. I think if a 2 year
old has been sick *8* weeks, something needs to be done other than just
tell me "it's a virus". They finally gave him some Amoxi and lo and
behold - he's getting better. Only took me 4 straight nights of him
having 102 fevers to convince them (two different doctors).

Thanks for asking. It's been a rough 3+ weeks!

That long? That's terrible. With your permission, I'd like to pray
for the two of you. Please let me know.

Feel-better hugs,
Carol

Thank you, Carol. I am not a particularly religious person, but an
spiritual and welcome any prayers you have. I do believe in the
collective power of healing and postivie thought.

Thanks again for your kind thoughts and prayers,
-L.

Old 18-04-2006, 04:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Apr 2006 17:24:50 -0700, "-L." wrote:

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

That must have bee frightening beyond belief! I'm glad you made it.
I'm so sorry to hear about your lungs - I have cought-variant asthma,
so I can empathize a *little*. Sounds like you get a lot worse than I
do, though.

I have cough-variant asthma too - post-drowning. Took the docs 9 mos
to properly diagnose it. So many doctors don't even know what it is.

I totally agree. I also have cough variant asthma, which confused
doctors for so long. I don't wheeze, except when I am on death's door,
but I have a wheezy cough. And when my asthma is acting up (like
now) I cough a lot.
Anyone know how to get cigarette odor out of furniture and the carpet?
I just moved into a new apartment, and the place has a faint reek of
cigarettes. It is activating my asthma. My company is changing out
the sofa and chair tomorrow, but I am not sure if it is in the carpet
as well.....

Christine
Old 18-04-2006, 04:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 17 Apr 2006 08:06:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Christine
Dabney?

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

[...]

You may have to call a company like ServiceMaster that specializes in smoke
removal.

--
Wayne Boatwright @@
Old 18-04-2006, 04:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 17 Apr 2006 08:06:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Christine
Dabney?

cough-variant asthma

Christine... How does one recognize this?

--
Wayne Boatwright @@