Posted to rec.food.cooking
Helen of Joy

Default ALMONDS - to skin or not to skin (that is the question)

I have receipe that says I should skin almonds before roasting them in
melted butter and soy sauce. Will they be just as nice if I DON'T skin
them? Will the butter/soy mixture adhere to the nuts properly?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Helen of Joy wrote:
> I have receipe that says I should skin almonds before roasting them in
> melted butter and soy sauce. Will they be just as nice if I DON'T
> skin them? Will the butter/soy mixture adhere to the nuts properly?

Question: Why on earth would you skin almonds? If you really want to, go
for it. But otherwise, NO, don't bother.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Helen of Joy

There are MANY recipes that called for skinned (or blanched) almonds...
and this recipe specifies that they be skinned. So I was just
wondering what would happen if I didn't!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Spitzmaus

Helen of Joy wrote:

> There are MANY recipes that called for skinned (or blanched) almonds...
> and this recipe specifies that they be skinned. So I was just
> wondering what would happen if I didn't!

Nothing will "happen" if you leave those almonds as is, Helen; in fact,
you'll probably end up with a tastier dish. Not to mention the extra fiber!

Unless you're really going for a pale presentation, don't bother to
peel/skin the nuts. I've used nothing but whole natural almonds for years.

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"Helen of Joy" > wrote:

> I have receipe that says I should skin almonds before roasting them in
> melted butter and soy sauce. Will they be just as nice if I DON'T skin
> them? Will the butter/soy mixture adhere to the nuts properly?

Actually, I think the mixture might adhere evenbetter to the rough
surface rather than the smoother surface of the blanched and skinned nut.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Helen of Joy wrote:
> > I have receipe that says I should skin almonds before roasting them in
> > melted butter and soy sauce. Will they be just as nice if I DON'T
> > skin them? Will the butter/soy mixture adhere to the nuts properly?

> Question: Why on earth would you skin almonds? If you really want to, go
> for it. But otherwise, NO, don't bother.
>
> Jill

In this instance, I don't think it matters, but if you were to grind the
almonds, I expect the skin would darken the almond meal. That might not
be part of the desired look of the finished product.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Helen of Joy wrote:
> I have receipe that says I should skin almonds before roasting them in
> melted butter and soy sauce. Will they be just as nice if I DON'T skin
> them? Will the butter/soy mixture adhere to the nuts properly?

They are much more pleasant to eat when they are skinned.

It's not that much work. Dump them in a pot of boiling water for a few
minutes until the skin comes off of one easily. Drain, place in cold
water to stop the cooking. Drain well, pinch to slip the skins off.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
TammyM

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 04:13:25 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Helen of Joy wrote:
>> I have receipe that says I should skin almonds before roasting them in
>> melted butter and soy sauce. Will they be just as nice if I DON'T skin
>> them? Will the butter/soy mixture adhere to the nuts properly?
>>

>They are much more pleasant to eat when they are skinned.
>
>It's not that much work. Dump them in a pot of boiling water for a few
>minutes until the skin comes off of one easily. Drain, place in cold
>water to stop the cooking. Drain well, pinch to slip the skins off.

This task is especially jolly if you make the appropriate sound effect
whilst pufffting the skins off. Don't ask me how I know this.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Spitzmaus

Puester wrote:

> They are much more pleasant to eat when they are skinned.
>
> It's not that much work. Dump them in a pot of boiling water for a few
> minutes until the skin comes off of one easily. Drain, place in cold
> water to stop the cooking. Drain well, pinch to slip the skins off.
>
> gloria p

And I think just the opposite: skinned almonds taste "processed" to me, too
bland, not enough character. When I make almond meal, I leave the skins on,
although as Melba's Jammin' said, it does impact the look of the finished
product. But I love the fuller, nuttier taste.

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Spitzmaus wrote:
> Puester wrote:
>

>>They are much more pleasant to eat when they are skinned.
>>
>>It's not that much work. Dump them in a pot of boiling water for a few
>>minutes until the skin comes off of one easily. Drain, place in cold
>>water to stop the cooking. Drain well, pinch to slip the skins off.
>>
>>gloria p

> And I think just the opposite: skinned almonds taste "processed" to me, too
> bland, not enough character. When I make almond meal, I leave the skins on,
> although as Melba's Jammin' said, it does impact the look of the finished
> product. But I love the fuller, nuttier taste.
>
> Spitz

Each to his own taste. Almonds with the skin on have a strange flavor
and mouthfeel to me, bitter and papery. Chestnuts, too.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> It's not that much work. Dump them in a pot of boiling water for a few
> minutes until the skin comes off of one easily. Drain, place in cold
> water to stop the cooking. Drain well, pinch to slip the skins off.

This was my job as a kid. It takes a _LOT_ of almonds to make
baqlawa. It is so worth it to pay the extra dollar or two a pound to
buy them skinned already.

Regards,
Ranee (who remembers how her fingers would get rubbed raw from all
that pinching)

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Helen of Joy wrote:
> I have receipe that says I should skin almonds before roasting them in
> melted butter and soy sauce. Will they be just as nice if I DON'T skin
> them? Will the butter/soy mixture adhere to the nuts properly?

The problem is not the recipe it's the purchase. Buy skinned almonds
for use in recipes that want them, buy unskinned almonds when that's
what you want. No problem, no work. -aem