Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kraft to cut salt in its foods

J. Clarke wrote:

> Have you ever tasted potassium chloride? It doesn't taste particularly
> salty, more like sawdust actually.

It's marketed as Salt Substitute by several companies. It has a slight
after-taste but is otherwise quite salty so my experience and he
experience of those in my household differs greatly from yours.

Even better is Lite Salt that's a 50-50 mixture of potassium chloride
and sodium chloride marketed by several companines. While I've heard
folks claim they can tell it side by side I've seen what happens when
it's at the table without being labelled. Folks who claim to be able to
tell it from table salt can't when it's a blind test.

Never conduct such a blind test on anyone without knowing their medical
details as some blood pressure medications are the potasium channel
type that causes the body to hoard potasium that can cause a fatal
overdose. While the human body is evolved to eject large quantities of
sodium through the kidneys potasium is handled by osmosis to balance
its levels with sodium.