Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kraft to cut salt in its foods

Stu wrote:
> PORTLAND, Ore. — Kraft Foods Inc. said today that it will cut the salt
> in its products that are sold in North America by an average of 10
> percent over the next two years to appeal to health-conscious
> consumers.
>
> The changes at Kraft, the largest U.S. food maker, will affect more
> than 1,000 products...

snip....
> Among other companies aiming to cut sodium is ConAgra Foods Inc., the
> maker of Chef Boyardee and Hebrew National. ConAgra announced in
> October that it would will cut sodium 20 percent in the next five
> years.
>
> Campbell Soup Co. has cut the sodium in more than 100 of its products
> — including V8 juices, Prego sauces, Pepperidge Farm breads and some
> of its namesake soups — by 25 percent to 50 percent over the past four
> years. Campbell announced in December that it would cut the sodium in
> its SpaghettiOs canned pasta by up to 35 percent
>
> Associated Press March 17, 2010

Stu, I have been reducing my salt intake, so this is wonderful news.
Salt can be added, but you can not remove it. I bought potato chips last
week and they are too salty.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 18, 12:49*pm, Becca > wrote:
> Stu wrote:
> > PORTLAND, Ore. Kraft Foods Inc. said today that it will cut the salt
> > in its products that are sold in North America by an average of 10
> > percent over the next two years to appeal to health-conscious
> > consumers.

> > The changes at Kraft, the largest U.S. food maker, will affect more
> > than 1,000 products...

> snip....
> > Among other companies aiming to cut sodium is ConAgra Foods Inc., the
> > maker of Chef Boyardee and Hebrew National. ConAgra announced in
> > October that it would will cut sodium 20 percent in the next five
> > years.

> > Campbell Soup Co. has cut the sodium in more than 100 of its products
> > including V8 juices, Prego sauces, Pepperidge Farm breads and some
> > of its namesake soups by 25 percent to 50 percent over the past four
> > years. Campbell announced in December that it would cut the sodium in
> > its SpaghettiOs canned pasta by up to 35 percent

> > Associated Press *March 17, 2010

> Stu, I have been reducing my salt intake, so this is wonderful news.
> Salt can be added, but you can not remove it. I bought potato chips last
> week and they are too salty.
>
> Becca- Hide quoted text -

I wonder how much a company can reduce the sodium before the taste of
the item is affected? I'lll bet it's more than we think.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Mar 18, 12:49 pm, Becca > wrote:
> Stu wrote:
> > PORTLAND, Ore. Kraft Foods Inc. said today that it will cut the salt
> > in its products that are sold in North America by an average of 10
> > percent over the next two years to appeal to health-conscious
> > consumers.

> > The changes at Kraft, the largest U.S. food maker, will affect more
> > than 1,000 products...

> snip....
> > Among other companies aiming to cut sodium is ConAgra Foods Inc., the
> > maker of Chef Boyardee and Hebrew National. ConAgra announced in
> > October that it would will cut sodium 20 percent in the next five
> > years.

> > Campbell Soup Co. has cut the sodium in more than 100 of its products
> > including V8 juices, Prego sauces, Pepperidge Farm breads and some
> > of its namesake soups by 25 percent to 50 percent over the past four
> > years. Campbell announced in December that it would cut the sodium in
> > its SpaghettiOs canned pasta by up to 35 percent

> > Associated Press March 17, 2010

> Stu, I have been reducing my salt intake, so this is wonderful news.
> Salt can be added, but you can not remove it. I bought potato chips last
> week and they are too salty.
>
> Becca- Hide quoted text -

I wonder how much a company can reduce the sodium before the taste of
the item is affected? I'lll bet it's more than we think.

If you read the article, you'll find that many companies have already been
lowering the salt but don't say anything. If they say something, public
opinion says the product must taste bad. If they say nothing, sales go on
as before.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> I wonder how much a company can reduce the sodium before the taste of
> the item is affected? I'lll bet it's more than we think.

It might become a food safety issue if they
cut too much. Processed foods must have
a very long shelf life, and salt helps
with that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:49:33 -0700 (PDT) in rec.food.cooking,
ImStillMags > wrote,

>I wonder how much a company can reduce the sodium before the taste of
>the item is affected? I'lll bet it's more than we think.

The taste of most Kraft products would be IMPROVED by less salt, so
that's not the problem. I can't figure what salt does for them that
makes it so difficult for them to get rid of. I guess they rely on it
as a preservative.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:03:15 -0700, David Harmon >
wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:49:33 -0700 (PDT) in rec.food.cooking,
> ImStillMags > wrote,
> >
> >I wonder how much a company can reduce the sodium before the taste of
> >the item is affected? I'lll bet it's more than we think.

> The taste of most Kraft products would be IMPROVED by less salt, so
> that's not the problem. I can't figure what salt does for them that
> makes it so difficult for them to get rid of. I guess they rely on it
> as a preservative.

It's cheap and they can skimp on real flavorings if they overdo salt.

--
http://picasaweb.google.com/sf.usenet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>
>> I wonder how much a company can reduce the sodium before the taste of
>> the item is affected? I'lll bet it's more than we think.
>>

> It might become a food safety issue if they
> cut too much. Processed foods must have
> a very long shelf life, and salt helps
> with that.

My oldest son worked on finding a preservative for large bags of Frito's
so they would keep fresh longer. The small bags have corn, oil and salt
as ingredients, there are no added preservatives, other than the salt.
The large bags have the same ingredients, but they are not single-use
servings, so people keep them longer. I will have to ask what they did,
if anything.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:24:11 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>Mark Thorson wrote:
>> ImStillMags wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder how much a company can reduce the sodium before the taste of
>>> the item is affected? I'lll bet it's more than we think.
>>>

>> It might become a food safety issue if they
>> cut too much. Processed foods must have
>> a very long shelf life, and salt helps
>> with that.

>My oldest son worked on finding a preservative for large bags of Frito's
>so they would keep fresh longer. The small bags have corn, oil and salt
>as ingredients, there are no added preservatives, other than the salt.
>The large bags have the same ingredients, but they are not single-use
>servings, so people keep them longer. I will have to ask what they did,
>if anything.

People who buy chips in larger bags eat larger servings... bet ya
can't eat just one. All prepared foods contain added salt... if you
buy canned/jarred soups/sauces they will probably contain more salt
than if you made your own. But even when you make your own you will
add substantial salt or why bother... soup without salt is pretty
unsatisfying, most folks won't eat it... it's like does anyone
actually eat fat free cheese? blech. It's easy to cut back on salt,
eat more fresh fruit and raw vegetables. I think this salt issue is a
lot of crap, there are always alarmists seeking issues, remember the
butter police, now it's the salt police. Unless your doctor informs
you that you have a condition where cutting back on salt is indicated
you will harm yourself more from worry about salt than if you simply
consume salt sensibly... eating pizza, chips, and tube steak
practically every day is not wise on many levels, not just salt.
Remember, the healthy human body is remarkable at regulating itself,
excess salt is eliminated quickly, provided one engages in moderate
exercise and is sufficiently hydrated with plain water. If you sit at
a pc 8 hours a day while sucking down soda and think a 1 pound bag of
potato chips is your 5-a-Day of fresh produce then sooner rather than
later you will be in trouble. You really cannot overdose on fresh
produce, and there are many ways to dress a salad without briney
dressings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 17:04:08 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, sf
> wrote,
>On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:03:15 -0700, David Harmon >
>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:49:33 -0700 (PDT) in rec.food.cooking,
>> ImStillMags > wrote,
>> >
>> >I wonder how much a company can reduce the sodium before the taste of
>> >the item is affected? I'lll bet it's more than we think.

>> The taste of most Kraft products would be IMPROVED by less salt, so
>> that's not the problem. I can't figure what salt does for them that
>> makes it so difficult for them to get rid of. I guess they rely on it
>> as a preservative.
>>

>It's cheap and they can skimp on real flavorings if they overdo salt.

{Smacking head} Yeah, I guess that one should have pretty obvious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Janet Bostwick" > posted on
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:22:30 -0600 the following:

> I wonder how much a company can reduce the sodium before the taste of
> the item is affected? I'lll bet it's more than we think.
>
> If you read the article, you'll find that many companies have already been
> lowering the salt but don't say anything. If they say something, public
> opinion says the product must taste bad. If they say nothing, sales go on
> as before.

I don't mind them removing salt. I just don't want them to replace salt
with something strange that tastes similar to salt, just to preserve its
flavor. I'd rather get something with no salt at all in it, and no
potassium chloride, either, then add my own when I cook it or heat it up.

Damaeus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Becca > posted on Thu, 18 Mar
2010 19:24:11 -0500 the following:

> My oldest son worked on finding a preservative for large bags of Frito's
> so they would keep fresh longer. The small bags have corn, oil and salt
> as ingredients, there are no added preservatives, other than the salt.
> The large bags have the same ingredients, but they are not single-use
> servings, so people keep them longer. I will have to ask what they did,
> if anything.

My favorite tortilla chips, El Milagro Mexican Kitchen Style chips, have
no salt on them, and they are delicious with or without dip, far better
than any other corn chip, salted or unsalted. They do seem to go stale a
little faster than some other brands of chips, but sometimes I think
that's because of the rather thin plastic bag they come in. But it's
really no problem. The staleness is only because the chips have absorbed
some atmospheric moisture. When I put the chips in the oven for a few
minutes, all the moisture is removed, and they're crispier than they were
when I first bought them.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2010 2:47 AM, Damaeus wrote:
> In news:rec.food.cooking, "Janet > posted on
> Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:22:30 -0600 the following:
>
>> I wonder how much a company can reduce the sodium before the taste of
>> the item is affected? I'lll bet it's more than we think.
>>
>> If you read the article, you'll find that many companies have already been
>> lowering the salt but don't say anything. If they say something, public
>> opinion says the product must taste bad. If they say nothing, sales go on
>> as before.

> I don't mind them removing salt. I just don't want them to replace salt
> with something strange that tastes similar to salt, just to preserve its
> flavor. I'd rather get something with no salt at all in it, and no
> potassium chloride, either, then add my own when I cook it or heat it up.

Potassium chloride doesn't taste much like salt anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "J. Clarke" > posted on
Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:49:13 -0400 the following:

> On 3/19/2010 2:47 AM, Damaeus wrote:
>
> > I don't mind them removing salt. I just don't want them to replace salt
> > with something strange that tastes similar to salt, just to preserve its
> > flavor. I'd rather get something with no salt at all in it, and no
> > potassium chloride, either, then add my own when I cook it or heat it up.

> Potassium chloride doesn't taste much like salt anyway.

Well, like some drink companies are deluded into thinking consumers of
their sodas can't tell the difference between aspartame and corn syrup,
these "no salt" producers of potassium chloride seem to think we can't
tell the difference between palt and salt.

Damaeus