Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kraft to cut salt in its foods

On 2010-03-18, Steve B > wrote:

> Another thing is the serving size. I just bought a jar of large pimento
> stuffed green olives. A serving has 7% of the RDA. Guess what one serving
> is: one olive. It helps to read the label.

You actually need to read the label of pimento olives to know they are
very salty?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Every time I buy olives, I run several changes
> of water through the can over a period of maybe
> an hour to lower the salt content.

Why are you buying them in cans? I never used to like olives, but that
was back int he days when they were available only in cans and bottles.
I always by olives from an olive bar. They are so much better than
canned olives that they are not even the same product.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2010-03-18, Steve B > wrote:
>
> > Another thing is the serving size. I just bought a jar of large pimento
> > stuffed green olives. A serving has 7% of the RDA. Guess what one serving
> > is: one olive. It helps to read the label.

> You actually need to read the label of pimento olives to know they are
> very salty?

Every time I buy olives, I run several changes
of water through the can over a period of maybe
an hour to lower the salt content.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> >
> > Every time I buy olives, I run several changes
> > of water through the can over a period of maybe
> > an hour to lower the salt content.

> Why are you buying them in cans? I never used to like olives, but that
> was back int he days when they were available only in cans and bottles.
> I always by olives from an olive bar. They are so much better than
> canned olives that they are not even the same product.

It's true that the French salt-cured olives I can
buy at Whole Foods are a completely different thing.
And you can learn to recognize the really good ones,
which are more delicate, and only pick out those ones
when buying from their olive bar. They are very
salty, but I'd never soak them.

But the canned are a very convenient component of
salads and wraps. I don't go to Whole Foods every
day, and when I do, I usually don't buy olives.

You didn't like olives until you had them from an
olive bar. I've always liked olives, even from cans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> It's true that the French salt-cured olives I can
> buy at Whole Foods are a completely different thing.
> And you can learn to recognize the really good ones,
> which are more delicate, and only pick out those ones
> when buying from their olive bar. They are very
> salty, but I'd never soak them.
>
> But the canned are a very convenient component of
> salads and wraps. I don't go to Whole Foods every
> day, and when I do, I usually don't buy olives.
>
> You didn't like olives until you had them from an
> olive bar. I've always liked olives, even from cans.

Not exactly. For a long time olives never appealed to me. I probably
never tried one. One day in my mid 20s <?> I had the munchies and tried
one and decided they weren't so bad. Then I discovered that the olives
sold at a local deli were incredible. I got hooked on them and have been
buying and eating them ever since, but I buy them only at olive bars or
in delis. I never buy canned or bottled olives. They are IMO a very poor
substitute.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Mark Thorson > posted on Thu,
18 Mar 2010 16:51:03 -0800 the following:

> It's true that the French salt-cured olives I can buy at Whole Foods are
> a completely different thing. And you can learn to recognize the really
> good ones, which are more delicate, and only pick out those ones when
> buying from their olive bar. They are very salty, but I'd never soak
> them.

But don't olives taste rather bitter if they haven't been salted to Hell
and back?

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, Mark Thorson > posted on Thu,
> 18 Mar 2010 16:51:03 -0800 the following:
>
> > It's true that the French salt-cured olives I can buy at Whole Foods are
> > a completely different thing. And you can learn to recognize the really
> > good ones, which are more delicate, and only pick out those ones when
> > buying from their olive bar. They are very salty, but I'd never soak
> > them.

> But don't olives taste rather bitter if they haven't been salted to Hell
> and back?

Olives are naturally very bitter, and the purpose
of curing them is to remove that bitterness.

A favorite trick of olive farmers is to show
visitors the olive trees laden with dark, ripe
olives and invite them to try one. Invariably,
they have to spit it out because it is so
darn bitter, while the farmer is laughing his
ass off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Mark Thorson > posted on Fri,
19 Mar 2010 11:42:02 -0800 the following:

> Damaeus wrote:
>
> > But don't olives taste rather bitter if they haven't been salted to Hell
> > and back?

> Olives are naturally very bitter, and the purpose of curing them is to
> remove that bitterness.
>
> A favorite trick of olive farmers is to show visitors the olive trees
> laden with dark, ripe olives and invite them to try one. Invariably,
> they have to spit it out because it is so darn bitter, while the farmer
> is laughing his ass off.

Yes, knowing that, the farmer could never get me to bite into an uncured
olive. So then comes the question, if olives are so bitter, how can
anyone like them with if they aren't salty? I guess if you like the taste
of black coffee, you might be more inclined to be able to actually eat and
enjoy a raw, or uncured olive....and maybe some ear wax to dip it in,
which is also very bitter. ... heh. It was an accident that I found that
out, by the way. The Harry Potter jellybeans aren't quite right in that
regard.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Mark Thorson > posted on Fri,
19 Mar 2010 11:42:02 -0800 the following:

> Olives are naturally very bitter, and the purpose of curing them is to
> remove that bitterness.
>
> A favorite trick of olive farmers is to show visitors the olive trees
> laden with dark, ripe olives and invite them to try one. Invariably,
> they have to spit it out because it is so darn bitter, while the farmer
> is laughing his ass off.

I was once under the impression that olives were somehow naturally salty,
so if I could use olives in food instead of salting it, I would somehow be
getting the flavor of salt, without all the alleged dangers of eating too
much table salt. So that could be why the olive industry is so
successful. People might feel that they're eating "healthy salt" and
fulfill their need for salt with less guilt. The olive producers know
better than this, but they simply snicker and probably don't talk about it
that much by saying, "Oh, it's just normal salt in that olive. If it
wasn't that salty, it would taste like shit."

I actually do like black olives, but I can only eat one olive by itself if
all I'm going to do is eat an olive. I like them sliced on pizza and on
salads. That's pretty much it. I sometimes would put black olives on my
homemade pizzas to make them a little saltier without adding salt.
Actually salting pizza, especially after it's already baked, has always
made pizza taste very odd to me, so I never have salted pizza at the
table. If it needs salt, I find a way to work it in with the hamburger
meat, or by putting olives and/or feta cheese on it. A little feta goes a
long way on a pizza that has pepperoni on it.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus wrote:

> I actually do like black olives, but I can only eat one olive by itself if
> all I'm going to do is eat an olive. I like them sliced on pizza and on
> salads. That's pretty much it.

Canned ripe olives are nasty. The guys who get at an olive bar or deli
are much better.

I sometimes would put black olives on my
> homemade pizzas to make them a little saltier without adding salt.
> Actually salting pizza, especially after it's already baked, has always
> made pizza taste very odd to me, so I never have salted pizza at the
> table. If it needs salt, I find a way to work it in with the hamburger
> meat, or by putting olives and/or feta cheese on it. A little feta goes a
> long way on a pizza that has pepperoni on it.

I like pizza with ripe olives and feta, but I have only had them made
with canned olives. If I were to make one I would use better black olives.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus wrote:
> Mark Thorson > posted:
>
>> Olives are naturally very bitter, and the purpose of curing them is to
>> remove that bitterness.

It's a wonder they are considered edible given the treatment it takes to
make them edibile. I wonder if some trees grew near a tidal pond and
the olives that fell into the sea water cured enough to give someone the
idea.

> I actually do like black olives, but I can only eat one olive by itself if

I like black olives. I like green olives more. I like the various
fancy types of olives even more still. Small batch varietals from Santa
Barbara CA rule.

> all I'm going to do is eat an olive. I like them sliced on pizza and on
> salads. That's pretty much it. I sometimes would put black olives on my
> homemade pizzas to make them a little saltier without adding salt.

Green olives burn very easily, but since I like them I want them on my
pizza instead of black olives if possible. Very few places offer green
olives on pizza, maybe because of the burning problem maybe because they
are less popular than black ones. The prick is to put the "toppings"
underneath the cheese. Which both protects the green olives from
burning and makes the word "topping" a misnomer.

> Actually salting pizza, especially after it's already baked, has always
> made pizza taste very odd to me, so I never have salted pizza at the
> table. If it needs salt, I find a way to work it in with the hamburger
> meat, or by putting olives and/or feta cheese on it. A little feta goes a
> long way on a pizza that has pepperoni on it.

I like pepperoni and it's salty enough that I've never considered
salting a pizza. Dusting it with garlic powder, though ...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug wrote on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:36:47 +0000 (UTC):

> Damaeus wrote:
>> Mark Thorson > posted:
>>
>>> Olives are naturally very bitter, and the purpose of curing
>>> them is to remove that bitterness.

> It's a wonder they are considered edible given the treatment
> it takes to make them edibile. I wonder if some trees grew
> near a tidal pond and the olives that fell into the sea water
> cured enough to give someone the idea.

>> I actually do like black olives, but I can only eat one olive
>> by itself if

> I like black olives. I like green olives more. I like the
> various fancy types of olives even more still. Small batch
> varietals from Santa Barbara CA rule.

>> all I'm going to do is eat an olive. I like them sliced on
>> pizza and on salads. That's pretty much it. I sometimes
>> would put black olives on my homemade pizzas to make them a
>> little saltier without adding salt.

> Green olives burn very easily, but since I like them I want
> them on my pizza instead of black olives if possible. Very
> few places offer green olives on pizza, maybe because of the
> burning problem maybe because they are less popular than black
> ones. The prick is to put the "toppings" underneath the
> cheese. Which both protects the green olives from burning and
> makes the word "topping" a misnomer.

>> Actually salting pizza, especially after it's already baked,
>> has always made pizza taste very odd to me, so I never have
>> salted pizza at the table. If it needs salt, I find a way to
>> work it in with the hamburger meat, or by putting olives
>> and/or feta cheese on it. A little feta goes a long way on a
>> pizza that has pepperoni on it.

I like black Kalimata olives not only on salads but in many dishes,
particularly Chicken Marbella.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
snip

> Actually salting pizza, especially after it's already baked, has always
> made pizza taste very odd to me, so I never have salted pizza at the
> table.
>
> Damaeus

How odd, I can't imagine anyone ever 'salting' a pizza at table. Or salting
a pizza to increase the flavor. If you are using any of the traditional
cheeses or meats, there should be enough salt in the meal as it is.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> I like black Kalimata olives not only on salads but in many dishes,
> particularly Chicken Marbella.

We go through a lot of Kalimata olives in the summer because we liek
Greek salads...... onion, tomato, cucumber, feta and olives, sprinkled
with oregano and/or marjoram, lemon juice and olive oil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> notbob wrote:
> >
> > On 2010-03-18, Steve B > wrote:
> >
> > > Another thing is the serving size. I just bought a jar of large pimento
> > > stuffed green olives. A serving has 7% of the RDA. Guess what one
> > > serving
> > > is: one olive. It helps to read the label.

> > You actually need to read the label of pimento olives to know they are
> > very salty?

> Every time I buy olives, I run several changes
> of water through the can over a period of maybe
> an hour to lower the salt content.

I dump the brine in green olives, fill the jar with water and let it sit
overnight, then dump it again and re-rill with water and refrigerate. 2
changes is generally enough for me.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Bob Terwilliger" >
posted on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:18:36 -0700 the following:

> Dave Smith:
>
> > Canned ripe olives are nasty.

> Not these: http://www.graberolives.com/
>
> They're not like any other olives I've ever had. They're almost buttery.

I never knew about an olive bar. I'm very interested in finding some. Are
they hard to get, or would a place like Albertson's, Brookshire's, Kroger,
or even Wal-Mart carry them? My roomie says he doesn't like olives, so if
I can try some of these like you're suggesting, I might like them more,
and he might start liking them on pizza.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "James Silverton"
> posted on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:52:56 -0400
the following:

> I like black Kalimata olives not only on salads but in many dishes,
> particularly Chicken Marbella.

Is that anything like Chicken Marsalla (sp)? I was once interested in
cooking with wines, and I tried chicken marsalla at home, then at a
restaurant (though it was just TGI Friday's) and didn't like it. I just
got to where, to me, wine made food taste like it was more dead than it
would be fresh. I mean, wine is made with a fermentation process, which
is basically rotting on a level, and that rot taste is then transferred to
food. I don't like my food to taste rotten, and to me, chicken marsalla
tasted like it was made with a rotten sauce. I hated it.

Does that mean my taste in food is not refined? Or that I just like fresh
food that tastes fresh? I don't need wine in my taco meat to enjoy it.
Why put it in my chicken gravy?

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Janet Bostwick" > posted on
Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:08:22 -0600 the following:

> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
> snip
>
> > Actually salting pizza, especially after it's already baked, has always
> > made pizza taste very odd to me, so I never have salted pizza at the
> > table.
> >
> > Damaeus

> How odd, I can't imagine anyone ever 'salting' a pizza at table. Or salting
> a pizza to increase the flavor. If you are using any of the traditional
> cheeses or meats, there should be enough salt in the meal as it is.

I don't usually salt a pizza that has meat on it, but one time I made a
pizza with a few leftover pepperonis and a lot of onion and green pepper,
so I did dash a wild spattering of popcorn salt over the whole top of it
before topping it with mozzarella. Nothing that would make it salty, but
would replace the salt that might normally be found if it had sausage and
more pepperoni on it. I knew what I was doing, in other words. I don't
normally salt pizza, but in that case I made an exception since I was out
of meats I could use on it.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2010 4:16 AM, Damaeus wrote:
> In news:rec.food.cooking, "James Silverton"
> > posted on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:52:56 -0400
> the following:
>
>> I like black Kalimata olives not only on salads but in many dishes,
>> particularly Chicken Marbella.

> Is that anything like Chicken Marsalla (sp)? I was once interested in
> cooking with wines, and I tried chicken marsalla at home, then at a
> restaurant (though it was just TGI Friday's) and didn't like it. I just
> got to where, to me, wine made food taste like it was more dead than it
> would be fresh. I mean, wine is made with a fermentation process, which
> is basically rotting on a level, and that rot taste is then transferred to
> food. I don't like my food to taste rotten, and to me, chicken marsalla
> tasted like it was made with a rotten sauce. I hated it.
>
> Does that mean my taste in food is not refined? Or that I just like fresh
> food that tastes fresh? I don't need wine in my taco meat to enjoy it.
> Why put it in my chicken gravy?

I think that what it means is that you started with the wrong dish and
didn't have it prepared by somebody who knows what he's doing. Marsala
is something of an acquired taste--most wine does _not_ taste like
that--and poorly prepared chicken Marsala can be pretty putrid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damaeus" > wrote in message
> In news:rec.food.cooking, "Janet Bostwick" > posted on
> Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:08:22 -0600 the following:
>
>> "Damaeus" > wrote in message
>> snip
>>
>> > Actually salting pizza, especially after it's already baked, has always
>> > made pizza taste very odd to me, so I never have salted pizza at the
>> > table.
>> >
>> > Damaeus

>> How odd, I can't imagine anyone ever 'salting' a pizza at table. Or
>> salting
>> a pizza to increase the flavor. If you are using any of the traditional
>> cheeses or meats, there should be enough salt in the meal as it is.

> I don't usually salt a pizza that has meat on it, but one time I made a
> pizza with a few leftover pepperonis and a lot of onion and green pepper,
> so I did dash a wild spattering of popcorn salt over the whole top of it
> before topping it with mozzarella. Nothing that would make it salty, but
> would replace the salt that might normally be found if it had sausage and
> more pepperoni on it. I knew what I was doing, in other words. I don't
> normally salt pizza, but in that case I made an exception since I was out
> of meats I could use on it.
>
> Damaeus

You do know there are pizza types made without salty meat? A famous one,
Pizza Margherita, is made only with crushed tomatoes, mozzarella, a little
olive oil and a few basil leaves. It may be that you are accustomed to
salting food to get flavor instead of appreciating the flavor that is
already there from the ingredients. Mozzarella is already quite salty.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus wrote:

>I never knew about an olive bar. I'm very interested in finding some. Are
>they hard to get, or would a place like Albertson's, Brookshire's, Kroger,
>or even Wal-Mart carry them?

If you can't find an olive bar perhaps this:
http://www.boarshead.com/digicatesse...roductCode=306

Or this:
http://www.herbspro.com/70262/OliveB...inkwrapped.htm

Or the real deal:
http://www.fairwaymarket.com/olive_bar.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Now here's an olive bar

http://www.pbase.com/liz_elliott/image/71404198

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message

> http://www.pbase.com/liz_elliott/image/71404198

Oh my!!! but imagine them having to spoil those displays to sell
them!!!!!!!!! Or do they just keep them as a work of art?

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> http://www.pbase.com/liz_elliott/image/71404198

Wow! I would just hang out over to the side to see much comedy
ensue when some poor soul tries to actually take some of those
olives. (laughing)

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message

> http://www.pbase.com/liz_elliott/image/71404198

Ocd.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 13:26:50 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> "gloria.p" > wrote in message
> >

> > http://www.pbase.com/liz_elliott/image/71404198
> >

> Ocd.

Labor is cheap.

--
http://picasaweb.google.com/sf.usenet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Olives (was Kraft to cut salt in its foods)

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> Damaeus wrote:
> >
> >I never knew about an olive bar. I'm very interested in finding some. Are
> >they hard to get, or would a place like Albertson's, Brookshire's, Kroger,
> >or even Wal-Mart carry them?

> If you can't find an olive bar perhaps this:
> http://www.boarshead.com/digicatesse...roductCode=306
>
> Or this:
> http://www.herbspro.com/70262/OliveB...inkwrapped.htm
>
> Or the real deal:
> http://www.fairwaymarket.com/olive_bar.html

One can make "gourmet" olives out of canned olives. I did it for
Christmas potluck at my sister's place and it worked well. :-)

Take a large jar of green olives (you have to start this at least a week
before you plan to use them) and put them thru 3 water soaks instead of
2. Dump out the brine and fill the jar with water. Soak for at least 12
hours. Dump the water and repeat 2 more times. A can of black olives
only takes one soak and water change as they are not as salty. Use 2 to
get an even mix of green and black olives. I use the cheap salad olives
that are pimento stuffed.

Mix the green and black olives together into a jar. Mix some Balsamic
and apple cider vinegar and olive oil. About 1 part vinegar mix to 3
parts olive oil. Add your favorite spice mix (I used a mix of McCormick
italian spices that include basil, oregano, thyme, sage and marjoram),
some dill weed, garlic powder, white pepper (just a pinch of pepper!),
add a couple of tablespoons of capers and 2 or 3 pickled pepperoncinis.
I added additional dried basil as I happen to really like it. I did not
have enough fresh at the time to use that instead.

If you are using 1 16 oz. jar of green and 2 cans of black olives, I'd
say add at least 2 to 3 tbs. of dried herbs.

A few jarred pearl onions are also a nice touch just for looks.

Mix well and let sit for a few days, inverting and mixing well at least
twice per day.

Gourmet olives at a fraction of the price.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> http://www.pbase.com/liz_elliott/image/71404198
>
> gloria p

Nice display, but I'd think that many of those would dry out?
Most olive bars sell the olives out of bins full of the brine.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:09:47 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:38:40 -0700, Lin >
> wrote:
>
>>Not to mention the cans have some sort of coating/lining on the interior
>>to fend off the possibility of metallic taste.
>>
>>--Lin (second Bob on the buttery comment)

> Welcome back, Lin!!!

i was going to say.

yoo-hoo, lin.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:33:09 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>> Damaeus wrote:
>> >
>> >I never knew about an olive bar. I'm very interested in finding some. Are
>> >they hard to get, or would a place like Albertson's, Brookshire's, Kroger,
>> >or even Wal-Mart carry them?

>> If you can't find an olive bar perhaps this:
>> http://www.boarshead.com/digicatesse...roductCode=306
>>
>> Or this:
>> http://www.herbspro.com/70262/OliveB...inkwrapped.htm
>>
>> Or the real deal:
>> http://www.fairwaymarket.com/olive_bar.html

>One can make "gourmet" olives out of canned olives.

Well, you really can't, seasoning cheapo olives doesn't make them
gourmet olives... no more than dressing toasted english muffins with
jarred sauce and spinkling it with velveeta and various herbs/toppings
makes it gourmet pizza

> did it for
>Christmas potluck at my sister's place and it worked well. :-)
>
>Take a large jar of green olives (you have to start this at least a week
>before you plan to use them) and put them thru 3 water soaks instead of
>2. Dump out the brine and fill the jar with water. Soak for at least 12
>hours. Dump the water and repeat 2 more times. A can of black olives
>only takes one soak and water change as they are not as salty. Use 2 to
>get an even mix of green and black olives. I use the cheap salad olives
>that are pimento stuffed.
>
>Mix the green and black olives together into a jar. Mix some Balsamic
>and apple cider vinegar and olive oil. About 1 part vinegar mix to 3
>parts olive oil. Add your favorite spice mix (I used a mix of McCormick
>italian spices that include basil, oregano, thyme, sage and marjoram),
>some dill weed, garlic powder, white pepper (just a pinch of pepper!),
>add a couple of tablespoons of capers and 2 or 3 pickled pepperoncinis.
>I added additional dried basil as I happen to really like it. I did not
>have enough fresh at the time to use that instead.
>
>If you are using 1 16 oz. jar of green and 2 cans of black olives, I'd
>say add at least 2 to 3 tbs. of dried herbs.
>
>A few jarred pearl onions are also a nice touch just for looks.
>
>Mix well and let sit for a few days, inverting and mixing well at least
>twice per day.
>
>Gourmet olives at a fraction of the price.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> >One can make "gourmet" olives out of canned olives.

> Well, you really can't, seasoning cheapo olives doesn't make them
> gourmet olives... no more than dressing toasted english muffins with
> jarred sauce and spinkling it with velveeta and various herbs/toppings
> makes it gourmet pizza

That's why I put it in "quotes" dear. ;-)
Ok, call them "psuedo-gourmet" then. <g>

Seriously tho', since you are leaching the commercial brine out of them,
this works pretty well. I dare you to try it and, of course, tweak it to
your own personal tastes.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:
> "gloria.p" > wrote:
>
>> http://www.pbase.com/liz_elliott/image/71404198
>>
>> gloria p

>Nice display, but I'd think that many of those would dry out?
>Most olive bars sell the olives out of bins full of the brine.

Not true... the best olives are oil/salt cured... brined olives are
the dregs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 14:29:22 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>> >One can make "gourmet" olives out of canned olives.

>> Well, you really can't, seasoning cheapo olives doesn't make them
>> gourmet olives... no more than dressing toasted english muffins with
>> jarred sauce and spinkling it with velveeta and various herbs/toppings
>> makes it gourmet pizza

>That's why I put it in "quotes" dear. ;-)
>Ok, call them "psuedo-gourmet" then. <g>
>
>Seriously tho', since you are leaching the commercial brine out of them,
>this works pretty well. I dare you to try it and, of course, tweak it to
>your own personal tastes.

I've done the same thing often but they're still cheapo olives. I buy
those broken salad olives and eat them right from the jar, they're
okay all dressed in a bean salad but not in a million years would I
call them gourmet. Gourmet olives are kind of a blind article, kinda
like buying premium coffee beans, unless you actally taste you have no
idea what you're buying, that's why olive bars exist... no one ever
asks to taste the brined olives, no more than they ask to taste the
American cheese at the deli... when the price says $3.99/lb folks know
they're the same cheapo olives as the ones in jars/cans. The only
thing that makes some cheapo olives cost more is size, the larger the
more they cost, but all the sizes taste exactly the same.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in -
september.org:

> http://www.pbase.com/liz_elliott/image/71404198
>
> gloria p

:-)

"Yes, I'd like some of those purple ones..... but I want the bottom 4 rows
thanks." ;-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news

> One can make "gourmet" olives out of canned olives. I did it for
> Christmas potluck at my sister's place and it worked well. :-)
>
> Take a large jar of green olives (you have to start this at least a week
> before you plan to use them) and put them thru 3 water soaks instead of
> 2. Dump out the brine and fill the jar with water. Soak for at least 12
> hours. Dump the water and repeat 2 more times. A can of black olives
> only takes one soak and water change as they are not as salty. Use 2 to
> get an even mix of green and black olives. I use the cheap salad olives
> that are pimento stuffed.
>
> Mix the green and black olives together into a jar. Mix some Balsamic
> and apple cider vinegar and olive oil. About 1 part vinegar mix to 3
> parts olive oil. Add your favorite spice mix (I used a mix of McCormick
> italian spices that include basil, oregano, thyme, sage and marjoram),
> some dill weed, garlic powder, white pepper (just a pinch of pepper!),
> add a couple of tablespoons of capers and 2 or 3 pickled pepperoncinis.
> I added additional dried basil as I happen to really like it. I did not
> have enough fresh at the time to use that instead.
>
> If you are using 1 16 oz. jar of green and 2 cans of black olives, I'd
> say add at least 2 to 3 tbs. of dried herbs.
>
> A few jarred pearl onions are also a nice touch just for looks.
>
> Mix well and let sit for a few days, inverting and mixing well at least
> twice per day.
>
> Gourmet olives at a fraction of the price.

Moochos grassyass Ms Om........ I was just about to post a request for
this ;-)

I bought a jar of green olives especially to give this a whirl.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:

> http://www.pbase.com/liz_elliott/image/71404198
>
> gloria p

Beautiful pictures of Morocco. Some day I will go. Every year is "maybe
this year".....

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> gloria.p wrote:
>>

>> http://www.pbase.com/liz_elliott/image/71404198
>>
>> gloria p

> Beautiful pictures of Morocco. Some day I will go. Every year is "maybe
> this year".....
>
> Tracy

It was a fantastic experience. If you are within the age limit,
the Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) tour is really wonderful.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> i was going to say.
>
> yoo-hoo, lin.

Thank you kindly, dear sir! Admittedly, when I would peek in the group
from time-to-time, I'd be looking for your posts. You make it very easy
to get caught-up. However, it doesn't look like I've missed much --
except you guys!

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> Tracy wrote:
>> gloria.p wrote:
>>>

>>> http://www.pbase.com/liz_elliott/image/71404198
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Beautiful pictures of Morocco. Some day I will go. Every year is
>> "maybe this year".....
>>
>> Tracy

> It was a fantastic experience. If you are within the age limit,
> the Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) tour is really wonderful.
>
> gloria p

I checked out the site, but I didn't see anything about age requirement.
I don't know if I am too young or not old enough.

It sounds like a really fantastic concept, but I doubt my husband would
be willing to do something like that. He really, really dislikes group
tours.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:

> I checked out the site, but I didn't see anything about age requirement.
> I don't know if I am too young or not old enough.

You're both. Everybody hates your generation. :-)