Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kraft to cut salt in its foods

In article > ,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> The last paragraphs indicate other companies that will be cutting salt
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yj4mood

That's good news, thanks. Some of those are base ingredient and generic
manufacturers.

I don't buy a lot of processed foods but when I do, I read a lot of
labels and try to get the lowest sodium possible. I bought some bologna
the other day and the cheapest brand "Corn King" was lower in sodium
than Oscar Meyer. It was $1.29 per lb.

I've been buying "no salt added" canned goods for ages now and
fortunately the vegetables are the same price as the regular ones, but
many canned goods (such as soups and tuna) that are marked "reduced
sodium" are significantly higher in price. It always annoyed me.

Granted I eat mostly fresh (altho' that's changed lately as I'm trying
to live out of freezer and pantry due to being out of work and I'm happy
I have such food storage) but sometimes canned goods are convenient and
significantly cheaper than fresh.

Fresh frozen of course is an alternative. I discovered that frozen
pearl onions were drastically less expensive than the fresh ones in the
produce section...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein