Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sandwiches

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Andy > posted:

> Early in my youth, Mom, before becoming a gourmet cook, served us a
> canned ham, uncooked with the gelatin. I took one bite and between the
> salt and slime, I promptly threw up all over the kitchen table!

I did that once when my mom served chicken and dumplings. I don't know if
she'd made them herself, or got them out of a Sweet Sue can. Either way,
she uttered my name as if she couldn't believe I'd ever do such a
thing...as if somehow, deep down, I had done it on purpose. Hell, I was
only 5-7 years old.

> Secretly the rest of the family was glad I did. She never tried that
> again!

My mom never made chicken and dumplings again, either. LOL

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> I made hamburgers for my sister's family once. They seemed amazed and
> remarked about the wonderful flavor. The only thing I did to the
> hamburger patty was use salt, pepper, and garlic powder. The buns were
> buttered with a mixture of softened butter (salted) and garlic powder.
> Nothing special there, but garlic does add a lot to a burger's flavor, and
> it sure seemed to impress the hell out of them as their eyes rolled back
> in their heads with pleasure and delight.

I honestly think that garlic powder has a similar effect to MSG as a
flavor enhancer. I use it a lot for stuff for dad. And it's good for
you!

I read somewhere that dehydrated garlic had a lot more antioxidants in
it than fresh garlic. Makes sense if you think about it. <g>
Seems to preserve it better too.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>In article >,
> Damaeus > wrote:
>
>> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
>> Melba's Jammin' > posted:

>> > Have you ever tasted the pb-banana sandwich? Better than it sounds.

>> I'm not a huge fan of bananas. I'll eat one every now and then, but
>> they're not my favorite.

I used to eat peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwiches as a snack when
I was a Very Hungry Teenager. (Sometimes I used graham crackers as the
"bread".)

I still like PB but don't often eat it in sandwich form; I usually only
have sourdough in the house and don't like the combo.

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Omelet > posted:

> I honestly think that garlic powder has a similar effect to MSG as a
> flavor enhancer. I use it a lot for stuff for dad. And it's good for
> you!
>
> I read somewhere that dehydrated garlic had a lot more antioxidants in
> it than fresh garlic. Makes sense if you think about it. <g>
> Seems to preserve it better too.

Garlic powder is one of those spices that's strong enough dehydrated to
justify using it. But I notice a vast difference in foods if I use fresh
basil or fresh cilantro, as opposed to the dried stuff. Makes me wish I
had a huge greenhouse with rows of various herbs. I do have a thyme plant
in a pot in the back yard. The stuff survives even in winter. Mine was
covered with snow and sat out in freezing weather and it never died. I
even forget to water it for ages and it still lives. It gets morning dew
and it gets watered when it rains. Of course, the tray it sits in keeps
water under it for a while.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> Omelet > posted:
>
> > I honestly think that garlic powder has a similar effect to MSG as a
> > flavor enhancer. I use it a lot for stuff for dad. And it's good for
> > you!
> >
> > I read somewhere that dehydrated garlic had a lot more antioxidants in
> > it than fresh garlic. Makes sense if you think about it. <g>
> > Seems to preserve it better too.

> Garlic powder is one of those spices that's strong enough dehydrated to
> justify using it.

Indeed.

> But I notice a vast difference in foods if I use fresh
> basil or fresh cilantro, as opposed to the dried stuff. Makes me wish I
> had a huge greenhouse with rows of various herbs. I do have a thyme plant
> in a pot in the back yard. The stuff survives even in winter. Mine was
> covered with snow and sat out in freezing weather and it never died. I
> even forget to water it for ages and it still lives. It gets morning dew
> and it gets watered when it rains. Of course, the tray it sits in keeps
> water under it for a while.
>
> Damaeus

Oh there is always a vast difference in the flavor of fresh vs. dried
herbs. I try to keep fresh Basil alive as long as possible and I'm
trying to get a new thyme plant started as my old one died. There is
lovely rosemary in front of the Bank building in raised planters, but
I'm starting a new one of those too. I'm so sick of weeding the herb
garden tho' so the plan is to lay down landscaping fabric and dump
cypress mulch on top of it, then wait a bit for the remaining weeds to
die. Then I will cut small holes in the fabric to put in the new plants.

I have one ancient bush of mexican oregano that I use quite a bit of.

That being said tho', I do have a well stocked spice cabinet with dried
herbs. Just rub them between your fingers as you apply them rather than
just sprinkling them in. It does make a difference!

You can also freeze fresh herbs in ice cubes.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Omelet > posted:

> Oh there is always a vast difference in the flavor of fresh vs. dried
> herbs. I try to keep fresh Basil alive as long as possible and I'm
> trying to get a new thyme plant started as my old one died. There is
> lovely rosemary in front of the Bank building in raised planters, but
> I'm starting a new one of those too. I'm so sick of weeding the herb
> garden tho' so the plan is to lay down landscaping fabric and dump
> cypress mulch on top of it, then wait a bit for the remaining weeds to
> die. Then I will cut small holes in the fabric to put in the new plants.

When my adoptive parents used to plant flowers or whatever, they'd put
down layers of plastic trash bags to keep weeds from growing, while the
flowers or bushes would stick up through the holes. Then they'd put down
bags of tree bark. It hardly ever had to be weeded, but yeah, I'd hate
having to weed a garden. That's one of the reasons I think I've been
turned off by growing a vegetable garden....having to get out every week
and weed the thing. Plus I'd want a pretty big garden, and I'm the only
one who'd be working in it. A full garden seems like too much work for
just one person to handle.

Brings up the idea of communism, but not just in an economic sense. It
would be cool, I think, to have "community gardens" where anybody in the
neighborhood who wanted to, could go out and work in it, and harvest from
it. It's good "together" time for people to talk and get to know each
other instead of staying inside and peeking through the blinds. Instead
of plain old shade trees, everyone would have fruit-bearing trees. There'd
be enough peaches on one guy's tree to supply the whole block with enough
peaches to get them through the winter. But what to people do? They plant
trees that don't provide any food at all. It's kind of silly, if you ask
me, and not a very intelligent way to run a planet.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> Omelet > posted:
>
> > Oh there is always a vast difference in the flavor of fresh vs. dried
> > herbs. I try to keep fresh Basil alive as long as possible and I'm
> > trying to get a new thyme plant started as my old one died. There is
> > lovely rosemary in front of the Bank building in raised planters, but
> > I'm starting a new one of those too. I'm so sick of weeding the herb
> > garden tho' so the plan is to lay down landscaping fabric and dump
> > cypress mulch on top of it, then wait a bit for the remaining weeds to
> > die. Then I will cut small holes in the fabric to put in the new plants.

> When my adoptive parents used to plant flowers or whatever, they'd put
> down layers of plastic trash bags to keep weeds from growing, while the
> flowers or bushes would stick up through the holes. Then they'd put down
> bags of tree bark. It hardly ever had to be weeded, but yeah, I'd hate
> having to weed a garden. That's one of the reasons I think I've been
> turned off by growing a vegetable garden....having to get out every week
> and weed the thing. Plus I'd want a pretty big garden, and I'm the only
> one who'd be working in it. A full garden seems like too much work for
> just one person to handle.

Landscaping fabric comes in rolls and really does work to control weeds.
And it lets water in which is important. The bark mulch also helps to
conserve water. Cost per gallon of city water has prevented me from
doing as much gardening as I'd like to.

> Brings up the idea of communism, but not just in an economic sense. It
> would be cool, I think, to have "community gardens" where anybody in the
> neighborhood who wanted to, could go out and work in it, and harvest from
> it.

There used to be community gardens around here. The problem with them
was that some people are lazy pigs. They won't "work" the garden, but
they are all too happy to go in when the produce is ripe and pick it
without having done any of the work. That is why communism does not
work. Humans are basically lazy and need incentive to actually get off
their lazy asses and work!

This is not true of everyone of course, but it's true of just enough of
them to ruin it for the rest of us!

> It's good "together" time for people to talk and get to know each
> other instead of staying inside and peeking through the blinds. Instead
> of plain old shade trees, everyone would have fruit-bearing trees. There'd
> be enough peaches on one guy's tree to supply the whole block with enough
> peaches to get them through the winter. But what to people do? They plant
> trees that don't provide any food at all. It's kind of silly, if you ask
> me, and not a very intelligent way to run a planet.
>
> Damaeus

See above. There has to be hourly work schedules. In order to be able
to harvest the fruit, one has to have officially logged in X number of
hours of honest work in the garden.

I wish it was not that way, but that's the way it is...

That is why most community gardening efforts fail.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Omelet > posted on Sun, 14
Mar 2010 21:19:31 -0600 the following:

> See above. There has to be hourly work schedules. In order to be able
> to harvest the fruit, one has to have officially logged in X number of
> hours of honest work in the garden.
>
> I wish it was not that way, but that's the way it is...
>
> That is why most community gardening efforts fail.

I understand completely. The only answer is human immortality. Then
nobody will depend on anything to survive, since death would be
impossible.

Damaeus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, Omelet > posted on Sun, 14
> Mar 2010 21:19:31 -0600 the following:
>
> > See above. There has to be hourly work schedules. In order to be able
> > to harvest the fruit, one has to have officially logged in X number of
> > hours of honest work in the garden.
> >
> > I wish it was not that way, but that's the way it is...
> >
> > That is why most community gardening efforts fail.

> I understand completely. The only answer is human immortality. Then
> nobody will depend on anything to survive, since death would be
> impossible.
>
> Damaeus

I'll just attend my own garden, thank you. ;-)
And give kind neighbors the excess that I cannot use!

I recently harvested a number of wild onions (that take no effort to
grow) and washed them well. I gave some to the neighbors that kindly
allowed me to harvest some from their driveway. Since they were well
washed and ready to eat, they were more than willing to use them. <g>

I had no issue with that as they had allowed me to harvest them from
_their_ property.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> There used to be community gardens around here. The problem with them
> was that some people are lazy pigs. They won't "work" the garden, but
> they are all too happy to go in when the produce is ripe and pick it
> without having done any of the work. That is why communism does not
> work. Humans are basically lazy and need incentive to actually get off
> their lazy asses and work!
>

> See above. There has to be hourly work schedules. In order to be able
> to harvest the fruit, one has to have officially logged in X number of
> hours of honest work in the garden.
>
> I wish it was not that way, but that's the way it is...
>
> That is why most community gardening efforts fail.

In order for it to work, you need people who love to grow things rather
than just eat. I'm convinced that gardeners are born, not made.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 6:25*am, Damaeus > wrote:
> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> (Charlotte L. Blackmer) posted:
>
> > I still like PB but don't often eat it in sandwich form; *I usually only
> > have sourdough in the house and don't like the combo. *

> I used to eat peanut butter and jelly on club crackers.
>
> Damaeus

Jelly on soda crackers - very yummy. So is leftover chocolate
frosting good on soda crackers. Use the salted ones. ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "gloria.p" > posted on Mon,
15 Mar 2010 09:25:29 -0600 the following:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > See above. There has to be hourly work schedules. In order to be able
> > to harvest the fruit, one has to have officially logged in X number of
> > hours of honest work in the garden.
> >
> > I wish it was not that way, but that's the way it is...
> >
> > That is why most community gardening efforts fail.

> In order for it to work, you need people who love to grow things rather
> than just eat. I'm convinced that gardeners are born, not made.

That's why the gardeners would take care of the garden, but the
electrician who works at the power plant would work to provide everyone's
house with free electricity, then come home and pluck a tomato to use on
his family's hamburgers that night. The guy who works at the local
restaurant would be busy cooking (high quality) meals for people to eat
free, then come home and pull up a couple of carrots for that night's
salad for his family. So only those "born gardeners" would even feel
compelled to work in the community garden. The born chefs would be at
restaurants working. The born doctors would be at hospitals truly caring
for patients. The born musicians would be busy creating delightful music
for us all to listen to, all free, just like community garden produce. The
born computer programmers would be busy writing the software we all use on
our computers (all free), then come home and pluck a couple of bell
peppers to use in their dinner.

I think it would ultimately work, but we'd have to get rid of money first,
in all aspects of life.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> That's why the gardeners would take care of the garden, but the
> electrician who works at the power plant would work to provide everyone's
> house with free electricity, then come home and pluck a tomato to use on
> his family's hamburgers that night. The guy who works at the local
> restaurant would be busy cooking (high quality) meals for people to eat
> free, then come home and pull up a couple of carrots for that night's
> salad for his family. So only those "born gardeners" would even feel
> compelled to work in the community garden. The born chefs would be at
> restaurants working. The born doctors would be at hospitals truly caring
> for patients. The born musicians would be busy creating delightful music
> for us all to listen to, all free, just like community garden produce. The
> born computer programmers would be busy writing the software we all use on
> our computers (all free), then come home and pluck a couple of bell
> peppers to use in their dinner.
>
> I think it would ultimately work, but we'd have to get rid of money first,
> in all aspects of life.
>
> Damaeus

Mm, true communism.
So what if someone was a born politician? <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Omelet > posted on Tue, 16
Mar 2010 06:00:57 -0600 the following:

> In article >,
> Damaeus > wrote:
>
> > That's why the gardeners would take care of the garden, but the
> > electrician who works at the power plant would work to provide everyone's
> > house with free electricity, then come home and pluck a tomato to use on
> > his family's hamburgers that night. The guy who works at the local
> > restaurant would be busy cooking (high quality) meals for people to eat
> > free, then come home and pull up a couple of carrots for that night's
> > salad for his family. So only those "born gardeners" would even feel
> > compelled to work in the community garden. The born chefs would be at
> > restaurants working. The born doctors would be at hospitals truly caring
> > for patients. The born musicians would be busy creating delightful music
> > for us all to listen to, all free, just like community garden produce. The
> > born computer programmers would be busy writing the software we all use on
> > our computers (all free), then come home and pluck a couple of bell
> > peppers to use in their dinner.
> >
> > I think it would ultimately work, but we'd have to get rid of money first,
> > in all aspects of life.

> Mm, true communism.
> So what if someone was a born politician? <g>

He would be the one who wants to sit around, do nothing, and tell everyone
else what's best because he knows. And the rest of us would all be wise
enough to know that he's best ignored.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 15, 6:52*pm, Damaeus > wrote:
> In news:rec.food.cooking, "gloria.p" > posted on Mon,
> 15 Mar 2010 09:25:29 -0600 the following:
>
> > Omelet wrote:

> > > See above. There has to be hourly work schedules. *In order to be able
> > > to harvest the fruit, one has to have officially logged in X number of
> > > hours of honest work in the garden.

> > > I wish it was not that way, but that's the way it is...

> > > That is why most community gardening efforts fail.

> > In order for it to work, you need people who love to grow things rather
> > than just eat. *I'm convinced that gardeners are born, not made.

> That's why the gardeners would take care of the garden, but the
> electrician who works at the power plant would work to provide everyone's
> house with free electricity, then come home and pluck a tomato to use on
> his family's hamburgers that night. *The guy who works at the local
> restaurant would be busy cooking (high quality) meals for people to eat
> free, then come home and pull up a couple of carrots for that night's
> salad for his family. *So only those "born gardeners" would even feel
> compelled to work in the community garden. *The born chefs would be at
> restaurants working. *The born doctors would be at hospitals truly caring
> for patients. *The born musicians would be busy creating delightful music
> for us all to listen to, all free, just like community garden produce. The
> born computer programmers would be busy writing the software we all use on
> our computers (all free), then come home and pluck a couple of bell
> peppers to use in their dinner.

I think you don't know very much about human nature. The "born
bullies"
would beat up everybody else and take what they wanted.

> I think it would ultimately work, but we'd have to get rid of money first,
> in all aspects of life.

Without the incentive to "get ahead", most people will do nothing, or
the
bare minimum. A societal death spiral will quickly follow.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, Omelet > posted on Tue, 16
> Mar 2010 06:00:57 -0600 the following:
>
> > In article >,
> > Damaeus > wrote:
> >
> > > That's why the gardeners would take care of the garden, but the
> > > electrician who works at the power plant would work to provide everyone's
> > > house with free electricity, then come home and pluck a tomato to use on
> > > his family's hamburgers that night. The guy who works at the local
> > > restaurant would be busy cooking (high quality) meals for people to eat
> > > free, then come home and pull up a couple of carrots for that night's
> > > salad for his family. So only those "born gardeners" would even feel
> > > compelled to work in the community garden. The born chefs would be at
> > > restaurants working. The born doctors would be at hospitals truly caring
> > > for patients. The born musicians would be busy creating delightful music
> > > for us all to listen to, all free, just like community garden produce. The
> > > born computer programmers would be busy writing the software we all use on
> > > our computers (all free), then come home and pluck a couple of bell
> > > peppers to use in their dinner.
> > >
> > > I think it would ultimately work, but we'd have to get rid of money first,
> > > in all aspects of life.

> > Mm, true communism.
> > So what if someone was a born politician? <g>

> He would be the one who wants to sit around, do nothing, and tell everyone
> else what's best because he knows. And the rest of us would all be wise
> enough to know that he's best ignored.
>
> Damaeus

And let him starve!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> I think you don't know very much about human nature. The "born
> bullies"
> would beat up everybody else and take what they wanted.
>
> > I think it would ultimately work, but we'd have to get rid of money first,
> > in all aspects of life.

> Without the incentive to "get ahead", most people will do nothing, or
> the
> bare minimum. A societal death spiral will quickly follow.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

It happened in Russia. Why do you think Vodka is so popular there?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:52:15 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

> It happened in Russia. Why do you think Vodka is so popular there?

No other recreation, depression. Same with Iceland.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> DamnAnus wrote:
>
>> That's why the gardeners would take care of the garden, but the
>> electrician who works at the power plant would work to provide everyone's
>> house with free electricity, then come home and pluck a tomato to use on
>> his family's hamburgers that night. The guy who works at the local
>> restaurant would be busy cooking (high quality) meals for people to eat
>> free, then come home and pull up a couple of carrots for that night's
>> salad for his family. So only those "born gardeners" would even feel
>> compelled to work in the community garden. The born chefs would be at
>> restaurants working. The born doctors would be at hospitals truly caring
>> for patients. The born musicians would be busy creating delightful music
>> for us all to listen to, all free, just like community garden produce. The
>> born computer programmers would be busy writing the software we all use on
>> our computers (all free), then come home and pluck a couple of bell
>> peppers to use in their dinner.
>>
>> I think it would ultimately work, but we'd have to get rid of money first,
>> in all aspects of life.
>>
>> DamnAnus

>Mm, true communism.

Nope, you forgot about the dictator and the military to keep all the
peons producing.

>So what if someone was a born politician? <g>

We know that DamnAnus is a born asshole! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 06:24:32 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Mar 15, 6:52*pm, Damaeus > wrote:
>> In news:rec.food.cooking, "gloria.p" > posted on Mon,
>> 15 Mar 2010 09:25:29 -0600 the following:

>> > In order for it to work, you need people who love to grow things rather
>> > than just eat. *I'm convinced that gardeners are born, not made.

>> That's why the gardeners would take care of the garden, but the
>> electrician who works at the power plant would work to provide everyone's
>> house with free electricity, then come home and pluck a tomato to use on
>> his family's hamburgers that night. *The guy who works at the local
>> restaurant would be busy cooking (high quality) meals for people to eat
>> free, then come home and pull up a couple of carrots for that night's
>> salad for his family. *So only those "born gardeners" would even feel
>> compelled to work in the community garden. *The born chefs would be at
>> restaurants working. *The born doctors would be at hospitals truly caring
>> for patients. *The born musicians would be busy creating delightful music
>> for us all to listen to, all free, just like community garden produce. The
>> born computer programmers would be busy writing the software we all use on
>> our computers (all free), then come home and pluck a couple of bell
>> peppers to use in their dinner.

>I think you don't know very much about human nature. The "born
>bullies"
>would beat up everybody else and take what they wanted.
>
>> I think it would ultimately work, but we'd have to get rid of money first,
>> in all aspects of life.

>Without the incentive to "get ahead", most people will do nothing, or
>the
>bare minimum. A societal death spiral will quickly follow.

Not really... been working very well for many years in Cuba. Most of
the planet's people exist under a regime... the obomination regime is
ratcheting up at an ever escalating rate. Only took a year for
everyone in the US to have a neighbor who no longer receives a pay
check. Next year bread lines, remember who told you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 16, 10:51*am, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 06:24:32 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>

> > wrote:
> >On Mar 15, 6:52 pm, Damaeus > wrote:
> >> In news:rec.food.cooking, "gloria.p" > posted on Mon,
> >> 15 Mar 2010 09:25:29 -0600 the following:

> >> That's why the gardeners would take care of the garden, but the
> >> electrician who works at the power plant would work to provide everyone's
> >> house with free electricity, then come home and pluck a tomato to use on
> >> his family's hamburgers that night. The guy who works at the local
> >> restaurant would be busy cooking (high quality) meals for people to eat
> >> free, then come home and pull up a couple of carrots for that night's
> >> salad for his family. So only those "born gardeners" would even feel
> >> compelled to work in the community garden. The born chefs would be at
> >> restaurants working. The born doctors would be at hospitals truly caring
> >> for patients. The born musicians would be busy creating delightful music
> >> for us all to listen to, all free, just like community garden produce. The
> >> born computer programmers would be busy writing the software we all use on
> >> our computers (all free), then come home and pluck a couple of bell
> >> peppers to use in their dinner.

> >I think you don't know very much about human nature. *The "born
> >bullies"
> >would beat up everybody else and take what they wanted.

> >> I think it would ultimately work, but we'd have to get rid of money first,
> >> in all aspects of life.

> >Without the incentive to "get ahead", most people will do nothing, or
> >the
> >bare minimum. *A societal death spiral will quickly follow.

> Not really... been working very well for many years in Cuba. *Most of
> the planet's people exist under a regime... the obomination regime is
> ratcheting up at an ever escalating rate. *Only took a year for
> everyone in the US to have a neighbor who no longer receives a pay
> check. *Next year bread lines, remember who told you.

I guess Michigan is just on the bleeding edge of innovation. We've
been hemorrhaging jobs since long before Obama took office. The
rest of the country is just starting to catch up to us.

No, I can't blame Obama for this. He just hasn't been there long
enough.

Oh, and Shel? We exist under a regime, too, and always have.
"Regime" means "a set of conditions".

Putz.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, Omelet > posted on Tue, 16
Mar 2010 07:39:18 -0600 the following:

> In article >,
> Damaeus > wrote:
>
> > He would be the one who wants to sit around, do nothing, and tell everyone
> > else what's best because he knows. And the rest of us would all be wise
> > enough to know that he's best ignored.

> And let him starve!

Well, part of that was pandering. I guess now that I look back on it,
he'd be a philosopher. I just couldn't get today's politicians out of my
head, who so often seem like they're so out of touch with what average,
everday people really want to happen in the country and the world. They're
looking more like an oligarchy than a government /for/ the people.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, brooklyn1 > posted on
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:37:34 -0400 the following:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > Mm, true communism.

> Nope, you forgot about the dictator and the military to keep all the
> peons producing.

In times of war, that was probably true. But a world that isn't at war
with itself doesn't need a military to keep people producing video games.

> >So what if someone was a born politician? <g>

> We know that DamnAnus is a born asshole! LOL

That wasn't very nice. As far as I know, nobody who knows me personally
thinks I'm an asshole, and I also don't believe in the idea that sometimes
you need to be an asshole to be a boss. Hell, I don't even like being a
boss. Where do you get this idea that I'm a born asshole???

Damaeus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another useless ****ing match Sandwiches

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:
>In news:rec.food.cooking, brooklyn1 > posted on
>Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:37:34 -0400 the following:
>> We know that DamnAnus is a born asshole! LOL

>That wasn't very nice. As far as I know, nobody who knows me personally
>thinks I'm an asshole, and I also don't believe in the idea that sometimes
>you need to be an asshole to be a boss. Hell, I don't even like being a
>boss. Where do you get this idea that I'm a born asshole???

Are you new here? Sheldon is one of the regulars around here who likes
negative attention. A lot.

My advice is two-fold: 1) Ignore him (and the others who pull this
crap) and 2) talk about food.

And out of courtesy to the rest of the group, when the topic veers so far
off-topic, please change the subject line. Thanks.

Charlotte
For the RFC Old-Timers There-Is-No-Cabal
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:52:15 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > It happened in Russia. Why do you think Vodka is so popular there?

> No other recreation, depression. Same with Iceland.

If they are that bored, you'd think there would be a population
explosion instead. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> >Without the incentive to "get ahead", most people will do nothing, or
> >the
> >bare minimum. A societal death spiral will quickly follow.

> Not really... been working very well for many years in Cuba. Most of
> the planet's people exist under a regime... the obomination regime is
> ratcheting up at an ever escalating rate. Only took a year for
> everyone in the US to have a neighbor who no longer receives a pay
> check. Next year bread lines, remember who told you.

Fortunately, I still have a full freezer and pantry... and some assets
to invest.

I have plans.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:32:32 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:52:15 -0600, Omelet >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > It happened in Russia. Why do you think Vodka is so popular there?

> > No other recreation, depression. Same with Iceland.

> If they are that bored, you'd think there would be a population
> explosion instead. <g>

Maybe they're too drunk for that.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:34:25 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
> > >Without the incentive to "get ahead", most people will do nothing, or
> > >the
> > >bare minimum. A societal death spiral will quickly follow.

> > Not really... been working very well for many years in Cuba. Most of
> > the planet's people exist under a regime... the obomination regime is
> > ratcheting up at an ever escalating rate. Only took a year for
> > everyone in the US to have a neighbor who no longer receives a pay
> > check. Next year bread lines, remember who told you.

> Fortunately, I still have a full freezer and pantry... and some assets
> to invest.
>
> I have plans.

More importantly, the mortgage will be paid off in two years! I'm
excited for you.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:32:32 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > sf > wrote:

> > > No other recreation, depression. Same with Iceland.

> > If they are that bored, you'd think there would be a population
> > explosion instead. <g>

> Maybe they're too drunk for that.

<snicker> Most likely!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:34:25 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:

> > > Not really... been working very well for many years in Cuba. Most of
> > > the planet's people exist under a regime... the obomination regime is
> > > ratcheting up at an ever escalating rate. Only took a year for
> > > everyone in the US to have a neighbor who no longer receives a pay
> > > check. Next year bread lines, remember who told you.

> > Fortunately, I still have a full freezer and pantry... and some assets
> > to invest.
> >
> > I have plans.

> More importantly, the mortgage will be paid off in two years! I'm
> excited for you.

If I survive that long! <g> I do have assets, but they are limited.
I'm taking a couple of lucrative gambles. I'll report back much later
if they pan out.

As Thomas Edison said:

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it's usually dressed in
coveralls and looks like work"...

And, thanks! :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 23:49:33 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

> As Thomas Edison said:
>
> "Opportunity is missed by most people because it's usually dressed in
> coveralls and looks like work"...

You know what they say: When a door closes, a window opens. It's
more true than you think!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 23:49:33 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > As Thomas Edison said:
> >
> > "Opportunity is missed by most people because it's usually dressed in
> > coveralls and looks like work"...

> You know what they say: When a door closes, a window opens. It's
> more true than you think!

I'm counting on it... :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:52:15 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
>> I think you don't know very much about human nature. The "born
>> bullies"
>> would beat up everybody else and take what they wanted.
>>
>>> I think it would ultimately work, but we'd have to get rid of money first,
>>> in all aspects of life.

>> Without the incentive to "get ahead", most people will do nothing, or
>> the
>> bare minimum. A societal death spiral will quickly follow.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> It happened in Russia. Why do you think Vodka is so popular there?

....and why drinking is virtually unknown in The Land of Opportunity.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:52:15 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
> >
> >> I think you don't know very much about human nature. The "born
> >> bullies"
> >> would beat up everybody else and take what they wanted.

> >> Without the incentive to "get ahead", most people will do nothing, or
> >> the
> >> bare minimum. A societal death spiral will quickly follow.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> > It happened in Russia. Why do you think Vodka is so popular there?

> ...and why drinking is virtually unknown in The Land of Opportunity.
>
> your pal,
> blake

<laughs> Good point!

So how is that "change" working for everybody?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> In news:rec.food.cooking, "gloria.p" > posted on Mon,
> 15 Mar 2010 09:25:29 -0600 the following:

> > In order for it to work, you need people who love to grow things rather
> > than just eat. I'm convinced that gardeners are born, not made.

> That's why the gardeners would take care of the garden, but the
> electrician who works at the power plant would work to provide everyone's
> house with free electricity, then come home and pluck a tomato to use on
> his family's hamburgers that night. The guy who works at the local
> restaurant would be busy cooking (high quality) meals for people to eat
> free, then come home and pull up a couple of carrots for that night's
> salad for his family. So only those "born gardeners" would even feel
> compelled to work in the community garden. The born chefs would be at
> restaurants working. The born doctors would be at hospitals truly caring
> for patients. The born musicians would be busy creating delightful music
> for us all to listen to, all free, just like community garden produce. The
> born computer programmers would be busy writing the software we all use on
> our computers (all free), then come home and pluck a couple of bell
> peppers to use in their dinner.
>
> I think it would ultimately work, but we'd have to get rid of money first,
> in all aspects of life.

Sounds nice, but where are the people who are born to:

1. clean sewers
2. deliver mail (in the rain)
3. drive trucks long distances and never see their family
4. staff the complaint department

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damaeus wrote:

> I just couldn't get today's politicians out of my head, who so often seem
> like they're so out of touch with what average, everday people really want
> to happen in the country and the world.

I'm not sure of that at all: I think it's more that they only *use* that
information if it means getting votes.

> They're looking more like an oligarchy than a government /for/ the people.

Looks more like a plutocracy to me.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Opportunity

sf wrote:

> You know what they say: When a door closes, a window opens.

That's what stockbrokers were saying in 1929. And the window was usually on
the sixth floor or higher.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > You know what they say: When a door closes, a window opens.

> That's what stockbrokers were saying in 1929. And the window was usually on
> the sixth floor or higher.
>
> Bob

That was not very nice Bob! :-P
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

tea and sandwiches? Ole Kvaal Tea 36 15-09-2019 10:15 AM
50 Sandwiches to Eat before you Die BigBadBubba General Cooking 179 05-11-2010 04:59 PM
Recipe: Beef Sandwiches - Knock-off of Damsel's Chicago Beef Sandwiches Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 1 08-07-2007 06:52 PM
Ham Pan Sandwiches Sharon[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 11-02-2007 11:52 AM
Ice Cream Sandwiches Duckie ® Recipes 0 19-07-2005 11:21 PM