FoodBanter.com

-   -   Sandwiches (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/394592-sandwiches.html)

Dimitri 11-03-2010 08:54 PM

Sandwiches

It is my custom to smear mayonnaise on any and all pieces of bread when
making a sandwich. I dearly love the taste of Mayo.

The other day I was making a roast beef on Sourdough when I spied the
butter, yep real salted butter, sitting out on the counter.

Hmmm, so I used the butter a few slices of roast beef and some Dijon mustard
on the top slice of bread.

So bread, butter, roast beef slices from the deli, Dijon mustard and the top
of sourdough.

My oh my what a pleasant change.

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 11-03-2010 09:12 PM

Sandwiches

On Mar 11, 2:54*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> It is my custom to smear mayonnaise on any and all pieces of bread when
> making a sandwich. I dearly love the taste of Mayo.
>
> The other day I was making a roast beef on Sourdough when I spied the
> butter, yep real salted butter, sitting out on the counter.
>
> Hmmm, so I used the butter a few slices of roast beef and some Dijon mustard
> on the top slice of bread.
>
> So bread, butter, roast beef slices from the deli, Dijon mustard and the top
> of sourdough.
>
> My oh my what a pleasant change.

Beef loves butter. Pork loves lard. It only stands to reason.

Assuming you could milk a pig (and I'd be running away as fast as I
could),
I wonder what use could be made of the milk. We'll probably never
know.

Cindy Hamilton

Omelet[_7_] 11-03-2010 09:55 PM

Sandwiches

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> It is my custom to smear mayonnaise on any and all pieces of bread when
> making a sandwich. I dearly love the taste of Mayo.
>
> The other day I was making a roast beef on Sourdough when I spied the
> butter, yep real salted butter, sitting out on the counter.
>
> Hmmm, so I used the butter a few slices of roast beef and some Dijon mustard
> on the top slice of bread.
>
> So bread, butter, roast beef slices from the deli, Dijon mustard and the top
> of sourdough.
>
> My oh my what a pleasant change.

I would say both work great. Just depends on your mood! :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

aem 11-03-2010 10:12 PM

Sandwiches

On Mar 11, 11:54*am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> It is my custom to smear mayonnaise on any and all pieces of bread when
> making a sandwich. I dearly love the taste of Mayo.
>
> The other day I was making a roast beef on Sourdough when I spied the
> butter, yep real salted butter, sitting out on the counter.
> .....[snip]
> My oh my what a pleasant change.

Reminds me of how surprisingly good I found the classic afternoon tea
sandwich at Brown's in London: white bread, butter, cucumber. -
aem

Omelet[_7_] 11-03-2010 10:16 PM

Sandwiches

In article >,
Ranée at Arabian Knits > wrote:

> As far as I know, there is only one group of people that ever
> commonly drank pig milk. I can't remember who they were now,
> Phoenicians, or earlier. We studied them in ancient history. I think
> there is a reason for this. People drink cow's milk, yak's milk,
> reindeer milk, sheep's milk, goat's milk. They don't seem to want to
> have anything to do with pig's milk.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

Iirc, the Huns drank fermented mares milk?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Nancy2 11-03-2010 10:41 PM

Sandwiches

On Mar 11, 1:54*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> It is my custom to smear mayonnaise on any and all pieces of bread when
> making a sandwich. I dearly love the taste of Mayo.
>
> The other day I was making a roast beef on Sourdough when I spied the
> butter, yep real salted butter, sitting out on the counter.
>
> Hmmm, so I used the butter a few slices of roast beef and some Dijon mustard
> on the top slice of bread.
>
> So bread, butter, roast beef slices from the deli, Dijon mustard and the top
> of sourdough.
>
> My oh my what a pleasant change.
>
> --
> Dimitri
>
> Searing
>
> http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

I eat one weird sandwich with mayo - we lived on a farm when I was
growing up and have always, always had butter on sandwiches. There is
nothing like it, at least for me.

My weird one with mayo: white bread, peanut butter, crispy iceberg
lettuce (with some salt sprinkled on) and mayo. Yum.

N.

aem 11-03-2010 10:41 PM

Sandwiches

On Mar 11, 1:16 pm, Omelet > wrote:

> Iirc, the Huns drank fermented mares milk?
> --

As do the Mongols still. Horse-based cultures.....? -aem

Nancy2 11-03-2010 10:42 PM

Sandwiches

On Mar 11, 3:12*pm, aem > wrote:
> On Mar 11, 11:54*am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>
> > It is my custom to smear mayonnaise on any and all pieces of bread when
> > making a sandwich. I dearly love the taste of Mayo.

> > The other day I was making a roast beef on Sourdough when I spied the
> > butter, yep real salted butter, sitting out on the counter.
> > .....[snip]
> > My oh my what a pleasant change.

> Reminds me of how surprisingly good I found the classic afternoon tea
> sandwich at Brown's in London: *white bread, butter, cucumber. * * -
> aem

Butter with sliced radishes in a sandwich is absolutely divine. ;-)

Lou decruss 11-03-2010 11:14 PM

Sandwiches

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:41:05 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On Mar 11, 1:54*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>> It is my custom to smear mayonnaise on any and all pieces of bread when
>> making a sandwich. I dearly love the taste of Mayo.
>>
>> The other day I was making a roast beef on Sourdough when I spied the
>> butter, yep real salted butter, sitting out on the counter.
>>
>> Hmmm, so I used the butter a few slices of roast beef and some Dijon mustard
>> on the top slice of bread.
>>
>> So bread, butter, roast beef slices from the deli, Dijon mustard and the top
>> of sourdough.
>>
>> My oh my what a pleasant change.
>>
>> --
>> Dimitri
>>
>> Searing
>>
>> http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

>I eat one weird sandwich with mayo - we lived on a farm when I was
>growing up and have always, always had butter on sandwiches. There is
>nothing like it, at least for me.

Both of my parents grew up on farms too and I was raised with butter
on sandwiches. The first time I remember mayo was on a whopper. <eg>
Now I find butter on a sandwich revolting except for a home made egg
mcmuffin. We never had mayo around but there was always miracle whip.
I've never liked MW. Even if I had it wasn't something my mom made
sandwiches with.

>My weird one with mayo: white bread, peanut butter, crispy iceberg
>lettuce (with some salt sprinkled on) and mayo. Yum.

Yep. That's weird.

Lou

Omelet[_7_] 12-03-2010 01:45 AM

Sandwiches

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> My weird one with mayo: white bread, peanut butter, crispy iceberg
> lettuce (with some salt sprinkled on) and mayo. Yum.
>
> N.

My mom liked that combo. I've never been able to bring myself to try it!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Omelet[_7_] 12-03-2010 01:45 AM

Sandwiches

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Mar 11, 1:16 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> >
> > Iirc, the Huns drank fermented mares milk?
> > --

> As do the Mongols still. Horse-based cultures.....? -aem

Very likely. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Omelet[_7_] 12-03-2010 01:47 AM

Sandwiches

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> On Mar 11, 3:12*pm, aem <aem > wrote:
> > On Mar 11, 11:54*am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> >
> > > It is my custom to smear mayonnaise on any and all pieces of bread when
> > > making a sandwich. I dearly love the taste of Mayo.

> > > The other day I was making a roast beef on Sourdough when I spied the
> > > butter, yep real salted butter, sitting out on the counter.
> > > .....[snip]
> > > My oh my what a pleasant change.

> > Reminds me of how surprisingly good I found the classic afternoon tea
> > sandwich at Brown's in London: *white bread, butter, cucumber. * * -
> > aem

> Butter with sliced radishes in a sandwich is absolutely divine. ;-)

Or even on crackers! So are sliced cukes as aem said. :-d Nice
appetizers. Either Ritz or Saltines. You can also just split a radish,
stick a little cold butter on it and sprinkle it with salt and pepper
and skip the cracker or bread. It "cools" them down a bit.

I most often use radishes cooked tho'.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

lil abner 12-03-2010 02:24 AM

Sandwiches

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Mar 11, 1:54 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>> It is my custom to smear mayonnaise on any and all pieces of bread when
>> making a sandwich. I dearly love the taste of Mayo.
>>
>> The other day I was making a roast beef on Sourdough when I spied the
>> butter, yep real salted butter, sitting out on the counter.
>>
>> Hmmm, so I used the butter a few slices of roast beef and some Dijon mustard
>> on the top slice of bread.
>>
>> So bread, butter, roast beef slices from the deli, Dijon mustard and the top
>> of sourdough.
>>
>> My oh my what a pleasant change.
>>
>> --
>> Dimitri
>>
>> Searing
>>
>> http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

> I eat one weird sandwich with mayo - we lived on a farm when I was
> growing up and have always, always had butter on sandwiches. There is
> nothing like it, at least for me.
>
> My weird one with mayo: white bread, peanut butter, crispy iceberg
> lettuce (with some salt sprinkled on) and mayo. Yum.
>
> N.

Peach preserves, bologna, cheese.

Damaeus[_2_] 12-03-2010 02:30 AM

Sandwiches

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Nancy2 > posted:

> I eat one weird sandwich with mayo - we lived on a farm when I was
> growing up and have always, always had butter on sandwiches. There is
> nothing like it, at least for me.

Well, I like a hamburger bun toasted in the oven with garlic butter on it.
Drop on my pattie, the lettuce, tomato, onions...then if there's no cheese
on it, I use mayo. If there is cheese, I use mustard. Don't like the
combination of mayonnaise and cheese on the same burger, and a burger that
has mustard but no cheese seems naked to me.

> My weird one with mayo: white bread, peanut butter, crispy iceberg
> lettuce (with some salt sprinkled on) and mayo. Yum.

I like to chop deli cuts of thinly sliced turkey, chicken and beef, as
well as onions and green peppers. I saute in some butter the onions and
green peppers to get them going, then add the chopped deli meats. Once
it's good and hot, and right after the Texas Toast is, well, toasted...I
put some shredded cheese into the hot skillet just long enough to melt it
a little, then I put it on the bread and wrap it in a paper towel to make
sure nothing leaks out. :)

I suppose I could do the same thing without chopping it up so much. In
fact, next time, I'm gonna try it with whole slices of deli meat instead
of chopping it.

Damaeus

Dimitri 12-03-2010 02:34 AM

Sandwiches

"lil abner" > wrote in message

<snip>
>> I eat one weird sandwich with mayo - we lived on a farm when I was
>> growing up and have always, always had butter on sandwiches. There is
>> nothing like it, at least for me.
>>
>> My weird one with mayo: white bread, peanut butter, crispy iceberg
>> lettuce (with some salt sprinkled on) and mayo. Yum.
>>
>> N.

> Peach preserves, bologna, cheese.

Some friends who visit us here use cheese & orange marmalade?

I have not had the guts to try it though.

Damaeus[_2_] 12-03-2010 02:38 AM

Sandwiches

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Lou Decruss > posted:

> Both of my parents grew up on farms too and I was raised with butter
> on sandwiches. The first time I remember mayo was on a whopper. <eg>
> Now I find butter on a sandwich revolting except for a home made egg
> mcmuffin.

I duplicate some stuff I used to like at McDonald's, too. I still haven't
been able to perfect my biscuits, though. Before McDonald's started
having their biscuits shipped in already made, they actually rolled them
out each morning. The biscuits were much better back then, actually big
and fluffy. Now they're tough, chewy and stale when they're freshly made.
When I make my own biscuits, they're not tough, chewy or stale, but they
do tend to want to stick to my mouth. If I had a dry mouth problem, I
could imagine them sticking to the roof of my mouth quite easily.

What I want is some way to make a rectangular scrambled egg portion I can
fold over a slice of cheese to add with my sausage pattie on a biscuit.
When I worked for McDonald's 23 years ago, we had these metal compartments
we'd put on the grill, then we'd pour the beaten eggs (yes we actually had
real eggs in the store back then, not egg liquid in a carton like they
have today) into the compartments and they'd cook into perfect rectangles
we'd fold onto a biscuit. I don't recall how or even if we'd flip the
eggs to cook them on both sides. I didn't work breakfast for too long
before I quit that lousy job.

Damaeus

Damaeus[_2_] 12-03-2010 02:38 AM

Sandwiches

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Omelet > posted:

> In article
> >,
> Nancy2 > wrote:
>
> > My weird one with mayo: white bread, peanut butter, crispy iceberg
> > lettuce (with some salt sprinkled on) and mayo. Yum.

> My mom liked that combo. I've never been able to bring myself to try it!

I thought peanut butter and banana was bad. I saw my roommate/friend
making that a while back and at first glance thought he must have scraped
something out of a dirty diaper.

Damaeus

pavane[_3_] 12-03-2010 02:44 AM

Sandwiches

"Dimitri" > wrote in message ...
| "lil abner" > wrote in message
|
| <snip>
| >> I eat one weird sandwich with mayo - we lived on a farm when I was
| >> growing up and have always, always had butter on sandwiches. There is
| >> nothing like it, at least for me.
| >>
| >> My weird one with mayo: white bread, peanut butter, crispy iceberg
| >> lettuce (with some salt sprinkled on) and mayo. Yum.
| >>
| >> N.
| > Peach preserves, bologna, cheese.
|
| Some friends who visit us here use cheese & orange marmalade?
|
| I have not had the guts to try it though.
| --
| Dimitri

My mother, who died recently at age 93, had these every morning. She
called the mixture "marmaduke" or "marmaluke." Really pretty good.
http://recipes.lovetoknow.com/wiki/O...andwich_Recipe

pavane

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 12-03-2010 05:07 AM

Sandwiches

Ranee mentioned:

> As far as I know, there is only one group of people that ever
> commonly drank pig milk. I can't remember who they were now,
> Phoenicians, or earlier. We studied them in ancient history. I think
> there is a reason for this. People drink cow's milk, yak's milk,
> reindeer milk, sheep's milk, goat's milk. They don't seem to want to
> have anything to do with pig's milk.

Reminded me of the "hamster milk" commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmULq4dgQvY

Bob

lil abner 12-03-2010 06:25 AM

Sandwiches

pavane wrote:
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message ...
> | "lil abner" > wrote in message
> |
> | <snip>

> | > Peach preserves, bologna, cheese.
> |
> | Some friends who visit us here use cheese & orange marmalade?
> |
> | I have not had the guts to try it though.
> | --
> | Dimitri
>
> My mother, who died recently at age 93, had these every morning. She
> called the mixture "marmaduke" or "marmaluke." Really pretty good.
> http://recipes.lovetoknow.com/wiki/O...andwich_Recipe
>
> pavane

I also love pear prserves with cheese, bologna, cheese, lettuce.
The pear preserves are great by themselves between hot home made bread.
The pear preserves, with a little cinnamon have a firm texture and
powerful flavor.

sf[_9_] 12-03-2010 07:12 AM

Sandwiches

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:54:56 -0800, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

> It is my custom to smear mayonnaise on any and all pieces of bread when
> making a sandwich. I dearly love the taste of Mayo.
>
> The other day I was making a roast beef on Sourdough when I spied the
> butter, yep real salted butter, sitting out on the counter.
>
> Hmmm, so I used the butter a few slices of roast beef and some Dijon mustard
> on the top slice of bread.
>
> So bread, butter, roast beef slices from the deli, Dijon mustard and the top
> of sourdough.
>
> My oh my what a pleasant change.

How British of you!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

sf[_9_] 12-03-2010 07:19 AM

Sandwiches

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 00:25:58 -0500, lil abner > wrote:

> I also love pear prserves with cheese, bologna, cheese, lettuce.
> The pear preserves are great by themselves between hot home made bread.
> The pear preserves, with a little cinnamon have a firm texture and
> powerful flavor.

Do you make your own pear preserves?

Steve Pope 12-03-2010 10:54 AM

Sandwiches

Recent sandwiches:

Grilled tofu, hummus, avocado, and lettuce.

Hot mango chutney and tofurkey.

Cream cheese and any jelly/preserve (Blueberry is fine)

Steve

biig 12-03-2010 02:35 PM

Sandwiches

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:41:05 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mar 11, 1:54 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>>> It is my custom to smear mayonnaise on any and all pieces of bread when
>>> making a sandwich. I dearly love the taste of Mayo.
>>>
>>> The other day I was making a roast beef on Sourdough when I spied the
>>> butter, yep real salted butter, sitting out on the counter.
>>>
>>> Hmmm, so I used the butter a few slices of roast beef and some Dijon
>>> mustard
>>> on the top slice of bread.
>>>
>>> So bread, butter, roast beef slices from the deli, Dijon mustard and the
>>> top
>>> of sourdough.
>>>
>>> My oh my what a pleasant change.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dimitri
>>>
>>> Searing
>>>
>>> http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

>>I eat one weird sandwich with mayo - we lived on a farm when I was
>>growing up and have always, always had butter on sandwiches. There is
>>nothing like it, at least for me.

> Both of my parents grew up on farms too and I was raised with butter
> on sandwiches. The first time I remember mayo was on a whopper. <eg>
> Now I find butter on a sandwich revolting except for a home made egg
> mcmuffin. We never had mayo around but there was always miracle whip.
> I've never liked MW. Even if I had it wasn't something my mom made
> sandwiches with.
>>
>>My weird one with mayo: white bread, peanut butter, crispy iceberg
>>lettuce (with some salt sprinkled on) and mayo. Yum.

> Yep. That's weird.
>
> Lou

I like butter, then peanut butter then thin slices of sweet
onion...yum...from my childhood....Sharon

biig 12-03-2010 02:41 PM

Sandwiches

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> | "lil abner" > wrote in message
> |
> | <snip>
> is

> | > Peach preserves, bologna, cheese.
> |
> | Some friends who visit us here use cheese & orange marmalade?
> |
> | I have not had the guts to try it though.
> | --
> | Dimitri
>
> My mother, who died recently at age 93, had these every morning. She
> called the mixture "marmaduke" or "marmaluke." Really pretty good.
> http://recipes.lovetoknow.com/wiki/O...andwich_Recipe
>
> pavane

At a funeral lunch put on by the Women's Church Group, there were
sandwiches with cream cheese and chopped marachino cherries, cut into
strips/fingers. Very tasty.....Sharon

Omelet[_7_] 12-03-2010 03:29 PM

Sandwiches

In article >, lil abner >
wrote:

> Nancy2 wrote:
> > On Mar 11, 1:54 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> >
> > My weird one with mayo: white bread, peanut butter, crispy iceberg
> > lettuce (with some salt sprinkled on) and mayo. Yum.
> >
> > N.

> Peach preserves, bologna, cheese.

That one actually sounds tasty. :-) I like some fruits with meat. I
sometimes use jellies or jams as meat glazes.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Omelet[_7_] 12-03-2010 03:31 PM

Sandwiches

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> Some friends who visit us here use cheese & orange marmalade?
>
> I have not had the guts to try it though.
> --
> Dimitri

Jelly and cheese is good! Especially cream cheese.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Melba's Jammin' 12-03-2010 04:47 PM

Sandwiches

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> I thought peanut butter and banana was bad.

Have you ever tasted the pb-banana sandwich? Better than it sounds.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Dimitri 12-03-2010 05:52 PM

Sandwiches

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:54:56 -0800, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>> It is my custom to smear mayonnaise on any and all pieces of bread when
>> making a sandwich. I dearly love the taste of Mayo.
>>
>> The other day I was making a roast beef on Sourdough when I spied the
>> butter, yep real salted butter, sitting out on the counter.
>>
>> Hmmm, so I used the butter a few slices of roast beef and some Dijon
>> mustard
>> on the top slice of bread.
>>
>> So bread, butter, roast beef slices from the deli, Dijon mustard and the
>> top
>> of sourdough.
>>
>> My oh my what a pleasant change.

> How British of you!
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Say What?

Nancy2 12-03-2010 06:31 PM

Sandwiches

On Mar 11, 7:38*pm, Damaeus > wrote:
> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> Lou Decruss > posted:
>
> > Both of my parents grew up on farms too and I was raised with butter
> > on sandwiches. *The first time I remember mayo was on a whopper. <eg>
> > Now I find butter on a sandwich revolting except for a home made egg
> > mcmuffin.

> I duplicate some stuff I used to like at McDonald's, too. *I still haven't
> been able to perfect my biscuits, though. *Before McDonald's started
> having their biscuits shipped in already made, they actually rolled them
> out each morning. *The biscuits were much better back then, actually big
> and fluffy. *Now they're tough, chewy and stale when they're freshly made.
> When I make my own biscuits, they're not tough, chewy or stale, but they
> do tend to want to stick to my mouth. *If I had a dry mouth problem, I
> could imagine them sticking to the roof of my mouth quite easily.
>
> What I want is some way to make a rectangular scrambled egg portion I can
> fold over a slice of cheese to add with my sausage pattie on a biscuit.
> When I worked for McDonald's 23 years ago, we had these metal compartments
> we'd put on the grill, then we'd pour the beaten eggs (yes we actually had
> real eggs in the store back then, not egg liquid in a carton like they
> have today) into the compartments and they'd cook into perfect rectangles
> we'd fold onto a biscuit. *I don't recall how or even if we'd flip the
> eggs to cook them on both sides. *I didn't work breakfast for too long
> before I quit that lousy job.
>
> Damaeus

I think Hardee's biscuits are absolutely the best - I've tried every
variation of copy cat recipes, and nothing is the same. There isn't
even a Hardee's within 5 miles of me, but I still go there for
biscuits.

N.

sf[_9_] 12-03-2010 07:53 PM

Sandwiches

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:52:34 -0800, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:54:56 -0800, "Dimitri" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> It is my custom to smear mayonnaise on any and all pieces of bread when
> >> making a sandwich. I dearly love the taste of Mayo.
> >>
> >> The other day I was making a roast beef on Sourdough when I spied the
> >> butter, yep real salted butter, sitting out on the counter.
> >>
> >> Hmmm, so I used the butter a few slices of roast beef and some Dijon
> >> mustard
> >> on the top slice of bread.
> >>
> >> So bread, butter, roast beef slices from the deli, Dijon mustard and the
> >> top
> >> of sourdough.
> >>
> >> My oh my what a pleasant change.

> > How British of you!
> >
> > --
> > I love cooking with wine.
> > Sometimes I even put it in the food.

> Say What?

Using butter instead of mayo.

Dimitri 12-03-2010 09:34 PM

Sandwiches

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:52:34 -0800, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > How British of you!
>> >
>> > --
>> > I love cooking with wine.
>> > Sometimes I even put it in the food.

>> Say What?

> Using butter instead of mayo.

Jolly Good you know.

Dimitri

Dimitri 12-03-2010 09:34 PM

Sandwiches

sf[_9_] 12-03-2010 10:43 PM

Sandwiches

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:34:16 -0800, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

> Jolly Good you know.

<sf tipping derby at Dimitri>

--

Never hold a Dust-Buster and a cat at the same time.

Damaeus[_2_] 12-03-2010 10:52 PM

Sandwiches

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Melba's Jammin' > posted:

> In article >,
> Damaeus > wrote:
>
> > I thought peanut butter and banana was bad.

> Have you ever tasted the pb-banana sandwich? Better than it sounds.

I'm not a huge fan of bananas. I'll eat one every now and then, but
they're not my favorite. My favorite fruits are plums (if they're still
as firm as nectarines with a hint of sourness, but not lacking in
sweetness), and I like nectarines. I also like raspberries and
strawberries, but only if they're very fresh. Nothing sucks worse than
thinking I have a good container of berries only to get them home and find
I brought a whole new civilization with me.

Damaeus

Nancy2 12-03-2010 11:09 PM

Sandwiches

On Mar 11, 6:45*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Nancy2 > wrote:
> > My weird one with mayo: *white bread, peanut butter, crispy iceberg
> > lettuce (with some salt sprinkled on) and mayo. *Yum.

> > N.

> My mom liked that combo. *I've never been able to bring myself to try it!
> --
> Peace! Om

I wonder if it was featured in a magazine or something - I don't think
I would ever have come up with it on my own, but I don't remember why
I tried it - I was pretty young - junior high maybe....

N.

Damaeus[_2_] 12-03-2010 11:12 PM

Sandwiches

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Andy > posted:

> Damaeus > wrote:
>
> > Well, I like a hamburger bun toasted in the oven with garlic butter on
> > it. Drop on my pattie, the lettuce, tomato, onions...then if there's
> > no cheese on it, I use mayo. If there is cheese, I use mustard.
> > Don't like the combination of mayonnaise and cheese on the same
> > burger, and a burger that has mustard but no cheese seems naked to me.

> I've never garlic-buttered and baked a burger bun but I've added garlic
> powder to burgers.

I made hamburgers for my sister's family once. They seemed amazed and
remarked about the wonderful flavor. The only thing I did to the
hamburger patty was use salt, pepper, and garlic powder. The buns were
buttered with a mixture of softened butter (salted) and garlic powder.
Nothing special there, but garlic does add a lot to a burger's flavor, and
it sure seemed to impress the hell out of them as their eyes rolled back
in their heads with pleasure and delight.

I was shocked when my dad told me I make a "killer pizza". Knowing he
loves meat, I made one with ground beef, black forest ham, bacon, and
Eckrich skinless smoked sausage, which I had cut up and sauteed to get rid
of some of the grease. Normally my dad always had to say my mom was a
better cook, because she was his wife! lol

> My burgers have to have Dijon and American, Jack or Cheddar. Sometimes
> I'll put out little bowls of pesto, guacamole and medium salsa verde (the
> "three greens"), picking and choosing on a bite by bite basis.
>
> For chicken sandwiches it's MiracleWhip, lettuce, no cheese, sometimes
> avocado slices, sometimes dotted with Cholula on whole wheat toast.

Are you talking about the fried chicken patties or chicken deli meat? On
fried chicken sandwiches, whole wheat, mayo, lettuce, tomato. I dunno..
the combination used by Whataburger just works for me, except I think they
do use a white bun, not wheat.

> My "Green Death" tuna sandwiches combined a 12 oz. can of solid-white
> albacore (in water) brought to desired gloppiness with a large Hass
> avocado mashed and a little Miracle Whip, minced celery and shallot,
> served on whole wheat toast with American cheese.

Good grief. Well, on my tuna sandwiches, or on any sandwich, really, I
love to include onion sprouts. Oh man, that adds a whole new dimension to
a sandwich!

> Then there's the grilled cheese, avocado and bacon sandwich. Sometimes
> French toast grilled in Monte Cristo style.

I've never really liked /just/ avocado by itself. But I do make a dip
with avocado, cream cheese, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, and
salt to taste, all in a food processor until smooth. If you want to thin
it out some, a little cream or milk can be added.

> PB&Js of course.
>
> Scrambled egg (showered liberally with fresh cracked white pepper) and
> cheese sandwich in between two slices of buttered toast.

I like that on an English muffin. In fact, I like English muffins just
buttered with jelly on them.

> I don't remember it but I was told that I'd combine my mashed potatoes
> and steak and put that between two slices of buttered toast. That only
> worked with the babysitters!

I don't typically like mashed potatoes and bread in the same meal. I also
like my mashed potatoes smooth and fluffy. While boiling potatoes, I keep
cream and a stick of butter on low heat on the side. I put the boiled
potatoes into the stand mixer with a wire whisk and then add the hot cream
and butter. My mashed potatoes are wetter than what I've ever seen in
anybody's restaurant. I've read that overwhipping mashed potatoes can
make them gluey, but that never happens to mine, no matter how long I whip
them. With mine, the longer you whip them, the fluffier they get.

> Philly cheesesteak with fried onions and American cheese only, on a soft
> untoasted Amoroso hoagie roll. If I made it, I'd add avocado! Might as
> well get some good fat along with all the other greasy goodness. :)

Is that what Philly cheeseteak uses, American cheese? Or is that your
preference? I'll just use whatever cheese I have around, but I do like
using mozzarella for that if I've got some. I do like to make a ham and
cheese sandwich in the oven using simply ham that I've torn and layered
with swirls, then I carefully tuck shredded mozzarella into the curls and
loops in the ham layers. I then put it in the oven, though I can't give a
temperature. I'm still working on a perfect temperature. Probably good
to start with a low temperature, then turn on the broiler for a few second
to give the edges of the ham a little bit of crunch without making the
whole thing tough. After it comes out, I put something on it like some
lettuce, onion, sometimes with some kind of dressing, often without. When
I get subs at Subway, I often get them without dressing, much to the
surprise of the cook.

Damaeus

Damaeus[_2_] 12-03-2010 11:28 PM

Sandwiches

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
Nancy2 > posted:

> On Mar 11, 7:38+AKA-pm, Damaeus > wrote:
>
> > I duplicate some stuff I used to like at McDonald's, too. +AKA-I still haven't
> > been able to perfect my biscuits, though. +AKA-Before McDonald's started
> > having their biscuits shipped in already made, they actually rolled them
> > out each morning. +AKA-The biscuits were much better back then, actually big
> > and fluffy. +AKA-Now they're tough, chewy and stale when they're freshly made.
> > When I make my own biscuits, they're not tough, chewy or stale, but they
> > do tend to want to stick to my mouth. +AKA-If I had a dry mouth problem, I
> > could imagine them sticking to the roof of my mouth quite easily.

> I think Hardee's biscuits are absolutely the best - I've tried every
> variation of copy cat recipes, and nothing is the same. There isn't
> even a Hardee's within 5 miles of me, but I still go there for
> biscuits.

There used to be one here back before they switched over to
"flame-broiled" patties. I live in Texas, but ate at one in Tennessee,
and one in Dallas. I don't like them as much now, but I always did like
their biscuit and graviy. Now they taste like Burger King. Before they
had their own, unique flavor. My favorite was always the Big Deluxe.

Interesting how Hardee's has or had a BBQ Thickburger with Texas
Toothpicks, yet when I enter zip codes for Dallas and Houston, the closest
Hardee's are in Louisiana and Arkansas, 140-220 miles away. Plus they
have the Texas Toast breakfast selections. It makes me want to write them
a letter and tell them that if they cannot put Hardee's back in Texas,
they should remove all traces of Texas from their menu. Well, it would be
a jab, of course. I don't hate freedom enough to actually be serious
about it, but I do wish there were still Hardee's locations in Texas. Even
the one I knew about in the Dallas area, which I think was on Beltline
Road, is now gone.

Damaeus

Phyllis Stone 12-03-2010 11:37 PM

Sandwiches

"Damaeus" > wrote in message

> I don't typically like mashed potatoes and bread in the same meal. I also
> like my mashed potatoes smooth and fluffy. While boiling potatoes, I keep
> cream and a stick of butter on low heat on the side. I put the boiled
> potatoes into the stand mixer with a wire whisk and then add the hot cream
> and butter. My mashed potatoes are wetter than what I've ever seen in
> anybody's restaurant. I've read that overwhipping mashed potatoes can
> make them gluey, but that never happens to mine, no matter how long I whip
> them. With mine, the longer you whip them, the fluffier they get.
>>

> Damaeus

Someone on a cooking show simmered their yukon gold potatoes in cream. I
want to try that. As to sandwiches I will stand by my peanut butter and
pickle sandwich.

Melba's Jammin' 12-03-2010 11:55 PM

Sandwiches

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> Melba's Jammin' > posted:
>
> > In article >,
> > Damaeus > wrote:
> >
> > > I thought peanut butter and banana was bad.

> > Have you ever tasted the pb-banana sandwich? Better than it sounds.

> I'm not a huge fan of bananas. I'll eat one every now and then, but
> they're not my favorite. My favorite fruits are plums (if they're still
> as firm as nectarines with a hint of sourness, but not lacking in
> sweetness), and I like nectarines. I also like raspberries and
> strawberries, but only if they're very fresh. Nothing sucks worse than
> thinking I have a good container of berries only to get them home and find
> I brought a whole new civilization with me.
>
> Damaeus

Understood.