Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Regarding year-round schooling

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> atec 77 <"atec 77 > wrote:
>
>>> Foreign imported labor (Mexicans) and that was NOT meant to be a racist
>>> comment. It's all too common in Texas and is becoming more common nation
>>> wide. Telephone/Cable services are mostly educated white people, but
>>> things like construction, concrete laying, masonry, yard work etc. is
>>> nearly 100% Mexican labor around here.

>> Well there it is
>> the root of the economy you had and why it weak
>> We had some a/h suggest we import labour to assist because it was
>> cheaper ( in the long term it aint) and that spurred a new training
>> boost , tradesmen like electricians and builders making 120k a year and
>> more and that's why the Au economy is a little better off atm . Perhaps
>> if your comment is accurate then fencing the border and training the
>> natives would assist your recovery ?

> Try to convince the powers in charge of that.
>
> Part of the ugly truth is that, as far as physical labor goes, American
> kids tend to be lazy.

We have a few of those over here , you want some more ?

> I hate to type that, but it's the bloody truth.

I work hard for my living planning for a loonng and healthy retirement ,
no one will offer me an easy way of getting that so there is only one
choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "Bob Terwilliger" wrote
>
>> I agree with Obama that kids should go to school year-round in order
>> to be academically competitive with kids from other countries. I don't
>> think kids

> Obama looks to costs of childcare, not extended actual education.
>
>> advocate for a program which only sends GIFTED kids to school beyond
>> the eighth grade. What good does a Master's Degree do a cab driver?
>> Why should someone destined to be a factory worker have to write a
>> term paper on the Norman Conquest?

>> By "gifted" I mean kids who achieve fairly-high (say the top 25
>> percent) scores on standardized tests. Non-gifted kids would
>> immediately go into some kind of vocational training (say, as
>> toolmakers). It's an obvious waste of resources to teach kids who
>> can't or won't learn; those resources would be better used to give the
>> kind of training which *will* be used by those kids.

> Who determines in advance that a child can not use the training? That
> they aren't 'gifted enough' to be eligible ever for attending college
> due to lack of exposure to even algebra and geometry classes in HS?
>
>> I think today's attitude that kids' feelings have to be given
>> paramount importance is a total crock of shit. It is NOT true that all
>> children are gifted. It is NOT true that a kid "can do anything he or
>> she wants."

> No and it never was, but you give them a chance, not short stop it at
> 8th grade for the rest of their life either.

The very reason we have advanced sufficiently to poison ourselves with
the development is a reasonable level of education , there is a leaving
age of at least 15 in my country for a reason and education must be
taken under 17 years on compulsion for the very same reason unless
working , it's pointless having an under educated cab driver who can
barely read or conduct his business where as obviously some bankers can
do neither
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 21:18:04 +1000, atec 77 wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
>> It's nice to offer shop classes, but we gave up our manufacturing
>> industry a long time ago in favor of white collar jobs.
>>

> I couldn't agree less
> how do you think all the services like the telephone and roof you
> sleep under get in place ?

We import Mexicans.

I used to work for a roofing company and none of the contract
laborers spoke English. If you spoke moderate English, you were the
crew foreman.

Same with the people running telephone lines. Who built the
railroads?

If you're a lazy and or dumb White American, you're pretty much
doomed.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 05:55:55 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote
>> I would advocate for a program which only sends GIFTED kids to school
>> beyond the eighth grade. What good does a Master's Degree do a cab driver?
>> Why should someone destined to be a factory worker have to write a term
>> paper on the Norman Conquest?

> Why not go one more step and have the child's future occupation determined
> at birth? That would eliminate shortages in certain labor areas.

No,. no. no. We determine that *before* birth and start
conditioning them as fetuses.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Costco membership

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:24:40 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> Basically, these teachers make a really good wage for 10 months or
> they earn a decent wage all year and get a paid vacation.

After years of negotiation, starting pay for teachers is in the range
of starting salaries for college graduates who go into jobs that
require a college diploma.

People aspire to earn a wage that will allow a family of four to live
without supplementation. That means paying for a home of 800-1000 sq
feet on a small lot and being able to pay it off in 30 years. I will
be the first to say that teachers in California have decent wages...
if they live in an area where average home prices are $200K, which is
not reality in my area. Here in SF, if there is another wage earner
or four in the house they might be able to afford rent, save and have
a social life.

> Either way, their annual pay is a lot more than I make, so I don't see
> that they have much to complain about.

I don't think you are working a job that requires a college degree.
Teaching in California requires a college degree plus 30 education
units.

Historically in the United States, there have been lots of people who
made it big with little formal education - but they didn't do it
working for somebody else. I am rooting for your success in your
"other" job.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:40:35 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> Years ago, my job went on strike. One of my best friends worked for
> the same company at a different location. He was on shift when the
> strike started, and was forced to leave during his shift. Because of
> this, he applied for unemployment and received it because he was
> locked out and not on strike. He also received strike pay. Later, he
> was forced to pay back the unemployment because he had accepted the
> strike pay too.

I'm assuming strike pay was better, otherwise he would have paid it
back and kept the unemployment. Was the union advising him on this
issue? Did he think to ask them???? That's what they are there for!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:14:31 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> or the word "the" as I tend to type it as "teh".

I don't know why that's so common. Frequently used letters were
purposely put in the "left hand's" area to slow down typers. If it's
slowing us down, then why is that such a common typo? Thank goodness
for spell check.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote
>> Actually, they do. My son (I think DD does too) has six weeks
>> vacation now. I imagine he'll get 8 weeks with his next promotion.
>>

> He may, but most traditional jobs don't. I've been at my job for 21
> years (today, actually is the anniversary). And I get 4 weeks of paid
> vacation. I can take unpaid time, but 4 weeks is the maximum paid
> vacation for somebody who isn't a store manager or higher. The
> contract is 1 week after 1 year, 2 weeks after 2 years, 3 weeks after
> 5 years, and 4 weeks after 12 years. And that's it.

Most companies max out at about 4 weeks. I don't know how much vacation I
get. I never asked. Nor to I keep track of what I take, but I've never
taken more than two weeks in a row.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 20:39:51 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 11:50:47 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I used to have a photo I took years ago while riding up a ski mountain
> >> gondola. There was a sign posted up high, No bump jumping You will
> >> loose your lift ticket. I went from wondering what the heck bump
> >> jumping was to picturing someone's ticket falling off if they did it.

> > The "bumps" are moguls, if you didn't figure it out.
> >

> As opposed to hump jumping :-)

I haven't heard them called humps (my kids don't ski or at least they
don't talk about it)... but considering this day and age and how our
language has been taken to the next level, I guess so.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 20:39:51 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 11:50:47 -0500, "Nancy Young"

>>> The "bumps" are moguls, if you didn't figure it out.
>>>

>> As opposed to hump jumping :-)

> I haven't heard them called humps (my kids don't ski or at least they
> don't talk about it)... but considering this day and age and how our
> language has been taken to the next level, I guess so.

I suggest that you not ask the kids if they have ever done any hump jumping.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:52:45 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 05:55:55 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote
>>> I would advocate for a program which only sends GIFTED kids to school
>>> beyond the eighth grade. What good does a Master's Degree do a cab driver?
>>> Why should someone destined to be a factory worker have to write a term
>>> paper on the Norman Conquest?

>> Why not go one more step and have the child's future occupation determined
>> at birth? That would eliminate shortages in certain labor areas.

>No,. no. no. We determine that *before* birth and start
>conditioning them as fetuses.
>
>-sw

Hey don't joke, they almost have the technology now to do that.

They're were talking about a test they can give a fetuses which will
determine if it is a candidate for serious illnesses in it's lifetime
according to genetics. This this then will be supplied to the parents,
and they can decide to abort or not. If not then their insurance rates
would be considerably higher , that is "if" they can get insurance
because of the risk brought forward by the test.

It's like big brother all over again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

>>> It IS the most common mis-spelling on the internet...

>> More common than your/you're or their/they're ??

> At least as often as "alot" (not to be confused with "alittle" ??)
> Too many people have NO clue that "alot" is wrong.

Are you saying that's not alright?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 17:33:00 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 11:50:47 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I used to have a photo I took years ago while riding up a ski
> >> mountain gondola. There was a sign posted up high, No bump jumping
> >> You will loose your lift ticket. I went from wondering what the
> >> heck bump jumping was to picturing someone's ticket falling off if
> >> they did it.

> > The "bumps" are moguls, if you didn't figure it out.

> Why feel the need to tell people about them high up on a pole
> only to be seen by people on a lift? And what good are moguls
> if you can't jump them?

I imagine they tell people on a lift not to jump the bumps because
they have more time to digest the information and might remember it
coming down on skis. As to why they aren't supposed to jump moguls, I
have no idea. Not enough ski patrol to come after every wannabe hog
dogger who breaks a leg? I dunno. I don't even know what ski resort
you're talking about, I haven't seen signs like that.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 10:38*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:45:02 -0500, George wrote:

> > Nothing to do with being jealous. Just getting tired of folks who have a
> > 15 week paid vacation, great benefits and a salary comparable to private
> > enterprise assuming the same educational level complaining how bad they
> > have it. Do you just imagine that folks who work in private enterprise
> > hang around the coffee pot all day and have zero stress and
> > responsibility?

> no, but i do imagine that folks in private enterprise don't face six sets
> of thirty yammering kids every day.

Doesn't mean they don't have their own share of stress.

Most days, I have only have a few bad customers. But some days can be
really bad with customers swearing at us, treating us like we are
dirt. Years ago, my manager was so bad that I would get sick before
work every day that I knew she would be there. I would feel sick
during the first 2 hours, and then fine once she left. I actually
requested lower hours so that I could get through it. My only other
options were to transfer or quit, and I had been there much longer
than her. It took a long time, but I did win on the important issues.

But really, most people have stress in their jobs. Even if they love
their job, there are still bad days and daily things that make a day
harder. Most of us know that no job is easy and fun all the time. We
consider the pros and cons and decide whether we want to keep doing
that job. Teachers know there will be extra hours. They know they will
work with kids and deal with unhappy parents. That's the nature of the
job.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 7:01*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:24:40 -0800 (PST), "
>
> > wrote:
> > Basically, these teachers make a really good wage for 10 months or
> > they earn a decent wage all year and get a paid vacation.

> After years of negotiation, starting pay for teachers is in the range
> of starting salaries for college graduates who go into jobs that
> require a college diploma. *
>
> People aspire to earn a wage that will allow a family of four to live
> without supplementation. *That means paying for a home of 800-1000 sq
> feet on a small lot and being able to pay it off in 30 years. *I will
> be the first to say that teachers in California have decent wages...
> if they live in an area where average home prices are $200K, which is
> not reality in my area. * Here in SF, if there is another wage earner
> or four in the house they might be able to afford rent, save and have
> a social life. *
>

> > Either way, their annual pay is a lot more than I make, so I don't see
> > that they have much to complain about.

> I don't think you are working a job that requires a college degree.
> Teaching in California requires a college degree plus 30 education
> units.

True. Though I do have an AA degree, and I left college as a senior. I
majored in physics and astronomy, and while I passed all the required
classes, I did not get the minimum required in the calculus and
differential equations classes, so I would have to retake them again
to graduate. I took the one class 5 times, passed 5 times, but I got a
1.9 3 times and needed a 2.0. I got so burned out on math that I
finally called it quits. I realized later that I was so sleep deprived
that I just couldn't get it. Back then, my classes were all in the
morning, and I was working part time to pay my tuition. So, I was only
getting 4-5 hours of sleep per night. If I could redo it, I would do
it very differently.

> Historically in the United States, there have been lots of people who
> made it big with little formal education - but they didn't do it
> working for somebody else. *I am rooting for your success in your
> "other" job. *

Thanks. It is picking up this year. Just had a great show on Saturday.
I have another one in 2 weeks. A new venue for me, so it should be
good. Some of the people will be those I already know, but it is about
2 hours further south than I have gone, so there should be a good
number of new customers for me too. Last year was really tough with
the economy being down, but I added some new products, and the last
couple shows improved. This year, I have done 4 shows so far, and all
have been very good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 7:05*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:40:35 -0800 (PST), "
>
> > wrote:
> > Years ago, my job went on strike. One of my best friends worked for
> > the same company at a different location. He was on shift when the
> > strike started, and was forced to leave during his shift. Because of
> > this, he applied for unemployment and received it because he was
> > locked out and not on strike. He also received strike pay. Later, he
> > was forced to pay back the unemployment because he had accepted the
> > strike pay too.

> I'm assuming strike pay was better, otherwise he would have paid it
> back and kept the unemployment. *Was the union advising him on this
> issue? *Did he think to ask them???? *That's what they are there for!
>
> --

I'm not sure how much the unemployment was. The strike pay was $90 a
week for him (he was lucky as he was just promoted from courtesy
clerk, so everybody, except courtesy clerks got $90 a week. For the
other people who did it too, the unemployment would have been higher
since most of them were higher up and working better hours. The union
told them they could do it and didn't warn them that they may have to
pay it back.

I was a junior in high school, and I had planned to not picket. But
the union told me I would lose my job. So I picketed the required 20
hours per week for a lousy $40, only to see all the people who didn't
picket (and even some of the scabs) come back to work after the strike
with no problem. 13 weeks, and we accepted a contract that was worse
then the one they offered us before we went on strike. It was a lousy
experience.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 7:54*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:14:31 -0800 (PST), "
>
> > wrote:
> > or the word "the" as I tend to type it as "teh".

> I don't know why that's so common. *Frequently used letters were
> purposely put in the "left hand's" area to slow down typers. *If it's
> slowing us down, then why is that such a common typo? *Thank goodness
> for spell check.
>
> --

I do not use correct typing methods. I use 3 fingers on my right hand
and two on my left hand. I suppose you could call it a fast hunt and
peck, though I don't have to hunt. I can do it without looking most of
the time. I just don't like using all my fingers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 03:31:25 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Ed wrote:
>
>>> I would advocate for a program which only sends GIFTED kids to school
>>> beyond the eighth grade. What good does a Master's Degree do a cab
>>> driver? Why should someone destined to be a factory worker have to write
>>> a term paper on the Norman Conquest?

>> Why not go one more step and have the child's future occupation determined
>> at birth? That would eliminate shortages in certain labor areas.

>Because there's no way to determine aptitude at birth, and talent frequently
>shows up in unexpected places.
>
>Bob

Sure it does, Bob, but sometimes the talent shows up in high school or
college. I wouldn't advocate limiting any child from any educational
pursuit if they want to try. You never know where you will find
genius whether gifted of not.

Ron Kelley
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Public School Teacher Compensation was Costco membership

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:47:33 +1100, Krypsis >
wrote:

> None of the
> primary and secondary schools focus entirely on religious studies as
> that would be a breach of state and federal laws.

They can do whatever they want (as far as I know), but they do try to
follow state and federal educational guidelines because they want
their students to be prepared to qualify for college. As with any
other school, the higher percentage of students that are accepted to
college, the higher they rate as far as parents (who want their
children to go to college) are concerned.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:59:31 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> On Feb 28, 12:00*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:37:22 -0800, Ran e at Arabian Knits
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > * Religious schools don't usually cost that much, neither to any but
> > > the East coast style prep schools. *High school is more expensive, but
> > > at the elementary level anyway, it was usually $5000-10,000 a year for
> > > the first student, less for Catholic school.

> > You and a number of others here like to call religious schools
> > private, but they are religious. *You pay less because it's being
> > underwritten by the church.
> >

> No, it costs less, because teachers are paid less, parents are
> involved with volunteering and fund raisers. They don't spends as much
> on sports. Students have to pay for their own uniforms, etc when
> participating in sports.
>
> These schools are accountable to the parents, so they don't waste as
> much money as the public schools do.

Listen to yourself. That's crazy.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 00:42:04 +1100, Krypsis >

>> In this country, ALL private schools are to some degree ALSO
>> underwritten by the Federal Government. That includes religious
>> schools.

Yep

> Thanks to those very tax payers who say they don't want new taxes.
> If they had their way, the JQ Tax Payer would also be giving them
> vouchers for the privilege of leaving public school.

I think that federal funding of religious schools has very little
to do with any taxpayer intent; it is there because of empire-
building and feature-creep on the part of federal education
bureaucrats.

> If you can't afford tuition, you shouldn't be there and if
> the church can't afford to underwrite you, they shouldn't be
> in the business of education.

A relative sent her child to Catholic school, paying sub-normal
tuition in exchange for doing a lot of sometimes menial labor
at the school. (While also holding a fulltime but modest paying job.)
By any normal measure she couldn't afford Catholic school
for her kid, but she found a way to make it happen.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Meghan wrote:

> Most days, I have only have a few bad customers. But some days can be
> really bad with customers swearing at us, treating us like we are dirt.

I'll be working in Iraq this summer, in a location which gets attacked by
mortar fire a couple times a week.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Meghan wrote:

> I majored in physics and astronomy, and while I passed all the required
> classes, I did not get the minimum required in the calculus and
> differential equations classes, so I would have to retake them again to
> graduate. I took the one class 5 times, passed 5 times, but I got a 1.9 3
> times and needed a 2.0. I got so burned out on math that I finally called
> it quits. I realized later that I was so sleep deprived that I just
> couldn't get it. Back then, my classes were all in the morning, and I was
> working part time to pay my tuition. So, I was only getting 4-5 hours of
> sleep per night.

I'd have expected all the astronomy classes to be held at night.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:05:57 +1000, atec 77 <"atec 77 >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 02:13:35 +1000, atec 77 <"atec 77 >
> > wrote:

> >> Well there it is
> >> the root of the economy you had and why it weak
> >> We had some a/h suggest we import labour to assist because it was
> >> cheaper ( in the long term it aint) and that spurred a new training
> >> boost , tradesmen like electricians and builders making 120k a year and
> >> more and that's why the Au economy is a little better off atm . Perhaps
> >> if your comment is accurate then fencing the border and training the
> >> natives would assist your recovery ?

> > All of the above is a crazy notion and a pipe dream at best. I guess
> > everything is easy to fix when it's another person's/country's
> > problem.
> >

> Until the US stops importing problems and clamps it's borders it will
> continue to fall down through economic self sufficiency into a
> problematic situation as currently evidenced and that's no pipe dream

If what you mean by "importing problems" means illegal Mexicans, you
can't be more wrong. Mexicans are the backbone of our labor force.
Obviously you agree with the wingers who think we need to build a
fence at the boarder. No, we don't! The labor force we have here is
not willing to do the job Mexicans are willing to do. If they stepped
up to the plate and worked in the trades where Mexicans work for a
living, illegal immigration would not be a "problem".

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 11:03*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Meghan wrote:
> > Most days, I have only have a few bad customers. But some days can be
> > really bad with customers swearing at us, treating us like we are dirt.

> I'll be working in Iraq this summer, in a location which gets attacked by
> mortar fire a couple times a week.

Yikes.

How long will you be over there? That is definitely not a job I would
like, regardless of pay level.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> True. Though I do have an AA degree, and I left college as a senior. I
> majored in physics and astronomy, and while I passed all the required
> classes, I did not get the minimum required in the calculus and
> differential equations classes, so I would have to retake them again
> to graduate. I took the one class 5 times, passed 5 times, but I got a
> 1.9 3 times and needed a 2.0. I got so burned out on math that I
> finally called it quits. I realized later that I was so sleep deprived
> that I just couldn't get it. Back then, my classes were all in the
> morning, and I was working part time to pay my tuition. So, I was only
> getting 4-5 hours of sleep per night. If I could redo it, I would do
> it very differently.

My normal sleep ration is 3 to 4 hours per day, and I graduated with a
2.98 GPA. Taking extra PE classes helped, but I generally got A's in the
life Sciences. Math is what brought me down too.

So why are you not working in your major?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Meghan wrote:
>
> > Most days, I have only have a few bad customers. But some days can be
> > really bad with customers swearing at us, treating us like we are dirt.

> I'll be working in Iraq this summer, in a location which gets attacked by
> mortar fire a couple times a week.
>
> Bob

How do you find jobs like that? It's tempting, as they tend to pay well.
:-) I'm still job hunting...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> On Mar 1, 11:03*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die spammer.biz>
> wrote:
> > Meghan wrote:
> > > Most days, I have only have a few bad customers. But some days can be
> > > really bad with customers swearing at us, treating us like we are dirt.

> > I'll be working in Iraq this summer, in a location which gets attacked by
> > mortar fire a couple times a week.
> >

> Yikes.
>
> How long will you be over there? That is definitely not a job I would
> like, regardless of pay level.

I would. ;-)

But, I, too, wish him luck and safety!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
atec 77 <"atec 77 > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> >> Well there it is
> >> the root of the economy you had and why it weak
> >> We had some a/h suggest we import labour to assist because it was
> >> cheaper ( in the long term it aint) and that spurred a new training
> >> boost , tradesmen like electricians and builders making 120k a year and
> >> more and that's why the Au economy is a little better off atm . Perhaps
> >> if your comment is accurate then fencing the border and training the
> >> natives would assist your recovery ?

> > Try to convince the powers in charge of that.
> >
> > Part of the ugly truth is that, as far as physical labor goes, American
> > kids tend to be lazy.

> We have a few of those over here , you want some more ?

No thanks. <g>

> > I hate to type that, but it's the bloody truth.

> I work hard for my living planning for a loonng and healthy retirement ,
> no one will offer me an easy way of getting that so there is only one
> choice

Reality is a bitch ain't it?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 21:18:04 +1000, atec 77 wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:
> >
> >> It's nice to offer shop classes, but we gave up our manufacturing
> >> industry a long time ago in favor of white collar jobs.
> >>

> > I couldn't agree less
> > how do you think all the services like the telephone and roof you
> > sleep under get in place ?

> We import Mexicans.
>
> I used to work for a roofing company and none of the contract
> laborers spoke English. If you spoke moderate English, you were the
> crew foreman.
>
> Same with the people running telephone lines. Who built the
> railroads?
>
> If you're a lazy and or dumb White American, you're pretty much
> doomed.
>
> -sw

<laughs> I think I said pretty much the same thing Steve!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> If what you mean by "importing problems" means illegal Mexicans, you
> can't be more wrong. Mexicans are the backbone of our labor force.
> Obviously you agree with the wingers who think we need to build a
> fence at the boarder. No, we don't! The labor force we have here is
> not willing to do the job Mexicans are willing to do. If they stepped
> up to the plate and worked in the trades where Mexicans work for a
> living, illegal immigration would not be a "problem".

Gods I hate to have to agree with this, (due to PC issues) but it's so
damned true.

Thanks for having the guts to say it sf!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:03:56 +1000, atec 77 <"atec 77 >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 21:18:04 +1000, atec 77 <"atec 77 >
> > wrote:

> >> I couldn't agree less
> >> how do you think all the services like the telephone and roof you
> >> sleep under get in place ?
> >> Majic maybe ?

> > There aren't enough of that type job to employ the sheer numbers Bob
> > implied will be needing them.... which is 75% of the school
> > population, totally disregarding drop outs.
> >

> There would be IF the govco there forced the illegal's out adding maybe
> a couple of millions jobs available ?

That means new taxes to pay for those fictitious jobs... which would
be government jobs, btw. That's socialism to the right wingers.

> More infrastructure would spring up to support the black money
> generated with obvious results ( including not shipping cash out of your
> borders)

This isn't the '30s.

> Things is how many folk these days will use a shovel on the
> misconception they are too good for the work on offer ?

It's obvious - and that's why we have Mexicans doing the jobs natives
don't do.

> Heal thy self appears to have meaning here .

Said like an outsider, as usual.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 21:43:15 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> I went to a catholic high school. We didn't have that many weekend
> events, other than a friday night game. And not as many sports as
> other schools. So, most teachers would have had the weekends off.

Please don't start blurring lines. The beef is with public school
teachers and how easy they have it.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 23:03:42 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Meghan wrote:
>
> > Most days, I have only have a few bad customers. But some days can be
> > really bad with customers swearing at us, treating us like we are dirt.

> I'll be working in Iraq this summer, in a location which gets attacked by
> mortar fire a couple times a week.

Good luck and duck often.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 23:10:03 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 20:39:51 -0500, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >> As opposed to hump jumping :-)

> > I haven't heard them called humps (my kids don't ski or at least they
> > don't talk about it)... but considering this day and age and how our
> > language has been taken to the next level, I guess so.
> >

> I suggest that you not ask the kids if they have ever done any hump jumping.

It would be TMI for me.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 11:28*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> " > wrote:
> > True. Though I do have an AA degree, and I left college as a senior. I
> > majored in physics and astronomy, and while I passed all the required
> > classes, I did not get the minimum required in the calculus and
> > differential equations classes, so I would have to retake them again
> > to graduate. I took the one class 5 times, passed 5 times, but I got a
> > 1.9 3 times and needed a 2.0. I got so burned out on math that I
> > finally called it quits. I realized later that I was so sleep deprived
> > that I just couldn't get it. Back then, my classes were all in the
> > morning, and I was working part time to pay my tuition. So, I was only
> > getting 4-5 hours of sleep per night. *If I could redo it, I would do
> > it very differently.

> My normal sleep ration is 3 to 4 hours per day, and I graduated with a
> 2.98 GPA. Taking extra PE classes helped, but I generally got A's in the
> life Sciences. Math is what brought me down too.
>
> So why are you not working in your major?

I got burned out on the calculus. At the same time, I got interested
in photography. The university only let you sign up for a photography
class if you were an art major, and the costs were higher with
supplies. So, I decided to put my money toward camera and film and
start practicing on my own. I participated in some photography
newsgroups, got a few mentors that way, and started moving in that
direction. The idea of going back to take those calculus classes yet
again just didn't appeal to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 12:21*am, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 21:43:15 -0800 (PST), "
>
> > wrote:
> > I went to a catholic high school. We didn't have that many weekend
> > events, other than a friday night game. And not as many sports as
> > other schools. So, most teachers would have had the weekends off.

> Please don't start blurring lines. *The beef is with public school
> teachers and how easy they have it.

Sorry, I did public school for kindergarten through 4th grade, and 8th
grade. My high school experience was with a catholic high school.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 12:04*am, "
> wrote:
> On Mar 1, 7:54*pm, sf > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:14:31 -0800 (PST), "

> > > wrote:
> > > or the word "the" as I tend to type it as "teh".

> > I don't know why that's so common. *Frequently used letters were
> > purposely put in the "left hand's" area to slow down typers. *If it's
> > slowing us down, then why is that such a common typo? *Thank goodness
> > for spell check.

> > --

> I do not use correct typing methods. I use 3 fingers on my right hand
> and two on my left hand. I suppose you could call it a fast hunt and
> peck, though I don't have to hunt. I can do it without looking most of
> the time. I just don't like using all my fingers.

I use L index for SHIFT, R thumb or index for SPACE, and R index and
middle for everything else. Fast enough because I so seldom have to
back up and correct anything.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Meghan wrote about my upcoming summer in Iraq:

> How long will you be over there? That is definitely not a job I would
> like, regardless of pay level.

I'll be there June, July, and August, returning around the beginning of
September. Travel dates get stretched a bit coming and going since the
flights to and from Iraq are being provided by the military. I estimate that
it'll take me four days to get there and maybe three days to get back, so my
total time away will be about 97 days.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

> How do you find jobs like that? It's tempting, as they tend to pay well.

This is the same job I've had since 1995; I'm just providing the same
mission support in Iraq that I provide elsewhere.

Bob