Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seville Oranges

Just a note for anyone who wants to make orange marmalade .... I saw
Seville oranges in the produce department this afternoon. They are only
available for a week or two each winter. If you want to make some good
bitter marmalade you had better get out there and get some.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Dave Smith wrote:

> Just a note for anyone who wants to make orange marmalade .... I saw
> Seville oranges in the produce department this afternoon. They are only
> available for a week or two each winter. If you want to make some good
> bitter marmalade you had better get out there and get some.

And don't leave out duck l'orange...

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > Just a note for anyone who wants to make orange marmalade .... I saw
> > Seville oranges in the produce department this afternoon. They are only
> > available for a week or two each winter. If you want to make some good
> > bitter marmalade you had better get out there and get some.

> And don't leave out duck l'orange...

With Seville oranges? I don't think so. They make great marmalade, but
they are nasty to eat.

FWIW, having had some success with duck a l'orange at New Years, I picked
up another one today and am planning to do it on Sunday. I bought navel
oranges for that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:54:41 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Reg wrote:

>> And don't leave out duck l'orange...
>>

>With Seville oranges? I don't think so. They make great marmalade, but
>they are nasty to eat.
>
>FWIW, having had some success with duck a l'orange at New Years, I picked
>up another one today and am planning to do it on Sunday. I bought navel
>oranges for that.

Actually, from what I have read, and I forget which book it was in,
Seville oranges are the oranges traditionally used in Duck L'orange.
Otherwise, the sauce can be come too cloyingly sweet, if other oranges
are used, and the sweetness is not mitigated. The sauce, from what I
have read, is not supposed to be sweet.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Dave Smith wrote:

> Reg wrote:
>
>>And don't leave out duck l'orange...
>>

> With Seville oranges? I don't think so. They make great marmalade, but
> they are nasty to eat.
>
> FWIW, having had some success with duck a l'orange at New Years, I picked
> up another one today and am planning to do it on Sunday. I bought navel
> oranges for that.

<LOL>

Bitter oranges, Sevilles specifically, are traditional.
The recipe was invented for them.

See:

James Peterson, The Duck Cookbook, Stewart, Tabori & Chang, 2003
<http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_25993,00.html>

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:

> > With Seville oranges? I don't think so. They make great marmalade, but
> > they are nasty to eat.
> >
> > FWIW, having had some success with duck a l'orange at New Years, I picked
> > up another one today and am planning to do it on Sunday. I bought navel
> > oranges for that.

> <LOL>
>
> Bitter oranges, Sevilles specifically, are traditional.
> The recipe was invented for them.

How many sites did you have to check before you found that one that called
for Seville oranges? I did a Google search for "duck a l'orange and went
through more than a dozen without any of them mentioning Seville oranges.

It seems odd to be because Seville oranges are only available or a week or
two each year around here while other types of oranges are available all
year long. It seems odd to worry about the sweetness of the oranges because
the recipe that I use requires only the orange zest, very finely slices for
the sauce. The rest of the orange is peeled and slices and used for
garnish. Other recipes make sauce of orange juice, or orange and lemon.

It just seems really odd to me that anyone would claim that a French dish
would "traditionally" call for a variety of oranges that come from Spain
and which are available for such a short period of time each year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Dave Smith wrote:

> How many sites did you have to check before you found that one that called
> for Seville oranges? I did a Google search for "duck a l'orange and went
> through more than a dozen without any of them mentioning Seville oranges.

I'd recommend more non-internet reading. We're not even talking Escoffier
here. It's in the Joy of Cooking.

> It just seems really odd to me that anyone would claim that a French dish
> would "traditionally" call for a variety of oranges that come from Spain
> and which are available for such a short period of time each year.

I hear you. Again, reading more about it would help. The sauce is
called bigarade. Hopefully that helps.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > How many sites did you have to check before you found that one that called
> > for Seville oranges? I did a Google search for "duck a l'orange and went
> > through more than a dozen without any of them mentioning Seville oranges.

> I'd recommend more non-internet reading. We're not even talking Escoffier
> here. It's in the Joy of Cooking.
>
> > It just seems really odd to me that anyone would claim that a French dish
> > would "traditionally" call for a variety of oranges that come from Spain
> > and which are available for such a short period of time each year.

> I hear you. Again, reading more about it would help. The sauce is
> called bigarade. Hopefully that helps.

So it is. It would have been nice if had been listed with the AKA "a
l'orange" in the index as it is on the recipe itself in my 1973 vintage
JoC.
Still, it seems odd to base a classic dish on something that is available
only two weeks per year. The recipe I use has no orange juice, just the
zest, which is is as close to as bitter as Seville as I need.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 24, 10:55 am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> [snip]
> Still, it seems odd to base a classic dish on something that is available
> only two weeks per year. The recipe I use has no orange juice, just the
> zest, which is is as close to as bitter as Seville as I need.

Seville orange juice works really well with garlic in a marinade for
chicken. Think Cuban. It's available canned in many grocery
stores. -aem