Old 01-02-2004, 01:20 AM
N T

Default Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

Old 01-02-2004, 01:31 AM
[email protected]

It needs some chicken fat for flavour. I add garlic and ginger as well
as salt and pepper.
Cook chicky till it fall off the bone and take if out let cool and then
proceed with dumplings or balls or what ever. The broth is then very
edible. If it still doesn't have enough flavour add a couple of chicken
legs with feet attached and you will also have a fine gelatin.

Old 01-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Goomba38

N T wrote:

There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
is tasteless from being overcooked.

I'd venture to say it was tasteless because you used too little chicken
and too much water.
Goomba

Old 01-02-2004, 01:47 AM
orion

"N T" wrote in message
om...
There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

I would use half water/half chicken or veg stock. Chicken boiled in just
water tends to be rathy tasteless. I also use ginger in mine and sometimes
sweet paprika. If I use the sweet paprika I use 1/3 chick stock, 1/3 cup
stewed tomatoes and 1/3 cup water. It's a little different, but really
good.

Suzan

Old 01-02-2004, 01:59 AM
zxcvbob

N T wrote:
There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

Add a package of ramen noodles, including the flavor packet in the last 10
minutes. The little bit of MSG will make a world of difference. You might
also add some thyme and black pepper.

Bob
Old 01-02-2004, 02:07 AM
Tank

"N T" wrote in message
om...
There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

Generally, I pull the chicken out of the stock mix and strip it
from the bones. The bones go back into the pot for simmering,
etc. When I am done simmering, I strain & discard the bones
& old veggies. I do a second strain, and then add fresh celery,
some celery tops, onion, carrot & garlic, and bring the stock
to a nice simmer.

When it is time to make the actual soup, I gauge how much I
will need, and put it in a separate pot, I bring that up to a
boil, add the noodles, and at that time, I also add the meat
back in. The point is, you do not need to have the meat
simmering the entire time you are making the soup stock.
Cook the meat, and then get it out of the stock. It will retain
flavor that way.

--
Tank

This Space To Let

Old 01-02-2004, 02:48 AM
Lorena

You can also cook the chicken just until it is done, remove the chicken and
debone it, then put the bones back into the chicken soup for the remaining
time to flavor the broth.

om...

Old 01-02-2004, 04:08 AM
Miss Jean

"Lorena" wrote in message
You can also cook the chicken just until it is done, remove the chicken

and
debone it, then put the bones back into the chicken soup for the remaining
time to flavor the broth.

That is exactly what I did the last time I made chicken and dumplings. And
the reason I did it was the same reason the OP mentioned.... overcooked
chicken, and underflavored broth on a previous attempt. So this time I
boiled the chicken just until done, then removed it, deboned it and put the
skin and bones back into the stock to cook longer. Thus my chicken was still
firm and flavorful, and my stock was cooked long enough to reduce somewhat
and get the most from the bones and skin. I strained my stock after cooking
and it was rich, well-seasoned and delicious. I used only legs and thighs,
because that's what I had. I usually use whole chickens, plus a few backs,
necks, whatever I have saved up when I make stock. I think just using legs
and thighs doesn't give as rich a broth, and that was my reason for doing it
this way. I'll do it this way from now on, I think.

.....just what works for me.
Miss Jean, 9M3W6D

om...

Old 01-02-2004, 04:15 AM
Rebus Knebus

I think you're overcooking the vegetables. I use a whole chicken, boil until
done w/kosher salt & peppercorns. Remove the chicken & peppercorns
let cool and debone, set aside. Meanwhile season the chicken broth with
whatever spices you'd like then add the vegetables and
cook for about 20 minutes. Taste the broth at this point and add seasonings
if necessary. Throw the chicken back in just enough to heat it up. You can
also add precooked pasta or rice with the chicken.
If the vegetables are mushy then the whole soup tastes overcooked.
Hope this helps!
Roberta

om...

Old 01-02-2004, 10:11 AM
sf

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 03:08:01 GMT, "Miss Jean"
wrote:

I usually use whole chickens, plus a few backs,
necks, whatever I have saved up when I make stock. I think just using legs
and thighs doesn't give as rich a broth, and that was my reason for doing it
this way. I'll do it this way from now on, I think.

Next time try roasting your vegetables and chicken parts
before throwing them into the pot... mmmmm.

Old 01-02-2004, 01:34 PM
hahabogus

(N T) wrote in
om:

There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

When I make Chicken Soup, I use "Chicken Stock", pieces of cooked Chicken
Flesh, mixed veggies, and noodles or rice.

When I make "Chicken Stock" I use the boney parts of several chickens,
water, spices, and several flavourfull veggies like onions, celery,
parsnips etc. The trick is to use enough boney chicken parts (necks, back
bones, wings, left over carcasses) and not to use salt. Usually water to
cover the boney bits by a inch plus garlic cloves,onion halfed, bay leaf,
10 or so peppercorns, several carrots, several ribs celery, and a parsnip.
This gets simmered for several hours till the veggies are mush or extremely
soft. Strain this and chuck all solids as they have given up all flovour to
the stock. Next cool this in the fridge (usually over night) till you can
remove any fat easily as it will harden into a sheet. If the stock is
thickened and like partially set jello (while cold) you have made a very
good stock. Roasting the chicken parts and the veggies, before you start,
makes for nice brown stock. Using ginger and other spices or sherry/wine as
well works well. But leave off using salt untill you turn the stock into
soup.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:16 PM
[email protected]

N T wrote:
There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

The complaint is silly. The chicken is supposed to be tasteless.
The flavor from the chicken is imparted to the broth in the soup.
If you want, you can chop up some of the chicken into chunks and
serve it in the soup just for the texture, but most people just
disgard the chicken or use it in chicken salad with lots of herbs
and spices to add flavor.