FoodBanter.com

-   -   Chicken soup -- how long to cook? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/3906-chicken-soup-how-long.html)

N T 01-02-2004 12:20 AM

Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

Kenneth 01-02-2004 12:28 AM

On 31 Jan 2004 16:20:23 -0800, (N T) wrote:

>Needless to say, my overcooking is
>the constant complaint.

Howdy,

Reduce by 15 minutes. Serve. Listen.

Continue as above.<g>

HTH,

--
Kenneth

[email protected] 01-02-2004 12:31 AM

Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

It needs some chicken fat for flavour. I add garlic and ginger as well
as salt and pepper.
Cook chicky till it fall off the bone and take if out let cool and then
proceed with dumplings or balls or what ever. The broth is then very
edible. If it still doesn't have enough flavour add a couple of chicken
legs with feet attached and you will also have a fine gelatin.

Goomba38 01-02-2004 12:32 AM

N T wrote:

> There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
> There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
> Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
> water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
> just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
> Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
> is tasteless from being overcooked.

I'd venture to say it was tasteless because you used too little chicken
and too much water.
Goomba

orion 01-02-2004 12:47 AM

Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

"N T" > wrote in message
om...
> There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
> There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
> Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
> water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
> just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
> Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
> is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
> the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
> seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

I would use half water/half chicken or veg stock. Chicken boiled in just
water tends to be rathy tasteless. I also use ginger in mine and sometimes
sweet paprika. If I use the sweet paprika I use 1/3 chick stock, 1/3 cup
stewed tomatoes and 1/3 cup water. It's a little different, but really
good.

Suzan

zxcvbob 01-02-2004 12:59 AM

N T wrote:
> There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
> There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
> Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
> water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
> just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
> Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
> is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
> the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
> seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

Add a package of ramen noodles, including the flavor packet in the last 10
minutes. The little bit of MSG will make a world of difference. You might
also add some thyme and black pepper.

Bob

Tank 01-02-2004 01:07 AM

Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

"N T" > wrote in message
om...
> There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
> There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
> Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
> water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
> just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
> Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
> is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
> the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
> seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

Generally, I pull the chicken out of the stock mix and strip it
from the bones. The bones go back into the pot for simmering,
etc. When I am done simmering, I strain & discard the bones
& old veggies. I do a second strain, and then add fresh celery,
some celery tops, onion, carrot & garlic, and bring the stock
to a nice simmer.

When it is time to make the actual soup, I gauge how much I
will need, and put it in a separate pot, I bring that up to a
boil, add the noodles, and at that time, I also add the meat
back in. The point is, you do not need to have the meat
simmering the entire time you are making the soup stock.
Cook the meat, and then get it out of the stock. It will retain
flavor that way.

--
Tank

This Space To Let

Lorena 01-02-2004 01:48 AM

Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

You can also cook the chicken just until it is done, remove the chicken and
debone it, then put the bones back into the chicken soup for the remaining
time to flavor the broth.

om...

Miss Jean 01-02-2004 03:08 AM

"Lorena" > wrote in message
> You can also cook the chicken just until it is done, remove the chicken

and
> debone it, then put the bones back into the chicken soup for the remaining
> time to flavor the broth.

That is exactly what I did the last time I made chicken and dumplings. And
the reason I did it was the same reason the OP mentioned.... overcooked
chicken, and underflavored broth on a previous attempt. So this time I
boiled the chicken just until done, then removed it, deboned it and put the
skin and bones back into the stock to cook longer. Thus my chicken was still
firm and flavorful, and my stock was cooked long enough to reduce somewhat
and get the most from the bones and skin. I strained my stock after cooking
and it was rich, well-seasoned and delicious. I used only legs and thighs,
because that's what I had. I usually use whole chickens, plus a few backs,
necks, whatever I have saved up when I make stock. I think just using legs
and thighs doesn't give as rich a broth, and that was my reason for doing it
this way. I'll do it this way from now on, I think.

.....just what works for me.
Miss Jean, 9M3W6D

Rebus Knebus 01-02-2004 03:15 AM

Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

I think you're overcooking the vegetables. I use a whole chicken, boil until
done w/kosher salt & peppercorns. Remove the chicken & peppercorns
let cool and debone, set aside. Meanwhile season the chicken broth with
whatever spices you'd like then add the vegetables and
cook for about 20 minutes. Taste the broth at this point and add seasonings
if necessary. Throw the chicken back in just enough to heat it up. You can
also add precooked pasta or rice with the chicken.
If the vegetables are mushy then the whole soup tastes overcooked.
Hope this helps!
Roberta

om...

Rodney Myrvaagnes 01-02-2004 07:02 AM

Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

On 31 Jan 2004 16:20:23 -0800, (N T) wrote:

>There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
>There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
>Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
>water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
>just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
>Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
>is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
>the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
>seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

Save all your bones, and get a "soup chicken" once in a while. Make
stock out of them after roasting in the oven. Then, when you make
chicken soup cook the veggies in the stock, and add eating chicken
near the end, so it will be just done. Don't try to use the meat on
the soup chicken except for croquettes or dumplings, where you can
season them directly.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the
simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.
- Richard Dawkins, "Viruses of the Mind"

sf 01-02-2004 09:11 AM

Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 03:08:01 GMT, "Miss Jean"
> wrote:

> I usually use whole chickens, plus a few backs,
> necks, whatever I have saved up when I make stock. I think just using legs
> and thighs doesn't give as rich a broth, and that was my reason for doing it
> this way. I'll do it this way from now on, I think.

Next time try roasting your vegetables and chicken parts
before throwing them into the pot... mmmmm.

sf 01-02-2004 09:16 AM

Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

On 31 Jan 2004 16:20:23 -0800, (N T)
wrote:

> There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
> There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
> Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
> water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
> just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
> Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
> is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
> the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
> seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

Your timing isn't unreasonable, provided you took it down to
a simmer after you brought it to a boil.... maybe the amount
of water was a little too much, but lots of people like a
thin broth... so next time add some SALT. Just a little
perks up a flat tasting dish (which is soup, in your case).

hahabogus 01-02-2004 12:34 PM

Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

(N T) wrote in
om:

> There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
> There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
> Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
> water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
> just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
> Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
> is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
> the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
> seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

When I make Chicken Soup, I use "Chicken Stock", pieces of cooked Chicken
Flesh, mixed veggies, and noodles or rice.

When I make "Chicken Stock" I use the boney parts of several chickens,
water, spices, and several flavourfull veggies like onions, celery,
parsnips etc. The trick is to use enough boney chicken parts (necks, back
bones, wings, left over carcasses) and not to use salt. Usually water to
cover the boney bits by a inch plus garlic cloves,onion halfed, bay leaf,
10 or so peppercorns, several carrots, several ribs celery, and a parsnip.
This gets simmered for several hours till the veggies are mush or extremely
soft. Strain this and chuck all solids as they have given up all flovour to
the stock. Next cool this in the fridge (usually over night) till you can
remove any fat easily as it will harden into a sheet. If the stock is
thickened and like partially set jello (while cold) you have made a very
good stock. Roasting the chicken parts and the veggies, before you start,
makes for nice brown stock. Using ginger and other spices or sherry/wine as
well works well. But leave off using salt untill you turn the stock into
soup.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

[email protected] 01-02-2004 02:16 PM

N T > wrote:
> There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
> There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
> Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
> water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
> just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
> Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
> is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
> the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
> seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

The complaint is silly. The chicken is supposed to be tasteless.
The flavor from the chicken is imparted to the broth in the soup.
If you want, you can chop up some of the chicken into chunks and
serve it in the soup just for the texture, but most people just
disgard the chicken or use it in chicken salad with lots of herbs
and spices to add flavor.

[email protected] 01-02-2004 02:17 PM

orion > wrote:

> I would use half water/half chicken or veg stock. Chicken boiled in just
> water tends to be rathy tasteless. I also use ginger in mine and sometimes
> sweet paprika. If I use the sweet paprika I use 1/3 chick stock, 1/3 cup
> stewed tomatoes and 1/3 cup water. It's a little different, but really
> good.

I think there's a misunderstanding about what the OP asked. The complain
was that the meat of the chicken is tasteless, not the actual soup. But
that's what's supposed to happen so the problem is that the people eating
the soup ought not to be served the actual chicken meat; it should be
removed from the soup before serving.

orion 01-02-2004 04:28 PM

Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

> wrote in message ...
> orion > wrote:
>
> > I would use half water/half chicken or veg stock. Chicken boiled in

just
> > water tends to be rathy tasteless. I also use ginger in mine and

sometimes
> > sweet paprika. If I use the sweet paprika I use 1/3 chick stock, 1/3

cup
> > stewed tomatoes and 1/3 cup water. It's a little different, but really
> > good.

> I think there's a misunderstanding about what the OP asked. The complain
> was that the meat of the chicken is tasteless, not the actual soup. But
> that's what's supposed to happen so the problem is that the people eating
> the soup ought not to be served the actual chicken meat; it should be
> removed from the soup before serving.

If I were making stock, I wouldn't keep the chicken. When I make chicken
soup, I use the chicken. OP is asking about soup, not stock or broth.

ciao,

Suzan

Miss Jean 01-02-2004 05:19 PM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 03:08:01 GMT, "Miss Jean"
> > wrote:
>
> > I usually use whole chickens, plus a few backs,
> > necks, whatever I have saved up when I make stock. I think just using

legs
> > and thighs doesn't give as rich a broth, and that was my reason for

doing it
> > this way. I'll do it this way from now on, I think.
> >

> Next time try roasting your vegetables and chicken parts
> before throwing them into the pot... mmmmm.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

I will try that on a day when I am home and a little extra time. It sounds
like a great idea. thanks.

I've also been sharing your sig line with my friends. They think it's great
too.

Miss Jean

orion 01-02-2004 05:40 PM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 03:08:01 GMT, "Miss Jean"
> > wrote:
>
> > I usually use whole chickens, plus a few backs,
> > necks, whatever I have saved up when I make stock. I think just using

legs
> > and thighs doesn't give as rich a broth, and that was my reason for

doing it
> > this way. I'll do it this way from now on, I think.
> >

> Next time try roasting your vegetables and chicken parts
> before throwing them into the pot... mmmmm.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Yanno, I always forget to do this, it makes an incredible difference.
Thanks for reminding me!

Suzan

Peter Aitken 01-02-2004 05:53 PM

Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

"N T" > wrote in message
om...
> There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
> There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
> Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
> water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
> just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
> Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
> is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
> the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
> seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

Yep, too long! Chicken soup should start with chicken stock. Then simmer the
thighs in the stock for about 20 minutes and remove them. Add the carrots
etc. (things that need cooking) and simmer 10-15 min until they are almost
done. Remove the meat from the bones and return to the soup along with
things that don't need cooking, such as cooked pasta or cooked veg. Never
cook pasta in the soup as it makes it cloudy and starchy.

--
Peter Aitken

N T 01-02-2004 07:22 PM

Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

Thank you all for this education.
The main point is, that if we want to eat the chicken itself I must
remove it earlier and use bones only. Good!
Then it's my choice if I let the vegetables get mushy and strain them
out or put them in at the end. I think I'd choose the former.
I think I'll start saving bones and make some stock!

[email protected] 01-02-2004 10:13 PM

Chicken Feet soup -- how long to cook?

Never forget to put in the chicken legs and feet. Well scrubbed. No
chinese cook would ever forget this most important part that makes all
the flavour.

sf 02-02-2004 03:11 AM

Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 17:19:17 GMT, "Miss Jean"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > >

> > Next time try roasting your vegetables and chicken parts
> > before throwing them into the pot... mmmmm.
> >

> > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

> I will try that on a day when I am home and a little extra time. It sounds
> like a great idea. thanks.

You're welcome
;-)

> I've also been sharing your sig line with my friends. They think it's great
> too.

<Blush>
Thanks!

My all time favorite sig line is by a poster (not on this
ng) named Cowboy ... "Don't squat with your spurs on".

N T 02-02-2004 05:04 AM

wrote in message link.net>...
> Never forget to put in the chicken legs and feet. Well scrubbed. No
> chinese cook would ever forget this most important part that makes all
> the flavour.

OK If you insist -- but I'll try to throw them in and fish out
without looking. Yep, it makes no sense. The other parts are a real
chicken too.

Sandy n ne 02-02-2004 05:57 AM

Chicken Feet soup -- how long to cook?

I soak my chicken in salt water the night before cooking, whether I boil it or
fry it. When I make soup, I boil the chicken in chicken broth (or chicken soup
base) and onions, garlic, salt and pepper. I throw in some bay leaves and
whatever other spices or herbs strike my fancy at the time. Then I add fresh or
frozen veggies, whatever I have and some pasta and that's soup. Always very
tasty.

Sandra

Katra 02-02-2004 06:18 AM

Chicken Feet soup -- how long to cook?

In article >,
(N T) wrote:

wrote in message
> link.net>...
> > Never forget to put in the chicken legs and feet. Well scrubbed. No
> > chinese cook would ever forget this most important part that makes all
> > the flavour.

> OK If you insist -- but I'll try to throw them in and fish out
> without looking. Yep, it makes no sense. The other parts are a real
> chicken too.

Never underestimate chicken feet... ;-)
I use them for flu' soup.

Good stuff.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

texpat 04-02-2004 11:34 PM

Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

I don't know if anyone else brought this up, but I would have cooked them
about 45 minutes. THEN I would have let them cool in the broth. Letting them
cool in the broth seems to make a huge difference, as opposed to taking them
out and letting them "air-cool".

ink.net...