Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default how long will chicken soup last in the fridge?

I've had it in there for a week? Seems a shame to waste it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've had it in there for a week? Seems a shame to waste it.

Freeze it. Get yourself some Ball canning jars, rings and lids at the
supermarket. Fill the jars, but leave one inch of headroom (empty space) to
allow for expansion, or the jars will crack. For the same reason, leave the
lids loose until the soup's frozen. Then tighten. Glass is good for freezing
soups because you can microwave it on the high setting without harming them.
Obviously, you'll remove the metal lids before doing this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Doug Kanter" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > I've had it in there for a week? Seems a shame to waste it.
> >

> Freeze it. Get yourself some Ball canning jars, rings and lids at the
> supermarket. Fill the jars, but leave one inch of headroom (empty space) to
> allow for expansion, or the jars will crack. For the same reason, leave the
> lids loose until the soup's frozen. Then tighten. Glass is good for freezing
> soups because you can microwave it on the high setting without harming them.
> Obviously, you'll remove the metal lids before doing this.

Ziplock bags also work for freezing.

I generally use the disposable ziplock solid plastic containers to
freeze soup in. In fact, I ought to freeze some of this bean soup. ;-)

Glass works like you said, but it's a bit risky.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Doug Kanter" > wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> > I've had it in there for a week? Seems a shame to waste it.
>> >

>> Freeze it. Get yourself some Ball canning jars, rings and lids at the
>> supermarket. Fill the jars, but leave one inch of headroom (empty space)
>> allow for expansion, or the jars will crack. For the same reason, leave
>> the
>> lids loose until the soup's frozen. Then tighten. Glass is good for
>> freezing
>> soups because you can microwave it on the high setting without harming
>> them.
>> Obviously, you'll remove the metal lids before doing this.
>>

> Ziplock bags also work for freezing.
>
> I generally use the disposable ziplock solid plastic containers to
> freeze soup in. In fact, I ought to freeze some of this bean soup. ;-)

Yeah, but only crazy people put plastic in the microwave.

> Glass works like you said, but it's a bit risky.

Only if you're a child. Taking a shower is risky. Using a knife to chop food
is risky.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Doug Kanter" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

> >> ups.com...
> >> >

> >> Freeze it. Get yourself some Ball canning jars, rings and lids at the
> >> supermarket. Fill the jars, but leave one inch of headroom (empty space)
> >> allow for expansion, or the jars will crack. For the same reason, leave
> >> the
> >> lids loose until the soup's frozen. Then tighten. Glass is good for
> >> freezing
> >> soups because you can microwave it on the high setting without harming
> >> them.
> >> Obviously, you'll remove the metal lids before doing this.
> >>

> > Ziplock bags also work for freezing.
> >
> > I generally use the disposable ziplock solid plastic containers to
> > freeze soup in. In fact, I ought to freeze some of this bean soup. ;-)

> Yeah, but only crazy people put plastic in the microwave.

'scuse me?
Those plastic containers work just fine in the 'wave, as long as there
are no tomatoes. ;-)

> > Glass works like you said, but it's a bit risky.

> Only if you're a child. Taking a shower is risky. Using a knife to chop food
> is risky.

Nah. I'm just a klutz..... and so is my house mate.

You may note that a lot of my food pics are taken on enameled metal or
glasstic bowls. I do have those crystal plates but use them mostly now
for photography!

As for chopping food, I do manage to cut myself about once every 3 or 4
years. ;-) The last one was pretty bad. I noted an odd divot growing out
from one fingernail and wondered what caused it... then realized it was
from the last cut about 6 weeks ago.

I managed to cut myself with my large, very sharp cleaver at a steep
angle. The cut entered at the top of the knuckle about 1/4" below the
fingernail, but it was at a steep angle.

Evidently the cut was deeper than I realized and damaged the pre-nail
bed..... The feeling is finally coming back to the skin in that area,
guess it did some minor nerve damage.

I thought it was never going to stop bleeding...... :-(

--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Doug Kanter" > wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

>> > Ziplock bags also work for freezing.
>> >
>> > I generally use the disposable ziplock solid plastic containers to
>> > freeze soup in. In fact, I ought to freeze some of this bean soup. ;-)

>> Yeah, but only crazy people put plastic in the microwave.

> 'scuse me?
> Those plastic containers work just fine in the 'wave, as long as there
> are no tomatoes. ;-)

You'll never know for sure what sorts of chemicals are being released into
your food as the plastic gets hot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Doug Kanter" > wrote:

> > 'scuse me?
> > Those plastic containers work just fine in the 'wave, as long as there
> > are no tomatoes. ;-)

> You'll never know for sure what sorts of chemicals are being released into
> your food as the plastic gets hot.

Mmmm... now you can be labeled "paranoid"? :-)
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Doug Kanter" > wrote:
>
>> > 'scuse me?
>> > Those plastic containers work just fine in the 'wave, as long as there
>> > are no tomatoes. ;-)

>> You'll never know for sure what sorts of chemicals are being released
>> into
>> your food as the plastic gets hot.

> Mmmm... now you can be labeled "paranoid"? :-)

Really? Plastic wrap exudes some of its stabilizers when it gets hot. What
makes you think your plastic containers don't do this?

(By the way, I love arguing with you).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Doug Kanter" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

> >> You'll never know for sure what sorts of chemicals are being released
> >> into
> >> your food as the plastic gets hot.

> > Mmmm... now you can be labeled "paranoid"? :-)

> Really? Plastic wrap exudes some of its stabilizers when it gets hot. What
> makes you think your plastic containers don't do this?
>
> (By the way, I love arguing with you).

I know you do... <kiss>

Thing is, I only STORE in the plastic.

Due to what m-waves do to plastic storage containers, (and my housemates
objection to heating in anything other than corningware), I usually dump
the contents into a covered corningware prior to heating. :-)
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> I've had it in there for a week? Seems a shame to waste it.
>>

> Freeze it. Get yourself some Ball canning jars, rings and lids at the
> supermarket. Fill the jars, but leave one inch of headroom (empty
> space) to allow for expansion, or the jars will crack. For the same
> reason, leave the lids loose until the soup's frozen. Then tighten.
> Glass is good for freezing soups because you can microwave it on the
> high setting without harming them. Obviously, you'll remove the metal
> lids before doing this.

I wouldn't freeze anything in glass. And that this point I'd think the soup
might be suspect, as well.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> I've had it in there for a week? Seems a shame to waste it.
>>>

>> Freeze it. Get yourself some Ball canning jars, rings and lids at the
>> supermarket. Fill the jars, but leave one inch of headroom (empty
>> space) to allow for expansion, or the jars will crack. For the same
>> reason, leave the lids loose until the soup's frozen. Then tighten.
>> Glass is good for freezing soups because you can microwave it on the
>> high setting without harming them. Obviously, you'll remove the metal
>> lids before doing this.

> I wouldn't freeze anything in glass.

Why not? I've been doing it for years. As long as you leave "headroom", as
suggested in the Ball canning book, it's not a problem. Glass makes a
perfect seal. No freezer burn, minimal degradation of quality, compared to
plastic containers or bags.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:
>>> ups.com...
>>>>

>>> Freeze it. Get yourself some Ball canning jars, rings and lids at
>>> the supermarket. Fill the jars, but leave one inch of headroom
>>> (empty space) to allow for expansion, or the jars will crack. For
>>> the same reason, leave the lids loose until the soup's frozen. Then
>>> tighten. Glass is good for freezing soups because you can microwave
>>> it on the high setting without harming them. Obviously, you'll
>>> remove the metal lids before doing this.

>> I wouldn't freeze anything in glass.

> Why not? I've been doing it for years. As long as you leave
> "headroom", as suggested in the Ball canning book, it's not a
> problem. Glass makes a perfect seal. No freezer burn, minimal
> degradation of quality, compared to plastic containers or bags.

Just call it personal paranoia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Doug Kanter wrote:

>>> I wouldn't freeze anything in glass.

>> Why not? I've been doing it for years. As long as you leave
>> "headroom", as suggested in the Ball canning book, it's not a
>> problem. Glass makes a perfect seal. No freezer burn, minimal
>> degradation of quality, compared to plastic containers or bags.

> Just call it personal paranoia

You are a very strange woman. Very strange.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Doug Kanter wrote:

>>> Why not? I've been doing it for years. As long as you leave
>>> "headroom", as suggested in the Ball canning book, it's not a
>>> problem. Glass makes a perfect seal. No freezer burn, minimal
>>> degradation of quality, compared to plastic containers or bags.

>> Just call it personal paranoia
>>

> You are a very strange woman. Very strange.

Call me "unique". There is no other. My LLL proudly says I'm one of a kind

Jill