Old 16-02-2013, 06:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default how long do you need to cook soup to become soup?

Hi All,

I have a recipe for mushroom soup that I like. After
frying up the mushrooms an onions, I combine it with various
other stuff and bring it to a boil.

Although it tastes very nice (my wife loves it), I can not help
but think I am eating separate items that have not yet combined
together. I am thinking I did not boil it for long enough for
everything to meld together.

How long do I need to boil the soup before the ingredients
meld? How long do you need to cook soup ingredients before
the become soup?

Many thanks,
-T

Old 16-02-2013, 06:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have a recipe for mushroom soup that I like. After
frying up the mushrooms an onions, I combine it with various
other stuff and bring it to a boil.

Although it tastes very nice (my wife loves it), I can not help
but think I am eating separate items that have not yet combined
together. I am thinking I did not boil it for long enough for
everything to meld together.

How long do I need to boil the soup before the ingredients
meld? How long do you need to cook soup ingredients before
the become soup?

Many thanks,
-T

Soup should be simmered. Not boiled. Did you add enough salt? The one and
only time that my soup didn't meld, it needed not only salt but lemon juice.

Old 16-02-2013, 07:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/15/2013 09:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Soup should be simmered

Hi Julie,

Thank you!

Follow up questions:

1) for how long?

2) by simmer, do you mean the lowest boil?

-T
Old 16-02-2013, 09:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 02/15/2013 09:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Soup should be simmered

Hi Julie,

Thank you!

Follow up questions:

1) for how long?

2) by simmer, do you mean the lowest boil?

-T

It would help if you would post the recipe. Some soups cook for longer than
others. And simmer is simmer. Not boil. There is boil and then there is
hard boil. Boil is when large bubbles begin to come to the surface. If you
continue to leave it at this heat, it will reach a hard boil where bubbles
come up furiously. Most food would not need to be boiled like this for very
long. Dried beans, yes but only for a couple of minutes. Your recipe
probably said to bring the soup to a boil then turn down the heat. If there
was anything like cream in the soup, you'd for sure want to cook it on a low
heat. Various foods need various cooking times. I can comment on your soup
since I don't know what all was in it. Anything like celery would require a
longer cooking time. Mushrooms cook quickly.

Old 16-02-2013, 11:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 02/15/2013 09:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Soup should be simmered

Hi Julie,

Thank you!

Follow up questions:

1) for how long?

2) by simmer, do you mean the lowest boil?

-T

I do mine in a slow cooker for hours.

Old 16-02-2013, 02:31 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: Hi All,

: I have a recipe for mushroom soup that I like. After
: frying up the mushrooms an onions, I combine it with various
: other stuff and bring it to a boil.

: Although it tastes very nice (my wife loves it), I can not help
: but think I am eating separate items that have not yet combined
: together. I am thinking I did not boil it for long enough for
: everything to meld together.

: How long do I need to boil the soup before the ingredients
: meld? How long do you need to cook soup ingredients before
: the become soup?

: Many thanks,
: -T

Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer, mostlycovered
with a crack open and lt cook for as long as it needs for the flavors to
blend. If it is all vegetables this could be 20-30 mins or longer. If
there is meat in the soup, it will need much longer.

Wendy

Old 16-02-2013, 10:13 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/16/2013 05:31 AM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
[...]

Thank you! Maybe 10 minutes in the pressure cooker!
Old 16-02-2013, 10:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: On 02/16/2013 05:31 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: Todd wrote:
: : Hi All,
:
[...]

I wouldthink that a pressure coker , if it is delacate vegetables might be
overkill. It's works forhearty chicken or bee soups, etc but no more than
5 mins in the pressure cooker for those veggies and a simmer on a burner
or gas ring or range top etc woudl be gentler on the foods. Everytnng
doesn't work "instant."

Wendy
Old 16-02-2013, 10:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/16/2013 12:13 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

I pulled the recipe out of my ear. I do not know
what I am doing, but I never give up!

2 flats whole white mushrooms, sliced. (Raley's org)
1 med onyawn, diced (TJ's org)

Fry in EVOO until the onyawns are clear and the mushroom
brown a little. Them add

2 cups of my 99:99 chicken broth (it is strong)
2 cups water
salt (guess)
1 cup cream (TJ's org)
parsley flakes (guess) (Frontier org)
1/2 cup sour cream (TJ's org)
paprika (guess) (Swanson org)
~1 tsp squeezed lemon (1/2 a small org TJ lemon)

Bring to a boil. Let cool down on the burner. Give
the Arm Candy a spoon to taste (she loves it).

Any and all modifications/improvements will be greatly
appreciated!

-T

Old 16-02-2013, 11:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/16/2013 01:22 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
: On 02/16/2013 05:31 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: Todd wrote:
: : Hi All,
:
[...]

Hi Wendy,

Good tip! Thank you! I will ultra fast release after 5 minutes and
check things out. (I never give up!)

-T
Old 16-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Yes..what is the various other stuff? Have noticed the flavor we like in soup comes partly from browning up all all the components separately..with the exception of garlic which should not be added till you have some liquid built up in the pot. Less a person is looking for a burnt garlic flavor for some reason...which has its place on the gourmet table most likely. Think mainly Eyetalians like it. As is applicable to most other savory composites..it taste much mo betta after it been in the ice box all night and reheated. Bon Apetit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post

Old 17-02-2013, 12:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message ...

Todd wrote:
: On 02/16/2013 05:31 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: Todd wrote:
: : Hi All,
:
[...]

Moi: I personally like overkill for vegetable soups. I love the
texture. I use chunky sized vegetables. When I have veggies with a meal
I like them only just cooked past raw though.

Old 17-02-2013, 12:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...
On 02/15/2013 09:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Soup should be simmered

Hi Julie,

Thank you!

Follow up questions:

1) for how long?

2) by simmer, do you mean the lowest boil?

-T

I do mine in a slow cooker for hours.

How many hours!?!?!

I do mine at least 6 hours because I love mushy soup. With a slow cooker
one can test the veggies whenever, to find the right texture. I like to
differentiate between a stew and a soup. Both have their good points.