Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How long to cook ham?

I am cooking a (raw, as in not cured) ham. The instructions say 35 minutes
at the high temperature and then 10 minutes per 100 grams at the lower
temperature. I don't have time--it's been one of those days. I have 1 hour
and 20 minutes to cook this 710-gram ham. It's already in the oven at the
higher temperature. If I am willing to sacrifice ideal texture, how long per
100 grams or kilo or pound or whatever should I cook it for to make sure it
is safe to eat? And to double check myself afterward, what temperature
should it register internally at that point? If it makes a difference (which
I'm sure it does) it's boneless.
Thanks,
Katrina

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> White Monkey wrote:
>> I am cooking a (raw, as in not cured) ham. The instructions say 35
>> minutes
>> at the high temperature and then 10 minutes per 100 grams at the lower
>> temperature. I don't have time--it's been one of those days. I have 1
>> hour
>> and 20 minutes to cook this 710-gram ham.

> Where did you find a fresh ham that tiny... are you certain it's not a
> joint of your neighbor's poodle?

They're standard supermarket fare here in the Netherlands. I wish I thought
it came from a tiny little tender piglet, but... no.

How long should I cook it? I have found the ideal finished temp. by
Googling, but would like to know when to start checking it...

--Katrina

Posted to rec.food.cooking

White Monkey wrote:
> I am cooking a (raw, as in not cured) ham. The instructions say 35 minutes
> at the high temperature and then 10 minutes per 100 grams at the lower
> temperature. I don't have time--it's been one of those days. I have 1 hour
> and 20 minutes to cook this 710-gram ham. It's already in the oven at the
> higher temperature. If I am willing to sacrifice ideal texture, how long per
> 100 grams or kilo or pound or whatever should I cook it for to make sure it
> is safe to eat? And to double check myself afterward, what temperature
> should it register internally at that point?

It needs to register at least 145°F in the center to be safe. If it has
a good amount of fat, it can go as high as about 155°F and be juicy and
tender.

That 1 hr 20 should be fine. I'd roast in a constant 325°F oven. Good
crust and not too drying.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> It needs to register at least 145°F in the center to be safe. If it has a
> good amount of fat, it can go as high as about 155°F and be juicy and
> tender.
>
> That 1 hr 20 should be fine. I'd roast in a constant 325°F oven. Good
> crust and not too drying.
>
> Pastorio

Thanks! I did that to 160°F because I found that temp online at a food
poisoning prevention site. It did take about an hour at about 350°F. It was
tasty.
--Katrina

Posted to rec.food.cooking

White Monkey wrote:
>>It needs to register at least 145°F in the center to be safe. If it has a
>>good amount of fat, it can go as high as about 155°F and be juicy and
>>tender.
>>
>>That 1 hr 20 should be fine. I'd roast in a constant 325°F oven. Good
>>crust and not too drying.
>>
>>Pastorio

> Thanks! I did that to 160°F because I found that temp online at a food
> poisoning prevention site.

Well, don't go back to that site; it's flat out wrong. The only issue -
and it really isn't one any longer in the US for commercial pork - is
trichinosis. And it isn't a poison, it's a parasite. It's dead at 140°F.
Add a couple degrees for surety.

Pastorio