MEow

Default Plaice: recipe wanted

I have two whole plaice in my refrigerator, but no idea how to cook
it, since I don't want to just cut them into filets, coat them, and
fry them. Does anyone have a good recipe for them? It will have to be
without any kind of cheese, as I'm lactose intolerant, but ordinary
milk and such can easily be replaced by substitutes.

TYVM in advance.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
MrAoD

>I have two whole plaice in my refrigerator, but no idea how to cook
>it, since I don't want to just cut them into filets, coat them, and
>fry them.

May we assume that the plaice (sole/flounder for da Merkins in da house) have
been beheaded, gutted, and/or skinned?

Also, how long have they been in your refrigerator? Two-three days max,
otherwise you may as well compost them.

>Does anyone have a good recipe for them? It will have to be
>without any kind of cheese, as I'm lactose intolerant, but ordinary
>milk and such can easily be replaced by substitutes.

Stuff with a mixture of bread crumbs and savoury mixed with one beaten egg, or
with bread crumbs mixed with shrimp or crabmeat) and bake @ 350 (obCelsius:
you do the math) for about 15-20 minutes depending on thickeness if you're
using whole flatfish and their thickness.

Or, dust lightly with flour, shake off excess, place on thinly sliced onions,
sprinkle with some lemon and/or limes zest, drizzle with light olive oil and
broil.

Best,

Marc

>"I like my tea like I like my women... Green and tastes a little bit like
>seaweed." GranoblasticMan (afdaniain)

MrAoD

Default Plaice: recipe wanted - P.S.

>Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
>"I like my tea like I like my women... Green and tastes a little bit like
>seaweed." GranoblasticMan (afdaniain)

"I like my women the way I like my coffee . . .hot, black, and dribbling down
my chin when my brother pulls aways from the stoplight too fast."

Attributed to someone who I can't remember.

Dimitri

"MEow" > wrote in message
> I have two whole plaice in my refrigerator, but no idea how to cook
> it, since I don't want to just cut them into filets, coat them, and
> fry them. Does anyone have a good recipe for them? It will have to be
> without any kind of cheese, as I'm lactose intolerant, but ordinary
> milk and such can easily be replaced by substitutes.
>
> TYVM in advance.

How big are they?

plaice
[PLAYC]
The American plaice, also called Canadian plaice and dab, is a member of
the FLOUNDER family, which is found on both sides of the Atlantic. The fish
can be various shades of reddish- to gray-brown and has a lowfat,
fine-textured flesh with a mild, sweet flavor. The American plaice can get
as large as 12 pounds but is usually marketed in the 2- to 3-pound range.
It's available fresh and frozen, either whole or filleted. The European
plaice, a similar fish but with different coloring, is found in the North
Sea and is widely popular in Europe. Both the American and European plaice
are suitable for almost any cooking method. See also FISH; FLATFISH.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on

I would use any Flounder recipe and you should be just fine.

Dimitri

BAKED FLOUNDER ROLLS WITH TOMATO, BELL PEPPER, AND BACON
6 slices of lean bacon, chopped fine
1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
2/3 cup minced green bell pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
a 28-ounce can tomatoes including the juice, chopped
1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried basil
six 1/2-pound flounder fillets, halved lengthwise and seasoned with salt and
pepper
1/2 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil

In a skillet cook the bacon over moderate heat until it is crisp, transfer
it to paper towels to drain, and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the fat.
In the fat remaining in the skillet cook the shallot and the bell pepper
over moderately low heat, stirring, for 3 minutes, add the wine, and boil
the mixture, scraping up the brown bits, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes with
the juice, the basil, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer the sauce,
stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until it is thickened.
On a work surface arrange the flounder fillet halves, skinned sides up,
beginning with the narrow end roll up each fillet half jelly-roll fashion,
and secure each roll with a wooden pick.
In an oiled flameproof baking pan, 15 by 10 by 2 inches, arrange the fish
rolls, seam sides down and not touching each other, pour the sauce evenly
over them, and bake the mixture in the middle of a preheated 400°F. oven for
10 minutes. In a bowl stir together the bread crumbs, the parsley, the
bacon, and salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle the topping over the rolls.
Drizzle the fish rolls with the oil and bake the mixture for 10 minutes, or
until the fish just flakes. (For a crisper topping, the cooked mixture may
be broiled under a preheated broiler about 4 inches from the heat for 1 to 2
minutes.) Transfer the fish rolls to a heated platter and spoon the sauce
and topping over them.
Serves 6.

Gourmet
May 1992

MEow

While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, MrAoD of AOL
http://www.aol.com said:

>>I have two whole plaice in my refrigerator, but no idea how to cook
>>it, since I don't want to just cut them into filets, coat them, and
>>fry them.

>May we assume that the plaice (sole/flounder for da Merkins in da house) have
>been beheaded, gutted, and/or skinned?

They've been gutted, but nothing else.

>Also, how long have they been in your refrigerator? Two-three days max,
>otherwise you may as well compost them.

I bought them today, and plan to cook them tomorrow.

They're about 0,5 kg combined
( http://members.aol.com/javawizard/numbers.html should convert to
your local units)

I'll have to admit that I've never stuffed food before (unless you
count stuffing it into my mouth), so I'd appreciate it if you could
tell me how to do that (I have a description of how to cut them into
filets handy, so no need for you to describe that, in case you'd do
that before stuffing them).
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
Matthew 10:14, "And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your
words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of
your feet."

Barry Grau

(MrAoD) wrote in message >...
> >Unreferenced footnotes:
http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
> >"I like my tea like I like my women... Green and tastes a little bit like
> >seaweed." GranoblasticMan (afdaniain)

> "I like my women the way I like my coffee . . .hot, black, and dribbling down
> my chin when my brother pulls aways from the stoplight too fast."
>
> Attributed to someone who I can't remember.

"Russian men like their women the same way they like their tea -- cold and bitter"
Panikovsky the Troll

-bwg
MrAoD

MEow writes:

>While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, MrAoD of AOL
>http://www.aol.com said:
>
>>>I have two whole plaice in my refrigerator, but no idea how to cook
>>>it, since I don't want to just cut them into filets, coat them, and
>>>fry them.

>>May we assume that the plaice (sole/flounder for da Merkins in da house)

>have
>>been beheaded, gutted, and/or skinned?
>>

>They've been gutted, but nothing else.

Skin on?
>>Also, how long have they been in your refrigerator? Two-three days max,
>>otherwise you may as well compost them.
>>

>I bought them today, and plan to cook them tomorrow.

Sorry I'm a bit tardy in my reply but . . .

>They're about 0,5 kg combined
>( http://members.aol.com/javawizard/numbers.html should convert to
>your local units)

Two weighing in at a little over a pound? Kinda small but . . .
>I'll have to admit that I've never stuffed food before (unless you
>count stuffing it into my mouth), so I'd appreciate it if you could
>tell me how to do that

Most terse explanation I found since it's 5:30 am local and I haven't had
enough coffee to explain on my own:

"Slice each flounder on the dark side down the middle. Slice toward the sides
making a pocket under the meat large enough to place the seafood stuffing."

"Dark side" I take to refer to the top of the fish - dark skin - not the belly.
Cut along the center bone on either side, not all the way to the end of the
fish. Run your knife towards the edges, under the top filet but above the
ribs. Cut through the ribs on one side and remove center bone and the
remaining attached rib bones, then remove the detached rib bones. Pair of
needle nosed pliers works wonders.

Then just roll your stuffing into an oval and slide into the resulting pocket.

As for stuffings, florentine (spinach, ricotta or sour cream, and mushrooms)
comes to mind. Also, what Dmitri said . . .

Best,

Marc
Best,

MEow

http://www.aol.com said:

>>>May we assume that the plaice (sole/flounder for da Merkins in da house)

>>have
>>>been beheaded, gutted, and/or skinned?
>>>

>>They've been gutted, but nothing else.

>Skin on?

Yes, and they haven't been decapitated either. Do I need to skin
and/or decapitate them before cooking them?
I'm pretty much a beginner at this, so I don't know these kind of
things.

>>>Also, how long have they been in your refrigerator? Two-three days max,
>>>otherwise you may as well compost them.
>>>

>>I bought them today, and plan to cook them tomorrow.

>Sorry I'm a bit tardy in my reply but . . .

No stress. I won't have them before dinner.

>>They're about 0,5 kg combined
>>( http://members.aol.com/javawizard/numbers.html should convert to
>>your local units)

>Two weighing in at a little over a pound? Kinda small but . . .

I thought it was a pretty normal size. How long do you think would be
appropriate to cook plaice that size, stuffed?

>>I'll have to admit that I've never stuffed food before (unless you
>>count stuffing it into my mouth), so I'd appreciate it if you could
>>tell me how to do that

>Most terse explanation I found since it's 5:30 am local and I haven't had
>enough coffee to explain on my own:
>
>"Slice each flounder on the dark side down the middle. Slice toward the sides
>making a pocket under the meat large enough to place the seafood stuffing."
>
>"Dark side" I take to refer to the top of the fish - dark skin - not the belly.
> Cut along the center bone on either side, not all the way to the end of the
>fish. Run your knife towards the edges, under the top filet but above the
>ribs. Cut through the ribs on one side and remove center bone and the
>remaining attached rib bones, then remove the detached rib bones. Pair of
>needle nosed pliers works wonders.
>
>Then just roll your stuffing into an oval and slide into the resulting pocket.
>
>As for stuffings, florentine (spinach, ricotta or sour cream, and mushrooms)
>comes to mind. Also, what Dmitri said . . .

I'll probably try something like what Dmitri suggested, as non dairy
replacement for sour cream is quite expensive.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"The best ballerina is an upside down ballerina. (afdaniain)
MEow

While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, Dimitri of SBC
http://yahoo.sbc.com said:

>BAKED FLOUNDER ROLLS WITH TOMATO, BELL PEPPER, AND BACON
>6 slices of lean bacon, chopped fine
>1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
>2/3 cup minced green bell pepper
>1/2 cup dry white wine
>a 28-ounce can tomatoes including the juice, chopped
>1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried basil
>six 1/2-pound flounder fillets, halved lengthwise and seasoned with salt and
>pepper
>1/2 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
>2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
>1 tablespoon olive oil

I think I'm going to make something like this, only without bacon, and
stuff my plaice with it. I have one more question, though: Is it so
that I use the ingredients listed before the fish, as the sauce, and
the ingredients listed after as stuffing, or?
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"Er staat een eland op je hoofd!" Eggbert
"Hy is onzichtbaar en zonder gewicht" Jan van den Broek (afdaniain)
"Hij is ook stil en heeft geen geur." Pixel (defies definition)
Dimitri

"MEow" > wrote in message
> While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, Dimitri of SBC
> http://yahoo.sbc.com said:
>

> >BAKED FLOUNDER ROLLS WITH TOMATO, BELL PEPPER, AND BACON
> >6 slices of lean bacon, chopped fine
> >1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
> >2/3 cup minced green bell pepper
> >1/2 cup dry white wine
> >a 28-ounce can tomatoes including the juice, chopped
> >1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried basil
> >six 1/2-pound flounder fillets, halved lengthwise and seasoned with salt

and
> >pepper
> >1/2 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
> >2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
> >1 tablespoon olive oil
> >

> I think I'm going to make something like this, only without bacon, and
> stuff my plaice with it. I have one more question, though: Is it so
> that I use the ingredients listed before the fish, as the sauce, and
> the ingredients listed after as stuffing, or?

The ingredients "after the fish" are used as a topping to "crisp" the dish
if you will, an au gratin or a topping.

That is how I read the recipe.

Dimitri

MrAoD

MEow writes:
>While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, MrAoD of AOL

>>>have
>>>>
>>>They've been gutted, but nothing else.

>>Skin on?

>Yes, and they haven't been decapitated either. Do I need to skin
>and/or decapitate them before cooking them?

Decapitate or not, your preference. Merkins are more squeamish about head-on
fish than most other folks.

You don't need to skin them, I wouldn't, but again most folks of my
acquaintance/nationality don't like the visual or taste of fish skin. Plaice
skin is very mild so don't put yourself out if you don't need to.

>I'm pretty much a beginner at this, so I don't know these kind of
>things.

Everyone was a beginner at one time. You should've seen the hash I made of my
first trout . . .

>>>I bought them today, and plan to cook them tomorrow.

>>Sorry I'm a bit tardy in my reply but . . .
>>

>No stress. I won't have them before dinner.

Enjoy. Chicken florentine for five on this side of the pond, courtesy of me.

>>>They're about 0,5 kg combined
>>>( http://members.aol.com/javawizard/numbers.html should convert to
>>>your local units)

>>Two weighing in at a little over a pound? Kinda small but . . .

>I thought it was a pretty normal size.

Eh, around these parts a small (summer) flounder goes around .7 kg, or just
under a pound, but that's gutted, beheaded, and usually skinned. As I said,
Merkins . . .

>How long do you think would be
>appropriate to cook plaice that size, stuffed?

Baking, 20 minutes in a medium oven. Broiling, 10 minutes max.

>>>I'll have to admit that I've never stuffed food before (unless you
>>>count stuffing it into my mouth), so I'd appreciate it if you could
>>>tell me how to do that

>>Most terse explanation I found since it's 5:30 am local and I haven't had
>>enough coffee to explain on my own:
>>
>>"Slice each flounder on the dark side down the middle. Slice toward the

>sides
>>making a pocket under the meat large enough to place the seafood stuffing."
>>
>>"Dark side" I take to refer to the top of the fish - dark skin - not the

>belly.
>> Cut along the center bone on either side, not all the way to the end of the
>>fish. Run your knife towards the edges, under the top filet but above the
>>ribs. Cut through the ribs on one side and remove center bone and the
>>remaining attached rib bones, then remove the detached rib bones. Pair of
>>needle nosed pliers works wonders.
>>
>>Then just roll your stuffing into an oval and slide into the resulting

>pocket.
>>
>>As for stuffings, florentine (spinach, ricotta or sour cream, and mushrooms)
>>comes to mind. Also, what Dmitri said . . .
>>

>I'll probably try something like what Dmitri suggested, as non dairy
>replacement for sour cream is quite expensive.

Well, spinach and shrooms are a current kick for me, so florentine comes
naturally - the dairy is pretty much a binder. You could substitute margarine
or some oil with breadcrumbs as a binder to hold your main ingredient(s)
together.

Good luck, enjoy, and bon appetit.

Best,

Marc
MEow

While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, MEow of Feline.Inc said:

[snip all]

I've just eaten one of the best dinners I've ever cooked, if not *the*
best!

Thank you very much, Marc and Dimitri!

I made a smaller batch of the sauce in Dimitri's recipe, without the
bacon, and with red bell pepper + extra shallots in stead of a green
bell pepper, as I discovered, too late, that I had no green ones. Then
I tried my best to prepare the fish as March had described, but what a
struggle to get out the bones! Good thing I didn't skin the fish, or
it would've been a mess! I then filled the fish with
breadcrumbs/oil/dried basil, poured the sauce over the fish and -ehm-
cooked it in the oven for 10 minutes.

In any case, it was worth the struggling with getting the bones out;
and I can reheat, and enjoy, the other fish tomorrow (two fish is a
bit much for one meal, but I didn't want to start up the oven for just
one!)
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"So you're saying rhinos and hippos *can* jump? Odd..." Nemo (a.a.)
MrAoD

MEow writes:

>While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, MEow of Feline.Inc said:
>
>[snip all]
>
>I've just eaten one of the best dinners I've ever cooked, if not *the*
>best!

Congrats!
>Thank you very much, Marc and Dimitri!

[pats self on back, shakes virtual hands with Dimitri]
>I made a smaller batch of the sauce in Dimitri's recipe, without the
>bacon, and with red bell pepper + extra shallots in stead of a green
>bell pepper, as I discovered, too late, that I had no green ones.

Improvisation and inspiration are indistinguishable in the kitchen.

>Then
>I tried my best to prepare the fish as March had described, but what a
>struggle to get out the bones! Good thing I didn't skin the fish, or
>it would've been a mess!

Double congrats. Either you've got mad knife skills or beginner's luck out the
yoo-hoo. Took me a couple of tries before I got it right, you did it on the
first.

Best,

Marc
MEow

http://www.aol.com said:

>>Then
>>I tried my best to prepare the fish as March had described, but what a
>>struggle to get out the bones! Good thing I didn't skin the fish, or
>>it would've been a mess!

>Double congrats. Either you've got mad knife skills or beginner's luck out the
>yoo-hoo. Took me a couple of tries before I got it right, you did it on the
>first.

They didn't turn out exactly as you described, but they were useful
(meaning whole and with something to stick the stuffing into) in any
case. I can be very stubborn if I want to, though there was still a
bit of bones left in the fish afterwards because I couldn't get it to
let go at the sides, so I just cut through the bones very close to the
side.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"No. *Real* men eat whatever they like." Chwith (AFV)
Doug Weller

On 08 Jan 2004 17:38:46 GMT, MrAoD wrote:
[SNIP]
> May we assume that the plaice (sole/flounder for da Merkins in da house) have
> been beheaded, gutted, and/or skinned?

If this is European plaice, it is a flatfish but it isn't the same as sole
or flounder.
http://www.infochembio.ethz.ch/links...che_platt.html

Doug

MEow

While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, Doug Weller of said:

>If this is European plaice, it is a flatfish but it isn't the same as sole
>or flounder.
>http://www.infochembio.ethz.ch/links...che_platt.html

That's the one, yes.

http://ichtyonb1.mnhn.fr/Summary/Spe...ry.cfm?ID=1342 should
link directly, but now I've already gotten a recipe which worked fine.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
“Sometimes I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists
elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us”
Calvin (Calvin & Hobbes)

strangozzi recipe wanted Kate Connally General Cooking 13 25-02-2010 10:32 PM
Recipe Wanted Jack Allen Preserving 1 15-08-2007 09:44 PM
Recipe wanted Dick Adams Vegetarian cooking 2 04-09-2006 10:22 AM
Recipe wanted Dick Adams General Cooking 4 18-08-2006 05:41 AM
Panettone recipe wanted... Richard Washbourne Baking 12 11-12-2003 04:21 AM