Richard Washbourne

Default Panettone recipe wanted...

The subject says it all really - does anyone out there have a good recipe
for that wonderful Italian cake* Panettone? I've seen a few on the internet
but there is a lot of variation and want something someone can thoroughly
recommend.

Thanks in advance...

:-P

* technically a "bread" I know but who eats it like bread?

Karen

"Richard Washbourne" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> The subject says it all really - does anyone out there have a good recipe
> for that wonderful Italian cake* Panettone? I've seen a few on the

internet
> but there is a lot of variation and want something someone can thoroughly
> recommend.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> :-P
>
> * technically a "bread" I know but who eats it like bread?

Here's my tried-and-true version of pannetone. Warning: It's addictive!
;-)

Karen

PANNETONE

1/4 cup diced orange peel
1/4 cup diced lemon peel
1/4 cup diced citron (optional)
1/2 cup dark raisins
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup currants (optional)
1/4 cup dry sherry

Toss fruit in sherry; let stand 30 minutes. Measure flour (see recipe
below), then combine drained dried fruit with the flour.

1 cup warm water (110°F)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup plain, nonfat yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of one lemon
1/2 cup white sugar (can decrease to 1/4 cup if desired)
3 1/2 cups unbleached flour
2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast (or 1/4-ounce package)

In medium bowl, combine yeast, water, and sugar. Cover and let stand 10
minutes, or until foamy. Add eggs, yogurt, vanilla, lemon zest, and salt.
Mix well. Stir in flour (to which dried fruit has been added) 1/2 cup at a
time until dough forms a manageable ball. Turn out onto a lightly floured
surface and knead for 5 to 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary, until
dough is soft and pliable but not sticky. (May need up to 5 cups flour.)
Place dough in a large, lightly Pam-sprayed bowl, cover, and let rise in a
warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and spray a round 8-inch cake pan with
nonstick spray. Punch down dough. Form dough into a ball, place in
prepared cake pan, cover loosely with dish towel, and let rise 30 minutes.
(Loaf will rise above the pan sides.) Brush with 1 tablespoon melted
butter, if desired. Bake on lowest rack in oven for 45 minutes, or until
loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cover loaf with foil during last 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent
overbrowning. Makes 1 loaf (10 wedges).

Note: I've also made this successfully in my bread machine. Just add
ingredients in the order that your ABM manufacturer recommends (remember,
the dried fruit will be mixed with the flour) and bake on large light loaf
setting.

To make smaller individual pannetone for gift-giving, punch down and divide
dough (after first rise) into 4 equal portions. Form into balls and place
in Pam-sprayed 2-cup soufflé dishes; cover loosely with dish towel, and let
rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 325°F for about 30 minutes. Cover with foil
last 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.

Reg

Richard Washbourne wrote:

> The subject says it all really - does anyone out there have a good recipe
> for that wonderful Italian cake* Panettone? I've seen a few on the internet
> but there is a lot of variation and want something someone can thoroughly
> recommend.

As an aside, I like to bake panettone in a clay flowerpot. Comes
out very nice.

Richard Washbourne

What a great idea - I've heard that baking in a large coffee tin works well
to get the traditional shape.

"Reg" > wrote in message
. com...
> Richard Washbourne wrote:
>
> > The subject says it all really - does anyone out there have a good

recipe
> > for that wonderful Italian cake* Panettone? I've seen a few on the

internet
> > but there is a lot of variation and want something someone can

thoroughly
> > recommend.

> As an aside, I like to bake panettone in a clay flowerpot. Comes
> out very nice.
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

Richard Washbourne

Cool! Thanks - I'm off to the grocery store to get the ingredients

Thank you :-)

"Karen" > wrote in message

> [...]

clean.
> Cover loaf with foil during last 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent
> overbrowning. Makes 1 loaf (10 wedges).
>
> Note: I've also made this successfully in my bread machine. Just add
> ingredients in the order that your ABM manufacturer recommends (remember,
> the dried fruit will be mixed with the flour) and bake on large light loaf
> setting.
>
> To make smaller individual pannetone for gift-giving, punch down and

divide
> dough (after first rise) into 4 equal portions. Form into balls and place
> in Pam-sprayed 2-cup soufflé dishes; cover loosely with dish towel, and

let
> rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 325°F for about 30 minutes. Cover with foil
> last 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.

Graham

"Richard Washbourne" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> What a great idea - I've heard that baking in a large coffee tin works

well
> to get the traditional shape.

Don't forget to line the tin with parchment. You'll regret it otherwise!!!
Graham

Reg

Richard Washbourne wrote:

> What a great idea - I've heard that baking in a large coffee tin works well
> to get the traditional shape.

Coffee tins work quite well too. That's the thing to use if you want
perfect 90 degree sides. I have a very big flower pot that has
a very slight angle to it.

Since the shape is so odd and there is so much surface covered by
the cooking container I take it out when it's about 3/4 done,
remove it from the pot, then finish cooking it right on the
baking stone. This adds some needed crisp to the crust, which
can be a bit too soft and colorless otherwise.

Reg

Graham wrote:

> "Richard Washbourne" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>
>>What a great idea - I've heard that baking in a large coffee tin works

> well
>>to get the traditional shape.
>>

> Don't forget to line the tin with parchment. You'll regret it otherwise!!!
> Graham

Definetely true. If I'm feeling lucky some oil and a good dose of
coarse corn meal will work, but parchment is best. One reason I
use a flower pot with a slight slope to it is that it makes for
an easier release.

Dee Randall

Karen, I made your pannetone recipe today. If you want to see it, I put it
on a page of my website at
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com...breadbydee.htm
I hope the picture comes up -- it's the first one -- I've not had my spouse
check to see if it got uploaded.

I took your basic recipe, put it in the bread machine, eventually adding so
much flour that I knew that I couldn't chance it to bake in the bread
machine because it would rise above the lid. Instead of the 2 1/4 teaspoons
dry yeast , I used 2 teaspoons of instant yeast, which is the type of yeast
I always use for the bread machine. I put it on the "sweet" setting for 2
hours (the complete baking on "sweet" is 2:50).

Mary Ann Espisito in one of her books re Pannetone says after a rising of 6
hours to place it in a well- greased (I used heavy butter) and floured crock
pot for 35 minutes to rise.. I let it rise in the crockpot for 1-1/2 hours
after the 2 hours in the bread machine. I followed Espisito's
instructions and cut an X in the top of the bread and baked 5 minutes at
400, 10 minutes at 375. and 30 minutes at 350 (she called for 30-35 minutes)
The last 5 minutes I put foil over the top to keep it from overbrowning.

One thing I missed was an extract, and I can't recall what extract they
normally use in the store-bought Pannetone's that seems to me to be the
hallmark of what a Pannetone smells (as well as tastes like). I have never
bought the bakery-made ones in Whole Foods, so I can't speak for their
taste.

Again, thanks Karen for sending in the recipe and spurring me on to make my
first Pannetone.

(I toasted a couple of pieces and put some raspberry jam on it.)

Dee

"Karen" > wrote in message

> [...]

clean.
> Cover loaf with foil during last 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent
> overbrowning. Makes 1 loaf (10 wedges).
>
> Note: I've also made this successfully in my bread machine. Just add
> ingredients in the order that your ABM manufacturer recommends (remember,
> the dried fruit will be mixed with the flour) and bake on large light loaf
> setting.
>
> To make smaller individual pannetone for gift-giving, punch down and

divide
> dough (after first rise) into 4 equal portions. Form into balls and place
> in Pam-sprayed 2-cup soufflé dishes; cover loosely with dish towel, and

let
> rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 325°F for about 30 minutes. Cover with foil
> last 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.

Reg

Dee Randall wrote:

> Karen, I made your pannetone recipe today. If you want to see it, I put it
> on a page of my website at
> http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com...breadbydee.htm
> I hope the picture comes up -- it's the first one -- I've not had my spouse
> check to see if it got uploaded.

That's quite a nice looking panettone. Great work!

Karen

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Karen, I made your pannetone recipe today. <snip>

Dee, your pannetone looks perfect - you did a great job on it! I'm so glad
I was able to help you out with a recipe. I haven't made this in a couple
of years, and I miss it. I was diagnosed with diabetes last year, and
breads aren't in my meal plan as they spike my blood sugar something
fierce...sigh.

It took me a long time to perfect this recipe. I'd had some excellent
store-bought pannetone and wanted to recreate that taste, which spurred me
into action. This comes pretty close!

The crockpot-rising idea is a good one; I'll have to remember that for the
future.

Thanks for letting us know how your pannetone turned out.

Karen

LIMEYNO1

Dee, your results are fantastic! I've been having good results with a nice
rye bread recipe, but haven't scanned any pictures yet.

Dee Randall

Thank you, Limey No. 1 (from England?)
I hope you will put them on a website, if you have one, so I can see our
results. If you don't have one, you can always mail me a scanned copy if
you so wish. Rye breads are sticky situations, heh?
My best,
Dee

"LIMEYNO1" > wrote in message
> Dee, your results are fantastic! I've been having good results with a

nice
> rye bread recipe, but haven't scanned any pictures yet.

Best Panettone? Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 16 28-12-2008 06:20 PM
Recipe Wanted Jack Allen Preserving 1 15-08-2007 09:44 PM
Recipe wanted Dick Adams Vegetarian cooking 2 04-09-2006 10:22 AM
Recipe wanted Dick Adams General Cooking 4 18-08-2006 05:41 AM
Panettone Pandora General Cooking 26 11-10-2005 05:30 PM