PeachLady

Default THANK YOU BARB SCHALLER! (kinda long...).

Sorry this took so long - I think my account expired! Barb Schaller
and I have been friends for 8 years, thanks to RFC, and last week we
finally met face to face. Barb and Rob, there are no words to thank
you for the hospitality that you showed us last week! You made us so
welcome, and we had a much-needed relaxing week. I hope we can return
the favor soon. We took along some Virginia and North Carolina stuff,
Bertie County peanuts, Late Harvest Vidal wine and wine jelly from the
Williamsburg Winery, and a few jars of Miss Lula's peach preserves
from Pea Ridge, North Carolina (kinda' like taking coals to Newcastle,
huh?). When we got to our room, there was a basket of Minnesota
goodies waiting for us. Barb, those Old Dutch potato chips were
sooooo good - we saved those for the trip home.

Barb took us to Al's in Dinkytown, and we had THE BEST Eggs Benedict
that I have ever had, with real hollandaise to die for, accompanied by
toast with Barb's apricot-mango-pineapple jam, which disappeared PDQ.
What a treat! That place is an instant party!

The first night we were there, we had dinner at Buca di Beppo with
Barb and Rob, and another net friend whom we had never met face to
face before, Joseph Pillsbury (www.bogworld.com). My first thought,
when I walked into one of these places and looked at the walls was,
"How did they get all the stuff from my grandparents' house???" The
thin spinach appetizer pizza was delicious. We had a salad with
prosciutto and gorgonzola (two of my favorite things), and ribs and
linguine frutti di mare, with mussels, scallops calamari and clams in
red sauce. Dessert was at Barb's house - coffee and brownies, of
course! What a great start to the vacation! As Joseph said, it takes
the friendship beyond the little gray box on my desk.

Tuesday and Wednesday night, we had dinner at Barb's house, with some
of the wonderful comfort food that I remember growing up in
Pittsburgh. I have not had Polish sausage that tasted like that in
years! The pannekoeken for breakfast on Tuesday was HEAVEN, and thank
you very much for the recipe. We went to Kramarczyk's and to the Red
Balloon (children's book store), and to Cooks of Crocus Hill, and,
(oh, joy, delight), *Penzey's*. I had never been in one before. The
catalog just ain't the same. I am envious that you in the Twin Cities
have three and we have none.

The Twin Cities are so beautiful! There are parks everywhere, and the
*flowers* are just stunning. Perhaps we take our weather for granted
here in the south, but it seemed to me that there were more flowers
per unit area in the Minneapolis/St. Paul than there are here.

Barb and Rob could not have been more thoughtful hosts, and we got to
meet their daughter and son-in-law, and the delightful Samantha, their
granddaughter. What a sweetheart!

We are back home now, and I am back at work, but the memories will
keep me going for quite some time. Thank you, Barb and Rob! And
Barb, I hope we didn't disrupt your week too badly, but you surely
packed a lot of good memories into those few days. Love and big hugs
to both of you, and your wonderful family!

Bonnie and Tom
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(PeachLady) wrote:

> Sorry this took so long - I think my account expired! Barb Schaller
> and I have been friends for 8 years, thanks to RFC, and last week we
> finally met face to face. Barb and Rob, there are no words to thank
> you for the hospitality that you showed us last week! You made us so
> welcome, and we had a much-needed relaxing week. I hope we can return
> the favor soon. We took along some Virginia and North Carolina stuff,
> Bertie County peanuts, Late Harvest Vidal wine and wine jelly from the
> Williamsburg Winery, and a few jars of Miss Lula's peach preserves
> from Pea Ridge, North Carolina (kinda' like taking coals to Newcastle,
> huh?). When we got to our room, there was a basket of Minnesota
> goodies waiting for us. Barb, those Old Dutch potato chips were
> sooooo good - we saved those for the trip home.

(snip)
> The Twin Cities are so beautiful! There are parks everywhere, and the
> *flowers* are just stunning. Perhaps we take our weather for granted
> here in the south, but it seemed to me that there were more flowers
> per unit area in the Minneapolis/St. Paul than there are here.
>
> Barb and Rob could not have been more thoughtful hosts, and we got to
> meet their daughter and son-in-law, and the delightful Samantha, their
> granddaughter. What a sweetheart!
>
> We are back home now, and I am back at work, but the memories will
> keep me going for quite some time. Thank you, Barb and Rob! And
> Barb, I hope we didn't disrupt your week too badly, but you surely
> packed a lot of good memories into those few days. Love and big hugs
> to both of you, and your wonderful family!
>
> Bonnie and Tom

Wow! What kind words. Thanks, Dearie. It's fun to show folks around
the Twin Cities a bit -- there's an awful lot we did not see. I'm glad
you found us to be worth seeing. I think a lot of folks were surprised
to learn that we'd only recently met face to face. You're as down to
earth in person as you are online -- only funnier. "Bless your heart. .
.. . " Did I mention that Tom is quite charming? Rob's mentioned the
pleasure of your company a couple times since you left. I need to drink
the Late Harvest Wine; the peanuts are long gone, and one jar of Miss
Lula Deeton's Peach Preserves is gone -- we wiped it out on Sunday
morning's pancakes.
Glad you got home safe and sound -- I'm hearing about Tropical Storm (is
that what it's called right now?) Bonnie and hope all's well at the
homestead. It was a pleasure to have you, Bonnie. Come again, eh?
(I picked up a box of Colorado peaches yesterday -- I'm a glutton for
punishment.)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(PeachLady) wrote:

> Sorry this took so long - I think my account expired! Barb Schaller
> and I have been friends for 8 years, thanks to RFC, and last week we
> finally met face to face. Barb and Rob, there are no words to thank
> you for the hospitality that you showed us last week! You made us so
> welcome, and we had a much-needed relaxing week. I hope we can return
> the favor soon. We took along some Virginia and North Carolina stuff,
> Bertie County peanuts, Late Harvest Vidal wine and wine jelly from the
> Williamsburg Winery, and a few jars of Miss Lula's peach preserves
> from Pea Ridge, North Carolina (kinda' like taking coals to Newcastle,
> huh?). When we got to our room, there was a basket of Minnesota
> goodies waiting for us. Barb, those Old Dutch potato chips were
> sooooo good - we saved those for the trip home.

(snip)
> The Twin Cities are so beautiful! There are parks everywhere, and the
> *flowers* are just stunning. Perhaps we take our weather for granted
> here in the south, but it seemed to me that there were more flowers
> per unit area in the Minneapolis/St. Paul than there are here.
>
> Barb and Rob could not have been more thoughtful hosts, and we got to
> meet their daughter and son-in-law, and the delightful Samantha, their
> granddaughter. What a sweetheart!
>
> We are back home now, and I am back at work, but the memories will
> keep me going for quite some time. Thank you, Barb and Rob! And
> Barb, I hope we didn't disrupt your week too badly, but you surely
> packed a lot of good memories into those few days. Love and big hugs
> to both of you, and your wonderful family!
>
> Bonnie and Tom

Wow! What kind words. Thanks, Dearie. It's fun to show folks around
the Twin Cities a bit -- there's an awful lot we did not see. I'm glad
you found us to be worth seeing. I think a lot of folks were surprised
to learn that we'd only recently met face to face. You're as down to
earth in person as you are online -- only funnier. "Bless your heart. .
.. . " Did I mention that Tom is quite charming? Rob's mentioned the
pleasure of your company a couple times since you left. I need to drink
the Late Harvest Wine; the peanuts are long gone, and one jar of Miss
Lula Deeton's Peach Preserves is gone -- we wiped it out on Sunday
morning's pancakes.
Glad you got home safe and sound -- I'm hearing about Tropical Storm (is
that what it's called right now?) Bonnie and hope all's well at the
homestead. It was a pleasure to have you, Bonnie. Come again, eh?
(I picked up a box of Colorado peaches yesterday -- I'm a glutton for
punishment.)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

PeachLady

Yes, the bag had that same logo on it. (At least I think it did - it
disappeared so quickly, I don't quite remember...YUM!) :-)

Bonnie

hahabogus > wrote in message >.. .
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbscxhaller-
> :

[...snip...]

> Is this what the box looks like?

http://tinyurl.com/687pq

PeachLady

hahabogus > wrote in message >.. .
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbscxhaller-
> :

[...snip...]

> Is this what the box looks like?

http://tinyurl.com/687pq
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, hahabogus
> wrote:
(snip)
> >> Are these the same as the Winnipeg Old Dutch Potato Chip Company?

> > Dunno. Ours bear St. Paul information.

> Is this what the box looks like?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/687pq

Right. (Too late I thought about describing the packaging. :-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, hahabogus
> wrote:
(snip)
> >> Are these the same as the Winnipeg Old Dutch Potato Chip Company?

> > Dunno. Ours bear St. Paul information.

> Is this what the box looks like?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/687pq

Right. (Too late I thought about describing the packaging. :-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

hahabogus

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbscxhaller-
:

> In article >, hahabogus
> > wrote:
> (snip)
>> >
>> > Dunno. Ours bear St. Paul information.

>> Is this what the box looks like?

http://tinyurl.com/687pq

> Right. (Too late I thought about describing the packaging. :-)

I believe that the Old Dutch Company moved to up here in the 50's. I could
be wrong.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
hahabogus

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbscxhaller-
:

> In article >, hahabogus
> > wrote:
> (snip)
>> >
>> > Dunno. Ours bear St. Paul information.

>> Is this what the box looks like?

http://tinyurl.com/687pq

> Right. (Too late I thought about describing the packaging. :-)

I believe that the Old Dutch Company moved to up here in the 50's. I could
be wrong.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.

hahabogus

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbscxhaller-
:

> In article >, hahabogus
> > wrote:
> (snip)
>> >
>> > Dunno. Ours bear St. Paul information.

>> Is this what the box looks like?

http://tinyurl.com/687pq

> Right. (Too late I thought about describing the packaging. :-)

I believe that the Old Dutch Company moved to up here in the 50's. I could
be wrong.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Melba's Jammin'

(snip)

http://www.olddutchfoods.com/corpora...20040426-1.php
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, hahabogus
> wrote:
(snip)
> I believe that the Old Dutch Company moved to up here in the 50's. I
> could be wrong.

http://www.olddutchfoods.com/corpora...20040426-1.php
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

hahabogus

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbscxhaller-
:

> In article >, hahabogus
> > wrote:
> (snip)
>> I believe that the Old Dutch Company moved to up here in the 50's. I
>> could be wrong.

http://www.olddutchfoods.com/corpora...20040426-1.php

Seems I was wrong...But they're heavily marketed here...and there is a head
office here....and a plant as well. One of my friends used to box the bags
of chips as a summer job in the sixties during summer vacation.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
hahabogus

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbscxhaller-
:

> In article >, hahabogus
> > wrote:
> (snip)
>> I believe that the Old Dutch Company moved to up here in the 50's. I
>> could be wrong.

http://www.olddutchfoods.com/corpora...20040426-1.php

Seems I was wrong...But they're heavily marketed here...and there is a head
office here....and a plant as well. One of my friends used to box the bags
of chips as a summer job in the sixties during summer vacation.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.

hahabogus

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbscxhaller-
:

> In article >, hahabogus
> > wrote:
> (snip)
>> I believe that the Old Dutch Company moved to up here in the 50's. I
>> could be wrong.

http://www.olddutchfoods.com/corpora...20040426-1.php

Seems I was wrong...But they're heavily marketed here...and there is a head
office here....and a plant as well. One of my friends used to box the bags
of chips as a summer job in the sixties during summer vacation.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Goomba38

hahabogus wrote:

> Seems I was wrong...But they're heavily marketed here...and there is a head
> office here....and a plant as well. One of my friends used to box the bags
> of chips as a summer job in the sixties during summer vacation.

Remember Charles Chips, with their big can and home delivery? We must
have eaten a lot more chips back then, huh?
Goomba

Goomba38

hahabogus wrote:

> Seems I was wrong...But they're heavily marketed here...and there is a head
> office here....and a plant as well. One of my friends used to box the bags
> of chips as a summer job in the sixties during summer vacation.

Remember Charles Chips, with their big can and home delivery? We must
have eaten a lot more chips back then, huh?
Goomba

Rick & Cyndi

"PeachLady" <

<snip>

> The first night we were there, we had dinner at Buca di Beppo with
> Barb and Rob, and another net friend whom we had never met face to

face before, Joseph Pillsbury (www.bogworld.com). My first thought,
when I walked into one of these places and looked at the walls was,
"How did they get all the stuff from my grandparents' house???"

<snip>

> Bonnie and Tom

========

I'm not sure "how they got all the stuff..." either but there is a Buca di
Beppo in the Brandon/Tampa area (Florida) and the walls are just covered
with stuff all over! I was floored by all of the pictures and posters.

Cyndi

Rick & Cyndi

"PeachLady" <

<snip>