Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC - For Barb Schaller

In article 1>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> Since neither of us make the greatest meatloaf I went searching for a new
> recipe. This recipe of Tyler Florence's has tomato relish, thought you
> might be interested. I have not made it yet.
>
> Dad's Meatloaf with Tomato Relish Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
> Show: Tyler's Ultimate
> Episode: Ultimate Meatloaf
>
> Tomato Relish:
> Extra-virgin olive oil
> 1 onion, finely diced
> 2 garlic cloves, minced
> 2 bay leaves
> 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and finely diced
> 2 tomatoes, halved, seeded, and finely diced
> 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
> 1 (12-ounce) bottle ketchup
> 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
> Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

> Michael

Huh. Let me know how you like it. :-) You lost me when I had to make
my own relish and it uses a whole freakin' bottle of ketchup. Thanks.
I think.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article 1>,
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:
>

>>Since neither of us make the greatest meatloaf I went searching for a new
>>recipe. This recipe of Tyler Florence's has tomato relish, thought you
>>might be interested. I have not made it yet.
>>
>>Dad's Meatloaf with Tomato Relish Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
>>Show: Tyler's Ultimate
>>Episode: Ultimate Meatloaf
>>
>>Tomato Relish:
>>Extra-virgin olive oil
>>1 onion, finely diced
>>2 garlic cloves, minced
>>2 bay leaves
>>2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and finely diced
>>2 tomatoes, halved, seeded, and finely diced
>>1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
>>1 (12-ounce) bottle ketchup
>>1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
>>Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

>>Michael

> Huh. Let me know how you like it. :-) You lost me when I had to make
> my own relish and it uses a whole freakin' bottle of ketchup. Thanks.
> I think.

I tried to make it. Without any meat in the recipe, it was kind of
weird. It didn't even look like a meatloaf and came out sort of
shapeless. There were no directions to follow and I may have done
something wrong. )
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' >
> :
>

>> Huh. Let me know how you like it. :-) You lost me when I had to
>> make my own relish and it uses a whole freakin' bottle of ketchup.
>> Thanks. I think.

> I probably won't make it. I'm not big on ketchup and meatloaf, for
> me, needs to be quick, easy and tasty (which it seldom is). I'm not a
> big ketchup fan and usually use an onion or brown gravy to put on top
> of the loaf.
>
> Michael

I despise ketchup on meatloaf... but then, unlike Stan I don't like ketchup.
It just doesn't make sense to me. I do, however, use a little bit of
bottled cocktail sauce in the meatloaf mixture along with quick cooking
oats, rather than breadcrumbs, as a filler. My mother mis-understood my
directions once when I said add 1/4 cup of bottled cocktail sauce. She
added 1 cup of cocktail sauce and complained it was too mushy. UM, that's
not what I wrote, Mom! She went back and read the recipe again... ooops!
LOL Dad still said it tasted fine. Ohwhatever

Jill