Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default For Barb Schaller

Christine was thoughtful:

> Just saw this article, and thought of you.
>
> http://www.theatlantic.com/food/arch...h-beets/59071/

Well, don't forget this!

Chocolate Beet Brownies

1/2 cup butter
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
4 eggs
1 packed cup brown sugar
1 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup cooked beets, mashed or processed to a smooth purée
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or hazelnuts
1/2 cup wheat germ

Melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Set aside to cool.

Grease a 13x9-inch pan. Make a "sling" out of parchment and place it so that
it covers the bottom and long sides of the pan completely. (If your roll of
parchment paper isn't at least 13 inches wide, you might need to use two
pieces of paper to get the "sling" right. It should overhang the long sides
of the pan by about an inch.) Grease and lightly flour the parchment paper.
(The grease on the pan is to keep the parchment from sticking. The grease on
the parchment is to keep the brownies from sticking.)

In a separate bowl, beat eggs until light in color and foamy. Add sugar and
vanilla and continue beating until well creamed. Stir in chocolate mixture,
followed by applesauce and beets.

Sift together flour, salt, spices and baking powder and stir into creamed
mixture. Fold in wheat germ and nuts.

Turn batter into prepared pan and bake at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool
for ten minutes, then use the sling to lift the entire works out of the pan
onto a cooling rack. (If you let it cool completely in the pan, the grease
beneath the parchment would solidify, making it more difficult to remove
from the pan.) Cool completely, then invert onto another rack and peel off
the parchment. Invert again onto a cutting board (so that it's right-side-up
again) and cut into whatever size you find appropriate for brownies. (PVC
would just pick up the whole thing and eat it like a sandwich with a gallon
of Goodrich Dinosaur Crunch ice cream and a half gallon of Old Crow, but not
all of us are sustaining an ass the size of Brazil.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Christine was thoughtful:
>
> > Just saw this article, and thought of you.
> >
> > http://www.theatlantic.com/food/arch...ow-to-make-pea
> > ce-with-beets/59071/

> Well, don't forget this!
>
> Chocolate Beet Brownies

Or do. Dear Lord!
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
On June 25, celebrating 65 years of joy and wonder. I got the joy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
j h j h is offline

So much hother and pother over an innocent root vegetable. Add a can of
drained sliced beets to the leftover juice from a jar of bread and
butter pickles and you will get truly tasty pickled beets. jan