cheaper by the dozen

Default baking squash - cut side UP or DOWN??

I have a weird gray-skinned round squash, cut in half and ready for the
oven. I've found contradicting recipes on the web - do I bake cut side UP
or Down??

Thanks!

PENMART01

"cheaper by the dozen" writes:

>I've found contradicting recipes on the web - do I bake cut side UP
>or Down??

Bake = cut side up

Steam = cut side down

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Peter Aitken

"cheaper by the dozen" > wrote in message
.. .
> I have a weird gray-skinned round squash, cut in half and ready for the
> oven. I've found contradicting recipes on the web - do I bake cut side UP
> or Down??
>
> Thanks!

Doesn's matter unless you are topping with some brown sugar or something
similar in which case cut side up.

--
Peter Aitken

Julia Altshuler

cheaper by the dozen wrote:
> I have a weird gray-skinned round squash, cut in half and ready for the
> oven. I've found contradicting recipes on the web - do I bake cut side UP
> or Down??

I can see that this could be one of those "which way should the toilet
paper roll be hung" sort of things. I bake squashes cut side down. My
boyfriend bakes them up. I usually start dinner so I start the squashes
down. He then goes into the kitchen, flips the squashes and puts a
little butter in them with the theory that the butter will bake in
before serving.

(To answer your question, it doesn't make a huge difference one way or
t'other.)

--Lia

Taffy Stoker

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 21:28:06 GMT, "cheaper by the dozen"
> wrote:

>I have a weird gray-skinned round squash, cut in half and ready for the
>oven. I've found contradicting recipes on the web - do I bake cut side UP
>or Down??
>
>Thanks!

I bake mine cut side down and before putting them down I brush the cut
side with a little olive oil to keep it from sticking to the pan.