Frederick Pileggi

Default Acorn squash - Looking for baking recipe

Looking for a recipe that is simple to bake and serve. I figure to cut
in half, scoop out the center and ??

_Fred

Wayne Boatwright

"Frederick Pileggi" > wrote in
:

> Looking for a recipe that is simple to bake and serve. I figure
> to cut
> in half, scoop out the center and ??
>
> _Fred

There to be at least dozens of ways, many of them simple. The simplest?
Probably buttered with a bit of salt and pepper, baked until tender. If
you prefer them sweet, add a bit of brown sugar or honey.

Wayne
jmcquown

Frederick Pileggi wrote:
> Looking for a recipe that is simple to bake and serve. I figure
> to cut in half, scoop out the center and ??
>
> _Fred

Fill the center with butter, sprinkle with salt & pepper, bake at 350F for
an hour or until fork-tender. One of my favourite squashes!

Jill

Ol' Hippie

What Jill & Wayne said good stuff

--
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
one pretty well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,

V Crenshaw

I put a little butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.

"Frederick Pileggi" > wrote in message
> Looking for a recipe that is simple to bake and serve. I figure to

cut
> in half, scoop out the center and ??
>
> _Fred

Frederick Pileggi

Thanks everyone_ butter, brown suger and s&p seem to be the concensus.
I'll make a small foil tent to try to keep everything moist.
_Fred
"V Crenshaw" > wrote in message
> I put a little butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
>
> "Frederick Pileggi" > wrote in message
> > Looking for a recipe that is simple to bake and serve. I figure to

> cut
> > in half, scoop out the center and ??
> >
> > _Fred

LIMEYNO1

I stick the whole thing in the microwave for 15 minutes. Cut in half.
Remove seeds. Scoop out pulp and serve.

"Frederick Pileggi" > wrote in message
> Looking for a recipe that is simple to bake and serve. I figure to

cut
> in half, scoop out the center and ??
>
> _Fred

PENMART01

"Frederick Pileggi" writes:

>Thanks everyone_ butter, brown suger and s&p seem to be the concensus.

With a brown sugar version I'd omit the s n' p... instead you may want to add a
little cinnamon, some nuts and raisins too. I like baked winter squash draped
with bacon rashers or filled with crumbled breakfast sausage.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Becca

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Probably buttered with a bit of salt and pepper, baked until tender. If
> you prefer them sweet, add a bit of brown sugar or honey.

What he said.

I often microwave mine in a covered Corningware dish. Comes out great.

Becca
Dimitri

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Frederick Pileggi wrote:
> > Looking for a recipe that is simple to bake and serve. I figure
> > to cut in half, scoop out the center and ??
> >
> > _Fred

> Jill

Brush with maple syrup first then like Jill says "Fill the center with
butter, sprinkle with salt & pepper, bake at 350F for an hour or until
fork-tender."

Dimitri

Nancy Dooley

"Frederick Pileggi" > wrote in message >...
> Looking for a recipe that is simple to bake and serve. I figure to cut
> in half, scoop out the center and ??
>
> _Fred

I put it cut side down on a greased baking sheet and bake it for about
45 minutes or an hour (test with a fork to see if it's tender) at 375
or so. I like it just fine with butter, salt & pepper.

N.
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 05:01:16 GMT, "Frederick Pileggi"
> wrote:

> Looking for a recipe that is simple to bake and serve. I figure to cut
>in half, scoop out the center and ??

I usually cut a cap out of a surface that stays up stably. Scoop out
the seeds, salt and pepper (or Aleppo pepper) the inside surface, and
fill with something.

My most common stuffing is to fill with peeled garlic cloves and half
fill with olive oil. Sometimes I put in a hot pepper, split and
seeded.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Be careful. The toe you stepped on yesterday may be connected to the ass you have to kiss today." --Former mayor Ciancia

On 24-Nov-2003, "Frederick Pileggi" > wrote:

> Looking for a recipe that is simple to bake and serve. I figure to
> cut
> in half, scoop out the center and ??
>
> _Fred

Preheat oven to 400F; put halves in baking dish cut side down and bake for
20 min. Remove, turn cut side up, add a pat of butter and fill cavity
nearly full with Dr. Pepper, bake another 20 minutes or until flesh is soft.
Frederick Pileggi

Ok everyone_ As far as cooking, the squash has to share the oven with
bigbird... 325degrees is what I will be using Obviously the time in the
oven will be longer. Is the reason some recommend cooking cut side down in
either a water bath or greased sheet to prevent it drying out? As I
mentioned, I would tent them as best as I can in my scenario.
_Fred
> wrote in message
>
> On 24-Nov-2003, "Frederick Pileggi" > wrote:
>
> > Looking for a recipe that is simple to bake and serve. I figure to
> > cut
> > in half, scoop out the center and ??
> >
> > _Fred

> Preheat oven to 400F; put halves in baking dish cut side down and bake for
> 20 min. Remove, turn cut side up, add a pat of butter and fill cavity
> nearly full with Dr. Pepper, bake another 20 minutes or until flesh is

soft.

PENMART01

In article >, "Frederick Pileggi"
> writes:

>Ok everyone_ As far as cooking, the squash has to share the oven with
>bigbird... 325degrees is what I will be using Obviously the time in the
>oven will be longer. Is the reason some recommend cooking cut side down in
>either a water bath or greased sheet to prevent it drying out? As I
>mentioned, I would tent them as best as I can in my scenario.
>_Fred
> wrote in message
m...

>> On 24-Nov-2003, "Frederick Pileggi" > wrote:
>>
>> > Looking for a recipe that is simple to bake and serve. I figure to
>> > cut
>> > in half, scoop out the center and ??
>> >
>> > _Fred

>> Preheat oven to 400F; put halves in baking dish cut side down and bake for
>> 20 min. Remove, turn cut side up, add a pat of butter and fill cavity
>> nearly full with Dr. Pepper, bake another 20 minutes or until flesh is

>soft.

Cut side down is steamed , NOT baked... it's okay squash if you like baby food,
but it ain't baked.