A.T. Hagan

Default Gift for the oral surgery patient!

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 01:13:16 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>A little while ago my doorbell rang. My neighbor thrusted a baking dish
>toward me while saying, "hope this helps". Mmmmmm, it will!
>
>She is English, and brought me a dish of her mum's Bread and Butter
>Pudding. I coaxed her to dictate it to me as I keyed it in the recipe
>software, and here 'tis. Oh, I took just a teaspoon, then two, of the
>stuff and it is really delicious.
>
>If you need a little comfort food, you must give this a try!
>
>Wayne
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Fruited Bread and Butter Pudding
>
>Recipe By : Rebecca Smithhart
>Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :1:00
>Categories : Desserts, Comfort Food
>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 8 slices firm white bread with an open crumb -- day-old
> 2 ounces unsalted butter -- softened
> 1/3 cup dried cherries
> brandy or water
> 4 each eggs
> 1/2 cup granulated sugar
> 3 cups whole milk
> 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> cinnamon
> nutmeg
>
>Preheat oven to 325° F. Butter an 8x8 inch Pyrex baking dish and set
>aside.
>
>Trim crusts from bread, or leave a bit on. Set aside to dry a bit.
>
>Cover dried cherries with brandy or water and bring just to a boil.
>Allow to cool, then drain and set aside.
>
>Whisk eggs with sugar until well combined, but not frothy.
>
>Scald milk and set aside to cool to lukewarm.
>
>Spread butter on one side of the bread slices. Cut or tear into
>irregular shapes about 1x2 inches.
>
>arrange one layer of bread pieces in baking dish. Dust very lightly with
>cinnamon and nutmeg. Scatter 1/2 the amount of cherries over bread.
>
>Repeat with second layer of bread, spices, and cherries.
>
>Stir egg mixture into warm milk, adding vanilla and salt.
>
>Ladle custard mixture over bread, being careful not to disarrange the
>bread pieces. (Do not pour.) If the bread has an open crumb, it will
>readily absorb the liquid. Allow prepared dish to stand for 15-20
>minutes, occasionally pressing lightly with a fork to insure that all
>bread pieces are saturated and not floating.
>
>Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a knife
>inserted in the center comes out clean. If pudding is not as brown as
>desired, continue baking for another 10 minutes, then switch on broiler
>and watch closely until top of pudding is golden brown.
>
>Remove from oven to a cooling rack. Allow to cool until warm, but not
>still hot. Serve plain or with pouring cream. Pudding should be stored
>in the refrigerator, but should be allowed to come to room temperature
>before serving.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>NOTES :
> A firm bread with an open crumb will more easily absorb the
> [...]

Oh, very nice, Wayne!

I was just today thinking I wanted to find a good custardy bread
pudding recipe for all of the bread bits we're accumulating in the
freezer since we got that bread machine.

Thanks much.

......Alna.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -