Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

Default Gift poll: favorite cooking gift

I know I'm kinda new here and I think one needs to be more established
before posting polls. But after reading several posts here I find myself
curious about favorite gifts you've received for cooking. I thought
there might be some nice ideas in it for wish lists and gifts for
others. I don't do Christmas, so I am not asking for my own wish list

But I know I'll like knowing what has brought joy to people. You can
usually still hear that joy when people talk about those favorite gifts
and the moments that they received them

I am most curious about what you have enjoyed receiving, but giving
counts, too.

So: my favorite cooking gift would be an over dish that looks very
rustic and comforting. Another favorite were scales. They were, and are,
my first scales. I love them because I didn't know much about cooking
when I got them and they have helped me learn. Both gifts were given to
me by three friends, 2 of whom are still very good friends 10+ years later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"jake" > wrote in message
. nl...
>I know I'm kinda new here and I think one needs to be more established before
>posting polls. But after reading several posts here I find myself curious about
>favorite gifts you've received for cooking. I thought there might be some nice
>ideas in it for wish lists and gifts for others. I don't do Christmas, so I am
>not asking for my own wish list

A high quality mandoline.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

Last Christmas a friend gave me a bread pan made by DeMarle. It's the
company that makes Sil Pats. The pans are made out of similar material.
I've since bought myself several more of their pans. I love that when I
make Cheddar Cheese Potatoes in them nothing sticks. I don't stand at the
sink prior to soaking the cheese off trying to scrap as much crispy cheesy
goodness off to eat myself. teehee I'm giving my family all DeMarle this
year for Christmas.

Lynne

"jake" > wrote in message
. nl...
>I know I'm kinda new here and I think one needs to be more established
>before posting polls. But after reading several posts here I find myself
>curious about favorite gifts you've received for cooking. I thought there
>might be some nice ideas in it for wish lists and gifts for others. I don't
>do Christmas, so I am not asking for my own wish list
>
> But I know I'll like knowing what has brought joy to people. You can
> usually still hear that joy when people talk about those favorite gifts
> and the moments that they received them
>
> I am most curious about what you have enjoyed receiving, but giving
> counts, too.
>
> So: my favorite cooking gift would be an over dish that looks very rustic
> and comforting. Another favorite were scales. They were, and are, my first
> scales. I love them because I didn't know much about cooking when I got
> them and they have helped me learn. Both gifts were given to me by three
> friends, 2 of whom are still very good friends 10+ years later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

I received a gift subscription to Saveur magazine- very interesting,
cultural stories from around the world with recipes to boot. I prefer
doing my own cookware/gadgets shopping to avoid overstuffed kitchen
cabinets, so the subscription was a great gift.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

jake wrote:

> So: my favorite cooking gift would be an over dish that looks very
> rustic and comforting. Another favorite were scales. They were, and are,
> my first scales. I love them because I didn't know much about cooking
> when I got them and they have helped me learn. Both gifts were given to
> me by three friends, 2 of whom are still very good friends 10+ years later.

In the true spirit of rec.food.cooking: what happened to the third friend?

:-)
gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Carol Garbo

I have yet to receive what I really want for Christmas as a cooking
gift, even though I start singing "All I want for Christmas is my own
sous chef" the first of Deember. No one even takes the damn hint!
Carol

Our life may not always be the party we would have chosen, but while we
are here, we may as well dance!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
CJ Jones

jake wrote:

> But I know I'll like knowing what has brought joy to people. You can
> usually still hear that joy when people talk about those favorite gifts
> and the moments that they received them
>
> I am most curious about what you have enjoyed receiving, but giving
> counts, too.

I was greatly surprised when two days before thanksgiving, my dear,
loving, sweet, beautiful hungry hubby got me the Kitchen Aid
Professional Mixer..cost a bloody car payment!

One of my favorite cooking gifts came from a senior I had cared for when
I was a teenager. She left me her recipe box in her will. I'll love it
forever, although I have yet to translate all of the yiddish and russian
in the recipes. She survived a concentration camp by working as a cook
for soldiers. Her stories made days feel like minutes.

CJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking
JeanineAlyse

CJ Jones wrote:
> One of my favorite cooking gifts came from a senior I had cared for when
> I was a teenager. She left me her recipe box in her will. I'll love it
> forever, although I have yet to translate all of the yiddish and russian
> in the recipes. She survived a concentration camp by working as a cook
> for soldiers. Her stories made days feel like minutes.

What a fine and beautiful story, CJ. I am now the eldest cook in my
family of seven generations native to Southern California, and I am
seeing to it that the all caring cooks within the two generations past
my age each have properly acredited copies of my great-grandmother's
two most often requested dishes. One is for a time consuming to make
chicken pot pie, and the other is her sour cream apple pie.

As to the original intent of this thread, my now favorite kitchen gifts
have been a 6 quart Nesco roaster and two baking sheets (similiar to
the Silpat brand). I use these two gifts quite regularly when cooking
or baking for my Marines and can't imagine being without either.

Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, jake > said:

> I know I'm kinda new here and I think one needs to be more established
> before posting polls.

<snip>

Why?

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

jake wrote:

> I know I'm kinda new here and I think one needs to be more established
> before posting polls.

Definitely not. Post whatever suits you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
CJ Jones

JeanineAlyse wrote:
> CJ Jones wrote:
>> One of my favorite cooking gifts came from a senior I had cared for when
>> I was a teenager. She left me her recipe box in her will. I'll love it
>> forever, although I have yet to translate all of the yiddish and russian
>> in the recipes. She survived a concentration camp by working as a cook
>> for soldiers. Her stories made days feel like minutes.

> What a fine and beautiful story, CJ. I am now the eldest cook in my
> family of seven generations native to Southern California, and I am
> seeing to it that the all caring cooks within the two generations past
> my age each have properly acredited copies of my great-grandmother's
> two most often requested dishes. One is for a time consuming to make
> chicken pot pie, and the other is her sour cream apple pie.
>
> As to the original intent of this thread, my now favorite kitchen gifts
> have been a 6 quart Nesco roaster and two baking sheets (similiar to
> the Silpat brand). I use these two gifts quite regularly when cooking
> or baking for my Marines and can't imagine being without either.
>
> Picky

that's a great legacy.. I think family traditions are so lost in this
society.

CJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

Puester wrote:
> jake wrote:
>

>> So: my favorite cooking gift would be an over dish that looks very
>> rustic and comforting. Another favorite were scales. They were, and
>> are, my first scales. I love them because I didn't know much about
>> cooking when I got them and they have helped me learn. Both gifts were
>> given to me by three friends, 2 of whom are still very good friends
>> 10+ years later.

> In the true spirit of rec.food.cooking: what happened to the third friend?
>
> :-)
> gloria p

She gradually moved out of the picture. We just "matuerd"in directions
that were different. Not an exciting story, sorry
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

S'mee wrote:

> One time on Usenet, jake > said:
>

>>I know I'm kinda new here and I think one needs to be more established
>>before posting polls.

> <snip>
>
> Why?

Call me insecure!
I find that it usually takes a while before people know where they stand
with you. Since my English can be clumsy at times, I suspect that then
people need a bit longer, too. How much enthusiasm polls generate seems
to be partly dependent on how much people like the OP. In the worst
case, they may feel the poll is inappropriate because someone is asking
for answers (i.e., an effort) without offering something in return (or
having offered something in return beforehand by participating).

Does that answer your question?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

Reg wrote:

> jake wrote:
>
>> I know I'm kinda new here and I think one needs to be more established
>> before posting polls.

> Definitely not. Post whatever suits you.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Marge

I got Italian measuring cups that I use all the time and love.

When I was starting out my dad bought me a very nice skillet type pan
that I still have and use (it's in great condition).

I love getting kitchen stuff.

Carol, I have to admit that a sous chef does seem like the way to go in
the future ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jake wrote:

> I am most curious about what you have enjoyed receiving, but giving
> counts, too.

Large cooking trays, stove enamelled and the size of the oven. Why make
a few servings when you can make 24?

NT

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

jake wrote:

> I find that it usually takes a while before people know where they stand
> with you. Since my English can be clumsy at times, I suspect that then
> people need a bit longer, too. How much enthusiasm polls generate seems
> to be partly dependent on how much people like the OP. In the worst
> case, they may feel the poll is inappropriate because someone is asking
> for answers (i.e., an effort) without offering something in return (or
> having offered something in return beforehand by participating).

Advice: It helps your reputation when you post here if you post a
recipe once in a while.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

Puester wrote:

> jake wrote:
>
>> I find that it usually takes a while before people know where they
>> stand with you. Since my English can be clumsy at times, I suspect
>> that then people need a bit longer, too. How much enthusiasm polls
>> generate seems to be partly dependent on how much people like the OP.
>> In the worst case, they may feel the poll is inappropriate because
>> someone is asking for answers (i.e., an effort) without offering
>> something in return (or having offered something in return beforehand
>> by participating).

> Advice: It helps your reputation when you post here if you post a
> recipe once in a while.
>
> gloria p

I've done that. After how many recipes do I become an officila member ?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

jake wrote:
> I know I'm kinda new here and I think one needs to be more established
> before posting polls. But after reading several posts here I find myself
> curious about favorite gifts you've received for cooking. I thought
> there might be some nice ideas in it for wish lists and gifts for
> others. I don't do Christmas, so I am not asking for my own wish list
>
> But I know I'll like knowing what has brought joy to people. You can
> usually still hear that joy when people talk about those favorite gifts
> and the moments that they received them
>
> I am most curious about what you have enjoyed receiving, but giving
> counts, too.

Chantal bakeware. http://www.chantal.com/
Calphalon.
Wustoff trident knives.
High quality cotton kitchen towels - the thick kind that last forever.
Silpat baking liners.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 09 Dec 2005 02:22:02a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?

> Puester wrote:
>
>> jake wrote:
>>
>>> I find that it usually takes a while before people know where they
>>> stand with you. Since my English can be clumsy at times, I suspect
>>> that then people need a bit longer, too. How much enthusiasm polls
>>> generate seems to be partly dependent on how much people like the OP.
>>> In the worst case, they may feel the poll is inappropriate because
>>> someone is asking for answers (i.e., an effort) without offering
>>> something in return (or having offered something in return beforehand
>>> by participating).

>> Advice: It helps your reputation when you post here if you post a
>> recipe once in a while.
>>
>> gloria p
>>

> I've done that. After how many recipes do I become an officila member ?

11,713

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 09 Dec 2005 02:22:02a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?
>

>>Puester wrote:

>>>Advice: It helps your reputation when you post here if you post a
>>>recipe once in a while.
>>>
>>>gloria p
>>>

>>I've done that. After how many recipes do I become an officila member ?
>>

> 11,713

Well,ok then. Fair enough,

I wish I didn't hate typing so much. But I'll post a sauerkraut recipe
soon, after I've made it (probably in 3 days)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

-L. wrote:

> jake wrote:
>
>>I know I'm kinda new here and I think one needs to be more established
>>before posting polls. But after reading several posts here I find myself
>>curious about favorite gifts you've received for cooking. I thought
>>there might be some nice ideas in it for wish lists and gifts for
>>others. I don't do Christmas, so I am not asking for my own wish list
>>
>>But I know I'll like knowing what has brought joy to people. You can
>>usually still hear that joy when people talk about those favorite gifts
>>and the moments that they received them
>>
>>I am most curious about what you have enjoyed receiving, but giving
>>counts, too.

> Chantal bakeware. http://www.chantal.com/
> Calphalon.
> Wustoff trident knives.
> High quality cotton kitchen towels - the thick kind that last forever.
> Silpat baking liners.
>
> -L.

Wow. People here seem to have access to all kinds of brands I've never
even heard of.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 09 Dec 2005 06:39:06a, jake wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>>I've done that. After how many recipes do I become an officila member ?
>>>

>> 11,713
>>

> Well,ok then. Fair enough,
>
> I wish I didn't hate typing so much. But I'll post a sauerkraut recipe
> soon, after I've made it (probably in 3 days)

I'll be looking forward to that. I love sauerkraut.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Marge wrote:

> I got Italian measuring cups that I use all the time and love.
>
> When I was starting out my dad bought me a very nice skillet type pan
> that I still have and use (it's in great condition).
>
> I love getting kitchen stuff.
>
> Carol, I have to admit that a sous chef does seem like the way to go in
> the future ...

sorry to piggyback this post but I saw something called a "vegetable
hammock" at bed bath and beyond to hold veggies.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=10525586

But it's tiny. I see another hammock that I could place above my sink to
hold more veggies.

http://store.everestgear.com/159015.html

Just so my veggies dont sit on the counter and bruise or get rot spots.

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Fri 09 Dec 2005 02:22:02a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?
>

> > I've done that. After how many recipes do I become an officila member ?
> >

> 11,713

The bylaws have been changed, it's now 11, 786.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 09 Dec 2005 06:04:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ranee
Mueller?

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Fri 09 Dec 2005 02:22:02a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?
>>

>> > I've done that. After how many recipes do I become an officila member ?
>> >

>> 11,713

> The bylaws have been changed, it's now 11, 786.

Thanks for the update, Ranee.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kalanamak

I give fine ingredients: some really nice oil and vinegar, some spices
or my favourite condiment...not just pretty label stuff at the high end
grocery, but stuff I really love, like smoked paprika. At my age...I
have learned that I don't want to be burdened with things that hang
about a long time....I've collected enough of my own, thankyou.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

>>On Fri 09 Dec 2005 02:22:02a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?
>>

>>>I've done that. After how many recipes do I become an officila member ?
>>>

>>11,713

> The bylaws have been changed, it's now 11, 786.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

It isn't fair!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 10 Dec 2005 01:40:20a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?

> Ranee Mueller wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>

>>>On Fri 09 Dec 2005 02:22:02a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jake?

>>>11,713

>> The bylaws have been changed, it's now 11, 786.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ranee

> It isn't fair!

You have to keep up with the numbers. Contribution is everything.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

jake wrote:

> > Chantal bakeware. http://www.chantal.com/
> > Calphalon.
> > Wustoff trident knives.
> > High quality cotton kitchen towels - the thick kind that last forever.
> > Silpat baking liners.
> >
> > -L.
> >

> Wow. People here seem to have access to all kinds of brands I've never
> even heard of.

Amazon.com now has a deal on a couple of really good hard anodized
Calphalon Commerical pans. One is the 12-inch "Everday" pan with lid
which is selling for $29.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...arden&v=glance
and the other is the 8.5 qt. saucier with lid which is also $29.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...tchen&v=glance

Both of these are a steal at that price, and both have a lifetime
guarantee. I am tempted to buy a couple as gifts. I have both of
these pans which I originally purchased in 1984, and ordered a new set
of each, as the Commerical line is no longer being made by Calphalon,
and if they need replacing, they get replaced by their inferior (IMO)
Calphalon One line.

As for Chantal ware - you really cannot beat it, if you like ceramic
ware.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

-L. wrote:
> jake wrote:
>
>>>Chantal bakeware. http://www.chantal.com/
>>>Calphalon.
>>>Wustoff trident knives.
>>>High quality cotton kitchen towels - the thick kind that last forever.
>>>Silpat baking liners.
>>>
>>>-L.
>>>

>>Wow. People here seem to have access to all kinds of brands I've never
>>even heard of.

> Amazon.com now has a deal on a couple of really good hard anodized
> Calphalon Commerical pans. One is the 12-inch "Everday" pan with lid
> which is selling for $29.99
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...arden&v=glance
> and the other is the 8.5 qt. saucier with lid which is also $29.99
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...tchen&v=glance
>
> Both of these are a steal at that price, and both have a lifetime
> guarantee. I am tempted to buy a couple as gifts. I have both of
> these pans which I originally purchased in 1984, and ordered a new set
> of each, as the Commerical line is no longer being made by Calphalon,
> and if they need replacing, they get replaced by their inferior (IMO)
> Calphalon One line.
>
> As for Chantal ware - you really cannot beat it, if you like ceramic
> ware.
>
> -L.

Those pans look *beautiful*. I have recently bought 2 new pans,
replacing the ones my parents had given to me when I moved out other
were very thin.f my parents' house were very thin.. BTW, they were a
wedding gift. No one deserves bad weddings gifts like that though -
everything burns in them. My parents got divorced a year after i moved
out. I don't think it had anything to do with them missing the pans.

Now, 15 years later, I finally felt I am rich enough to buy proper
pans. I think what I have now will last me a life time. They have thick
bottoms and are made of steel (I think - I got them on sale because
the packaging was missing. I don't know if there's various layers of
metal inside).

They do work a lot better than the old ones!

So don't tempt me - those Calphalons do look like a very good buy and
bargain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

jake wrote:

> Those pans look *beautiful*. I have recently bought 2 new pans,
> replacing the ones my parents had given to me when I moved out other
> were very thin.f my parents' house were very thin.. BTW, they were a
> wedding gift. No one deserves bad weddings gifts like that though -
> everything burns in them. My parents got divorced a year after i moved
> out. I don't think it had anything to do with them missing the pans.
>
> Now, 15 years later, I finally felt I am rich enough to buy proper
> pans. I think what I have now will last me a life time. They have thick
> bottoms and are made of steel (I think - I got them on sale because
> the packaging was missing. I don't know if there's various layers of
> metal inside).
>
> They do work a lot better than the old ones!
>
> So don't tempt me - those Calphalons do look like a very good buy and
> bargain.

Well, I bought my first set when I couldn't afford them back in 1984 -
they are pretty expensive, and were even back then. They have a
lifetime warranty. I have since sent in 2 pans to be replaced, about a
year ago. That's how great they are! They replace them for free. I
love the stuff, and in terms of gifts, you really can't go wrong. The
only downside is that they cannot be washed in a dishwasher, but most
pans can't so no big deal, really.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

-L. wrote:

> jake wrote:
>
>>Those pans look *beautiful*. I have recently bought 2 new pans,
>>replacing the ones my parents had given to me when I moved out other
>>were very thin.f my parents' house were very thin.. BTW, they were a
>>wedding gift. No one deserves bad weddings gifts like that though -
>>everything burns in them. My parents got divorced a year after i moved
>>out. I don't think it had anything to do with them missing the pans.
>>
>>Now, 15 years later, I finally felt I am rich enough to buy proper
>>pans. I think what I have now will last me a life time. They have thick
>>bottoms and are made of steel (I think - I got them on sale because
>>the packaging was missing. I don't know if there's various layers of
>>metal inside).
>>
>>They do work a lot better than the old ones!
>>
>>So don't tempt me - those Calphalons do look like a very good buy and
>>bargain.

> Well, I bought my first set when I couldn't afford them back in 1984 -
> they are pretty expensive, and were even back then. They have a
> lifetime warranty. I have since sent in 2 pans to be replaced, about a
> year ago. That's how great they are! They replace them for free. I
> love the stuff, and in terms of gifts, you really can't go wrong. The
> only downside is that they cannot be washed in a dishwasher, but most
> pans can't so no big deal, really.
> -L.

See, now you are tempting me again! But I really don't need them! I
don't need any gifts ATM, not for Xmas or anything, but who knows what
I'll need in the future. Maybe for weddings or something.

Shipping would be a lot of money, though. I live in The Netherlands.
I'll keep my eyes open for this brand when I am in suitable stores.