Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default reheating pizza

I've seen this mentioned here a couple of times... use a skillet, so I
tried it tonight. The bottom crisped up very nicely, the cheese got
nice and melty, but the top of the crust wasn't as crisp as it would
have gotten in the oven. I had a cover on the pan - should I not have
bothered?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 10:39*pm, sf > wrote:
> I've seen this mentioned here a couple of times... use a skillet, so I
> tried it tonight. *The bottom crisped up very nicely, the cheese got
> nice and melty, but the top of the crust wasn't as crisp as it would
> have gotten in the oven. *I had a cover on the pan - should I not have
> bothered?

What I find works best is using a regular oven, but completely
encasing it in aluminum foil, so it doesn't dry out. This means it
isn't cooked too much, but isn't leathery/soggy like when I use the
microwave. It takes longer than other methods, though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 20:04:04 -0800 (PST), Jared >
wrote:

>On Dec 6, 10:39*pm, sf > wrote:
>> I've seen this mentioned here a couple of times... use a skillet, so I
>> tried it tonight. *The bottom crisped up very nicely, the cheese got
>> nice and melty, but the top of the crust wasn't as crisp as it would
>> have gotten in the oven. *I had a cover on the pan - should I not have
>> bothered?

>What I find works best is using a regular oven, but completely
>encasing it in aluminum foil, so it doesn't dry out. This means it
>isn't cooked too much, but isn't leathery/soggy like when I use the
>microwave. It takes longer than other methods, though.

Thanks! I have oven reheating down to a science, but I wanted to know
about people's experience with skillet reheating.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 20:04:04 -0800 (PST), Jared >
> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 6, 10:39 pm, sf > wrote:
>>> I've seen this mentioned here a couple of times... use a skillet, so I
>>> tried it tonight. The bottom crisped up very nicely, the cheese got
>>> nice and melty, but the top of the crust wasn't as crisp as it would
>>> have gotten in the oven. I had a cover on the pan - should I not have
>>> bothered?

>> What I find works best is using a regular oven, but completely
>> encasing it in aluminum foil, so it doesn't dry out. This means it
>> isn't cooked too much, but isn't leathery/soggy like when I use the
>> microwave. It takes longer than other methods, though.

> Thanks! I have oven reheating down to a science, but I wanted to know
> about people's experience with skillet reheating.

I use a skillet, and think it works better than any other method
i've tried. I'm not sure what trouble you're having. (yes, it
takes a lid)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 9:39*pm, sf > wrote:
> I've seen this mentioned here a couple of times... use a skillet, so I
> tried it tonight. *The bottom crisped up very nicely, the cheese got
> nice and melty, but the top of the crust wasn't as crisp as it would
> have gotten in the oven. *I had a cover on the pan - should I not have
> bothered?
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I just nuke it!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I've seen this mentioned here a couple of times... use a skillet, so I
> tried it tonight. The bottom crisped up very nicely, the cheese got
> nice and melty, but the top of the crust wasn't as crisp as it would
> have gotten in the oven. I had a cover on the pan - should I not have
> bothered?
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Toaster Oven, Toaster Oven, or Toaster Oven!!!!!!!,

I'd tried everything possible without a good answer. My younger brother
advised using a toaster oven. I never listen to him. After years of
frustration I did, and I couldn't live without it. Buy a very cheap toaster
oven if you're only going to use it for pizza, as I did. Basaically you have
to heat from the top and the bottom to make it work. Heat it at 450F in the
center rack on the two sided[toaster] setting. If it's frozen or
refrigerated, let the pizza warm to room temp, or close to it before
starting.

Life will never be the same.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 23:53:58 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I've seen this mentioned here a couple of times... use a skillet, so I
>> tried it tonight. The bottom crisped up very nicely, the cheese got
>> nice and melty, but the top of the crust wasn't as crisp as it would
>> have gotten in the oven. I had a cover on the pan - should I not have
>> bothered?
>>
>> --
>> I love cooking with wine.
>> Sometimes I even put it in the food.
>>

>Toaster Oven, Toaster Oven, or Toaster Oven!!!!!!!,
>
>I'd tried everything possible without a good answer. My younger brother
>advised using a toaster oven. I never listen to him. After years of
>frustration I did, and I couldn't live without it. Buy a very cheap toaster
>oven if you're only going to use it for pizza, as I did. Basaically you have
>to heat from the top and the bottom to make it work. Heat it at 450F in the
>center rack on the two sided[toaster] setting. If it's frozen or
>refrigerated, let the pizza warm to room temp, or close to it before
>starting.
>
>Life will never be the same.

I know it's perfect in an oven, but I want the skillet people to come
out and tell me their secrets.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

>> Thanks! I have oven reheating down to a science, but I wanted to
>> know about people's experience with skillet reheating.

> I use a skillet, and think it works better than any other method
> i've tried. I'm not sure what trouble you're having. (yes, it
> takes a lid)

I agree, it's the best method and it's better with the lid. But there's a
big issue: how thich was the pizza that sf re-heated? The ones I bring home
from pizzerias are all in the 2-3 millimeters range, and that helps a lot.
If I'd had to reheat a thicker pizza I'd use another method, like when I
reheat pizza from a bakery, and those are usually way thicker than pizzeria
ones, they are in the 2-3 centimeters range and they require an oven to
reheat thoroughly.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>>> Thanks! I have oven reheating down to a science, but I wanted to
>>> know about people's experience with skillet reheating.

>> I use a skillet, and think it works better than any other method
>> i've tried. I'm not sure what trouble you're having. (yes, it
>> takes a lid)

> I agree, it's the best method and it's better with the lid. But there's a
> big issue: how thich was the pizza that sf re-heated? The ones I bring home
> from pizzerias are all in the 2-3 millimeters range, and that helps a lot.
> If I'd had to reheat a thicker pizza I'd use another method, like when I
> reheat pizza from a bakery, and those are usually way thicker than pizzeria
> ones, they are in the 2-3 centimeters range and they require an oven to
> reheat thoroughly.

I sometimes put thick slices in the microwave just long enough to
take the chill off, then finish heating/crisping (slowly) in a dry
skillet with a lid.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I sometimes put thick slices in the microwave just long enough to take
> the chill off, then finish heating/crisping (slowly) in a dry skillet
> with a lid.

I reheat in the oven or toaster oven, 350F, 8 minutes. It's perfect for
me. (It's the method the take-out boxes recommended when I worked at
Pizza Hut, lo, these many decades ago.)

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Issue 2 is here!
http://42magazine.com

"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their
choosing." -- Pat Kight, on alt.polyamory

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:57:32 +0100, "ViLco" >
wrote:

>zxcvbob wrote:
>
>>> Thanks! I have oven reheating down to a science, but I wanted to
>>> know about people's experience with skillet reheating.

>> I use a skillet, and think it works better than any other method
>> i've tried. I'm not sure what trouble you're having. (yes, it
>> takes a lid)

>I agree, it's the best method and it's better with the lid. But there's a
>big issue: how thich was the pizza that sf re-heated? The ones I bring home
>from pizzerias are all in the 2-3 millimeters range, and that helps a lot.
>If I'd had to reheat a thicker pizza I'd use another method, like when I
>reheat pizza from a bakery, and those are usually way thicker than pizzeria
>ones, they are in the 2-3 centimeters range and they require an oven to
>reheat thoroughly.

It's a skinny one, vilco... as skinny or skinnier than yours. Roman
style skinny. I didn't have a problem with the crust bottom. I just
thought the top of the edge was not crisp enough. I took it out when
the cheese got melty. As you know American pizzas have way too much
cheese on them unless you're standing over the pizza maker while he
assembles it, so that's part of the issue. I didn't even think about
a potential cheese problem when I ordered pesto and artichoke for
delivery.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 23:53:58 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I've seen this mentioned here a couple of times... use a skillet, so I
>>> tried it tonight. The bottom crisped up very nicely, the cheese got
>>> nice and melty, but the top of the crust wasn't as crisp as it would
>>> have gotten in the oven. I had a cover on the pan - should I not have
>>> bothered?
>>>
>>> --
>>> I love cooking with wine.
>>> Sometimes I even put it in the food.
>>>

>>Toaster Oven, Toaster Oven, or Toaster Oven!!!!!!!,
>>
>>I'd tried everything possible without a good answer. My younger brother
>>advised using a toaster oven. I never listen to him. After years of
>>frustration I did, and I couldn't live without it. Buy a very cheap
>>toaster
>>oven if you're only going to use it for pizza, as I did. Basaically you
>>have
>>to heat from the top and the bottom to make it work. Heat it at 450F in
>>the
>>center rack on the two sided[toaster] setting. If it's frozen or
>>refrigerated, let the pizza warm to room temp, or close to it before
>>starting.
>>
>>Life will never be the same.
>>

> I know it's perfect in an oven, but I want the skillet people to come
> out and tell me their secrets.
>
> --

It won't work in an oven. You have to have heat from the top and the bottom,
as in a toaster oven. It broils and bakes at the same time. Your cheese will
melt on top, and the bottom will retain its crisp character. I think the one
I use cost less than $50 at Walmart.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> I agree, it's the best method and it's better with the lid. But
>> there's a big issue: how thich was the pizza that sf re-heated? The
>> ones I bring home from pizzerias are all in the 2-3 millimeters
>> range, and that helps a lot. If I'd had to reheat a thicker pizza
>> I'd use another method, like when I reheat pizza from a bakery, and
>> those are usually way thicker than pizzeria ones, they are in the
>> 2-3 centimeters range and they require an oven to reheat thoroughly.

> It's a skinny one, vilco... as skinny or skinnier than yours. Roman
> style skinny. I didn't have a problem with the crust bottom. I just
> thought the top of the edge was not crisp enough. I took it out when
> the cheese got melty. As you know American pizzas have way too much
> cheese on them unless you're standing over the pizza maker while he
> assembles it, so that's part of the issue.

Very likely. Then you need to give it some heat from above, too. IMHO a
toaster, as many have pointed out, is the best option in that case.

> I didn't even think about
> a potential cheese problem when I ordered pesto and artichoke for
> delivery.

LOL, pesto over pizza is a nice idea. Did they put just some drops here and
there or was the dose more pervasive?
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rosè

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default http://www.guoshitrade.com/

http://www.guoshitrade.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:52:39 +0100, "ViLco" >
wrote:

>LOL, pesto over pizza is a nice idea. Did they put just some drops here and
>there or was the dose more pervasive?

I nixed tomato sauce and said "pesto only", so it was the perfect
coating for me... just too much cheese. I would have liked a light
sprinkle, of say parmesan, but they dumped on shredded mozzarella.
I'll remember that next time. Obviously, I don't order pizza much and
when I make it - I make it the way *I* like it.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:52:39 +0100, "ViLco" >
> wrote:
>
>> LOL, pesto over pizza is a nice idea. Did they put just some drops here and
>> there or was the dose more pervasive?

> I nixed tomato sauce and said "pesto only", so it was the perfect
> coating for me... just too much cheese. I would have liked a light
> sprinkle, of say parmesan, but they dumped on shredded mozzarella.
> I'll remember that next time. Obviously, I don't order pizza much and
> when I make it - I make it the way *I* like it.

We just on the Oasis of the Seas (brand new cruise ship) and they have a
"build it yourself" pizza place. The cooks are behind a glass display
case full of all kinds of toppings. You tell them which ones you
want... and how much and they make the pie right in front of you and
then into the oven... they call you when it is done.

In addition they have an array of already made pies for you to choose
from. We had a slice of a couple of different types and they were
pretty good, but we didn't try the build it yourself counter.

OT - if any of you are interested in our visit to this new ship, I
posted a review at
http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_w...s-and-reviews/

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 9:39*pm, sf > wrote:
> I've seen this mentioned here a couple of times... use a skillet, so I
> tried it tonight. *The bottom crisped up very nicely, the cheese got
> nice and melty, but the top of the crust wasn't as crisp as it would
> have gotten in the oven. *I had a cover on the pan - should I not have
> bothered?
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I smear the bottom of the pan I'm using with a generous amount of
olive oil, and brush olive oil around on the top edge of the crust,
and reheat at about 375-400 until the top is bubbling and the crust is
crispy and browned a little. I love crispy, thin crust pizza. Don't
cover it.

Most of the time, I line the pan with tin foil so I don't have to wash
all that oil off....

N.

reheating pizza the American Test Kitchen way. MilwaukeeConnaisseur General Cooking 9 13-05-2008 06:20 PM
Reheating frozen pizza? Kent General Cooking 25 08-04-2008 04:25 AM
Reheating frozen pizza? Fred/Libby Barclay General Cooking 0 06-04-2008 09:04 PM
Reheating ham Mitch General Cooking 93 07-07-2007 06:23 PM
reheating tri-tip [email protected] Barbecue 2 09-06-2005 11:49 PM