Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default reheating pizza the American Test Kitchen way.

This week on "American Test Kitchen" they were doing pizza's and one
of the tips was on reheating pizza. just as they started to show it
the phone rang so I missed the details except for the skillet part.

Tried it yesterday, and it seemed to work good except for the badly
burnt bottom.

Did someone catch that episode and can you tell me the details?
Thanks MC
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On May 5, 5:44*am, MilwaukeeConnaisseur > wrote:
> This week on "American Test Kitchen" they were doing pizza's and one
> of the tips was on reheating pizza. just as they started to show it
> the phone rang so I missed the details except for the skillet part.
>
> Tried it yesterday, and it seemed to work good except for the badly
> burnt bottom.
>
> Did someone catch that episode and can you tell me the details?
> Thanks MC

I didn't see the show but my normal practice is to put a piece of
pizza in a dry pan over medium heat. Works fine, produces better
crust than the microwave, faster than the toaster oven. If the piece
is particularly cheesy I cover the pan to help melt the cheese. The
bottom won't burn unless the pan is too hot. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 May 2008 07:44:03 -0500, MilwaukeeConnaisseur
> wrote:

>Tried it yesterday, and it seemed to work good except for the badly
>burnt bottom.

turn down the heat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MilwaukeeConnaisseur" > wrote in message
> This week on "American Test Kitchen" they were doing pizza's and one
> of the tips was on reheating pizza. just as they started to show it
> the phone rang so I missed the details except for the skillet part.
>
> Tried it yesterday, and it seemed to work good except for the badly
> burnt bottom.
>
> Did someone catch that episode and can you tell me the details?
> Thanks MC

Was this for frozen pizza? I'd sure like to learn how to make that work!
It's never quite right.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 May 2008 18:24:37 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>"MilwaukeeConnaisseur" > wrote in message
.. .
>> This week on "American Test Kitchen" they were doing pizza's and one
>> of the tips was on reheating pizza. just as they started to show it
>> the phone rang so I missed the details except for the skillet part.
>>
>> Tried it yesterday, and it seemed to work good except for the badly
>> burnt bottom.
>>
>> Did someone catch that episode and can you tell me the details?
>> Thanks MC

>Was this for frozen pizza? I'd sure like to learn how to make that work!
>It's never quite right.
>
>Kent

No. It's for leftover pizzaria pizza.
Got it to work today by turning down the heat. ( The nasty part is
that you can't tell when the cheese is actually melting because it
doesn't look like it. )

I suppose if you want, you can cook a froze rn pizza the normal way
and then put it on a skillet to make a crispier crust.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 May 2008 21:33:19 -0500, MilwaukeeConnaisseur
> wrote:

>On Mon, 5 May 2008 18:24:37 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:
>

>>"MilwaukeeConnaisseur" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> This week on "American Test Kitchen" they were doing pizza's and one
>>> of the tips was on reheating pizza. just as they started to show it
>>> the phone rang so I missed the details except for the skillet part.
>>>
>>> Tried it yesterday, and it seemed to work good except for the badly
>>> burnt bottom.
>>>
>>> Did someone catch that episode and can you tell me the details?
>>> Thanks MC

>>Was this for frozen pizza? I'd sure like to learn how to make that work!
>>It's never quite right.
>>
>>Kent
>>

>No. It's for leftover pizzaria pizza.
>Got it to work today by turning down the heat. ( The nasty part is
>that you can't tell when the cheese is actually melting because it
>doesn't look like it. )
>
>I suppose if you want, you can cook a froze rn pizza the normal way
>and then put it on a skillet to make a crispier crust.

Sorry, nothing will make a frozen pizza taste good. Yuck. You might
make one taste better, but it will never taste good.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" <.> wrote in message ...
> On Mon, 05 May 2008 21:33:19 -0500, MilwaukeeConnaisseur
> > wrote:

>>>Was this for frozen pizza? I'd sure like to learn how to make that work!
>>>It's never quite right.
>>>
>>>Kent
>>>

>>No. It's for leftover pizzaria pizza.
>>Got it to work today by turning down the heat. ( The nasty part is
>>that you can't tell when the cheese is actually melting because it
>>doesn't look like it. )
>>
>>I suppose if you want, you can cook a froze rn pizza the normal way
>>and then put it on a skillet to make a crispier crust.

> Sorry, nothing will make a frozen pizza taste good. Yuck. You might
> make one taste better, but it will never taste good.

I make a lot of pizza in the home and the leftover does end up getting
frozen. I've never been able to make it come back to life quite the right
way.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2008 00:17:43 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>I make a lot of pizza in the home and the leftover does end up getting
>frozen. I've never been able to make it come back to life quite the right
>way.

That's why it's called left over.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Sorry, nothing will make a frozen pizza taste good. �Yuck. �You might
> make one taste better, but it will never taste good.

"Better" and "good" are relative and subjective.

Why are there are an awful lot (Billions) of frozen pizzas sold, many
must think they are good, and perhaps better than from the pizzaria
considering the price, and many must think they're better than home
made from scratch, I've tasted some folks homemade (blech), and frozen
are certainly a lot less work. And a good many pizzerias use frozen
ingredients anyway, even frozen dough.

It's actually pretty easy to rejuvenate left over pizza, whether
refrigerated or frozen, IF it was properly wrapped and one is willing
to light their conventional oven, NOT the microwave or the toaster
oven. But most left over pizza finds it's way into the fridge right
in the cardboard box, and it's too much effort for people to light
their regular oven so some nuke it but most eat it cold... no one is
going to expend the effort for a couple slices left over pizza. But
no mattter what you do pizza won't get better in time... pizza is just
like any other baked goods, with time it gets stale, baked goods are
not like stew, they don't get better reheated the next day
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

> "sf" <.> wrote in message ...
>
>>On Mon, 05 May 2008 21:33:19 -0500, MilwaukeeConnaisseur
> wrote:

m...

>>>No. It's for leftover pizzaria pizza.
>>>Got it to work today by turning down the heat. ( The nasty part is
>>>that you can't tell when the cheese is actually melting because it
>>>doesn't look like it. )
>>>
>>>I suppose if you want, you can cook a froze rn pizza the normal way
>>>and then put it on a skillet to make a crispier crust.

>>Sorry, nothing will make a frozen pizza taste good. Yuck. You might
>>make one taste better, but it will never taste good.
>>

> I make a lot of pizza in the home and the leftover does end up getting
> frozen. I've never been able to make it come back to life quite the right
> way.

I just reheat it a few slices at a time in the oven
at about 400F for about 12-15 minutes. I actually like
reheated pizza better than fresh because the crust gets
crispier. I will buy a large or extra-large just for me
and then eat it all week, reheating a couple of slices
every night. Yum.

Kate

--
Kate Connally