Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quebec-style "BBQ" sauce (St Hugert or Chalet versions)

On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 11:54:32 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:

> We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim Horton's.

My brother-in-law loves Tim Horton's. He thought it was a very bad thing that there were none on this rock. I thought he oversold the joint but I'm guessing that I'd like to have a cup of their coffee when I'm in California.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 12:36:17 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I also prefer a cakey baked donut... Entenmanns has great devilsfood
> donuts. My father spent 27 years driving a Dugan's Bakery truck until
> they went out of business, we always had baked goods and especially
> cakey donuts.

My grocery store stocks the Entenmanns donuts but have quit stocking the plain
cake donut which is just as well. They'd find their way into my shopping cart
every week if they did. Now they're stocking chocolate covered, powdered sugar,
and cinnamon sugar cake donuts, 4 each in a box.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 12:16:35 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> The closest one to use was in the north end of Mississauga. It was
> there about 20 years ago. Their store locator says there are three in
> Toronto. For a short time they were selling packages of their donuts in
> a couple local stores, but that was a brief experiment. Personally, I
> don't like Krispy Kreme donuts. They are way too sweet.

Website store locators are great. The 2 nearest ones are in Maui and in Daly City CA. The Krispy Kreme in Daly City is 2385.6 miles away. Both would require that I take a plane trip. If I was in Maui, I'd drop on by. If I was in Daly City, I'd have to be out of my mind to want to make a trip to a stinkin' doughnut shop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 08:04:36 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>A Moose in Love wrote:
>>
>> We had a similar thing happen when Krispy Kreme started operations in Kitchener. I thought they had a very good product. But they didn't make it. Once again, brand loyalty may have been the issue: Tim Horton's.

>One more comment about the KK donuts. If you like a glazed donut,
>find a place that makes them right on location. Go after midnight
>and get some right off the assembly line. Still warm from cooking
>and that glaze they put on them is like clear melted butter. Not
>white like when they cool down. The warm, fresh donuts are so
>soft, almost like cotton candy.

What kind of nut goes looking for warm donuts after midnight?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 08:04:00 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> The Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme. Unfortunately, there's only one in the state and it's on the island of Maui.

>Funny. Think about what you just said. If Hawaiians like Krispy
>Kreme, like in MANY hawaiians, there would be several on each
>island. Especially on popular tourist Oahu.

Wait, when dsi1 says that Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme, that means that
ALL Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme. dsi1 doesn't do MANY, he only does
ALL.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 09:25:41 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 10:48:50 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> A French creuller is much better than KK.
>> https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_yl...g&action=close
>>

>I like crullers and KK makes those

Are you sure you like them? (just checking)

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Glazed Cruller
"Doughnut (wheat flour enriched (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron,
thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid and enzyme), water,
vegetable shortening (palm oil, fully and/or partially hydrogenated
soybean oil, and/or partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, cottonseed
oil, and/or soybean oil, mono and diglycerides and polyglycerol esters
and/or BHT and/or tocopherol and/or citric acid), sugar, soybean oil,
egg yolks, soy flour, natural and artificial flavor, whey, sodium acid
pyrophosphate, dextrose, sodium bicarbonate, salt, dried milk powder,
lecithin, sodium propionate (to maintain freshness), cellulose gum,
monoglycerides, propylene glcol monoesters), glaze (sugar, water, corn
starch, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, calcium sulfate and/or
calcium carbonate, agar, dextrose, natural and artificial flavors,
salt, disodium phosphate, locust bean gum and/or mono and
diglycerides)"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 13:36:13 -0400, wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 09:25:41 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 10:48:50 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> A French creuller is much better than KK.

https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_yl...g&action=close

>>I like crullers and KK makes those as well as about 2 dozen other varieties and
>>flavors of donuts. A cruller is denser though and really not the same. But
>>my all-time favorite donut is just a plain cake donut. No powdered sugar,
>>no cinnamon sugar, just plain please. I guess it's that nutmeg that draws me
>>in and the cakey texture.

>I also prefer a cakey baked donut... Entenmanns has great devilsfood
>donuts.

Are they really great? (just checking)

Entenmann's Donuts, Devil's Food Crumb
"Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Shortening (Soybean,
Cottonseed), Unbleached Enriched Wheat Flour [Flour, Malted Barley
Flour, Reduced Iron, Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin
(B2), Folic Acid], Water, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Dextrose, Egg
Yolks, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Egg Whites, Modified Food Starch
(Corn, Tapioca), Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Sodium Aluminum Phosphate), Salt, Glycerine, Wheat Starch, Corn Syrup,
Soy Flour, Nonfat Milk, Karaya Gum, Guar Gum, Tapioca Dextrin,
Cornstarch, Cellulose Gum, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Xanthan
Gum, Mono- and Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin, Molasses, Calcium
Carbonate, Calcium Sulfate, Artificial Color, Agar, Filberts, Carob
Bean Gum, Sodium Phosphate, Caramel Color. Contains Nuts"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 2:26:24 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 09:25:41 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I like crullers and KK makes those

> Are you sure you like them? (just checking)
>
> Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Glazed Cruller
> "Doughnut (wheat flour enriched (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron,
> thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid and enzyme), water,
> vegetable shortening (palm oil, fully and/or partially hydrogenated
> soybean oil, and/or partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, cottonseed
> oil, and/or soybean oil, mono and diglycerides and polyglycerol esters
> and/or BHT and/or tocopherol and/or citric acid), sugar, soybean oil,
> egg yolks, soy flour, natural and artificial flavor, whey, sodium acid
> pyrophosphate, dextrose, sodium bicarbonate, salt, dried milk powder,
> lecithin, sodium propionate (to maintain freshness), cellulose gum,
> monoglycerides, propylene glcol monoesters), glaze (sugar, water, corn
> starch, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, calcium sulfate and/or
> calcium carbonate, agar, dextrose, natural and artificial flavors,
> salt, disodium phosphate, locust bean gum and/or mono and
> diglycerides)"

You're making my mouth water!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 2:23:03 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 08:04:36 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >One more comment about the KK donuts. If you like a glazed donut,
> >find a place that makes them right on location. Go after midnight
> >and get some right off the assembly line. Still warm from cooking
> >and that glaze they put on them is like clear melted butter. Not
> >white like when they cool down. The warm, fresh donuts are so
> >soft, almost like cotton candy.

> What kind of nut goes looking for warm donuts after midnight?

Pretty tasty after honky tonking or a very late movie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 12:48:59 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 2:26:24 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 09:25:41 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I like crullers and KK makes those

>> Are you sure you like them? (just checking)
>>
>> Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Glazed Cruller
>> "Doughnut (wheat flour enriched (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron,
>> thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid and enzyme), water,
>> vegetable shortening (palm oil, fully and/or partially hydrogenated
>> soybean oil, and/or partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, cottonseed
>> oil, and/or soybean oil, mono and diglycerides and polyglycerol esters
>> and/or BHT and/or tocopherol and/or citric acid), sugar, soybean oil,
>> egg yolks, soy flour, natural and artificial flavor, whey, sodium acid
>> pyrophosphate, dextrose, sodium bicarbonate, salt, dried milk powder,
>> lecithin, sodium propionate (to maintain freshness), cellulose gum,
>> monoglycerides, propylene glcol monoesters), glaze (sugar, water, corn
>> starch, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, calcium sulfate and/or
>> calcium carbonate, agar, dextrose, natural and artificial flavors,
>> salt, disodium phosphate, locust bean gum and/or mono and
>> diglycerides)"
>>

>You're making my mouth water!

Mine too. That balance between the calcium sulfate and the disodium
phosphate is very delicate!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 12:50:25 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 2:23:03 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 08:04:36 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>
>> >One more comment about the KK donuts. If you like a glazed donut,
>> >find a place that makes them right on location. Go after midnight
>> >and get some right off the assembly line. Still warm from cooking
>> >and that glaze they put on them is like clear melted butter. Not
>> >white like when they cool down. The warm, fresh donuts are so
>> >soft, almost like cotton candy.

>> What kind of nut goes looking for warm donuts after midnight?
>>

>Pretty tasty after honky tonking or a very late movie.

I thought people smoked a cigarette after honky tonking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 9:23:41 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 08:04:00 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >dsi1 wrote:
> >>
> >> The Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme. Unfortunately, there's only one in the state and it's on the island of Maui.

> >Funny. Think about what you just said. If Hawaiians like Krispy
> >Kreme, like in MANY hawaiians, there would be several on each
> >island. Especially on popular tourist Oahu.

> Wait, when dsi1 says that Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme, that means that
> ALL Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme. dsi1 doesn't do MANY, he only does
> ALL.

You're obviously one of those ASD guys that has an inflexibility with words so I guess I can cut you some slack. When I say "Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme", I don't mean "all Hawaiians." What I mean is all Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme EXCEPT me. Hopefully, this will clarify my post. You certainly cannot say that I didn't try. Good luck!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 13:20:20 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 9:23:41 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

>> >Funny. Think about what you just said. If Hawaiians like Krispy
>> >Kreme, like in MANY hawaiians, there would be several on each
>> >island. Especially on popular tourist Oahu.

>> Wait, when dsi1 says that Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme, that means that
>> ALL Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme. dsi1 doesn't do MANY, he only does
>> ALL.

>You're obviously one of those ASD guys that has an inflexibility with words so I guess I can cut you some slack. When I say "Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme", I don't mean "all Hawaiians." What I mean is all Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme EXCEPT me. Hopefully, this will clarify my post. You certainly cannot say that I didn't try. Good luck!

All Hawaiians minus you. You definitely tried
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/30/2019 3:28 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 13:36:13 -0400, wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 09:25:41 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_yl...g&action=close

>>> I like crullers and KK makes those as well as about 2 dozen other varieties and
>>> flavors of donuts. A cruller is denser though and really not the same. But
>>> my all-time favorite donut is just a plain cake donut. No powdered sugar,
>>> no cinnamon sugar, just plain please. I guess it's that nutmeg that draws me
>>> in and the cakey texture.

>> I also prefer a cakey baked donut... Entenmanns has great devilsfood
>> donuts.

> Are they really great? (just checking)
>
> Entenmann's Donuts, Devil's Food Crumb
> "Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Shortening (Soybean,
> Cottonseed), Unbleached Enriched Wheat Flour [Flour, Malted Barley
> Flour, Reduced Iron, Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin
> (B2), Folic Acid], Water, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Dextrose, Egg
> Yolks, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Egg Whites, Modified Food Starch
> (Corn, Tapioca), Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
> Sodium Aluminum Phosphate), Salt, Glycerine, Wheat Starch, Corn Syrup,
> Soy Flour, Nonfat Milk, Karaya Gum, Guar Gum, Tapioca Dextrin,
> Cornstarch, Cellulose Gum, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Xanthan
> Gum, Mono- and Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin, Molasses, Calcium
> Carbonate, Calcium Sulfate, Artificial Color, Agar, Filberts, Carob
> Bean Gum, Sodium Phosphate, Caramel Color. Contains Nuts"

My grandmother made donuts and I think that is her recipe, almost
exactly. One difference, I think she used more Guar gum than Karaya gum
though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 10:39:24 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 2:03:45 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>> >
>> > The Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme. Unfortunately, there's only one in the state and it's on the island of Maui.

>> Funny. Think about what you just said. If Hawaiians like Krispy
>> Kreme, like in MANY hawaiians, there would be several on each
>> island. Especially on popular tourist Oahu.

>I have to wonder why you'd think how you think you know so much about this rock if you're thousands of miles away. I don't know a damn thing about where you live nor would I make comments or offer my analysis of your culture and business environment. That would be presumptuous.
>
>I only report what the heck is going on this rock, as unlikely as it may seem. Going to Maui and bringing back Krispy Kreme is a thing over here. People will cart back large number of boxes of the stuff and sell it as fund-raisers for their clubs. I've never bought a box of imported KK but MANY Hawaiians have. I don't find an hours old KK doughnut to be that appealing.
>
>OTOH, on my last trip to Maui, it was important that we visit this legendary temple to the gods of fat, carbs, and sugar. My guess is that the Kahului KK is a must see only for the locals. Visitors from the mainland would baulk at going to a doughnut shop during their Hawaiian vacation. That's a good thing. Don't come to Hawaii to visit no stinkin' doughnut shop! OTOH, I highly recommend Leonard's Bakery if you're on Oahu.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ74T6qpuVQ

I prefer Punalu'u.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 2:54:51 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> I thought people smoked a cigarette after honky tonking.

That's after sex for those that smoke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 12:50:25 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:

>>> What kind of nut goes looking for warm donuts after midnight?
>>>

>> Pretty tasty after honky tonking or a very late movie.

> I thought people smoked a cigarette after honky tonking.

So they can blow the smoke up your ass?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 11:46:35 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 10:39:24 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> Funny. Think about what you just said. If Hawaiians like Krispy
> >> Kreme, like in MANY hawaiians, there would be several on each
> >> island. Especially on popular tourist Oahu.

> >I have to wonder why you'd think how you think you know so much about this rock if you're thousands of miles away. I don't know a damn thing about where you live nor would I make comments or offer my analysis of your culture and business environment. That would be presumptuous.
> >
> >I only report what the heck is going on this rock, as unlikely as it may seem. Going to Maui and bringing back Krispy Kreme is a thing over here. People will cart back large number of boxes of the stuff and sell it as fund-raisers for their clubs. I've never bought a box of imported KK but MANY Hawaiians have. I don't find an hours old KK doughnut to be that appealing.
> >
> >OTOH, on my last trip to Maui, it was important that we visit this legendary temple to the gods of fat, carbs, and sugar. My guess is that the Kahului KK is a must see only for the locals. Visitors from the mainland would baulk at going to a doughnut shop during their Hawaiian vacation. That's a good thing. Don't come to Hawaii to visit no stinkin' doughnut shop! OTOH, I highly recommend Leonard's Bakery if you're on Oahu.
> >
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ74T6qpuVQ

> I prefer Punalu'u.

AKA, the Southernmost bakery in the US. I've never been there - perhaps one day, I will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdGaExyjN74

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >One more comment about the KK donuts. If you like a glazed donut,
> >find a place that makes them right on location. Go after midnight
> >and get some right off the assembly line. Still warm from cooking
> >and that glaze they put on them is like clear melted butter. Not
> >white like when they cool down. The warm, fresh donuts are so
> >soft, almost like cotton candy.

> What kind of nut goes looking for warm donuts after midnight?

lol ;-D

How about a quick midnight run for "munchies" after an evening
of partying and smoking da weed?

I've only had them twice. Once that night working there and:

Once during the school year of 72-73. I was hitchhiking from
the Wash.DC area to VaBeach late one Friday night. Got a ride
from some fellow near Richmond (about 90 miles away or so).
He was going all the way to the Beach.

When we got to Norfolk, he took an exit off the highway and
explained how he always stops at the KK when making this
trip at night. Told me about them and how good they were.
So I took his word for it and we each bought a dozen, hot
off the machine. Best glazed donuts I ever had.

So I scarfed down 4 of them in a very short time. The 8 left
I saved for my girlfriend, her mom and 2 little brothers.

So anyway, once we got into VaBeach, he asked what exit do
I want off at. Told him "Rosemont Road." He said, "ME TOO."
As my destination was still on the way to where he was
headed, he just took a 2 block detour and dropped me off
right at gf's house (about 1:30am). Nice fellow.

Never knew his name, never saw him again but what he did
was definitly a "random act of kindness."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 2:03:45 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > > The Hawaiians dig Krispy Kreme. Unfortunately, there's only one in the state and it's on the island of Maui.

> > Funny. Think about what you just said. If Hawaiians like Krispy
> > Kreme, like in MANY hawaiians, there would be several on each
> > island. Especially on popular tourist Oahu.

> I have to wonder why you'd think how you think you know so much about this rock if you're thousands of miles away. I don't know a damn thing about where you live nor would I make comments or offer my analysis of your culture and business environment. That would be presumptuous.

If Hawaiians all like Krispy Kreme donuts, I find it very funny
that there is only ONE store in your entire state...and that one
on a different island, far far away. Don't you see the humor in
that? Sounds to me like very few Hawaiians like them.

> Don't come to Hawaii to visit no stinkin' doughnut shop!

No problem...there isn't any unless I visit Maui.

> OTOH, I highly recommend Leonard's Bakery if you're on Oahu.

Damn, and all this time I thought Leonard lived in Nevada.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> If I was in Daly City, I'd have to be out of my mind to
> want to make a trip to a stinkin' doughnut shop.

Why wouldn't you if you love them? It's probably only just
down the street, no stinkin plane trip to Maui.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Oct 2019 11:08:12 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> If I was in Daly City, I'd have to be out of my mind to
>> want to make a trip to a stinkin' doughnut shop.

>Why wouldn't you if you love them? It's probably only just
>down the street, no stinkin plane trip to Maui.

Ukeleles only eat the holes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 20:31:23 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 11:46:35 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 10:39:24 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >I have to wonder why you'd think how you think you know so much about this rock if you're thousands of miles away. I don't know a damn thing about where you live nor would I make comments or offer my analysis of your culture and business environment. That would be presumptuous.
>> >
>> >I only report what the heck is going on this rock, as unlikely as it may seem. Going to Maui and bringing back Krispy Kreme is a thing over here. People will cart back large number of boxes of the stuff and sell it as fund-raisers for their clubs. I've never bought a box of imported KK but MANY Hawaiians have. I don't find an hours old KK doughnut to be that appealing.
>> >
>> >OTOH, on my last trip to Maui, it was important that we visit this legendary temple to the gods of fat, carbs, and sugar. My guess is that the Kahului KK is a must see only for the locals. Visitors from the mainland would baulk at going to a doughnut shop during their Hawaiian vacation. That's a good thing. Don't come to Hawaii to visit no stinkin' doughnut shop! OTOH, I highly recommend Leonard's Bakery if you're on Oahu.
>> >
>> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ74T6qpuVQ

>> I prefer Punalu'u.

>AKA, the Southernmost bakery in the US. I've never been there - perhaps one day, I will.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdGaExyjN74

That southern drive is terrific.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 5:06:32 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> If Hawaiians all like Krispy Kreme donuts, I find it very funny
> that there is only ONE store in your entire state...and that one
> on a different island, far far away. Don't you see the humor in
> that? Sounds to me like very few Hawaiians like them.

You already said this. It's still not true. Better luck next time. Bringing doughnuts on an airplane is just a thing we do. I don't do it because I'm not going to babysit no stinkin' box of doughnuts on no stinkin' plane ride.. Although, if someone brought some to Kaneohe from Maui, I might force one or two down so as not to throw the ridiculousness of this custom back in some poor sap's face. Unlike yoose guys, I have respect other people's feelings.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/krispy-kreme-kahului

OTOH, my guess is that some people on the mainland believe the Hawaiians to be slaves to unhealthy foods. Is it true? Beats me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT1KD_EP2Cc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 6:12:23 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 20:31:23 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 11:46:35 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:
> >> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 10:39:24 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> >> I prefer Punalu'u.

> >AKA, the Southernmost bakery in the US. I've never been there - perhaps one day, I will.
> >
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdGaExyjN74

> That southern drive is terrific.

I shall have to do that. The last time I went from Kona to Hilo, I was a kid and it was in a VW bug and I had to go to the toilet early on. We didn't stop. That was a most memorable trip.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Oct 2019 11:05:18 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>> >One more comment about the KK donuts. If you like a glazed donut,
>> >find a place that makes them right on location. Go after midnight
>> >and get some right off the assembly line. Still warm from cooking
>> >and that glaze they put on them is like clear melted butter. Not
>> >white like when they cool down. The warm, fresh donuts are so
>> >soft, almost like cotton candy.

>> What kind of nut goes looking for warm donuts after midnight?

>lol ;-D
>
>How about a quick midnight run for "munchies" after an evening
>of partying and smoking da weed?

I never smoke weed and the closest donut would be a half an hour drive
away over potholes, dodging kangaroos, without streetlights. So maybe
it's not for me.

<snip random act of kindness>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 10:52:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 wrote:

> Website store locators are great. The 2 nearest ones are in Maui
> and in Daly City CA. The Krispy Kreme in Daly City is 2385.6
> miles away. Both would require that I take a plane trip.

Don't your people have daily gyosen or wasen service between
islands?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 7:04:07 PM UTC-10, Frank Burger wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 10:52:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 wrote:
>
> > Website store locators are great. The 2 nearest ones are in Maui
> > and in Daly City CA. The Krispy Kreme in Daly City is 2385.6
> > miles away. Both would require that I take a plane trip.

> Don't your people have daily gyosen or wasen service between
> islands?

As it goes we don't got shit between the islands. We could have had big, beautiful, fast, superferrys moving us people but that was shut down faster than the Beatles playing on a London rooftop. My guess it's was the work of some commie *******s who want to control the Hawaiian people and keep them away from things that they love i.e., Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

https://mauiguide.com/hawaii-superferry/

Of course, if there was a Krispy Kreme on Oahu, nobody would care about no stinkin' superferry. It would have cost about $3 Million to build a stinkin' Krispy Kreme somewhere in my hometown. Instead, $170 Million was spent on 2 stinkin' boats that later went down the drain. Insane! Obviously, this is the work of some mainland capitalist pigs who want to finish the work that their capitalist pig forefathers started in 1893. This time, they want to steal what little joy that the Hawaiians had left: eating sweet sugary treats unfettered by space and/or time.

"Mainland mentality
A donut is a donut the world around, deep fat fried food with sugar on it....a no brainer, but Aloha is Hawaiian and you can tell these folks don't have it. Krispy Kreme on Oahu is never going to happen, you get day olds at Sam's or sweaty boxes on the side of the road. The employees could care less because they try to live on slave wages and no insurance, The management is ran from the mainland who could care less what the locals want. I and my clients enjoyed The Maui Bakeshop, Roy Stillwell's and Homemaid Bakery much more because they had great product and lots of Aloha.

Date of visit: January 2011
Value
Atmosphere
Service
Food
Ask Bongo12 about Krispy Kreme"

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...i_Hawaii.html#
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 01:53:08 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>"Mainland mentality
>A donut is a donut the world around, deep fat fried food with sugar on it...a no brainer, but Aloha is Hawaiian and you can tell these folks don't have it. Krispy Kreme on Oahu is never going to happen, you get day olds at Sam's or sweaty boxes on the side of the road. The employees could care less because they try to live on slave wages and no insurance, The management is ran from the mainland who could care less what the locals want. I and my clients enjoyed The Maui Bakeshop, Roy Stillwell's and Homemaid Bakery much more because they had great product and lots of Aloha.
>
>Date of visit: January 2011
>Value
>Atmosphere
>Service
>Food
>Ask Bongo12 about Krispy Kreme"
>
>https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...i_Hawaii.html#

Maybe someone should compare American states: life expectancy versus
availability of donuts. There could be a negative correlation. And
then the same research, but only focused on policemen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
dsi1 > wrote:

> That's a good thing.
> Don't come to Hawaii to visit no stinkin' doughnut shop! OTOH, I highly
> recommend Leonard's Bakery if you're on Oahu.

Any bakery named after me has to be good. Also, Neal was a recent
ancestor. I have no idea of how Hawaiians view him, but if badly, I
disown the connection.

leo