Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

Default Thai Chicken Wings ( Sukhumvit Soi Five Fried Chicken)

http://food.theatlantic.com/abroad/b...ed-chicken.php

>> Who knew that the chicken guy outside Foodland on Soi 5 had a fried
>> chicken recipe good enough for the Royal Benja Hotel to buy?

> I've been using a slurry of rice flour and Mae Ploy curry pastes as
> a marinade chicken wings for a while now. I'll try adding fish
> sauce and extra garlic.
>
> The Mae Ploy curry pastes have gotten really cheap here - only
> $1.99 for a 14oz tub. SOi you can be generous with the marinade
> ingredients. And they have all the basic thai seasonings already in
> them. I just wish they weren't so salty - which is why I'd be
> worried about the fish sauce.

I used the fish sauce this time around and it added a little more
depth of flavor. Fish sauce perks up most anything when used in
moderation. Except chocolate milk.

I think I'm going to switch away from using the rice flour in the
slurry and going back to draining my marinated wings well, then
shake in a bag with glutinous rice flour to coat. Then allow to set
for 10-15 minutes. I can see why a street vendor would do it the
other way.

Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
tossing several times then drained and deep fried.

http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg

No sauce or condiments required.

I have tried chicken prepared similar to the recipe in the link
above and it's a keeper as well. Use cilantro stems instead of
roots (you'd be lucky to find roots unless you grow them yourself).

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote

> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> No sauce or condiments required.

Looks great, but I am not a big fan of red curry paste. I'm thinking of
using Sriracha sauce instead when I try it.

Nice picture!

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:51:34 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:40:37 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>I think I'm going to switch away from using the rice flour in the
>>slurry and going back to draining my marinated wings well, then
>>shake in a bag with glutinous rice flour to coat. Then allow to set
>>for 10-15 minutes. I can see why a street vendor would do it the
>>other way.

> To get glutinous rice flour, do you have to grind the rice yourself? I
> can get rice flour in bags, but have no idea of what kind it is.

I buy it in 1-lb bags. Looks like:
http://importfood.com/fger1601.html

It's always clearly marked as glutinous, unlike many Asian imports.

> And does the glutinous rice flour provide a crispier coating?

It's all I've ever used. It makes a very crisp coating. Better
than any cornstarch or wheat flour. I would think the extra
starch/gluten would be better than regular rice flour, but I've
never tried regular rice flour.

> I ask, because I have fixed Pim's (of Chez Pim) Thai fried chicken on
> 2 occasions. Each time, I wasn't quite satisfied with the coating...
> She coats with rice flour after marinating, and then fries...

I think rice flour is pretty common in all Asian restaurants and
everything is as crispy as I could expect. It also tends to keep it
crispiness longer.

-sw (restoring legitimate crossposting. This started at AFA. If
you need to snip anything, snip RFC)
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:07:57 -0500, George Leppla wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote
>
>> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
>> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
>> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
>> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>>
>> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>>
>> No sauce or condiments required.

> Looks great, but I am not a big fan of red curry paste. I'm thinking of
> using Sriracha sauce instead when I try it.

Mae Ploy has all sorts of curry pastes. I have 3 difefrrent kinds
in the fridge right now. They're only $2/14 tub so you can use them
generously.

You could also use Hoy Fong's Chili Garlic Sauce. I like the
various flavors of the curry pastes though. Lots of good stuff in
there (but too much salt).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-09-13, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> To get glutinous rice flour, do you have to grind the rice yourself? I
> can get rice flour in bags, but have no idea of what kind it is.

Try:

- http://importfood.com/fger1601.html
- http://grocerythai.com/glutinous-rice-flour-p-141.html
- http://www.templeofthai.com/food/flo...1220111107.php

--
Clay Irving >
Eat right, exercise daily, live clean, die anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here is a video I took of a street vendor frying chicken in a market in
Thailand:

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirving/3797533554/

--
Clay Irving >
echo "Your stdio isn't very std."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 00:10:47 +0000 (UTC), Clay Irving wrote:

> - http://www.templeofthai.com/food/flo...1220111107.php

From the site:

"Consider adding sticky rice flour to a glutton-free diet"

This is good to know as I'm trying to cut back on my gluttony.

BTW, for those who care - The term "glutinous" is not referring to
actual gluten. This rice flour *is* acceptable for those on
gluten-free diets. People on such diets can use this as a thin
batter or coasting for [deep] frying.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 00:17:15 +0000 (UTC), Clay Irving wrote:

> Here is a video I took of a street vendor frying chicken in a market in
> Thailand:
>
> - http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirving/3797533554/

How hot do you think that oil is? It sure looks "well used".

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:13:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg

Yum!

> No sauce or condiments required.

I'd have to try lime juice. Sorry.

> I have tried chicken prepared similar to the recipe in the link
> above and it's a keeper as well. Use cilantro stems instead of
> roots (you'd be lucky to find roots unless you grow them yourself).

That's weird. In Australia I've never seen fresh coriander for sale without
the roots on.

Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:13:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 22:30:30 -0400, wrote:
>>
>>> Jarrett Wrisley has an interesting story and an intriguing recipe for
>>> the delicious fried chicken available on Bangkok streets he

http://food.theatlantic.com/abroad/b...ed-chicken.php

>>> Who knew that the chicken guy outside Foodland on Soi 5 had a fried
>>> chicken recipe good enough for the Royal Benja Hotel to buy?

>> I've been using a slurry of rice flour and Mae Ploy curry pastes as
>> a marinade chicken wings for a while now. I'll try adding fish
>> sauce and extra garlic.
>>
>> The Mae Ploy curry pastes have gotten really cheap here - only
>> $1.99 for a 14oz tub. SOi you can be generous with the marinade
>> ingredients. And they have all the basic thai seasonings already in
>> them. I just wish they weren't so salty - which is why I'd be
>> worried about the fish sauce.

> I used the fish sauce this time around and it added a little more
> depth of flavor. Fish sauce perks up most anything when used in
> moderation. Except chocolate milk.
>
> I think I'm going to switch away from using the rice flour in the
> slurry and going back to draining my marinated wings well, then
> shake in a bag with glutinous rice flour to coat. Then allow to set
> for 10-15 minutes. I can see why a street vendor would do it the
> other way.
>
> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> No sauce or condiments required.
>
> I have tried chicken prepared similar to the recipe in the link
> above and it's a keeper as well. Use cilantro stems instead of
> roots (you'd be lucky to find roots unless you grow them yourself).
>
> -sw

Nice pic - I want some right now!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:51:34 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:40:37 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I think I'm going to switch away from using the rice flour in the
>>> slurry and going back to draining my marinated wings well, then
>>> shake in a bag with glutinous rice flour to coat. Then allow to set
>>> for 10-15 minutes. I can see why a street vendor would do it the
>>> other way.

>> To get glutinous rice flour, do you have to grind the rice yourself? I
>> can get rice flour in bags, but have no idea of what kind it is.

> I buy it in 1-lb bags. Looks like:
> http://importfood.com/fger1601.html
>
> It's always clearly marked as glutinous, unlike many Asian imports.
>
>> And does the glutinous rice flour provide a crispier coating?

> It's all I've ever used. It makes a very crisp coating. Better
> than any cornstarch or wheat flour. I would think the extra
> starch/gluten would be better than regular rice flour, but I've
> never tried regular rice flour.
>
>> I ask, because I have fixed Pim's (of Chez Pim) Thai fried chicken on
>> 2 occasions. Each time, I wasn't quite satisfied with the coating...
>> She coats with rice flour after marinating, and then fries...

> I think rice flour is pretty common in all Asian restaurants and
> everything is as crispy as I could expect. It also tends to keep it
> crispiness longer.

I have used a Jean-Gorges Vongerichten recipe for deep-fried fish that
uses a rice flour batter - its mixed with some sesame oil, wine vinegar
and other items that don't come to mind, but the point is that the
batter is the best fish batter I ever made, and I wouldn't deep fry fish
any other way now.

With the good weather coming to an end, there won't be much more
deep-frying of fish, since that is solely an outdoor activity!

Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:08:57 +1000, Michael wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:13:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg

> Yum!
>
>> No sauce or condiments required.

> I'd have to try lime juice. Sorry.

Good suggestion. I actually had some cut up limes sitting right
there as I ate them.

> That's weird. In Australia I've never seen fresh coriander for sale without
> the roots on.

Not here in the US. I've only once seen them at the big Asian
grocers.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> No sauce or condiments required.
>
> I have tried chicken prepared similar to the recipe in the link
> above and it's a keeper as well. Use cilantro stems instead of
> roots (you'd be lucky to find roots unless you grow them yourself).
>
> -sw

Oh man that looks good! You can cook for me any time babe. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Clay Irving > wrote:

> Here is a video I took of a street vendor frying chicken in a market in
> Thailand:
>
> - http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirving/3797533554/

I had fun viewing a lot of your pics, but the video would not play.
I run Firefox.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Clay Irving > wrote:
>
>> Here is a video I took of a street vendor frying chicken in a market in
>> Thailand:
>>
>> - http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirving/3797533554/

> I had fun viewing a lot of your pics, but the video would not play.
> I run Firefox.

I had trouble streaming it too. It would play and then freeze. I used the
firefox extension called 'downThemAll' to nab it. 'DownloadHelper' worked
too.

Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:13:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 22:30:30 -0400, wrote:
>>
>>> Jarrett Wrisley has an interesting story and an intriguing recipe for
>>> the delicious fried chicken available on Bangkok streets he

http://food.theatlantic.com/abroad/b...ed-chicken.php

>>> Who knew that the chicken guy outside Foodland on Soi 5 had a fried
>>> chicken recipe good enough for the Royal Benja Hotel to buy?

>> I've been using a slurry of rice flour and Mae Ploy curry pastes as
>> a marinade chicken wings for a while now. I'll try adding fish
>> sauce and extra garlic.
>>
>> The Mae Ploy curry pastes have gotten really cheap here - only
>> $1.99 for a 14oz tub. SOi you can be generous with the marinade
>> ingredients. And they have all the basic thai seasonings already in
>> them. I just wish they weren't so salty - which is why I'd be
>> worried about the fish sauce.

> I used the fish sauce this time around and it added a little more
> depth of flavor. Fish sauce perks up most anything when used in
> moderation. Except chocolate milk.
>
> I think I'm going to switch away from using the rice flour in the
> slurry and going back to draining my marinated wings well, then
> shake in a bag with glutinous rice flour to coat. Then allow to set
> for 10-15 minutes. I can see why a street vendor would do it the
> other way.
>
> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> No sauce or condiments required.
>
> I have tried chicken prepared similar to the recipe in the link
> above and it's a keeper as well. Use cilantro stems instead of
> roots (you'd be lucky to find roots unless you grow them yourself).
>
> -sw

Do you think one could bake them?

Hmmm. I might be tempted to try a tom yum paste....

--
Jean B.
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:40:37 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> No sauce or condiments required.

they look good, steve.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-09-14, Sqwertz > wrote:

> It sure looks "well used".

My first thought, too. Looks like it's left over from the Vietnam war
era.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> No sauce or condiments required.

Looks PDG good to me. Another reason why I don't mind spending a little
extra moolah for chicken wings...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
>> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
>> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
>> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>>
>> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>>
>> No sauce or condiments required.

> Looks PDG good to me. Another reason why I don't mind spending a little
> extra moolah for chicken wings...

I do. It galls me to be able to buy leg quarters for 45 cents a pound or
less and have to pay $1.57+++ for wings. I like them but I always get the
feeling that I'm getting ripped off when I buy them. So I don't have them
very often.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" wrote
>>
>> Looks PDG good to me. Another reason why I don't mind spending a
>> little extra moolah for chicken wings...

> I do. It galls me to be able to buy leg quarters for 45 cents a pound
> or less and have to pay $1.57+++ for wings. I like them but I always
> get the
> feeling that I'm getting ripped off when I buy them. So I don't have
> them very often.

Well, it's either that - or have a bunch of wingless chickens running
around in my back yard ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla said...

>> Looks PDG good to me. Another reason why I don't mind spending a little
>> extra moolah for chicken wings...

Chicken wings are way more bones than meat!

I don't understand the attraction.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
>George Leppla said...
>
>>> Looks PDG good to me. Another reason why I don't mind spending a little
>>> extra moolah for chicken wings...

>Chicken wings are way more bones than meat!
>
>I don't understand the attraction.

There are leg men, breast men, and wing men... guess which I am...

( ^ )( ^ )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 said...

> Andy wrote:
>>George Leppla said...

little

>>Chicken wings are way more bones than meat!
>>
>>I don't understand the attraction.
>>

> There are leg men, breast men, and wing men... guess which I am...
>
> ( ^ )( ^ )

Heh heh heh!

I'm more a middle of the road man!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"George Leppla" > wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> > Sqwertz wrote:
> >>
> >> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> >> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> >> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> >> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
> >>
> >> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
> >>
> >> No sauce or condiments required.

> > Looks PDG good to me. Another reason why I don't mind spending a little
> > extra moolah for chicken wings...

> I do. It galls me to be able to buy leg quarters for 45 cents a pound or
> less and have to pay $1.57+++ for wings. I like them but I always get the
> feeling that I'm getting ripped off when I buy them. So I don't have them
> very often.
>
> George L

Ditto here. I can get drumsticks all the time now for $.99.
I generally buy them instead.

They can take their expensive wings and stuff them.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-09-14, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> "George Leppla" > wrote:

>> less and have to pay $1.57+++ for wings. I like them but I always get the
>> feeling that I'm getting ripped off when I buy them. So I don't have them
>> very often.

> Ditto here. I can get drumsticks all the time now for $.99.
> I generally buy them instead.

Which amazes me. We all know chicken wings are so expensive due to
their insane popularity. Bars and restaruants buy 'em by the ship
load. So, why don't they change to Buffalo Legs? Not that much
difference in the actual meat. Less overhead so more profit, you
would think. Is it because wings deep fry quicker, therefore allowing
faster prep/turnover?

> They can take their expensive wings and stuff them.

Are you gonna post the recipe?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-09-14, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Drumsticks, not as much fun to eat, in my opinion.

Silly me. I was only thinking of the actual food. Perhaps I should
market a wing bone Binky.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:56:34 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>

> So, why don't they change to Buffalo Legs? Not that much
> >difference in the actual meat. Less overhead so more profit, you
> >would think. Is it because wings deep fry quicker, therefore allowing
> >faster prep/turnover?

> Some of us really, really like chicken wings. I like gnawing on the
> bones... When I roast a chicken, those are the first to be eaten....
>
> Drumsticks, not as much fun to eat, in my opinion.
>
> Christine

I agree that wings are better, but they are just so damned expensive!
I'd rather buy the whole bird.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-09-14, Omelet > wrote:

>> Are you gonna post the recipe?
>>
>> nb

><lol> There are actually recipes for stuffed Thai chicken wings.
><searches hard drive>:

Holy crap! I was just being facetious. I had no idea there was such
a thing. Judging by the recipe, it's no wonder. Must hafta have a
full time staff to make such a dish. You ever tried to find cilantro
roots? I have. Ain't gonna happen unless you grow your own. I never
even heard of red lime juice or whatever the heck that was. But, I'll
save the recipe for chuckles, if only I can get my suddenly
cantankerous news reader to do a save.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:27:11 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2009-09-14, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>>

>>> Drumsticks, not as much fun to eat, in my opinion.

>> Silly me. I was only thinking of the actual food. Perhaps I should
>> market a wing bone Binky.
>>
>> nb

> Chicken wings aren't food?
>
> Well...as I said..some of us really like chicken wings, even if you
> don't...

LOL! nb and I are totally sympatico!!

TammyM

Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:32:27 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

> Do you think one could bake them?

Sure. I almost baked these, but then I weighed the pan cleanup
against the smell of frying (and resulting texture) and the later
one. These smells great as they were frying.

> Hmmm. I might be tempted to try a tom yum paste....

I'd be tempted to add some sugar, then. That paste is pretty tart.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

> Which amazes me. We all know chicken wings are so expensive due to
> their insane popularity. Bars and restaruants buy 'em by the ship
> load. So, why don't they change to Buffalo Legs? Not that much
> difference in the actual meat.

I think it is not the meat that makes a difference, but the ratio of
skin to meat. Skin is the tastiest part, at least as far as a lot of
people are concerned. Here in Germany, chicken wings are not nearly as
popular as in the USA and consequently do not cost quite as much
compared to other chicken parts, but I still prefer the legs and thighs
(or both in one piece) for cooking at home.

Victor
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:32:27 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Do you think one could bake them?

> Sure. I almost baked these, but then I weighed the pan cleanup
> against the smell of frying (and resulting texture) and the later
> one. These smells great as they were frying.
>
>> Hmmm. I might be tempted to try a tom yum paste....

> I'd be tempted to add some sugar, then. That paste is pretty tart.
>
> -sw

Yeah, that's why I like it. :-) I don't like deep-frying, which
is why I asked. This looks like a worthy direction for
experimentation--and the weather is cooling down.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Some of us really, really like chicken wings. I like gnawing on the
> bones... When I roast a chicken, those are the first to be eaten....

<Cathy raises hand - Me too! Me too!>

> Drumsticks, not as much fun to eat, in my opinion.

Quite so.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to alt.food.asian,rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:14:16 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

> This looks like a worthy direction for
> experimentation--and the weather is cooling down.

It's just chicken. It's kinda cool.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
>Christine Dabney wrote:
>>
>> Some of us really, really like chicken wings. I like gnawing on the
>> bones... When I roast a chicken, those are the first to be eaten....

><Cathy raises hand - Me too! Me too!>
>>
>> Drumsticks, not as much fun to eat, in my opinion.

>Quite so.

Figures the gals would be more experienced. hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:15:52 -0500, George Leppla wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>>
>>> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
>>> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
>>> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
>>> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>>>
>>> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>>>
>>> No sauce or condiments required.

>> Looks PDG good to me. Another reason why I don't mind spending a little
>> extra moolah for chicken wings...

> I do. It galls me to be able to buy leg quarters for 45 cents a pound or
> less and have to pay $1.57+++ for wings. I like them but I always get the
> feeling that I'm getting ripped off when I buy them. So I don't have them
> very often.
>
> George L

i'm with you, george. even though i might enjoy them more, i have a mental
block about paying more for them than other parts. the people of buffalo
must be punished for this.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:26:02 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> George Leppla wrote:
>

>> "ChattyCathy" wrote
>>>
>>> Looks PDG good to me. Another reason why I don't mind spending a
>>> little extra moolah for chicken wings...

>> I do. It galls me to be able to buy leg quarters for 45 cents a pound
>> or less and have to pay $1.57+++ for wings. I like them but I always
>> get the
>> feeling that I'm getting ripped off when I buy them. So I don't have
>> them very often.

> Well, it's either that - or have a bunch of wingless chickens running
> around in my back yard ;-)

it'll make a nice change from the headless chickens.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:18:58 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>>George Leppla said...

>>Chicken wings are way more bones than meat!
>>
>>I don't understand the attraction.
>>

> There are leg men, breast men, and wing men... guess which I am...
>
> ( ^ )( ^ )

you can remember that far back?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 23:15:29 +0200, Victor Sack wrote:

> notbob > wrote:
>
>> Which amazes me. We all know chicken wings are so expensive due to
>> their insane popularity. Bars and restaruants buy 'em by the ship
>> load. So, why don't they change to Buffalo Legs? Not that much
>> difference in the actual meat.

> I think it is not the meat that makes a difference, but the ratio of
> skin to meat. Skin is the tastiest part, at least as far as a lot of
> people are concerned.

ah, victor, you beat me to it.

your pal,
blake