Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Zucchini bread (It's that time again!)

Adapted from Zucchini Bread, James Beard's
"Carl Goh's Zucchini Bread" from James Beard's Bread Cookbook
(modified to be low-fat) Makes two loaves

3 eggs (or Egg Beaters)
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
(this has already been reduced--don't reduce much further!)
1/3 cup oil plus 2/3 c. applesauce (or 1 cup cooking oil)
2 c. coarsely grated raw zucchini (or golden zucchini)
3 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg, pinch of cloves and allspice
1 c. coarsely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
raisins, optional (we don't like 'em)
1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Grease well and flour two 9 inch loaf pans.
Sift together flour, leavenings, and spices, set aside.
Beat eggs till light and foamy, stir in sugar, vanilla, and oil,
mixing well. Add dry ingredients gradually while still stirring to
combine Add zucchini, mix well, then nuts. Pour into pans.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for ~50-60 minutes or until a tester
comes out clean. Cool on rack about 15 minutes, then remove from pan
and continue to cool until room temperature. Wrap securely. Serve
sliced, spread with cream cheese.

This bread freezes very well. It's great for breakfast.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:59:07 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>Adapted from Zucchini Bread, James Beard's
> "Carl Goh's Zucchini Bread" from James Beard's Bread Cookbook
> (modified to be low-fat) Makes two loaves
>
>3 eggs (or Egg Beaters)
>1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
>(this has already been reduced--don't reduce much further!)
>1/3 cup oil plus 2/3 c. applesauce (or 1 cup cooking oil)
>2 c. coarsely grated raw zucchini (or golden zucchini)
>3 tsp. vanilla extract
>3 c. all purpose flour
>1 tsp. salt
>1 tsp. baking soda
>1/4 tsp. baking powder
>3 tsp. ground cinnamon
>1/2 tsp. nutmeg, pinch of cloves and allspice
>1 c. coarsely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
> raisins, optional (we don't like 'em)
> 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
>
>Grease well and flour two 9 inch loaf pans.
>Sift together flour, leavenings, and spices, set aside.
>Beat eggs till light and foamy, stir in sugar, vanilla, and oil,
>mixing well. Add dry ingredients gradually while still stirring to
>combine Add zucchini, mix well, then nuts. Pour into pans.
>
>Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for ~50-60 minutes or until a tester
>comes out clean. Cool on rack about 15 minutes, then remove from pan
>and continue to cool until room temperature. Wrap securely. Serve
>sliced, spread with cream cheese.
>
>This bread freezes very well. It's great for breakfast.
>
>gloria p

Looks good. Here is another type of zucchini bread. It is for a
bread machine but I use my mixer or food processor.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Whole Wheat Zucchini Herb Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads

1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 cup zucchini -- grated
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups flour, bread
1 tablespoon basil, fresh -- chopped
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order
suggested by
the manufacturer. Set for Basic Bread cycle, or Normal setting.

Source:
"http://bread.allrecipes.com/AZ/WhleWhtZucchiniHrbBrd.asp"
Yield:
"1 1/2 pounds"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 534 Calories; 19g Fat (29.5%
calories from fat); 17g Protein; 83g Carbohydrate; 15g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 2147mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 10:59*am, Gloria P > wrote:
> Adapted from Zucchini Bread, James Beard's * * *
> * * "Carl Goh's Zucchini Bread" from James Beard's Bread Cookbook
> * * (modified to be low-fat) Makes two loaves
>
> 3 eggs (or Egg Beaters)
> 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
> (this has already been reduced--don't reduce much further!)
> 1/3 cup oil plus 2/3 c. applesauce (or 1 cup cooking oil)
> 2 c. coarsely grated raw zucchini (or golden zucchini)
> 3 tsp. vanilla extract
> 3 c. all purpose flour
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1 tsp. baking soda
> 1/4 tsp. baking powder
> 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
> 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, pinch of cloves and allspice
> 1 c. coarsely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
> * * * * raisins, optional (we don't like 'em)
> * * * * 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
>
> Grease well and flour two 9 inch loaf pans.
> Sift together flour, leavenings, and spices, set aside.
> Beat eggs till light and foamy, stir in sugar, vanilla, and oil,
> mixing well. Add dry ingredients gradually while still stirring to
> combine Add zucchini, mix well, then nuts. Pour into pans.
>
> Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for ~50-60 minutes or until a tester
> comes out clean. Cool on rack about 15 minutes, then remove from pan
> and continue to cool until room temperature. Wrap securely. Serve
> sliced, spread with cream cheese.
>
> This bread freezes very well. It's great for breakfast.
>
> gloria p

Yum!! I hope a frendly gardening neighbor leaves me some on my
doorstep...

I also like making savory zucchini pancakes when the "bounty" comes
in.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message

> Adapted from Zucchini Bread, James Beard's "Carl Goh's Zucchini Bread"
> from James Beard's Bread Cookbook
> (modified to be low-fat) Makes two loaves
>
> 3 eggs (or Egg Beaters)
> 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
> (this has already been reduced--don't reduce much further!)
> 1/3 cup oil plus 2/3 c. applesauce (or 1 cup cooking oil)
> 2 c. coarsely grated raw zucchini (or golden zucchini)
> 3 tsp. vanilla extract
> 3 c. all purpose flour
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1 tsp. baking soda
> 1/4 tsp. baking powder
> 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
> 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, pinch of cloves and allspice
> 1 c. coarsely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
> raisins, optional (we don't like 'em)
> 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
>
> Grease well and flour two 9 inch loaf pans.
> Sift together flour, leavenings, and spices, set aside.
> Beat eggs till light and foamy, stir in sugar, vanilla, and oil,
> mixing well. Add dry ingredients gradually while still stirring to combine
> Add zucchini, mix well, then nuts. Pour into pans.
>
> Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for ~50-60 minutes or until a tester
> comes out clean. Cool on rack about 15 minutes, then remove from pan
> and continue to cool until room temperature. Wrap securely. Serve
> sliced, spread with cream cheese.
>
> This bread freezes very well. It's great for breakfast.
>
> gloria p

Thanks for posting that. Have you tried making this with egg beaters?

The only thing I've tried to substitute eggbeaters in (other than omelets or
scrambled eggs) that I make is pancakes and the family said they could tell
the difference. They weren't as fluffy as they usually are. I've made them a
few times that way anyway, cause I think they are still pretty darn good.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:15:43 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>I also like making savory zucchini pancakes when the "bounty" comes
>in.

Where's the recipe???

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:15:43 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
>> I also like making savory zucchini pancakes when the "bounty" comes
>> in.

> Where's the recipe???

Note: I am not the OP.

Make pancake batter, add shredded zucchini. Cook as usual.
What's so hard? I'd say probably no maple syrup, huh?

;-)

gloria p
who doesn't like the sound of zuke pancakes,
but would probably like the results.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:48:50 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:15:43 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I also like making savory zucchini pancakes when the "bounty" comes
>>> in.

>> Where's the recipe???
>>

>Note: I am not the OP.
>
>Make pancake batter, add shredded zucchini. Cook as usual.
>What's so hard? I'd say probably no maple syrup, huh?

I'd say ginger syrup might be good.

>gloria p
>who doesn't like the sound of zuke pancakes,
>but would probably like the results.

Cornmeal pancakes might have some good possibilities.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" ha scritto nel messaggio

> Cornmeal pancakes might have some good possibilities.

They sounded good on the page but tasted horrid on my tongue. I love
cornmeal, but not cornmeal pancakes.
My mother used to make corncakes from tinned creamed corn, flour, egg, milk,
salt, pepper, perhaps a bit of baking powder, and we loved them. They were
very eggy, not puffy and light, always fried in butter. I'd try that with
zucchini.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

>> Cornmeal pancakes might have some good possibilities.

> They sounded good on the page but tasted horrid on my tongue. I love
> cornmeal, but not cornmeal pancakes.

Do you remember the recipe? I make cornmeal pancakes which I like very much,
but I had to add a very important step: Soak the cornmeal in boiling-hot
milk for half an hour. That makes the grains of cornmeal soften and swell,
so the pancakes aren't gritty. If your recipe didn't include a step like
that, you might want to try making them again, adding that step into the
recipe.

Bob

Zucchini bread fan123 Recipes 1 12-11-2010 11:31 AM
It's that time of year: Zucchini Bread Gloria P General Cooking 4 15-08-2008 11:39 PM
Have Zucchini, Need Zucchini Bread Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 33 04-08-2006 04:11 AM
Zucchini Pineapple Bread Anna Free Recipes (moderated) 0 19-10-2005 02:07 PM
Zucchini Bread: Duckie ® Recipes 0 23-09-2005 11:15 PM