Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner - Friday 7/10/09

Lin wrote:
> I'm finally settling back into "home mode" and getting my routine back
> on track since all the traveling in June and this first week of July.
> Took my beloved almost six-year-old granddaughter back to Oklahoma on
> Wednesday, and then flew back to California the same day. Not something
> I'd like to do often for sure. Wore me out.
>
> Anyway, I was feeling inspired and ready to get back into the kitchen.
> Safeway had fresh, wild caught halibut on sale for $8.99/lb., so I
> snagged two thick fillets. With fish as the star, tonight's dinner was
> of a Latin/Cuban/Mexican variety.

Dinner sounds yummy.

I took some beef out last night so we could have beef stew today. Only
it was pork. Oops. Pork stew is good, though, as it turns out. :-)
(Potatoes, onions, garlic, celery, carrots, mushrooms, Maggi seasoning,
salt, pepper, thickened a bit with cornstarch.)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Hi Serene, you wrote:

> I took some beef out last night so we could have beef stew today. Only
> it was pork. Oops. Pork stew is good, though, as it turns out. :-)
> (Potatoes, onions, garlic, celery, carrots, mushrooms, Maggi seasoning,
> salt, pepper, thickened a bit with cornstarch.)

That does sound good! I know we have Maggi seasoning in the pantry, but
I've never used it before. I'll keep it in mind for the next stew.

It's cooled off enough during the day (90 degrees!) that I considered
putting on a good chicken stock tonight, as well as a bacon stock with
some pork rinds and bits from a pork belly we have. As late as it is,
the stock will have to wait. But, I do see a white chicken chili in my
future!

Also on the agenda: I picked up a London Broil that I'm going to brown
and then slow cook in the oven with a red chile sauce I picked up in New
Mexico while dining with Christine D at "El Pinto." Not sure if/what I
should add to it. The dish they served at the restaurant appeared to be
beef that was simmered forever in the brilliant red stuff. No other
additions besides being served on a bread-like tortilla. I think they
called it a flat beef taco, but Christine would probably know better
what it was.

Speaking of London Broil ... I've considered buying more and grinding it
for ground round. These cuts I've been getting are very, very lean. Good
or bad idea? At $1.99/lb I don't think I could go wrong, but you never
know. I usually choose a good chuck or sirloin for grinding.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Quoting myself, I wrote:

> The dish they served at the restaurant appeared to be
> beef that was simmered forever in the brilliant red stuff. No other
> additions besides being served on a bread-like tortilla. I think they
> called it a flat beef taco, but Christine would probably know better
> what it was.

I just looked at the menu online and it's called a "Rolled Taco." Funny
that ... it was flat and open on my plate.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 22:27:36 -0700, Lin >
wrote:

>That does sound good! I know we have Maggi seasoning in the pantry, but
>I've never used it before. I'll keep it in mind for the next stew.

Maggi is used a lot by Scandinavians. I bought some because a Danish
friend swore by it, but I barely dented my bottle... couldn't stand
the flavor. I prefer L & P Worcestershire sauce.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote:

> Maggi is used a lot by Scandinavians. I bought some because a Danish
> friend swore by it, but I barely dented my bottle... couldn't stand
> the flavor. I prefer L & P Worcestershire sauce.

They're really not comparable products. The Maggi bottled product is
essentially a meat extract concentrate, a bouillion cube in liquid form and
is also a darkening colorant, contains caramelized sugar (burnt surgar).
Other ethan a small amount of anchovy worcestershire is primarilly a
vegetable product used as a sauce/condiment.