Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner - Friday 7/10/09

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:02:56 -0700, Lin wrote:

> I made Rick Bayless' "Salsa Verde: Green Tomatillo Salsa." I used
> serranos instead of jalapenos and roasted the tomatillos in the broiler
> rather than doing the raw/fresh version. Rick provides instructions on
> both ways. Owcheewawa it was spicy! Bob loved it, of course.
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ipe/index.html
>
> I also had some fresh corn, so I made a black bean, corn, and red bell
> pepper relish/salad. This was made on the fly, using a little red chili
> pepper flakes, a bit of three different vinegars till I got the flavor
> and brightness I wanted. I did add a little chopped torpedo onion as well.

o.k., you made me google 'torpedo onion.' i don't think i've seen one
before. is it kinda regional?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:02:56 -0700, Lin wrote:

> I made Rick Bayless' "Salsa Verde: Green Tomatillo Salsa." I
> used serranos instead of jalapenos and roasted the tomatillos
> in the broiler rather than doing the raw/fresh version. Rick
> provides instructions on both ways. Owcheewawa it was spicy! Bob
> loved it, of course.

Serranos are the standard choice for Salsa Verde; I wonder
why Bayless specified jalapenos.

It's great to roast everything, but if it's ultimately going
into a pork chile verde where it braises for several hours,
it's okay to not pre-cook the tomatillos. (It's non-intuitive
as they are not very appetizing just raw and diced up.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

blake murphy wrote:

> o.k., you made me google 'torpedo onion.' i don't think i've seen one
> before. is it kinda regional?

I suppose it is. I'd never heard of them before moving to California --
though I don't know why they wouldn't grow anywhere that regular onions
can grow.

The are very sweet and mild. They are great on sandwiches. I especially
like them in tuna salad. The tops are too large and thick to do anything
with though.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Steve Pope wrote:

> Serranos are the standard choice for Salsa Verde; I wonder
> why Bayless specified jalapenos.

I'm not sure if you looked at the recipe, but the choice was using two
serranos or one jalapeno. Maybe the serranos aren't as easy to come by
across the country, or maybe they are seasonal in areas. Jalapenos seem
to be everywhere year round.

> It's great to roast everything, but if it's ultimately going
> into a pork chile verde where it braises for several hours,
> it's okay to not pre-cook the tomatillos. (It's non-intuitive
> as they are not very appetizing just raw and diced up.)

It was my first time using tomatillos. I might have to try them raw at
some point, but the roasting sure brought out a lot of flavor.

BTW: We've been watching "Top Chef Masters" and I especially enjoyed the
episode with Rick Bayless. I didn't know he was from my old stomping
grounds of Oklahoma City! His family owned a very famous BBQ joint there
for 30 years.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Serranos are the standard choice for Salsa Verde; I wonder
>> why Bayless specified jalapenos.

>I'm not sure if you looked at the recipe, but the choice was using two
>serranos or one jalapeno. Maybe the serranos aren't as easy to come by
>across the country, or maybe they are seasonal in areas. Jalapenos seem
>to be everywhere year round.

Yes, it's a bit of an issue because tomatillos appear earlier
in the season than various kinds of peppers. In fact, the
tomatillos are already there now. But there is some overlap, in
the autumn months.

>> It's great to roast everything, but if it's ultimately going
>> into a pork chile verde where it braises for several hours,
>> it's okay to not pre-cook the tomatillos. (It's non-intuitive
>> as they are not very appetizing just raw and diced up.)

>It was my first time using tomatillos. I might have to try them raw at
>some point, but the roasting sure brought out a lot of flavor.

If you're a meat-eater and have not made a classic tomatillo/serrano/
pork shoulder based chili verde, I strongly encourage it. It's
really straightforward, pretty much a can't-miss dish. Prepping
all the tomatillos is probably the only tedious part of it.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote:

> o.k., you made me google 'torpedo onion.' i don't think i've seen one
> before. is it kinda regional?

I'd never seen it before I joined the CSA. The variety is apparently from
Italy, but it ought to grow in latitudes close to Sacramento's.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote about torpedo onions:

> I think they grow near Stockton. I used to see them in Berkeley Bowl
> all summer. I love them.
>
> Can't get them here...darnit.

It's a function of how long the days are (which in turn is a function of
latitude). We're pretty far north of you. I don't think you ever get the 15
1/2 hours of sunlight that we get during our "long day" season, and that's
what determines viability for torpedo onions.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 18:25:24 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> blake wrote:
>
>> o.k., you made me google 'torpedo onion.' i don't think i've seen one
>> before. is it kinda regional?

> I'd never seen it before I joined the CSA. The variety is apparently from
> Italy, but it ought to grow in latitudes close to Sacramento's.
>
> Bob

thanks for the responses, bob and lin.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:02:56 -0700, Lin wrote:
>>
>> I made Rick Bayless' "Salsa Verde: Green Tomatillo Salsa." I used
>> serranos instead of jalapenos and roasted the tomatillos in the
>> broiler rather than doing the raw/fresh version. Rick provides
>> instructions on both ways. Owcheewawa it was spicy! Bob loved it, of
>> course.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ipe/index.html

>> I also had some fresh corn, so I made a black bean, corn, and red
>> bell pepper relish/salad. This was made on the fly, using a little
>> red chili pepper flakes, a bit of three different vinegars till I
>> got the flavor and brightness I wanted. I did add a little chopped
>> torpedo onion as well.

> o.k., you made me google 'torpedo onion.' i don't think i've seen one
> before. is it kinda regional?

"Torpedo" onions give ya "torpedo" farts, blake...

;-D

--
Best
Greg