Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default SPAGHETTI SQUASH

I goofed and I'm really sorry to have wasted you're precious time; I
apologize, even to that very brave person hiding safely behind his
computer screen who made a nasty comment!

I posted a question asking how to prep a spaghetti squash AFTER
COOKING, But I failed to mention kind of squash! Dopey me!

I cooked my Spaghetti squash per recipe, But I didn't know what part
of it is the edible part...do I scrape out the innards and eat the
part that's closest to the skin?? is that scraped out part the
spaghetti ?...ie what part do I eat..or how do I extract it? Is it
the firm part that stays on, under the skin?

I'm clueless and I humblt come to you for help.
Many thanx!
Mikie

Thanks for your help.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 8:02*am, Mikie > wrote:
> I goofed and I'm really sorry to have wasted you're precious time; I
> apologize, even to that very brave *person hiding *safely behind his
> computer *screen who made a nasty comment!
>
> I posted a question asking how to prep a *spaghetti squash AFTER
> COOKING, But I failed to mention kind of squash! *Dopey me!
>
> I cooked my Spaghetti squash per recipe, But I didn't know what part
> of it is the edible part...do I scrape out the innards and eat the
> part that's closest to the skin?? *is that scraped out part the
> spaghetti *?...ie what part do I eat..or how do I extract it? Is it
> the firm part that stays on, under the skin?
> [snip]

When you scrape the cooked squash with a fork the flesh divides into
spaghetti-like long strands. That's the part you eat. Discard any
seeds and pulpy flesh. It's not completely surprising that you
wouldn't immediately know it because the strands are almost tasteless
and not spaghetti-like in texture. They retain a crispness that may
be the attraction of this squash to some. I think it's a joke and a
waste of time, not suited for saucing or eating as a veggie side
dish. We grew it one year -- it was a "mystery seed" from a gardening
magazine and eventually decided it was more interesting to grow than
to eat. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 May 2009 08:02:41 -0700 (PDT), Mikie > wrote:

>I posted a question asking how to prep a spaghetti squash AFTER
>COOKING, But I failed to mention kind of squash! Dopey me!
>
>I cooked my Spaghetti squash per recipe, But I didn't know what part
>of it is the edible part...do I scrape out the innards and eat the
>part that's closest to the skin?? is that scraped out part the
>spaghetti ?...ie what part do I eat..or how do I extract it? Is it
>the firm part that stays on, under the skin?
>
>I'm clueless and I humblt come to you for help.
>Many thanx!

I bake spaghetti squash and use a fork to take out the flesh. I split
it and take out the seeds before cooking. There will be some left
clinging to the shell, but not as much as you seemed to have. I still
suggest that you cook it a bit longer next time. It won't hurt the
squash. Summer squash is what you don't want to over cook, not winter
squash.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default SPAGHETTI SQUASH REC

On Fri, 22 May 2009 08:02:41 -0700 (PDT), Mikie > wrote:

>I goofed and I'm really sorry to have wasted you're precious time; I
>apologize, even to that very brave person hiding safely behind his
>computer screen who made a nasty comment!
>
>I posted a question asking how to prep a spaghetti squash AFTER
>COOKING, But I failed to mention kind of squash! Dopey me!
>
>I cooked my Spaghetti squash per recipe, But I didn't know what part
>of it is the edible part...do I scrape out the innards and eat the
>part that's closest to the skin?? is that scraped out part the
>spaghetti ?...ie what part do I eat..or how do I extract it? Is it
>the firm part that stays on, under the skin?
>
>I'm clueless and I humblt come to you for help.
>Many thanx!
>Mikie
>
>Thanks for your help.

Hey, don't go away mad, my kid the chef made this wonderful tomato
bisque for Christmas day 2005, try it...after all you've got the
squash already

* Exported from MasterCook *

TOMATO-BUTTERNUT SQUASH BISQUE

Recipe By : Dan P.
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chef , Westhaven, Soups

2 tablespoons butter or extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, with liquid
1/2 cup Italian style roasted garlic tomato paste
2 cups vegetable or organic chicken stock
2 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
Salt and ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
3 tablespoons thyme, Fresh)
1 1/2 cups non-fat half-and-half or non-fat yogurt
Several dashes of Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce

In a large saucepan, sauté onions and garlic in butter or oil over
medium-low heat until soft and golden. Add tomatoes, tomato paste,
chicken stock, butternut squash, salt, pepper, basil and thyme. Bring
to a boil, then reduce heat. Partially cover and simmer for about
30-35 minutes, or until squash is fork-tender. Puree the soup in a
blender, and then pour back into the saucepan. Stir in non-fat half
and half or yogurt, splash in the hot pepper sauce, and taste for
seasoning. Heat the soup just to a boil, then ladle into bowls.
Garnish with sliced basil leaves or minced parsley.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Was created for Christmas 2005 dinner

Per serving: (excluding salt to taste): 160 calories, 4.5 g total fat,
2.5 g saturated fat, 10 mg cholesterol, greater than 500 mg sodium, 29
g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 12 g sugar, 5 g protein.

Stu

What's the difference between Roast Beef and Pea Soup?
Anyone Can Roast Beef!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 8:38*am, wrote:
> On May 22, 8:02*am, Mikie > wrote:
>
> > I goofed and I'm really sorry to have wasted you're precious time; I
> > apologize, even to that very brave *person hiding *safely behind his
> > computer *screen who made a nasty comment!

> > I posted a question asking how to prep a *spaghetti squash AFTER
> > COOKING, But I failed to mention kind of squash! *Dopey me!

> > I cooked my Spaghetti squash per recipe, But I didn't know what part
> > of it is the edible part...do I scrape out the innards and eat the
> > part that's closest to the skin?? *is that scraped out part the
> > spaghetti *?...ie what part do I eat..or how do I extract it? Is it
> > the firm part that stays on, under the skin?
> > [snip]

> When you scrape the cooked squash with a fork the flesh divides into
> spaghetti-like long strands. *That's the part you eat. *Discard any
> seeds and pulpy flesh. *It's not completely surprising that you
> wouldn't immediately know it because the strands are almost tasteless
> and not spaghetti-like in texture. *They retain a crispness that may
> be the attraction of this squash to some. *I think it's a joke and a
> waste of time, not suited for saucing or eating as a veggie side
> dish. *We grew it one year -- it was a "mystery seed" from a gardening
> magazine and eventually decided it was more interesting to grow than
> to eat. * -aem

Clear and to the point. THANK YOU!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 8:44*am, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 22 May 2009 08:02:41 -0700 (PDT), Mikie > wrote:
> >I posted a question asking how to prep a *spaghetti squash AFTER
> >COOKING, But I failed to mention kind of squash! *Dopey me!

> >I cooked my Spaghetti squash per recipe, But I didn't know what part
> >of it is the edible part...do I scrape out the innards and eat the
> >part that's closest to the skin?? *is that scraped out part the
> >spaghetti *?...ie what part do I eat..or how do I extract it? Is it
> >the firm part that stays on, under the skin?

> >I'm clueless and I humblt come to you for help.
> >Many thanx!

> I bake spaghetti squash and use a fork to take out the flesh. *I split
> it and take out the seeds before cooking. *There will be some left
> clinging to the shell, but not as much as you seemed to have. *I still
> suggest that you cook it a bit longer next time. *It won't hurt the
> squash. *Summer squash is what you don't want to over cook, not winter
> squash.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Thanks! Sometimes I put the wine in my belly instead and I feel
better after cooking! Yeah!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 May 2009 17:46:25 -0700 (PDT), Mikie > wrote:

>On May 22, 8:44*am, sf > wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 May 2009 08:02:41 -0700 (PDT), Mikie > wrote:

<snip>
>> >I'm clueless and I humblt come to you for help.
>> >Many thanx!

>> I bake spaghetti squash and use a fork to take out the flesh. *I split
>> it and take out the seeds before cooking. *There will be some left
>> clinging to the shell, but not as much as you seemed to have. *I still
>> suggest that you cook it a bit longer next time. *It won't hurt the
>> squash. *Summer squash is what you don't want to over cook, not winter
>> squash.
>>
>> --
>> I love cooking with wine.
>> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

>Thanks! Sometimes I put the wine in my belly instead and I feel
>better after cooking! Yeah!

Whatever.

Unlike aem, I actually *like* spaghetti squash. I put butter and
parmesan or romano on it - no tomato sauce or other stuff.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in on May Fri
2009 pm

> On Fri, 22 May 2009 17:46:25 -0700 (PDT), Mikie > wrote:
>
>>On May 22, 8:44*am, sf > wrote:
>>> On Fri, 22 May 2009 08:02:41 -0700 (PDT), Mikie > wrote:

> <snip>
>>>
>>> I bake spaghetti squash and use a fork to take out the flesh. *I split
>>> it and take out the seeds before cooking. *There will be some left
>>> clinging to the shell, but not as much as you seemed to have. *I still
>>> suggest that you cook it a bit longer next time. *It won't hurt the
>>> squash. *Summer squash is what you don't want to over cook, not winter
>>> squash.
>>>
>>> --
>>> I love cooking with wine.
>>> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

>>Thanks! Sometimes I put the wine in my belly instead and I feel
>>better after cooking! Yeah!

> Whatever.
>
> Unlike aem, I actually *like* spaghetti squash. I put butter and
> parmesan or romano on it - no tomato sauce or other stuff.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Spaghetti Squash Florentine

none

4 lb spaghetti squash -- halved
1 lengthwise
1 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
10 oz package frozen chopped spinach -- thawed and drained
1/2 cup egg beaters egg substitute
1 teaspoon italian seasoning -- crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup nonfat mozzarella cheese -- shredded
1 3/4 cup hunt's light spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup part skim milk mozzarella cheese -- shredded

1. STOVETOP: In 6-quart Dutch oven over high heat, in boiling
water, cook squash 20 minutes or until fork-tender. Remove from
water. Halve squash lengthwise; remove seeds. MICROWAVE: Halve squash
lengthwise. Scrape out seeds. Place cut-side down on a
microwave-safe dish and cook for about 20 minutes on HIGH or until
fork-tender, turning over once and covering with wax paper. Cool
squash slightly and with a fork separate into strands. Set aside.

2. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, spinach, egg
beaters, and seasonings; mix well. Spread evenly in a 13x9-inch
baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread the Parmesan and nonfat
mozzarella cheeses over the spinach mixture.

3. In a large bowl, combine the squash and spaghetti sauce; toss to
coat well. Arrange squash mixture on spinach mixture; top with the
part skim milk mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil; bake at 375B0 F.
for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. makes 6 servings.

per serving: 220 Kcal 5g fat (2g sat fat) 20% CFF 628mg Na 8mg
cholesterol (17.3g PRO/5.3g FAT/30.2g CHO)

~ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

FAT: Substitute another 1/2 cup nonfat mozzarella cheese for the
part skim milk cheese. Add to the top of the dish during the last 5
minutes of cooking. Remove from oven promptly when the cheese has
melted. per serving: 208 Kcal 4g fat (2g sat fat) 15% CFF 645mg Na
5mg cholesterol (17.7g PRO/3.8g FAT/ 30.6g CHO)

SODIUM: The spaghetti sauce is providing 39% of the Na. The salt is
providing 14%. Sodium from the combined cheeses is 23% of the total.
Using all part skim milk mozzarella cheese will increase the fat per
serving by 1.5g and decrease the sodium by 17mg.

Yield: 6 servings

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 05:16:42 GMT, hahabogus >
wrote:

>sf > wrote in on May Fri
>2009 pm
>
>> Unlike aem, I actually *like* spaghetti squash. I put butter and
>> parmesan or romano on it - no tomato sauce or other stuff.

>Spaghetti Squash Florentine

<recipe snipped>

Hey, thanks! I'll try that. I'm a spinach lover too - so putting
them together can't be bad.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
news
> On Sat, 23 May 2009 05:16:42 GMT, hahabogus >
> wrote:
>
>>sf > wrote in
m on May Fri 2009 pm

>>> Unlike aem, I actually *like* spaghetti squash. I put butter and
>>> parmesan or romano on it - no tomato sauce or other stuff.

>>Spaghetti Squash Florentine
>>

> <recipe snipped>
>
> Hey, thanks! I'll try that. I'm a spinach lover too - so putting
> them together can't be bad.

I have a recipe for a southwestern version of spaghetti squash around here somewhere...involving
cumin and bell peppers among otherthings (IIRC). I'll post it if I find it. BTW your welcome.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 17:10:02 GMT, hahabogus >
wrote:

>I have a recipe for a southwestern version of spaghetti squash around here somewhere...involving
>cumin and bell peppers among otherthings (IIRC). I'll post it if I find it.

and Thanks In Advance for the recipe.

>BTW your welcome.

I like squash so much that at one point (early in my marriage) I was
serving it FIVE days a week, not even thinking about the fact that I
was just cooking different types of *squash*. I thought of them as
different vegetables, because they are so different.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Spaghetti Squash Pie Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 29 10-10-2010 02:36 PM
Spaghetti Squash Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 16 25-09-2010 10:21 AM
Spaghetti Squash Z GIRL General Cooking 26 12-10-2009 04:50 PM
Spaghetti Squash Emily[_2_] Diabetic 15 05-08-2007 03:59 AM
Spaghetti squash The Bubbo General Cooking 13 21-03-2006 06:07 AM