Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Few Words About Bacon

There is a huge difference between U.S. and British bacon.

Unless you find a rare specialty shop or know a butcher (who knows the
differences) you can only buy streaky bacon in U.S. grocery stores.

I'd better not paint myself into a corner - there is Canadian bacon,
but it's really not the same thing.

Types of bacon:

1. Back - Same cut of meat on an uncured pig's carcass would be
called loin or plain old pork chops in the U.K.. The chops are usually
cut and sold on-the-bone' (rib in this case); the back bacon sold
boneless - seems to make it easier to slice this way

2. Streaky - Cure (ie salt and/or smoke) a pork belly, and you get
Streaky Bacon.

3. Collar - Collar bone and shoulder.

4. Gammon/Gammon rashers - A side of bacon. Gammon rasher - a
thick slice cut from the gammon.

There's also a 'Middle Cut' Bacon. This is where the belly is still
attached to the loin, so that a single slice starts out at one end as
back bacon and finishes up at the other end as a long piece of
streaky.

--
mad

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://tinyurl.com/cyeknp

--
mad

On Thu, 07 May 2009 09:50:54 -0700, Mack A. Damia
> wrote:

>There is a huge difference between U.S. and British bacon.
>
>Unless you find a rare specialty shop or know a butcher (who knows the
>differences) you can only buy streaky bacon in U.S. grocery stores.
>
>I'd better not paint myself into a corner - there is Canadian bacon,
>but it's really not the same thing.
>
>Types of bacon:
>
>1. Back - Same cut of meat on an uncured pig's carcass would be
>called loin or plain old pork chops in the U.K.. The chops are usually
>cut and sold on-the-bone' (rib in this case); the back bacon sold
>boneless - seems to make it easier to slice this way
>
>2. Streaky - Cure (ie salt and/or smoke) a pork belly, and you get
>Streaky Bacon.
>
>3. Collar - Collar bone and shoulder.
>
>4. Gammon/Gammon rashers - A side of bacon. Gammon rasher - a
>thick slice cut from the gammon.
>
>There's also a 'Middle Cut' Bacon. This is where the belly is still
>attached to the loin, so that a single slice starts out at one end as
>back bacon and finishes up at the other end as a long piece of
>streaky.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mack A. Damia > wrote in
:

> 1. Back - Same cut of meat on an uncured pig's carcass would be
> called loin or plain old pork chops in the U.K.. The chops are usually
> cut and sold on-the-bone' (rib in this case); the back bacon sold
> boneless - seems to make it easier to slice this way

Back bacon and beer, eh?

Good day, eh?

Words Brooklyn1 General Cooking 3 10-01-2015 04:33 AM
REAL Canadian Bacon - Back Bacon - Peameal Bacon Online. [email protected] General Cooking 1 15-09-2007 04:41 PM
sweet words ساره دلع General Cooking 1 03-06-2007 03:46 AM
a bacon butty a bacon sarnie or The Ultimate Bacon Sandwich phillip.skinner General Cooking 38 14-08-2006 11:01 AM
Words Sheldon General Cooking 1 18-01-2006 09:09 AM