Old 07-05-2009, 05:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Low sodium sausage and bacon

I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
with my breakfast. I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
the sodium budget all to hell. Anyone know if there's such a thing as
sodium free or low sodium bacon and/or sausage (I know Oscar Meyer does a
lower sodium bacon, and it'll do in a pinch, but it's still a bit high for
common usage).

Thanks in advance for the information.

--
Tom Royer
If you're not free to fail, you're not free. -- Gene Burns

Old 07-05-2009, 06:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 9:24*am, "Tom Royer" wrote:
I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
with my breakfast. *I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
the sodium budget all to hell. *Anyone know if there's such a thing as
sodium free or low sodium bacon and/or sausage (I know Oscar Meyer does a
lower sodium bacon, and it'll do in a pinch, but it's still a bit high for
common usage).

Thanks in advance for the information.

--
Tom Royer
If you're not free to fail, you're not free. -- Gene Burns

You can make your own sausage from ground pork- that way, you can
control what you use in them
Old 07-05-2009, 06:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Tom Royer" wrote:

I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
with my breakfast. I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
the sodium budget all to hell. Anyone know if there's such a thing as
sodium free or low sodium bacon and/or sausage (I know Oscar Meyer does a
lower sodium bacon, and it'll do in a pinch, but it's still a bit high for
common usage).

It would help some of the people here if you gave us an idea of the mg
per day that is your goal. I'm on some kind of "restricted sodium"
diet, but the doctor was very careful to say that it wasn't "low
sodium". It's 2000mg a day, which is not very low at all.

The other thing about most diets, which most people don't like to hear
(me included), is that the easiest way in concept, is to reduce
quantities rather than type of food. For instance, one strip of bacon,
of whatever kind, has half the sodium, calories and saturated fat of two
strips of the same kind of bacon. Many lower sodium foods don't cut the
sodium in half.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 07-05-2009, 06:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Tom Royer" wrote:

I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
with my breakfast. I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
the sodium budget all to hell. Anyone know if there's such a thing as
sodium free or low sodium bacon and/or sausage (I know Oscar Meyer does a
lower sodium bacon, and it'll do in a pinch, but it's still a bit high for
common usage).

Thanks in advance for the information.

Boars Head tends to be lower, but it's best to simply make your OWN
sausage. It's not difficult. I personally use 1/4th of the salt called
for in most sausage recipes.

Can't help you with the bacon, but all sausage is is a mix of spices
added to ground meat.

I have 3 tried and true low salt sausage recipes so far, E-mail me if
you want them. This address works.

Alternately, google for sausage recipes and just simply cut the amount
of salt called for.

It really is that simple. :-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tom Royer" wrote:

I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
with my breakfast. *I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
the sodium budget all to hell. *Anyone know if there's such a thing as
sodium free or low sodium bacon ...

The book "NeanderThin" about paleolithic dieting suggests
soaking a slab of bacon over night to leach out the salt.
Then rinse in the morning and cook.

There's a big flavor different - The salt means to turn up the
volume on the flavor - but I figure I'd get ued to it after a
while.

So rather than trying to find low salt bacon (smoke your own?)
try methods that remove the salt.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Doug Freyburger wrote:

"Tom Royer" wrote:

I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
with my breakfast. *I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
the sodium budget all to hell. *Anyone know if there's such a thing as
sodium free or low sodium bacon ...

The book "NeanderThin" about paleolithic dieting suggests
soaking a slab of bacon over night to leach out the salt.
Then rinse in the morning and cook.

There's a big flavor different - The salt means to turn up the
volume on the flavor - but I figure I'd get ued to it after a
while.

So rather than trying to find low salt bacon (smoke your own?)
try methods that remove the salt.

I water soak green salad olives to make them less salty and it works
very well. I avoid using tap water tho'!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote
I soak green salad olives to make them less salty and it works.
I avoid using tap water tho'!

Me too... by the second 2ni you don't notice the salt. hehe

Old 07-05-2009, 11:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote
I soak green salad olives to make them less salty and it works.
I avoid using tap water tho'!

Me too... by the second 2ni you don't notice the salt. hehe

lol True. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote in news:0c21ab8d-297e-41e9-999b-
:

The book "NeanderThin" about paleolithic dieting suggests
soaking a slab of bacon over night to leach out the salt.
Then rinse in the morning and cook.

A freind of mine boils his ham before frying to leach out most of the salt.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tom Royer" wrote in message
Anyone know if there's such a thing as sodium free or low sodium bacon
and/or sausage (I know Oscar Meyer does a lower sodium bacon, and it'll do
in a pinch, but it's still a bit high for common usage).

There is a lower sodium bacon available, but any bacon will have some. You
can reduce the sodium by soaking it in water for a few minutes too.

Make your own sausage and control the salt. Commercial stuff has too much
for our tastes. You do need some salt to extract the myosin in the meat for
sausage to stick together, but I cut the typical salt quantity in half.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Royer wrote:
I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
with my breakfast. I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
the sodium budget all to hell. Anyone know if there's such a thing as
sodium free or low sodium bacon and/or sausage (I know Oscar Meyer does a
lower sodium bacon, and it'll do in a pinch, but it's still a bit high for
common usage).

Thanks in advance for the information.

About a year ago I purchased low-sodium bacon at Costco. Headed there
tomorrow and am looking to purchase more (we don't eat bacon often!).
If I can't find it, I'll let you know.
-Mickey
Old 08-05-2009, 04:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 May 2009 17:03:39 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Doug Freyburger wrote:

"Tom Royer" wrote:

I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
with my breakfast. *I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
the sodium budget all to hell. *Anyone know if there's such a thing as
sodium free or low sodium bacon ...

The book "NeanderThin" about paleolithic dieting suggests
soaking a slab of bacon over night to leach out the salt.
Then rinse in the morning and cook.

There's a big flavor different - The salt means to turn up the
volume on the flavor - but I figure I'd get ued to it after a
while.

So rather than trying to find low salt bacon (smoke your own?)
try methods that remove the salt.

I water soak green salad olives to make them less salty and it works
very well. I avoid using tap water tho'!

please tell me you're not worried about fluoridation.

your pal,
blake
Old 08-05-2009, 04:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" wrote
I water soak green salad olives to make them less salty and it works
very well. I avoid using tap water tho'!

please tell me you're not worried about fluoridation.

wahhhhhh hahahah!!!! You keeel me.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:

"Tom Royer" wrote:

[...]

No, it just tastes like crap.

The purified water from the vending machines for $.25 per gallon has a
better flavor for some applications.

I don't use it for everything babe.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" wrote in message
.. .

please tell me you're not worried about fluoridation.

your pal,
blake

you're not?
--