FoodBanter.com

-   -   Low sodium sausage and bacon (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/171906-low-sodium-sausage-bacon.html)

Tom Royer[_2_] 07-05-2009 05:24 PM

Low sodium sausage and bacon

I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
with my breakfast. I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
the sodium budget all to hell. Anyone know if there's such a thing as
sodium free or low sodium bacon and/or sausage (I know Oscar Meyer does a
lower sodium bacon, and it'll do in a pinch, but it's still a bit high for
common usage).

Thanks in advance for the information.

--
Tom Royer
If you're not free to fail, you're not free. -- Gene Burns

merryb 07-05-2009 06:02 PM

On May 7, 9:24*am, "Tom Royer" > wrote:
> I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
> with my breakfast. *I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
> Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
> the sodium budget all to hell. *Anyone know if there's such a thing as
> sodium free or low sodium bacon and/or sausage (I know Oscar Meyer does a
> lower sodium bacon, and it'll do in a pinch, but it's still a bit high for
> common usage).
>
> Thanks in advance for the information.
>
> --
> Tom Royer
> If you're not free to fail, you're not free. -- Gene Burns

You can make your own sausage from ground pork- that way, you can
control what you use in them

Dan Abel 07-05-2009 06:09 PM

Low sodium sausage and bacon

In article >,
"Tom Royer" > wrote:

> I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
> with my breakfast. I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
> Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
> the sodium budget all to hell. Anyone know if there's such a thing as
> sodium free or low sodium bacon and/or sausage (I know Oscar Meyer does a
> lower sodium bacon, and it'll do in a pinch, but it's still a bit high for
> common usage).

It would help some of the people here if you gave us an idea of the mg
per day that is your goal. I'm on some kind of "restricted sodium"
diet, but the doctor was very careful to say that it wasn't "low
sodium". It's 2000mg a day, which is not very low at all.

The other thing about most diets, which most people don't like to hear
(me included), is that the easiest way in concept, is to reduce
quantities rather than type of food. For instance, one strip of bacon,
of whatever kind, has half the sodium, calories and saturated fat of two
strips of the same kind of bacon. Many lower sodium foods don't cut the
sodium in half.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Omelet[_7_] 07-05-2009 06:25 PM

"Tom Royer" > wrote:

> I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
> with my breakfast. I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
> Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
> the sodium budget all to hell. Anyone know if there's such a thing as
> sodium free or low sodium bacon and/or sausage (I know Oscar Meyer does a
> lower sodium bacon, and it'll do in a pinch, but it's still a bit high for
> common usage).
>
> Thanks in advance for the information.

Boars Head tends to be lower, but it's best to simply make your OWN
sausage. It's not difficult. I personally use 1/4th of the salt called
for in most sausage recipes.

Can't help you with the bacon, but all sausage is is a mix of spices
added to ground meat.

I have 3 tried and true low salt sausage recipes so far, E-mail me if
you want them. This address works.

Alternately, google for sausage recipes and just simply cut the amount
of salt called for.

It really is that simple. :-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Doug Freyburger 07-05-2009 08:23 PM

"Tom Royer" > wrote:

> I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
> with my breakfast. *I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
> Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
> the sodium budget all to hell. *Anyone know if there's such a thing as
> sodium free or low sodium bacon ...

The book "NeanderThin" about paleolithic dieting suggests
soaking a slab of bacon over night to leach out the salt.
Then rinse in the morning and cook.

There's a big flavor different - The salt means to turn up the
volume on the flavor - but I figure I'd get ued to it after a
while.

So rather than trying to find low salt bacon (smoke your own?)
try methods that remove the salt.

Omelet[_7_] 07-05-2009 11:03 PM

Low sodium sausage and bacon

In article
Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> "Tom Royer" > wrote:
> >
> > I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
> > with my breakfast. *I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
> > Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
> > the sodium budget all to hell. *Anyone know if there's such a thing as
> > sodium free or low sodium bacon ...

> The book "NeanderThin" about paleolithic dieting suggests
> soaking a slab of bacon over night to leach out the salt.
> Then rinse in the morning and cook.
>
> There's a big flavor different - The salt means to turn up the
> volume on the flavor - but I figure I'd get ued to it after a
> while.
>
> So rather than trying to find low salt bacon (smoke your own?)
> try methods that remove the salt.

I water soak green salad olives to make them less salty and it works
very well. I avoid using tap water tho'!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

brooklyn1 07-05-2009 11:15 PM

Low sodium sausage and bacon

"Omelet" > wrote>
> I soak green salad olives to make them less salty and it works.
> I avoid using tap water tho'!

Me too... by the second 2ni you don't notice the salt. hehe

Omelet[_7_] 07-05-2009 11:23 PM

"brooklyn1" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote>
> > I soak green salad olives to make them less salty and it works.
> > I avoid using tap water tho'!

> Me too... by the second 2ni you don't notice the salt. hehe

<lol> True. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

elaich 08-05-2009 02:43 AM

Low sodium sausage and bacon

Doug Freyburger > wrote in news:0c21ab8d-297e-41e9-999b-
:

> The book "NeanderThin" about paleolithic dieting suggests
> soaking a slab of bacon over night to leach out the salt.
> Then rinse in the morning and cook.

A freind of mine boils his ham before frying to leach out most of the salt.

Ed Pawlowski 08-05-2009 03:44 AM

"Tom Royer" > wrote in message
> Anyone know if there's such a thing as sodium free or low sodium bacon
> and/or sausage (I know Oscar Meyer does a lower sodium bacon, and it'll do
> in a pinch, but it's still a bit high for common usage).

There is a lower sodium bacon available, but any bacon will have some. You
can reduce the sodium by soaking it in water for a few minutes too.

Make your own sausage and control the salt. Commercial stuff has too much
for our tastes. You do need some salt to extract the myosin in the meat for
sausage to stick together, but I cut the typical salt quantity in half.

Mickey Zalusky 08-05-2009 05:10 AM

Tom Royer wrote:
> I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
> with my breakfast. I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
> Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
> the sodium budget all to hell. Anyone know if there's such a thing as
> sodium free or low sodium bacon and/or sausage (I know Oscar Meyer does a
> lower sodium bacon, and it'll do in a pinch, but it's still a bit high for
> common usage).
>
> Thanks in advance for the information.

About a year ago I purchased low-sodium bacon at Costco. Headed there
tomorrow and am looking to purchase more (we don't eat bacon often!).
If I can't find it, I'll let you know.
-Mickey

blake murphy[_2_] 08-05-2009 04:04 PM

On Thu, 07 May 2009 17:03:39 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> "Tom Royer" > wrote:
>>>
>>> I've just been put on a fairly strict low sodium diet and it plays havoc
>>> with my breakfast. *I like bacon and/or sausage (who doesn't?) with my eggs.
>>> Unfortunately, processed meats, bacon and sausage particularly, just blow
>>> the sodium budget all to hell. *Anyone know if there's such a thing as
>>> sodium free or low sodium bacon ...

>> The book "NeanderThin" about paleolithic dieting suggests
>> soaking a slab of bacon over night to leach out the salt.
>> Then rinse in the morning and cook.
>>
>> There's a big flavor different - The salt means to turn up the
>> volume on the flavor - but I figure I'd get ued to it after a
>> while.
>>
>> So rather than trying to find low salt bacon (smoke your own?)
>> try methods that remove the salt.

> I water soak green salad olives to make them less salty and it works
> very well. I avoid using tap water tho'!

please tell me you're not worried about fluoridation.

your pal,
blake

cybercat 08-05-2009 04:48 PM

Low sodium sausage and bacon

"blake murphy" > wrote
>> I water soak green salad olives to make them less salty and it works
>> very well. I avoid using tap water tho'!

> please tell me you're not worried about fluoridation.

wahhhhhh hahahah!!!! You keeel me.

Omelet[_7_] 08-05-2009 06:45 PM

blake murphy > wrote:

> On Thu, 07 May 2009 17:03:39 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> >> The book "NeanderThin" about paleolithic dieting suggests
> >> soaking a slab of bacon over night to leach out the salt.
> >> Then rinse in the morning and cook.
> >>
> >> There's a big flavor different - The salt means to turn up the
> >> volume on the flavor - but I figure I'd get ued to it after a
> >> while.
> >>
> >> So rather than trying to find low salt bacon (smoke your own?)
> >> try methods that remove the salt.

> > I water soak green salad olives to make them less salty and it works
> > very well. I avoid using tap water tho'!

> please tell me you're not worried about fluoridation.
>
> your pal,
> blake

No, it just tastes like crap.

The purified water from the vending machines for $.25 per gallon has a
better flavor for some applications.

I don't use it for everything babe.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

C.D[_4_] 09-05-2009 02:16 AM

Low sodium sausage and bacon

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .

> please tell me you're not worried about fluoridation.
>
> your pal,
> blake

you're not?
--
C.D

blake murphy[_2_] 09-05-2009 05:36 PM

On Fri, 8 May 2009 21:16:54 -0400, C.D wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>> please tell me you're not worried about fluoridation.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> you're not?

**** no.

what are you doing out? you're supposed to be heavily armed in the
basement, waiting for obama's jackbooted thugs.

blake

blake murphy[_2_] 09-05-2009 05:40 PM

On Fri, 08 May 2009 12:45:54 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 07 May 2009 17:03:39 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> In article

>>> I water soak green salad olives to make them less salty and it works
>>> very well. I avoid using tap water tho'!

>> please tell me you're not worried about fluoridation.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> No, it just tastes like crap.
>
> The purified water from the vending machines for $.25 per gallon has a
> better flavor for some applications.
>
> I don't use it for everything babe.

thankfully, out tap water is pretty good. not that i drink the stuff,
other than to swallow vitamins with.

your pal,
blake

C.D[_4_] 09-05-2009 05:43 PM

Low sodium sausage and bacon

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 May 2009 21:16:54 -0400, C.D wrote:
>
>> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>
>>> please tell me you're not worried about fluoridation.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> you're not?

> **** no.
>
> what are you doing out? you're supposed to be heavily armed in the
> basement, waiting for obama's jackbooted thugs.
>
> blake

I'm up for a breather.
--
C.D

cybercat 09-05-2009 06:27 PM

Low sodium sausage and bacon

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 May 2009 21:16:54 -0400, C.D wrote:
>
>> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>
>>> please tell me you're not worried about fluoridation.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> you're not?

> **** no.
>
> what are you doing out? you're supposed to be heavily armed in the
> basement, waiting for obama's jackbooted thugs.

I hope they at least redecorated that basement. They have a long wait.

blake murphy[_2_] 10-05-2009 04:14 PM

On Sat, 9 May 2009 12:43:12 -0400, C.D wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 8 May 2009 21:16:54 -0400, C.D wrote:
>>
>>> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>>> .. .

>>> you're not?

>> **** no.
>>
>> what are you doing out? you're supposed to be heavily armed in the
>> basement, waiting for obama's jackbooted thugs.
>>
>> blake
>>

> I'm up for a breather.

what!!!! the price of freedom is eternal vigilantes, er, vigilance!!!

blake

blake murphy[_2_] 10-05-2009 04:16 PM

On Sat, 9 May 2009 13:27:33 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 8 May 2009 21:16:54 -0400, C.D wrote:
>>
>>> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>>> .. .

>>> you're not?

>> **** no.
>>
>> what are you doing out? you're supposed to be heavily armed in the
>> basement, waiting for obama's jackbooted thugs.
>>

> I hope they at least redecorated that basement. They have a long wait.

the base, er, basement is well-stocked with cheetos and diet mountain dew.

your pal,
blake

Dan Abel 10-05-2009 07:19 PM

Low sodium sausage and bacon

In article . com>,
"C.D" > wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message

> > what are you doing out? you're supposed to be heavily armed in the
> > basement, waiting for obama's jackbooted thugs.

> I'm up for a breather.

You *do* understand that the air that Obama has allowed out will kill
you in seconds?

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

C.D[_4_] 11-05-2009 02:43 AM

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message

> You *do* understand that the air that Obama has allowed out will kill
> you in seconds?
>
> :-)
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

no it wont. it's gonna make us all dependent.

--
C.D

blake murphy[_2_] 11-05-2009 02:32 PM

On Sun, 10 May 2009 21:43:45 -0400, C.D wrote:

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
>
>> You *do* understand that the air that Obama has allowed out will kill
>> you in seconds?
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> --
>> Dan Abel
>> Petaluma, California USA
>>

> no it wont. it's gonna make us all dependent.

speaking of which, have you stocked up on Depends®? i have the feeling
you'll be needing some.

blake

C.D[_4_] 11-05-2009 04:29 PM

Low sodium sausage and bacon

"blake murphy" > wrote in message

>> no it wont. it's gonna make us all dependent.

> speaking of which, have you stocked up on Depends®? i have the feeling
> you'll be needing some.
>
> blake

bubba...if you only knew.

--
C.D

blake murphy[_2_] 12-05-2009 05:31 PM

On Mon, 11 May 2009 11:29:49 -0400, C.D wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> no it wont. it's gonna make us all dependent.

>> speaking of which, have you stocked up on Depends®? i have the feeling
>> you'll be needing some.
>>
>> blake
>>

> bubba...if you only knew.

frankly, i'd rather not. i'll wait for the arrest reports.

blake

Bobo Bonobo® 12-05-2009 05:57 PM

On May 8, 8:16*pm, "C.D" > wrote:
> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>
> .. .
>
> > please tell me you're not worried about fluoridation.

> > your pal,
> > blake

> you're not?

Those of us who have had the Obama Happy Chip implanted in our
foreheads do not worry. We be happy.

> --
> C.D

--Bryan