Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best knives?

Hi guys and gals,

My kitchen knives are getting old and I was thinking of replacing them
soon. I'm not bothered about sets but I would like a good all-rounder.
Do you have any favourite brands, and why? Not worried about prices.

Thanks!
Michelle
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michelle wrote:

> My kitchen knives are getting old and I was thinking of replacing them
> soon. I'm not bothered about sets but I would like a good all-rounder.
> Do you have any favourite brands, and why? Not worried about prices.

I just got a great chef's knife made by Victorinox. It wasn't all that
expensive, either. The handle is made of a textured plastic which doesn't
slip and which fits my hand well. The blade can take an extremely-sharp
edge. I like the weight of it too.

http://www.amazon.com/Forschner-Vict...9876822&sr=8-4

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8lqc6

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Michelle wrote:
>
>> My kitchen knives are getting old and I was thinking of replacing them
>> soon. I'm not bothered about sets but I would like a good all-rounder.
>> Do you have any favourite brands, and why? Not worried about prices.

> I just got a great chef's knife made by Victorinox. It wasn't all that
> expensive, either. The handle is made of a textured plastic which doesn't
> slip and which fits my hand well. The blade can take an extremely-sharp
> edge. I like the weight of it too.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Forschner-Vict...9876822&sr=8-4
>
> or http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8lqc6
>
> Bob

I am extremely partial to Forscshner knives, too. They just seem to fit
my hand and their "heft" is perfect for me. That said, I think each cook
needs to feel a knife to make sure it fits their hand and is comfortable
for their personal use. There are some great knives out there that I
won't use because they aren't comfortable. I have small hands.

BTW, I usually purchase my Forschner knives at Cutlery and More

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/

I have never had a problem with them and they usually throw some neat
freebee in with my order.

I have my eye on the Fibrox 12" slicer which was rated the best by ATK

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder said...

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Michelle wrote:
>>
>>> My kitchen knives are getting old and I was thinking of replacing them
>>> soon. I'm not bothered about sets but I would like a good all-rounder.
>>> Do you have any favourite brands, and why? Not worried about prices.

>> I just got a great chef's knife made by Victorinox. It wasn't all that
>> expensive, either. The handle is made of a textured plastic which
>> doesn't slip and which fits my hand well. The blade can take an
>> extremely-sharp edge. I like the weight of it too.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Forschner-Vict...Handle/dp/B000
>> 0CF8YO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1239876822&sr=8-4
>>
>> or http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8lqc6
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I am extremely partial to Forscshner knives, too. They just seem to fit
> my hand and their "heft" is perfect for me. That said, I think each cook
> needs to feel a knife to make sure it fits their hand and is comfortable
> for their personal use. There are some great knives out there that I
> won't use because they aren't comfortable. I have small hands.
>
> BTW, I usually purchase my Forschner knives at Cutlery and More
>
> http://www.cutleryandmore.com/
>
> I have never had a problem with them and they usually throw some neat
> freebee in with my order.
>
> I have my eye on the Fibrox 12" slicer which was rated the best by ATK

I'm no expert about knives but after watching Ming Sai (TV chef) using the
ceramic knives, I kinda/sorta bent over backwards and bought one.

It is very lightweight and can handle most food prep stuff like a warm
knife through butter.

I need to find a better carving knife.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 5:40*am, wrote:
> Hi guys and gals,
>
> My kitchen knives are getting old and I was thinking of replacing them
> soon. I'm not bothered about sets but I would like a good all-rounder.
> Do you have any favourite brands, and why? Not worried about prices.
>
> Thanks!
> Michelle

I like my Wustofs.

Just make sure the steel goes throughout the handle and that's it's a
good weight & "feel" for your hand.

And just don't buy any Cutco knives.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have that same knife and absolutely love it--for the same reasons.
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Michelle wrote:
>
>> My kitchen knives are getting old and I was thinking of replacing them
>> soon. I'm not bothered about sets but I would like a good all-rounder.
>> Do you have any favourite brands, and why? Not worried about prices.

> I just got a great chef's knife made by Victorinox. It wasn't all that
> expensive, either. The handle is made of a textured plastic which doesn't
> slip and which fits my hand well. The blade can take an extremely-sharp
> edge. I like the weight of it too.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Forschner-Vict...9876822&sr=8-4
>
> or http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8lqc6
>
> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote in message
On Apr 16, 5:40 am, wrote:
> Hi guys and gals,
>
> My kitchen knives are getting old and I was thinking of replacing them
> soon. I'm not bothered about sets but I would like a good all-rounder.
> Do you have any favourite brands, and why? Not worried about prices.
>
> Thanks!
> Michelle

I like my Wustofs.

Just make sure the steel goes throughout the handle and that's it's a
good weight & "feel" for your hand.

And just don't buy any Cutco knives.

Kris

I'm Partial to my Henkel's chef knife and a Santoku (sp?).

However, before I could afford a nice set of knives, I had a Cutco 10"
chef's knife IO picked up at a yard sale that was pretty nice to use. My
daughter still has it and uses it a lot. Still very sharp.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 1:16*pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> However, before I could afford a nice set of knives, I had a Cutco 10"
> chef's knife IO picked up at a yard sale that was pretty nice to use. My
> daughter still has it and uses it a lot. Still very sharp.

I'm trying to get used to my Cutco knives that I won on auction. So
far, I like them! The serrated edge is hard to get used to...

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Michelle wrote:
>
>> My kitchen knives are getting old and I was thinking of replacing them
>> soon. I'm not bothered about sets but I would like a good all-rounder.
>> Do you have any favourite brands, and why? Not worried about prices.

> I just got a great chef's knife made by Victorinox. It wasn't all that
> expensive, either. The handle is made of a textured plastic which doesn't
> slip and which fits my hand well. The blade can take an extremely-sharp
> edge. I like the weight of it too.

The Forschner/Victorinox knives are consistently among the very highest
rated by Cook's Illustrated. Every review I've read has them dominating the
best value category.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Curt Nelson wrote:

> The Forschner/Victorinox knives are consistently among the very highest
> rated by Cook's Illustrated. Every review I've read has them dominating the
> best value category.

We also got a santoku knife and I used that this evening. I really liked
it. It's somewhat light, and the blade is thin compare to our other
santokus -- but the grip felt good in my hand and it was extremely sharp.

I think I might like to have one of the birds beak paring knives, too.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:

>> The Forschner/Victorinox knives are consistently among the very highest
>> rated by Cook's Illustrated. Every review I've read has them dominating
>> the best value category.

> We also got a santoku knife and I used that this evening. I really liked
> it. It's somewhat light, and the blade is thin compare to our other
> santokus -- but the grip felt good in my hand and it was extremely sharp.
>
> I think I might like to have one of the birds beak paring knives, too.

The santoku knife has a granton blade, which helps to keep food from
sticking to it while you're chopping. It works great.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

We went to a Hibachi Japanese place tonight with the DD and grandgirls.
The chef that was doing the veggies was slicing with something familiar.
Then I realized that it looked exactly like my Forschner boning knife. I
asked him if it was and he affirmed.

While I don't think I'd slice veggies with mine, I do use it for boning
and it's a super knife.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 07:32:34 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>It isn't always easy to go the store and experiement, though. If
>you've friends who cook, try to practice with a few different ones and
>see what feels good to you, then stick to the name brands that provide
>warranty.

Money is no object and someone who says that should already know what
heft and blade length is most comfortable.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 20:37:16 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 07:32:34 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>It isn't always easy to go the store and experiement, though. If
>>you've friends who cook, try to practice with a few different ones and
>>see what feels good to you, then stick to the name brands that provide
>>warranty.

>Money is no object and someone who says that should already know what
>heft and blade length is most comfortable.

It isn't a matter of knowing one's own preferences, as that would be
pretty obvious, but it is a matter of trying out the knives available
to find one that *matches* those preferences.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 01:47:38 -0500, zxcvbob >

>> Hi guys and gals,
>>
>> My kitchen knives are getting old and I was thinking of replacing them
>> soon. I'm not bothered about sets but I would like a good all-rounder.
>> Do you have any favourite brands, and why? Not worried about prices.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Michelle

>You can't afford "best" knives, no offense. Some very good knives to
>look for a Forschner, Victorinox, F. Dick, and (a step down but
>still very good) Russell Dexter "SaniSafe". Look for them at a
>restaurant supply or butcher supply store. The Forschner, Victorinox,
>and SaniSafe knives are very good stamped steel knives. If I recall
>correctly, F. Dick is one of the best value forged knives.
>
>I've also bought a few Brazilian knives at Sam's Club (they used to have
>a big long name that starts with a 'T', but Sam's recently rebranded
>them with their own private label) and been quite impressed with them.
>
>HTH, :-)
>
>Bob

Tramontina.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michelle wrote:

> My kitchen knives are getting old and I was thinking of replacing them
> soon.

How old, are they bent, twisted, chipped... age is never a reason to replace
knives... in fact the longer you've had them the more reason not to replace
knives. You indicate no legitimate reason for replacement, you don't
indicate for what purpose you use your knives, nor do you disclose what
brand(s) of knives you currently have, nor have you even returned to the
discussion... you are simply trolling... giving the moroons an opportunity
to one upmanship each other about cutlery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 4:59*pm, Karen > wrote:
> On Apr 16, 1:16*pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
>
> > However, before I could afford a nice set of knives, I had a Cutco 10"
> > chef's knife IO picked up at a yard sale that was pretty nice to use. My
> > daughter still has it and uses it a lot. Still very sharp.

> I'm trying to get used to my Cutco knives that I won on auction. So
> far, I like them! The serrated edge is hard to get used to...
>
> Karen

Well, they probably are OK knives (although you're right about the
serrated edges). They do have the metal all the way through the
handle, IIRC.

I guess I'm thinking about how people in college were suckered into
selling them as a job. They were really expensive and it always
struck me as an odd job for college kids - almost like a scam. I
guess I can'tshake that image whenever I think of them.

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lin > wrote:

> We also got a santoku knife and I used that this evening. I really liked
> it. It's somewhat light, and the blade is thin compare to our other
> santokus -- but the grip felt good in my hand and it was extremely sharp.
>
> I think I might like to have one of the birds beak paring knives, too.
>
> --Lin

Lin, I have about four RADA knives. They are embarrassingly inexpensive
and do a very fine job in my kitchen. I buy them at the Minnesota State
Fair. They are made in the USA and have brushed aluminum handles. The
"granny paring knife" is their birds beak knife and I use it daily ‹
several times a day. They might be too light to suit some but I love
them. I touch them up with my steel.

http://www.radamfg.com/
(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this company other than being a
satisfied customer.)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Lin > wrote:
>
>> We also got a santoku knife and I used that this evening. I really liked
>> it. It's somewhat light, and the blade is thin compare to our other
>> santokus -- but the grip felt good in my hand and it was extremely sharp.
>>
>> I think I might like to have one of the birds beak paring knives, too.
>>
>> --Lin

> Lin, I have about four RADA knives. They are embarrassingly inexpensive
> and do a very fine job in my kitchen. I buy them at the Minnesota State
> Fair. They are made in the USA and have brushed aluminum handles. The
> "granny paring knife" is their birds beak knife and I use it daily ‹
> several times a day. They might be too light to suit some but I love
> them. I touch them up with my steel.
>
> http://www.radamfg.com/
> (Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this company other than being a
> satisfied customer.)

I've got three or four of that brand that I inherited from a first
cousin. The blades are getting rather thin from sharpening over the ten
plus years and who knows how many years my cousin had them. I have
retired them to the potting shed where they still do yeoman service.

Thanks for the URL, I may order some new ones now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>> http://www.radamfg.com/
>> (Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this company other than being
>> a satisfied customer.)

> I've got three or four of that brand that I inherited from a first
> cousin. The blades are getting rather thin from sharpening over the ten
> plus years and who knows how many years my cousin had them. I have
> retired them to the potting shed where they still do yeoman service.
>
> Thanks for the URL, I may order some new ones now.

I don't know if it was the same brand, but I was given one that looked
just like them years ago from my brother. But the blade seemed
excessively thin and floppy so I disliked it. I gave it away to a Thrift
Shop. I hope someone found some merit in that knife where I couldn't.
I like and mostly stick with my assorted Henkels knives.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> My kitchen knives are getting old and I was thinking of replacing them
> soon. I'm not bothered about sets but I would like a good all-rounder.
> Do you have any favourite brands, and why? Not worried about prices.

Not worried about prices? If you're worried about prices
I suggest getting a set one year, then each subsequent
yeat seeing which of the set shows the most wear and
getting the best possible single knife of that type. Brands
are for sets to me.

To get the best knife of a type I like to go to a place that
has several brands. Try the heft of several variations of
size, handle shape, blade shape, material. Get the one
blade of that type you like best and ignore what brand it
is.

Andy mentioned ceramic. Years ago I bought a couple of
Boker. They eventually cracked but they took considerable
abuse before then. My wife recently bought a trio of Kyocera
so we have them again.

Zeppo mentioned Cutco. I really like their steak knives and
will eventually get one. I think every kitchen needs at least
one serrated blade and they are the best in the serrated
field. Ignore their claims that they aren't actually serrated;
for most purposes adges are straight or serrated and that's
that. Their ergonomic handles have the standard ergonomic
issue that they are tuned to the "average human hand" so if
you are large or small it will feel wrong. Ignore any inclination
that simply because it's different from your other handles that
it's wrong, though. I have a Cutco hunting knife and a fish
fillet knife. My ex got the rest in the divorce. I bet they are
still like new two decades after purchase.

On old blades - I inheritted a great-grandfather's blade hand
made by a blacksmith a century ago. It had worn down most
of the metal. Blades do to get too old. It just takes a long
time.

On getting a chef's knife or equivalent. They come in all
sorts of shapes and sizes. This is where trying many
brands help. It turns out I dislike the ones that are close
to triangular so I have some that have well rounded blades.
I also have a santuko that's now my favorite.

On material - Ceramic is sapphire hard but you have to ship
them to sharpen them. Titanium is very cool but also very
hard to sharpen. Stainless and carbon steels range from
very hard to hold edge but be hard to sharpen through soft
to have a sharp but short lived edge that is easy to sharpen.
It's a matter of taste - Try both and see how you react then
get more of that type in other styles in other years.

With knives as with cookware I like to have different materials
for different items. I have cast iron skillet, stainless clad
aluminum core saucepans, all stainless stockpot and so on.
I have ceramic, hard stainless, soft carbon, cheap serrated
knives.

On price not a worry - Hand made special order knives from
individual craftsmen are available on-line or at hunting shows.
A hand made blade of folded steel will beat any brand you
will ever find in any store. Modern bladesmiths will turn out
knives that beat the ones I inherited from my great-grandfather
by a mile. We're talking a level of quality that is amazing and
a price to match. Hand made can't be matched by a brand.

On cheap knives - I say have some and go through them and
get replacements. Cheap paring knives are easily found so
there is no stress losing one. If you take a tv/ginzu knife to
a pot luck and it gets lost there just isn't the same stress as
if you take an F Dick or Henckels or even a folded steel hand
made knive and it gets lost.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> I don't know if it was the same brand, but I was given one that looked
> just like them years ago from my brother. But the blade seemed excessively
> thin and floppy so I disliked it.

Thin and floppy blades are sometimes an advantage, e.g., for boning a
chicken or filleting a fish.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 02:40:56 -0700 (PDT),
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Hi guys and gals,
>
>My kitchen knives are getting old and I was thinking of replacing them
>soon. I'm not bothered about sets but I would like a good all-rounder.
>Do you have any favourite brands, and why? Not worried about prices.
>
>Thanks!
>Michelle

Sabatier all the way ...

http://www.fantes.com/carbon.html

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:59:49 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 01:47:38 -0500, zxcvbob >
>> wrote:

>>> You can't afford "best" knives, no offense. Some very good knives to
>>> look for a Forschner, Victorinox, F. Dick, and (a step down but
>>> still very good) Russell Dexter "SaniSafe". Look for them at a
>>> restaurant supply or butcher supply store. The Forschner, Victorinox,
>>> and SaniSafe knives are very good stamped steel knives. If I recall
>>> correctly, F. Dick is one of the best value forged knives.
>>>
>>> I've also bought a few Brazilian knives at Sam's Club (they used to have
>>> a big long name that starts with a 'T', but Sam's recently rebranded
>>> them with their own private label) and been quite impressed with them.
>>>
>>> HTH, :-)
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Tramontina.
>>
>> Boron

>That's the one. Sam's sells them now as "Cooks and Chefs". I bought a
>pair of their Santokus (that's how Sams packages them; one for me and
>one for DD) and they came razor sharp and seldom even needs steeling. I
>use mine all the time.
>
>Bob

My kitchen is a knife magnet. I have a bunch of Wustofs, another
passel o' Forschners, a set of Tramontinas (they are easily sharpened
and hold an edge really well and were dirt cheap), some Globals (meh),
a few Sabatiers, a Shun or two, and some MACs, the latter of which are
well over 40 years old. There are a few other brands in there, too.

And yes, they get used. I have favorites for each task and The Hub has
his favorites, too. That is why we have so many knives - his faves are
generally bigger and heavier than mine are.

And don't get me started on all the pocket knives. I love those, too.
OH, and the garden and pruning knives! WOW!

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Lin > wrote:
>
>> We also got a santoku knife and I used that this evening. I really liked
>> it. It's somewhat light, and the blade is thin compare to our other
>> santokus -- but the grip felt good in my hand and it was extremely sharp.
>>
>> I think I might like to have one of the birds beak paring knives, too.
>>
>> --Lin

> Lin, I have about four RADA knives. They are embarrassingly inexpensive
> and do a very fine job in my kitchen. I buy them at the Minnesota State
> Fair. They are made in the USA and have brushed aluminum handles. The
> "granny paring knife" is their birds beak knife and I use it daily ‹
> several times a day. They might be too light to suit some but I love
> them. I touch them up with my steel.

I'm one of those folks who finds the Rada knives too light.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 06:49:28 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>It isn't a matter of knowing one's own preferences, as that would be
>pretty obvious, but it is a matter of trying out the knives available
>to find one that *matches* those preferences.

Most people can only lift knives in the store. They don't get a
chance to use them before buying. Me included.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:46:40 -0700 (PDT), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

>If you take a tv/ginzu knife to
>a pot luck and it gets lost there just isn't the same stress as
>if you take an F Dick or Henckels or even a folded steel hand
>made knive and it gets lost.

I'll second that! Hubby brought a Henckels paring knife to a group
picnic and it went home with someone else. I'm more upset about him
taking it in the first place (and having a "so what" attitude about
it) than I am about the knife finding another home.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 19:25:41 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Oh, I love my Sabatier knives. I don't remember where I first heard
>about them, but I got my first ones way back in the early to mid 70s.
>I think I got them in the Washington, DC area.

TV cooking shows, of course.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > wrote in message
>> Hi guys and gals,
>>
>> My kitchen knives are getting old and I was thinking of replacing them
>> soon. I'm not bothered about sets but I would like a good all-rounder.
>> Do you have any favourite brands, and why? Not worried about prices.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Michelle

since no one else has, i'll put in a word for kiwi knives:

<http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/kiknfrth.html>

you can generally find them in asian markets. very sharp and very cheap
(less then ten and maybe less than six bucks), so if you don't like it, no
great loss. i find i use them for certain tasks (like dicing onions)
before my expensive chef's knife.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 22:55:47 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> Lin, I have about four RADA knives. They are embarrassingly inexpensive
>> and do a very fine job in my kitchen. I buy them at the Minnesota State
>> Fair. They are made in the USA and have brushed aluminum handles. The
>> "granny paring knife" is their birds beak knife and I use it daily ‹
>> several times a day. They might be too light to suit some but I love
>> them. I touch them up with my steel.
>>

>I'm one of those folks who finds the Rada knives too light.

Well, the price is certainly right! I should get some to stock the
picnic basket - if for no other reason.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:10:55 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Not in that day and age. Julia was about the only one on..on PBS. She
>was doing her Julia and Company series. I was just starting to get
>into collecting cookbooks...and read Madeline Kamman, among others.
>She talked about her Sabatier knife....

I know I was watching Julia in the mid '60s and The Galloping Gourmet,
Graham Kerr in the late 60s. I got my knife and pots & pans
information from their shows on TV back in those days, not from
cookbooks.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 02:40:56 -0700 (PDT),
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Hi guys and gals,
>
>My kitchen knives are getting old and I was thinking of replacing them
>soon. I'm not bothered about sets but I would like a good all-rounder.
>Do you have any favourite brands, and why? Not worried about prices.
>
>Thanks!
>Michelle

Sabatier all the way ...

http://www.fantes.com/carbon.html

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:59:32 GMT, "brooklyn1"
> wrote:

>Michelle wrote:
>>
>> My kitchen knives are getting old and I was thinking of replacing them
>> soon.

>How old, are they bent, twisted, chipped... age is never a reason to replace
>knives... in fact the longer you've had them the more reason not to replace
>knives. You indicate no legitimate reason for replacement, you don't
>indicate for what purpose you use your knives, nor do you disclose what
>brand(s) of knives you currently have, nor have you even returned to the
>discussion... you are simply trolling... giving the moroons an opportunity
>to one upmanship each other about cutlery.

You make an interesting point about the longevity of kitchen tools,
but that hardly compensates for the lack of value of the remainder of
your post.

I for one have enjoyed reading the more positive comments made by the
aforementioned "moroons".

Oops, now *I* am the one feeding the troll. Better move off
brooklyn's bridge before he/she bites me too :-)

Now where were we ... ?

--N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sorry for only getting back to you all now.

Thanks for all your input which I found most informative. My knives
have broken tips and are simply getting long in the tooth and frankly
since I do so much cooking, I deserve better. In a sense I was
deliberately vague about what I wanted because I expected one brand
name to be THE best, but I guess it's not the case. I'm not bothered
with steak and carving knives. Most of my work in the kitchen is
chopping veg and cutting meat.

brooklyn1 & Neil: Please don't start throwing knives at each
other. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Sorry for only getting back to you all now.
>
> Thanks for all your input which I found most informative. My knives
> have broken tips and are simply getting long in the tooth and frankly
> since I do so much cooking, I deserve better. In a sense I was
> deliberately vague about what I wanted because I expected one brand
> name to be THE best, but I guess it's not the case. I'm not bothered
> with steak and carving knives. Most of my work in the kitchen is
> chopping veg and cutting meat.
>
> brooklyn1 & Neil: Please don't start throwing knives at each
> other. :-)

We don't have knives in Brooklyn, we have shivs, switchblades.

MAC Knives Bob (this one) General Cooking 5 07-09-2006 12:38 PM
Mac knives modom General Cooking 31 28-05-2006 04:54 PM
Best set of knives? [email protected] General Cooking 11 29-12-2005 01:57 AM
New Knives - What will they think of next? wff_ng_6 Cooking Equipment 6 12-10-2005 03:50 AM
Knives A. L. Shaw Cooking Equipment 17 08-01-2005 07:03 AM