Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best set of knives?

I hear people talking about Henckels, but what other brands are good?
Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ms. tonya

My choice- made in france
http://www.worldknives.com/wklaguiole.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jacqui{JB}

"ms. tonya" > wrote in message

> My choice- made in france
> http://www.worldknives.com/wklaguiole.html

Oh, I'm *so* jonesin' for a set of their steak knives. Don't need them, but
they sure make me drooooooooooollllllllllll.

For the OP, my regular kitchen knives are Henkels. I like them a lot; they
hold a decent edge and put up with a moderate amount of use/abuse.
-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Eye Indo

FWIW:
If you are looking for a decent set of knifes, watch out for cheapy Japanese
or Chinese copies.
There are good ones and bad ones.

Important is that you try holding each knife in your hands and get the
"feel" of it.
Imitate chopping and see if your fingers hit the cutting board before the
blade does.
If yes, pass them up. Once you find a good set for the money you can
afford, always store the knifes with the cutting edge up.
I have one set of "real" German knifes and one set made in Japan. Both of
them are good.
Just too bad that you can not "try them out for real".
BTW, the Japanese set, has these strange grooves ground in the side of the
blade.
What I noticed is that food does not tend to stick to the sides !!
HTH

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I hear people talking about Henckels, but what other brands are good?
> Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

ms. tonya wrote:
> My choice- made in france
> http://www.worldknives.com/wklaguiole.html

These are not working knives. To wit their opening text: "Laguiole
knives are fine, collectors cutlery"... emphasis on *collectors*
These knives are pretty (beauty being in the eye of the beholder),
meant for display purposes only, not designed for actual use. Laguiole
knives (not cutlery) are for show, not for go. These knives are
essentially artwork, meant to be kept pristine/mint, never used, kept
under glass display. They are expensive but that's fine if you're into
collecting artsy-fartsy, but if you actually buy these to do kitchen
work then you have way more dollars than brain cells.

MAC Knives Bob (this one) General Cooking 5 07-09-2006 12:38 PM
Mac knives modom General Cooking 31 28-05-2006 04:54 PM
New Knives - What will they think of next? wff_ng_6 Cooking Equipment 6 12-10-2005 03:50 AM
Knives & Fry Pan ? Serendipity General Cooking 10 23-05-2005 02:41 PM
Knives A. L. Shaw Cooking Equipment 17 08-01-2005 07:03 AM