Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Middle Eastern flavor

This oughtta be good.
We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
flavor of *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. I said I'd "ask my
people." What do you think it might have been? I wondered about cumin
but don't even know if that's common in that kind of cookery. OTOH, I'm
pretty sure Beef Teriyaki and Chicken Alfredo aren't common to middle
eastern cookery, but they were on the buffet line. :-)
He had kofta with vegetables, falafel, tandoori chicken, some gyro meat,
and I'm not sure what else. Is there a common spice in all of those?
If it makes any difference, the owners are Palestinian.

Save any smartass replies for another time. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> This oughtta be good.
> We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
> Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> flavor of *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
> necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. I said I'd "ask my
> people." What do you think it might have been? I wondered about cumin
> but don't even know if that's common in that kind of cookery. OTOH, I'm
> pretty sure Beef Teriyaki and Chicken Alfredo aren't common to middle
> eastern cookery, but they were on the buffet line. :-)
> He had kofta with vegetables, falafel, tandoori chicken, some gyro meat,
> and I'm not sure what else. Is there a common spice in all of those?
> If it makes any difference, the owners are Palestinian.
>
> Save any smartass replies for another time. :-)

My first guess would be cumin. The DH is Moroccan and they use a TON of
cumin. They make a kofta (kefta) with cumin. A lot of falafel recipes
include cumin not sure about the tandoori chicken and gyro though.

I can't think of anything else with a strong enough flavor which would
stand out be used in all those things.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> This oughtta be good. We had lunch at a Middle Eastern
> Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE Minneapolis. Rob remarked
> that much of the food seemed to have a strong flavor of
> *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
> necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. I said
> I'd "ask my people." What do you think it might have been?
> I wondered about cumin but don't even know if that's common
> in that kind of cookery. OTOH, I'm pretty sure Beef Teriyaki
> and Chicken Alfredo aren't common to middle eastern cookery,
> but they were on the buffet line. :-) He had kofta with
> vegetables, falafel, tandoori chicken, some gyro meat, and I'm
> not sure what else. Is there a common spice in all of those?
> If it makes any difference, the owners are Palestinian.

Things that come to mind: coriander; mint; meyer lemon; sumac.

Apropos, we found five units of the much-coveted Rose Harissa
here in Vancouver. The price was double what we last paid
in London. It is heavy on coriander, hot peppers, and of
course rose petals.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> This oughtta be good.
> We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
> Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> flavor of *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
> necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. I said I'd "ask my
> people." What do you think it might have been? I wondered about cumin
> but don't even know if that's common in that kind of cookery. OTOH, I'm
> pretty sure Beef Teriyaki and Chicken Alfredo aren't common to middle
> eastern cookery, but they were on the buffet line. :-)
> He had kofta with vegetables, falafel, tandoori chicken, some gyro meat,
> and I'm not sure what else. Is there a common spice in all of those?
> If it makes any difference, the owners are Palestinian.
>
> Save any smartass replies for another time. :-)

Cumin is one of the more common spices used in Arab cookery. Most of the
recipes for kefta that I am familiar with use what is commonly know as
"Arabian spice mixture', a mixture of allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg,
cloves, and ginger, all ground and then mixed together. I've a little
jar I mixed up sometime back up in the spice cupboard.

And yes, the spices vary not only by the area where the food is cooked
by by family. Not unlike the rest of us most Arabs have favorite spices.

If you need a recipe for Arabian mixed spices let me know, not only that
but Kuwaiti, Yemeni, and North African variants are in my cookbook. And
they do vary widely as to ingredients and amount of each ingredient in
the mix.

Was that wiseass enough? Nyah, nyah!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> This oughtta be good.
> We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
> Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> flavor of *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
> necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. I said I'd "ask my
> people." What do you think it might have been? I wondered about cumin
> but don't even know if that's common in that kind of cookery. OTOH, I'm
> pretty sure Beef Teriyaki and Chicken Alfredo aren't common to middle
> eastern cookery, but they were on the buffet line. :-)
> He had kofta with vegetables, falafel, tandoori chicken, some gyro meat,
> and I'm not sure what else. Is there a common spice in all of those?
> If it makes any difference, the owners are Palestinian.
>
> Save any smartass replies for another time. :-)
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
> "What you say about someone else says more
> about you than it does about the other person."

Cardamom is another possibility.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> This oughtta be good.
> We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
> Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> flavor of *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
> necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. I said I'd "ask my
> people." What do you think it might have been? I wondered about cumin
> but don't even know if that's common in that kind of cookery. OTOH, I'm
> pretty sure Beef Teriyaki and Chicken Alfredo aren't common to middle
> eastern cookery, but they were on the buffet line. :-)
> He had kofta with vegetables, falafel, tandoori chicken, some gyro meat,
> and I'm not sure what else. Is there a common spice in all of those?
> If it makes any difference, the owners are Palestinian.

Cumin, cinnamon, garlic, mint.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

There is a blend called za'atar that contains a lot of sumac (which is
odd enough in itself in western food).

I don't know if za'atar is a fixed recipie, or a more generic term
like "curry".

Got some recently to play with when I remember. It's good on eggs or
mixed into the pita dough. Haven't done a lot of playing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > This oughtta be good.
> > We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
> > Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> > flavor of *** something.

(snip)

> > Save any smartass replies for another time. :-)

> Cumin is one of the more common spices used in Arab cookery. Most of the
> recipes for kefta that I am familiar with use what is commonly know as
> "Arabian spice mixture', a mixture of allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg,
> cloves, and ginger, all ground and then mixed together. I've a little
> jar I mixed up sometime back up in the spice cupboard.

Sounds like a cookie mix, you ask me. "-)

> And yes, the spices vary not only by the area where the food is cooked
> by by family. Not unlike the rest of us most Arabs have favorite spices.
>
> If you need a recipe for Arabian mixed spices let me know, not only that
> but Kuwaiti, Yemeni, and North African variants are in my cookbook. And
> they do vary widely as to ingredients and amount of each ingredient in
> the mix.
>
> Was that wiseass enough? Nyah, nyah!

No, it was actually helpful for a change. Pfthhgggbtt!
I have no need of any premade blends, Jorge, though I thank you for
asking.

I think he'd recognize cinnamon but might not recognize cumin. I
suppose I could call and ask them what they use a lot of. :-) Thanks.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Tracy >
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
> > Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> > flavor of *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
> > necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. I said I'd "ask my
> > people." What do you think it might have been? I wondered about cumin
> > but don't even know if that's common in that kind of cookery.

(snip)
> My first guess would be cumin. The DH is Moroccan and they use a TON of
> cumin. They make a kofta (kefta) with cumin. A lot of falafel recipes
> include cumin not sure about the tandoori chicken and gyro though.
>
> I can't think of anything else with a strong enough flavor which would
> stand out be used in all those things.
>
> Tracy

Thanks, Tracy. For some reason, cumin is what came to my mind although
I didn't have the chicken or the kofta.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> This oughtta be good.
> We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
> Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> flavor of *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
> necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent.
> --

(snippage)

Curry powder, Barbara?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> This oughtta be good.
> We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
> Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> flavor of *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
> necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. I said I'd "ask my
> people." What do you think it might have been? I wondered about cumin
> but don't even know if that's common in that kind of cookery. OTOH, I'm
> pretty sure Beef Teriyaki and Chicken Alfredo aren't common to middle
> eastern cookery, but they were on the buffet line. :-)
> He had kofta with vegetables, falafel, tandoori chicken, some gyro meat,
> and I'm not sure what else. Is there a common spice in all of those?
> If it makes any difference, the owners are Palestinian.
>
> Save any smartass replies for another time. :-)

Cumin, coriander seed, saffron, and/or mint. (IMHO, mint is somewhat
interchangeable with bayleaf in savory dishes)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 3:18*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> This oughtta be good.
> We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant *today * Holy Land in NE
> Minneapolis. *Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> flavor of *** something. *He didn't know what it was. *Said it wasn't
> necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. *I said I'd "ask my
> people." *What do you think it might have been? *I wondered about cumin
> but don't even know if that's common in that kind of cookery. *OTOH, I'm
> pretty sure Beef Teriyaki and Chicken Alfredo aren't common to middle
> eastern cookery, but they were on the buffet line. *:-)
> He had kofta with vegetables, falafel, tandoori chicken, some gyro meat,
> and I'm not sure what else. *Is there a common spice in all of those? *
> If it makes any difference, the owners are Palestinian.
>
> Save any smartass replies for another time. *:-)
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
> "What you say about someone else says more
> about you than it does about the other person."

Cumin, lemon, and pomegranate are all used in savory dishes in the
Middle East.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:

> There is a blend called za'atar that contains a lot of sumac (which is
> odd enough in itself in western food).
>
> I don't know if za'atar is a fixed recipie, or a more generic term
> like "curry".
>
> Got some recently to play with when I remember. It's good on eggs or
> mixed into the pita dough. Haven't done a lot of playing.

The times I've seen za'atar used in the Middle East it was as a dip. Dip
your flat bread into olive oil, then into za'atar. Any decent Middle
Eastern store will carry it in bags in a generic mix. I keep mine in
vacuum sealed fruit jars in the cupboard. Not all zatar spices have
sumac in them but I prefer it that way myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > This oughtta be good.
> > We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
> > Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> > flavor of *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
> > necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent.
> > --

> (snippage)
>
> Curry powder, Barbara?
>
> Jill

Not curry, Jill. I had that dish. :-) And a very mild flavor it was,
I might add. :-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> This oughtta be good.
> We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
> Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> flavor of *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
> necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. I said I'd "ask my
> people." What do you think it might have been? I wondered about cumin
> but don't even know if that's common in that kind of cookery. OTOH, I'm
> pretty sure Beef Teriyaki and Chicken Alfredo aren't common to middle
> eastern cookery, but they were on the buffet line. :-)
> He had kofta with vegetables, falafel, tandoori chicken, some gyro meat,
> and I'm not sure what else. Is there a common spice in all of those?
> If it makes any difference, the owners are Palestinian.
>
> Save any smartass replies for another time. :-)

Fenugreek.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> He had kofta with vegetables, falafel, tandoori chicken,

Shouldn't be very much "Middle Eastern flavour" in tandoori dishes...

> some gyro meat,

It's "gyros" not "gyro". Look at the Greek spelling and you will see a
sigma at the end of the word.

If the owners are "Palestinian", they ought to serve "shawarma" instead,
anyway.

> and I'm not sure what else. Is there a common spice in all of those?
> If it makes any difference, the owners are Palestinian.

Mint, cumin, coriander (cilantro), cinnamon, nutmeg all come to mind.

Given any choice at all, I'd avoid this kind of "fusion", Unholy Land
restaurant like a plague.

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> This oughtta be good.
> We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
> Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> flavor of *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
> necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. I said I'd "ask my
> people." What do you think it might have been?

Zatar? Sumac? Take him to a Penzey's and ask the clerks about
mid-eastern spice, then take Rob around to sniff them. He should be
able to identify the spice that way.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 11, 1:18*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> This oughtta be good.
> We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant *today * Holy Land in NE
> Minneapolis. *Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> flavor of *** something. *He didn't know what it was. *Said it wasn't
> necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. *I said I'd "ask my
> people." *What do you think it might have been? *I wondered about cumin
> but don't even know if that's common in that kind of cookery. *OTOH, I'm
> pretty sure Beef Teriyaki and Chicken Alfredo aren't common to middle
> eastern cookery, but they were on the buffet line. *:-)
> He had kofta with vegetables, falafel, tandoori chicken, some gyro meat,
> and I'm not sure what else. *Is there a common spice in all of those? *
> If it makes any difference, the owners are Palestinian.
>
> Save any smartass replies for another time. *:-)
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
> "What you say about someone else says more
> about you than it does about the other person."

I'd bet my whatchamacallit it was Za' atar. The two Palestinian guys
(brothers Ahmad Younis and Younis Younis) at Aladdin put it on
everything except gyros and tzatziki. Rice, French fries, salads
whatever. They also sell it ontheir little deli shelves. It's
usually called Za'atar Green and the ingredients are mostly sumac
(kind of lemony) and thyme.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> This oughtta be good.
> We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
> Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> flavor of *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
> necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. I said I'd "ask my
> people." What do you think it might have been? I wondered about cumin
> but don't even know if that's common in that kind of cookery.

When I put the jar of cumin under his nose, he said, "That's it!"
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> This oughtta be good.
> We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant *today * Holy Land in NE
> Minneapolis. *Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> flavor of *** something. *He didn't know what it was. *Said it wasn't
> necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. *I said I'd "ask my
> people." *What do you think it might have been? *I wondered about cumin
> but don't even know if that's common in that kind of cookery. *OTOH, I'm
> pretty sure Beef Teriyaki and Chicken Alfredo aren't common to middle
> eastern cookery, but they were on the buffet line. *:-)
> He had kofta with vegetables, falafel, tandoori chicken, some gyro meat,
> and I'm not sure what else. *Is there a common spice in all of those? *
> If it makes any difference, the owners are Palestinian.
>
> Save any smartass replies for another time. *:-)

Possibly za'atar, which is hyssop-based. Felafal and gyro would have
cumin.
It's what I call a warm flavor, not spicy, but good. Funny thing is,
when I was younger, I thought it smelled like armpit.....

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:
> Zatar? Sumac? Take him to a Penzey's and ask the clerks about
> mid-eastern spice, then take Rob around to sniff them. He should be
> able to identify the spice that way.
>
> gloria p

There's a better chance that pigs would fly than I would get him to a
Penzeys while conscious. (He's since identified it as cumin.)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> Given any choice at all, I'd avoid this kind of "fusion", Unholy Land
> restaurant like a plague.
>
> Bubba

Dear Bubba:

You DO understand that she lives in Minnesota, don't you?
In most of Middle America we are fortunate to find ANY ethnic
food other than ersatz Italian or Chinese or Mexican.

Those of you who live in more cosmopolitan areas should take pity on us,
not belittle our attempts at widening our culinary horizons.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > This oughtta be good.
> > We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
> > Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
> > flavor of *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
> > necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. I said I'd "ask my
> > people." What do you think it might have been? I wondered about cumin
> > but don't even know if that's common in that kind of cookery.

> When I put the jar of cumin under his nose, he said, "That's it!"

Good to know the mystery is solved!!!! I was ever so curious, too

Sky

---
Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 11 Mar 2009 09:16:31p, Gloria P told us...

> Victor Sack wrote:
>

>> Given any choice at all, I'd avoid this kind of "fusion", Unholy Land
>> restaurant like a plague.
>>
>> Bubba

> Dear Bubba:
>
> You DO understand that she lives in Minnesota, don't you?
> In most of Middle America we are fortunate to find ANY ethnic
> food other than ersatz Italian or Chinese or Mexican.
>
> Those of you who live in more cosmopolitan areas should take pity on us,
> not belittle our attempts at widening our culinary horizons.
>
> gloria p

Bubba doesn't care. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 12:16*am, Gloria P > wrote:
> Victor Sack wrote:
>
> > Given any choice at all, I'd avoid this kind of "fusion", Unholy Land
> > restaurant like a plague.

> > Bubba

> Dear Bubba:
>
> You DO understand that she lives in Minnesota, don't you?
> In most of Middle America we are fortunate to find ANY ethnic
> food other than ersatz Italian or Chinese or Mexican.
>
> Those of you who live in more cosmopolitan areas should take pity on us,
> not belittle our attempts at widening our culinary horizons.
>
> gloria p

[sound of world's smallest violin playing "my heart bleeds for you"]
[grin, duck, and run]

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
>
>> Given any choice at all, I'd avoid this kind of "fusion", Unholy Land
>> restaurant like a plague.

> Dear Bubba:
>
> You DO understand that she lives in Minnesota, don't you?

I see it now. There she is, poor Barbabietola, in her igloo in the
middle of Minneapolis tundra, with only an occasional polar bear for a
companion.

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Gloria P wrote:
>
>> Victor Sack wrote:
>>
>>> Given any choice at all, I'd avoid this kind of "fusion", Unholy Land
>>> restaurant like a plague.

>> Dear Bubba:
>>
>> You DO understand that she lives in Minnesota, don't you?

> I see it now. There she is, poor Barbabietola, in her igloo in the
> middle of Minneapolis tundra, with only an occasional polar bear for a
> companion.
>
> Bubba

Don't be a butthead, Bubba.

You know what I meant. It's not like we live in NYC or San Francisco or
London where there are "authentic" (God, I hate that word) ethnic
restaurants on every corner. We take what we can get. What I should
have asked you is "Does having to avoid not-so-authentic ethnic
restaurants mean you forever condemned us to eat only at McDonald's?"

If you consider "Adapt, migrate, or die." we have chosen to adapt.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> Victor Sack wrote:
>>
>> I see it now. There she is, poor Barbabietola, in her igloo in the
>> middle of Minneapolis tundra, with only an occasional polar bear for a
>> companion.

> Don't be a butthead, Bubba.
>
> You know what I meant. It's not like we live in NYC or San Francisco or
> London where there are "authentic" (God, I hate that word) ethnic
> restaurants on every corner

I like to read menus and restaurant reviews and I have read a lot of
online ones of Minneapolis and St. Paul restaurants. There are probably
at least as many authentic ethnic ones there and maybe more than, say,
in Düsseldorf.

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> I like to read menus and restaurant reviews and I have read a lot of
> online ones of Minneapolis and St. Paul restaurants. There are probably
> at least as many authentic ethnic ones there and maybe more than, say,
> in Düsseldorf.
>
> Bubba

Perhaps, but eating Norwegian all the time gets a bit boring....
;-)

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 10:58*am, Gloria P > wrote:
> Victor Sack wrote:
>
> > I like to read menus and restaurant reviews and I have read a lot of
> > online ones of Minneapolis and St. Paul restaurants. *There are probably
> > at least as many authentic ethnic ones there and maybe more than, say,
> > in Düsseldorf.

> > Bubba

> Perhaps, but eating Norwegian all the time gets a bit boring....
> ;-)
>
> gloria p

===============================

To my knowledge, now that Marcus Samuelsson has closed Aquavit, there
are no Norwegian restaurnts in Minneapolis/St.Paul. :-)
Lynn in Fargo
disclaimer: either Samuelsson and/or Aquavit may be Swedish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Gloria P wrote:
>
>> Victor Sack wrote:
>>
>>> Given any choice at all, I'd avoid this kind of "fusion", Unholy Land
>>> restaurant like a plague.

>> Dear Bubba:
>>
>> You DO understand that she lives in Minnesota, don't you?

> I see it now. There she is, poor Barbabietola, in her igloo in the
> middle of Minneapolis tundra, with only an occasional polar bear for a
> companion.
>
> Bubba

Actually she lives in southern Canada, Minnesota being a long-lost
province of that nation.

Her mantra is: "We love it here, we love it here, we love it here."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> This oughtta be good.
>> We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
>> Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a strong
>> flavor of *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
>> necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. I said I'd "ask my
>> people." What do you think it might have been? I wondered about cumin
>> but don't even know if that's common in that kind of cookery.

> When I put the jar of cumin under his nose, he said, "That's it!"

Cumin was so obvious I chose the unobvious (fenugreek).
Who doesn't know the smell of BO? Get with it, girl!

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote:

> On Mar 12, 10:58*am, Gloria P > wrote:
> > Victor Sack wrote:
> >
> > > I like to read menus and restaurant reviews and I have read a lot of
> > > online ones of Minneapolis and St. Paul restaurants. *There are probably
> > > at least as many authentic ethnic ones there and maybe more than, say,
> > > in Düsseldorf.

> > > Bubba

> > Perhaps, but eating Norwegian all the time gets a bit boring....
> > ;-)
> >
> > gloria p

> ===============================
>
> To my knowledge, now that Marcus Samuelsson has closed Aquavit, there
> are no Norwegian restaurnts in Minneapolis/St.Paul. :-)
> Lynn in Fargo
> disclaimer: either Samuelsson and/or Aquavit may be Swedish.

Samuelsson is Swedish. Best chance for Norwidgian food might be at the
Sons of Norway hall. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> >
> >> This oughtta be good.
> >> We had lunch at a Middle Eastern Restaurant today * Holy Land in NE
> >> Minneapolis. Rob remarked that much of the food seemed to have a

strong
> >> flavor of *** something. He didn't know what it was. Said it wasn't
> >> necessarily unpleasant except that it was prominent. I said I'd "ask

my
> >> people." What do you think it might have been? I wondered about cumin
> >> but don't even know if that's common in that kind of cookery.

> > When I put the jar of cumin under his nose, he said, "That's it!"

> Cumin was so obvious I chose the unobvious (fenugreek).
> Who doesn't know the smell of BO? Get with it, girl!

Those arabs all stink, Steve...their nauseous odor would float a boat.

Got a cab the other night and it was a raghead driver, the stench would have
gagged a maggot - and it was about TEN degrees outside. Had to open the
window so's I wouldn't puke...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 4:49*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote:

> > > Perhaps, but eating Norwegian all the time gets a bit boring....
> > > ;-)

> > > gloria p

> > ===============================

> > To my knowledge, now that Marcus Samuelsson has closed Aquavit, there
> > are no Norwegian restaurnts in Minneapolis/St.Paul. * *:-)
> > Lynn in Fargo
> > disclaimer: *either Samuelsson and/or Aquavit may be Swedish.

> Samuelsson is Swedish. *Best chance for Norwidgian food might be at the
> Sons of Norway hall. *:-)
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller
> "What you say about someone else says more
> about you than it does about the other person."

There is good food at our SON too! Especially their tomato soup and
their pies! I should have remembered that he's Swedish - that double
"s" is a pretty dead giveaway. Every supermarket in Fargo carries at
least three brands of lefse. Only the churches do meatballs and
lutefisk (thank heaven)
Lynn in Fargo