cris baldwin

Default middle eastern recipes

Hi folks
any one got any tasty middle eastern recipes they would like to share? -
tagines and stews - that sort of thing

cheers and happy new year!!
Cris
Kate L Pugh

cris baldwin > wrote:
> any one got any tasty middle eastern recipes they would like to
> share? - tagines and stews - that sort of thing

I'm never quite sure how "Middle Eastern" is defined. Here's a Persian
(Iranian) recipe I got from the BBC Vegetarian magazine though:
http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/re...mato-dill.html

There are also a couple of recipes on the HLSC website that might suit:
http://www.ivu.org/hlsc/recipes/turm...tato-stew.html
http://www.ivu.org/hlsc/recipes/carrot-dill-salad.html

Kake
Sam D.

"cris baldwin" > wrote in message
> Hi folks
> any one got any tasty middle eastern recipes they would like to

share? -
> tagines and stews - that sort of thing

Harira

This Moroccan stew with lentils and garbanzos is prepared with some
variation and enjoyed throughout the Mideast.

Prep time: about 30 minutes. Total time about 1 hour.

2 (28 oz.) cans peeled whole tomatoes
30 parsley sprigs
15 cilantro sprigs
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, coarsely chopped
8 threads Spanish saffron, crushed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 bay leaf, optional
Water
1 Bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 cup lentils, soaked for 1 hour in cold water and drained
Salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup crushed fideo or vermicelli
Chopped cilantro, for garnish
Lemon wedges, for serving

Drain tomatoes, pouring the liquid from the cans into a large soup pot.
Coarsely chop the tomatoes, parsley and cilantro sprigs and add them to the
liquid in the pot. Add saffron, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, bay leaf and 5
cups water.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil and saute onions and bell
pepper, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft. When done, add the
skillet contents to the soup pot. Cover and bring to rolling boil. Add
garbanzo beans Reduce heat to medium-low, and add lentils, pepper, and salt
to taste. Cover and cook 20 to 25 minutes until lentils are tender. When
done, remove from heat.

Bring a pot of water to boil for pasta. Add pasta and cook until al dente,
about 5 minutes. Drain and stir into soup . Taste and add more salt and/or
pepper to desired taste. Ladle harira into individual soup bowls. Top with
chopped cilantro and serve with lemon wedges and crusty bread. 8 servings.

An alternate serving method is to *slightly* thicken the finished before
adding the pasta. I use guar gum but cornstarch or any other thickening
agent will do. Then ladle the harira over a serving of couscous. Delicious!
I prepared it this way early last year and served it with a Greek salad,
rolls and butter for 35 members of my club. It was so popular that I got
requests for the same menu 2 more times during the course of the year.