Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Middle Eastern Cookbooks

I am looking for a recomendation for a good Middle Eastern cookbook,
written in English, with recipes for traditional foods rather than
Americanized ones. If anyone can suggest a good one I would be very
thankful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sharon Chilson" > wrote in message

> I am looking for a recomendation for a good Middle Eastern cookbook,
> written in English, with recipes for traditional foods rather than
> Americanized ones. If anyone can suggest a good one I would be very
> thankful.

How many goats & camels do you have access to?

:-)

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine, thank you for the Claudia Roden suggestion. I am on my way to
Amazon.

Dimitri, my area is sadly lacking in goats and camels, so hopefully lamb
and beef can be used instead (smile).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sharon Chilson" > wrote in message

> Christine, thank you for the Claudia Roden suggestion. I am on my way to
> Amazon.
>
> Dimitri, my area is sadly lacking in goats and camels, so hopefully lamb
> and beef can be used instead (smile).

You might do better on the web in 3 areas:

1. Search (Google) for specific country or regional recipes on the web
i.e. Moroccan or Lebanese etc.
2. When you do search go to the native language pages and let either Alta
Vista or Google do the translations.
3. Think about the ethnic searches i.e. Farsi recipes.

BTW if you have any Mexican or Latin meat Markets, you'll be able to get
goat.

:-)

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri > wrote:

> "Sharon Chilson" > wrote in message
>>
>> I am looking for a recomendation for a good Middle Eastern cookbook,
>> written in English, with recipes for traditional foods rather than
>> Americanized ones. If anyone can suggest a good one I would be very
>> thankful.

> How many goats & camels do you have access to?

There's geese involved, too. Stuff geese into goat into camel and
slow roast.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> BTW if you have any Mexican or Latin meat Markets, you'll be able to get
> goat.

They will call it "cabrito"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I looked at Claudia Roden's cookbooks online. Next week when I am out
and about again I'll go by Borders or Barnes + Noble so I can look at
her books 'for real' (hold them in my hand and go page by page).

I will also do as Dimitri suggested and search the internet for various
countries style of cooking.

I really appreciate the suggestions I've been given here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:47:04 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>BTW if you have any Mexican or Latin meat Markets, you'll be able to get
>goat.

Halal butchers will also carry goat. Depending on the season they may
or may not have a ready supply and you may need to reserve it in
advance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Robert wrote on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:02:03 -0700:

>> BTW if you have any Mexican or Latin meat Markets, you'll be
>> able to get goat.

>Halal butchers will also carry goat. Depending on the season
> they mayor may not have a ready supply and you may need to
> reserve it in advance.

I sometimes go to an Indian restaurant for lunch. They almost always
have goat curry on their buffet menu. I wonder where they buy the meat?
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:40:02 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Robert wrote on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:02:03 -0700:
>
>>> BTW if you have any Mexican or Latin meat Markets, you'll be
>>> able to get goat.

>>Halal butchers will also carry goat. Depending on the season
>> they mayor may not have a ready supply and you may need to
>> reserve it in advance.

>I sometimes go to an Indian restaurant for lunch. They almost always
>have goat curry on their buffet menu. I wonder where they buy the meat?

You'll have to ask them. They could get it from a local carniceria
(Mexican butcher), Halal butcher, or they could source it from a local
"rancher" - raising goat doesn't require much land.