Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eating at Mexican restaurants

I sat down in a Mexican restaurant today in Georgia. I was the only
customer. It was only around 4:30 so I really didn't think much about
it being empty.

The menu was Spanish only.......I ordered a burrito and sweet tea. The
girl said there was no tea made in broken English. She pointed to a
drink cooler with an open glass display. I pointed to a Fanta Orange.

She took the my order to the back...........When she came back I
said.....No chips? She brought out an order of chips and salsa. The
chips were cold. One of them looked like it had been recycled.

The thing that struck me as most odd was that the Fanta orange had a
stick on label on the back with the nutrition information. At the
bottom of the label it said.....made in India. I took a picture of
the drink label with my cell phone, but my USB cable is broke.

I walked out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 22:10:11 -0500, metspitzer wrote:

> I sat down in a Mexican restaurant today in Georgia. I was the only
> customer. It was only around 4:30 so I really didn't think much about
> it being empty.
>
> The menu was Spanish only.......I ordered a burrito and sweet tea. The
> girl said there was no tea made in broken English. She pointed to a
> drink cooler with an open glass display. I pointed to a Fanta Orange.
>
> She took the my order to the back...........When she came back I
> said.....No chips? She brought out an order of chips and salsa. The
> chips were cold. One of them looked like it had been recycled.
>
> The thing that struck me as most odd was that the Fanta orange had a
> stick on label on the back with the nutrition information. At the
> bottom of the label it said.....made in India. I took a picture of the
> drink label with my cell phone, but my USB cable is broke.

The Fanta was probably bought from a "cheap imports" store.

We've got a few of them in our city. Crates and crates of close to the
best-by date goods, imported from exotic overseas locations.

$1.99 for a 500g can of Nescafe coffee from Vietnam, $2 for a pack of 6
strange toothpastes from Indonesia, $1.50 for 10 cans of Indian Fanta
etc., etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 6, 10:10 pm, metspitzer > wrote:
> I sat down in a Mexican restaurant today in Georgia. I was the only
> customer. It was only around 4:30 so I really didn't think much about
> it being empty.
>
> The menu was Spanish only.......I ordered a burrito and sweet tea. The
> girl said there was no tea made in broken English. She pointed to a
> drink cooler with an open glass display. I pointed to a Fanta Orange.
>
> She took the my order to the back...........When she came back I
> said.....No chips? She brought out an order of chips and salsa. The
> chips were cold. One of them looked like it had been recycled.
>
> The thing that struck me as most odd was that the Fanta orange had a
> stick on label on the back with the nutrition information. At the
> bottom of the label it said.....made in India. I took a picture of
> the drink label with my cell phone, but my USB cable is broke.
>
> I walked out.

You had a bad dining experience. Could have been for any of many
reasons.

I kinda have a problem with your generalization "Eating at Mexican
restaurants" . Could have been "Eating at a resaurant in Georgia", "
Diner on route 4 outside Decatur" or more specifically, " Last
Thursday at La Taco Burrito on 12th street was unsatisfatory".

Paint with a finer brush, amigo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 06:32:48 +0000, Horry wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 22:10:11 -0500, metspitzer wrote:
>
>> I sat down in a Mexican restaurant today in Georgia. I was the only
>> customer. It was only around 4:30 so I really didn't think much about
>> it being empty.
>>
>> The menu was Spanish only.......I ordered a burrito and sweet tea. The
>> girl said there was no tea made in broken English. She pointed to a
>> drink cooler with an open glass display. I pointed to a Fanta Orange.
>>
>> She took the my order to the back...........When she came back I
>> said.....No chips? She brought out an order of chips and salsa. The
>> chips were cold. One of them looked like it had been recycled.
>>
>> The thing that struck me as most odd was that the Fanta orange had a
>> stick on label on the back with the nutrition information. At the
>> bottom of the label it said.....made in India. I took a picture of
>> the drink label with my cell phone, but my USB cable is broke.

> The Fanta was probably bought from a "cheap imports" store.
>
> We've got a few of them in our city. Crates and crates of close to the
> best-by date goods, imported from exotic overseas locations.
>
> $1.99 for a 500g can of Nescafe coffee from Vietnam, $2 for a pack of 6
> strange toothpastes from Indonesia, $1.50 for 10 cans of Indian Fanta
> etc., etc.

Ours are apparently called "Rite Price Grocery Clearance Stores".

Here's a thread about some dodgy juice.

http://www.adelaidetalkbacksa.com/fo...ead.php?t=4359
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 22:10:11 -0500, metspitzer >
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>I sat down in a Mexican restaurant today in Georgia. I was the only
>customer. It was only around 4:30 so I really didn't think much about
>it being empty.
>
>The menu was Spanish only.......I ordered a burrito and sweet tea. The
>girl said there was no tea made in broken English. She pointed to a
>drink cooler with an open glass display. I pointed to a Fanta Orange.
>
>She took the my order to the back...........When she came back I
>said.....No chips? She brought out an order of chips and salsa. The
>chips were cold. One of them looked like it had been recycled.
>
>The thing that struck me as most odd was that the Fanta orange had a
>stick on label on the back with the nutrition information. At the
>bottom of the label it said.....made in India. I took a picture of
>the drink label with my cell phone, but my USB cable is broke.
>
>I walked out.

A Mexican restaurant with a menu in Spanish???? Christ! I should be so
lucky.

TPIAW - it's not about where the Fanta came from, it's about the food.
Learn some basic Spanish so you can be understood next time.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-07, metspitzer > wrote:

> I sat down in a Mexican restaurant today in Georgia. I was the only
> customer.

> The menu was Spanish only.......I ordered a burrito and sweet tea.

> chips were cold. One of them looked like it had been recycled.

> The thing that struck me as most odd was that the Fanta orange had a
> stick on label on the back with the nutrition information. At the
> bottom of the label it said.....made in India. I took a picture of
> the drink label with my cell phone, but my USB cable is broke.

You're A) liar, B) moron, C) troll, D) all the above

> I walked out.

Hopefully, you'll grace us all by doing likewise.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 12:55:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>> The menu was Spanish only.......I ordered a burrito and sweet tea.

>You're A) liar, B) moron, C) troll, D) all the above
>
>> I walked out.

Actually, there probably is a lot of truth in the story. They said
they were in Georgia.....and the key phrase is "sweet tea". That
is the house wine of the south. <VBG>

Mexican mercados are popping up everywhere. If you walk in, there
ain't a whole lot of English labeling. I can believe the menu was
spanish only.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-07, Mr Bill > wrote:

> I can believe the menu was spanish only.

I can't. Even the dumbest illegal is not stupid enough to try and sell
gringos food via a menu they can't underwstand.

nb ....from the land of a thousand taquerias
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote

>> I can believe the menu was spanish only.

> I can't. Even the dumbest illegal is not stupid enough to try and sell
> gringos food via a menu they can't underwstand.

Grin, they have one here and they arent illegals. Just 'english challanged'
but comes with pictures and the manager speaks perfect english.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-07, cshenk > wrote:

> Grin, they have one here and they arent illegals. Just 'english challanged'
> but comes with pictures and the manager speaks perfect english.

Perhaps it's me. Terms like burrito and rellano are virtually English to me.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
metspitzer > wrote:

> I sat down in a Mexican restaurant today in Georgia. I was the only
> customer. It was only around 4:30 so I really didn't think much about
> it being empty.

> The menu was Spanish only.......I ordered a burrito and sweet tea. The
> girl said there was no tea made in broken English.

I should hope not! If it had been made in broken English, you'd have
had tea all over you *and* the table. If it would have even got that
far! One must always use unbroken English in which to make tea.

(The debbil made me do it. If I didn't zxcvbob would have.)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 13:38:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I can't. Even the dumbest illegal is not stupid enough to try and sell
>gringos food via a menu they can't underwstand.

maybe they are not trying to attract "gringos"? Mercados are NOT
trying to get the gringos in their shop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 13:49:50 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Perhaps it's me. Terms like burrito and rellano are virtually English to me.

How do you feel about "ladera" or "ropa sucia"? Spanish is a rich
and colorful language with more words than burrito and rellano.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 12:45*am, bulka > wrote:
> On Mar 6, 10:10 pm, metspitzer > wrote:
>

> > I sat down in a Mexican restaurant today in Georgia. *I was the only
> > customer. *It was only around 4:30 so I really didn't think much about
> > it being empty.

> > The menu was Spanish only.......I ordered a burrito and sweet tea. The
> > girl said there was no tea made in broken English. *She pointed to a
> > drink cooler with an open glass display. *I pointed to a Fanta Orange..

> > She took the my order to the back...........When she came back I
> > said.....No chips? *She brought out an order of chips and salsa. *The
> > chips were cold. *One of them looked like it had been recycled.

> > The thing that struck me as most odd was that the Fanta orange had a
> > stick on label on the back with the nutrition information. *At the
> > bottom of the label it said.....made in India. * I took a picture of
> > the drink label with my cell phone, but my USB cable is broke.

> > I walked out.

> You had a bad dining experience. *Could have been for any of many
> reasons.
>
> I kinda have a problem with your generalization "Eating at Mexican
> restaurants" . *Could have been "Eating at a resaurant in Georgia", "
> Diner on route 4 outside Decatur" *or more specifically, " Last
> Thursday at La Taco Burrito on 12th street was unsatisfatory".
>
> Paint with a finer brush, amigo.

I couldn't agree more. I'd say that the majority of my favorite
restaurant meals have been Mexican. Everything from the pricier
AmeriMex to taqueria inside a mercado, to taco truck. Not that I
haven't had bad Mexican, but I know to avoid low price AmeriMex like
this place: http://elmagueyoflongroad.com/menu.htm

http://local.yahoo.com/info-17711042...nchester%2C+MO

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 7:49*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-03-07, cshenk > wrote:
>
> > Grin, they have one here and they arent illegals. *Just 'english challanged'
> > but comes with pictures and the manager speaks perfect english.

I suspect that many of the local Chinese take out joints deliberately
misspell, omit articles and screw up subject verb agreement on their
menus in order to seem more authentic.

> Perhaps it's me. *Terms like burrito and rellano are virtually English to me. *

Isn't a burrito a small donkey?

> nb

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-07, Mr Bill > wrote:

> maybe they are not trying to attract "gringos"? Mercados are NOT
> trying to get the gringos in their shop.

Maybe, but not likely. I'm from CA. There's a Mexican ________ (fill in
the blank) on every corner. I've never ever seen a menu in all Spanish.
What's the point? My SIL is US born Mexican. Can't speak Spanish. Nor can
my half Mexican granddaughters. Even the town's most Mexican popular
taqueria's menus are in English. Granted, the more Mexican centrist places,
like Mexican markets, are primarily Spanish labeled, but I've never EVER
seen a Mex resto who's whole menu is in Spanish. If it exists, it's a
recipe for failure.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 8:47*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-03-07, Mr *Bill > wrote:
>
> > maybe they are not trying to attract "gringos"? * * Mercados are NOT
> > trying to get the gringos in their shop. *

> Maybe, but not likely. *I'm from CA. *There's a Mexican ________ (fill in
> the blank) on every corner. *I've never ever seen a menu in all Spanish..
> What's the point? *My SIL is US born Mexican. *Can't speak Spanish. *Nor can
> my half Mexican granddaughters. *Even the town's most Mexican popular
> taqueria's menus are in English. *Granted, the more Mexican centrist places,
> like Mexican markets, are primarily Spanish labeled, but I've never EVER
> seen a Mex resto who's whole menu is in Spanish. *If it exists, it's a
> recipe for failure.

I used to eat at this taqueria inside a little mercado here in StL.
Their menu was in Spanish, and the waitress spoke only Spanish. They
has a photocopied B&W menu in English that they'd bring out once they
knew you didn't speak Spanish. What makes this funnier was that the
store was called, "My Family." Not Mi Familia, My Family. The owners
spoke perfect English. I adored that place. Then they put in a bar
(which meant the filthy gringo locals would sit there and smoke), and
increased prices. *

I found this pic on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mbk/315...in/set-750998/

> nb

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-07, Mr Bill > wrote:

> How do you feel about "ladera" or "ropa sucia"?

I don't feel anything and have no qualms about it. I never claimed to speak
Spanish, only that I'm pretty familiar with Mexican culture. In a town
where the three closest schools to my grandaughers are 96% Mexican, I do
have a slight spattering of familiarity.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-07, Mr Bill > wrote:

> How do you feel about "ladera" or "ropa sucia"?

I don't feel anything and have no qualms about it. I never claimed to speak
Spanish, only that I'm pretty familiar with Mexican culture. In a town
where the three closest schools to my grandaughers are 96% Mexican, I do
have a slight spattering of familiarity.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-07, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> You could probably find one down here in NM....

Was it AZ or NM that had a town so populated with Mexicans, they outlawed
speaking English. Real life is stranger than fiction.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 22:10:11 -0500, metspitzer >
> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>I sat down in a Mexican restaurant today in Georgia. I was the only
>>customer. It was only around 4:30 so I really didn't think much about
>>it being empty.
>>
>>The menu was Spanish only.......I ordered a burrito and sweet tea. The
>>girl said there was no tea made in broken English. She pointed to a
>>drink cooler with an open glass display. I pointed to a Fanta Orange.
>>
>>She took the my order to the back...........When she came back I
>>said.....No chips? She brought out an order of chips and salsa. The
>>chips were cold. One of them looked like it had been recycled.
>>
>>The thing that struck me as most odd was that the Fanta orange had a
>>stick on label on the back with the nutrition information. At the
>>bottom of the label it said.....made in India. I took a picture of
>>the drink label with my cell phone, but my USB cable is broke.
>>
>>I walked out.

> A Mexican restaurant with a menu in Spanish???? Christ! I should be so
> lucky.

But the problem is he was looking for comida-mexicana-agringada.....

:-)

Dimitrio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2009-03-07, Mr Bill > wrote:
>
>> maybe they are not trying to attract "gringos"? Mercados are NOT
>> trying to get the gringos in their shop.

> Maybe, but not likely. I'm from CA. There's a Mexican ________ (fill in
> the blank) on every corner.

Talking about Latin Lovers again?

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2009-03-07, cshenk > wrote:
>
> > Grin, they have one here and they arent illegals. Just 'english
> > challanged'
> > but comes with pictures and the manager speaks perfect english.

> Perhaps it's me. Terms like burrito and rellano are virtually English to me.
>

> nb

<lol> Same here.
I have no trouble reading a spanish menu for the most part, and if I do,
I'll ask questions.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> Isn't a burrito a small donkey?

<lol> Thanks for the morning chuckle!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 15:58:43 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2009-03-07, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
>> You could probably find one down here in NM....

> Was it AZ or NM that had a town so populated with Mexicans, they outlawed
> speaking English. Real life is stranger than fiction.
>
> nb

this sounds like complete bullshit to me.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 06:40:42 -0800 (PST), Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> On Mar 7, 7:49*am, notbob > wrote:
>> On 2009-03-07, cshenk > wrote:
>>
>>> Grin, they have one here and they arent illegals. *Just 'english challanged'
>>> but comes with pictures and the manager speaks perfect english.

> I suspect that many of the local Chinese take out joints deliberately
> misspell, omit articles and screw up subject verb agreement on their
> menus in order to seem more authentic.

this is just about the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2009-03-07, Mr Bill > wrote:
>
>> I can believe the menu was spanish only.

> I can't. Even the dumbest illegal is not stupid enough to try and sell
> gringos food via a menu they can't underwstand.
>
> nb ....from the land of a thousand taquerias

Right you are, notbob. Even here on the border, where the help sometimes
doesn't speak much English, the menus are in English. AAMOF, in the
little shopping town on the south-side of the border, the menus are in
English, too. but they cater to Anglos.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My favorite mexican place in Chicago welcomed gringos, but the
clientele mostly Mexican. Bilingual menues, but the waitresses were
struggling. I am still convinced that this was the first job in the
states, probably a network from the same town or family back home. No
problem. They were all young, pretty, friendly. And after all, how
hard is it to memorize a few syllables for your favorite things -
media de pollo, caldo de mariscos, taro de cerveza. People who are
trying to learn your language can be very understanding about your
horrible accent and hilarious mistakes in theirs.

I thought I was showing off once with some of my Polish ESL
students. Everyone laughed. One sweet woman said, "Don't laugh,
that's like our English." But she was still laughing.

Once at a Thai place, I didn't see exactly what I wanted on the menu.
I asked for Tom Ka Kai. The waiter: "How you know kai chicken?" I
didn't know any such thing, just that if I made that noise I'd get a
bowl of my favorite soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-07, blake murphy > wrote:

> this sounds like complete bullshit to me.

Sucks to be you.

http://englishfirst.org/elcenezo/elcenizoglobe.htm

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 08:44:43 -0800, "Dimitri" >
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>> A Mexican restaurant with a menu in Spanish???? Christ! I should be so
>> lucky.
>>

>But the problem is he was looking for comida-mexicana-agringada.....
>
>:-)
>
>Dimitrio

Taco Bell has a LOT to answer for ... ;-)b

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 13:38:37 GMT, notbob > shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>On 2009-03-07, Mr Bill > wrote:
>
>> I can believe the menu was spanish only.

>I can't. Even the dumbest illegal is not stupid enough to try and sell
>gringos food via a menu they can't underwstand.

Two questions come to mind.

What makes you think that they're illeagals? Or that they're trying to
sell to gringos?

Personally, when I'm back in California (or Arizona, NM, Texas), I go
out of my way to eat in Mexican restaurants that don't cater for
gringos.

BTW - One of the best lunches my wife and I have ever had was at a
little Mexican place on our way out to visit my folks in "Sun City" -
the retirement community they'd moved to in the desert near Hemet,
California.

We'd had a light breakfast in Malibu and were starting to feel real
hungry by the time we spotted a big, flashing sign for a Mexican
restaurant in one of the ubiquitous strip malls that line Highway 10.

We were just about to pull into a space near the restaurant when we
noticed a much smaller Mexican cafe across the parking lot.

Instead of the shinny new stationwagons and sedans that were sitting
outside the big place, the small place had a few pick-ups and cars
with rosaries hanging from their rear vision mirrors and little
statues of the Virgin Mary on the dashboards.

The place only had around eight tables and we got the last one. The
small menu was in Spanish - no English - and we were the only gringos
in the place.

My Spanish is a bit rusty, but when it comes to food and drink it
seems to improve automatically. We ordered, exchanged friendly nods
and smiles with the other patrons and then hoed into our simple, but
delicious lunch.

Just for fun, we stopped by the other restaurant on our way out. But
when we saw that their huge menu started out with Margaritas and
offered things like crab enchiladas and salmon tacos with everything
smothered in sour cream, we were glad we spotted the other place..

Don't get me wrong, I also like "comida mexicana agringada" - or what
we used to call Cal-Mex food. But given the choice I prefer the kind
of basic, simple, delicious food I got used to in Mexico and Central
America.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 1:24*pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 06:40:42 -0800 (PST), Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> > I suspect that many of the local Chinese take out joints deliberately
> > misspell, omit articles and screw up subject verb agreement on their
> > menus in order to seem more authentic.

> this is just about the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

I shop at Chinese grocery stores and eat at restaurants that cater
mostly to Asians. I never see that kind of botched English there, but
only at the takeout, fried rice/chop suey places.

> blake

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default St. Paul Sandwich (was: Eating at Mexican restaurants)

On Mar 8, 6:40*am, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> On Mar 7, 1:24*pm, blake murphy > wrote:

> > > I suspect that many of the local Chinese take out joints deliberately
> > > misspell, omit articles and screw up subject verb agreement on their
> > > menus in order to seem more authentic.

> > this is just about the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

> I shop at Chinese grocery stores and eat at restaurants that cater
> mostly to Asians. *I never see that kind of botched English there, but
> only at the takeout, fried rice/chop suey places.

Also, Chinese fast food in St. Louis has other peculiarities:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Paul_sandwich

> > blake

> --Bryan

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-08, bob > wrote:

> out of my way to eat in Mexican restaurants that don't cater for
> gringos.

Being a CA native and having lived their most of my life, I can count on one
hand the number of Mexican restaurants I've seen that don't have English
menus. I saw them cuz I WAS EATING THERE!

> Don't get me wrong, I also like "comida mexicana agringada" - or what
> we used to call Cal-Mex food. But given the choice I prefer the kind
> of basic, simple, delicious food I got used to in Mexico and Central
> America.

The bottom line, just cuz the menu is in Spanish doesn't automatically mean
the food is good. Mexicans are just as capable of serving crappy food as
gringos. The revese is true, also. My carnitas are better than my Mexican
step-mom's.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 8, 6:46 am, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> Also, Chinese fast food in St. Louis has other peculiarities:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Paul_sandwich
>

> --Bryan

Yeesh> You've eaten this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 8, 9:50*am, bulka > wrote:
> On Mar 8, 6:46 am, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>

> > Also, Chinese fast food in St. Louis has other peculiarities: http://en..wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Paul_sandwich

> > --Bryan

> Yeesh> *You've eaten this?

No, not I, but I've seen it on many a menu board. I also avoid other
St. Louis oddities like StL Style pizza, fried bologna and process
cheese on white bread, hot dogs with weenie water gravy, and brain
sandwiches.

At Chinese take out joints I most often order duck wings.

"Six duck wing, no green onion." That's what they call back to the
kitchen.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 14:14:21 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Mexicans are just as capable of serving crappy food as
>gringos. The revese is true, also. My carnitas are better than my Mexican
>step-mom's.

You're right. My son makes carnitas that his hispanic friends swoon
over and say it's not only better than their moms', it's better than
any taqueria/restaurant.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 11:17:26 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>Do you have his recipe? I still have some pork in the freezer that
>needs to be used up. I ended up using that last batch I had thawed to
>make meatloaf last night, much to dad's delight. I've not made meatloaf
>for years.

Unfortunately, he doesn't use a written recipe. I know he
experimented until he produced a flavor he liked, then he took his
show on the road. It doesn't involve the oven. He simmers big chunks
of butt in a huge vat of water.... not sure what all he puts in there,
but the secret ingredient is a packet of taco seasoning. After the
pork is tender, he drains it well and sautes the chunks up on my
stovetop grill (when he makes it at my house) until browned and crispy
all over. The last thing he does is pull/shred it. That's all I
know. Sorry for the lack of detail. I eat it, I don't make it.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-08, sf > wrote:

> of butt in a huge vat of water....

> pork is tender, he drains it well....

Well, there goes most of the pork flavor.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking